Deals of the week: a GTX 970M gaming laptop, premium Z97, and more
Happy Friday, gerbils. It's time to sift through the mountain of deals and discounts from this week to find the very best. Here's what we came up with:
- MSI's GS70 Stealth is an impressive-looking 17.3" gaming notebook with an Intel Core i7-4710HQ CPU and a 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M graphics card inside. The 1080p display resolution is a tad low for a screen this large, but the 16GB of RAM and 1TB hard drive, combined with a 128GB SSD, make up for it. The RGB LED keyboard is nifty, too. Tiger Direct is blowing out the red version of this laptop for $1,499, which is $300 less than Amazon or Newegg's pricing at the moment.
- Newegg has an MSI deal of its own in the form of the Z97 Gaming 5 ATX motherboard. This slightly stripped-down version of the MSI Z97 Gaming 7 that Geoff reviewed a while back looks to offer a nice foundation for an enthusiast PC. The Realtek ALC1150-based onboard audio should sound great, based on my experience, and Geoff praised MSI's firmware fan control features in his review. Newegg is knocking $25 off the Gaming 5's price with promo code EMCATNS63, for an out-the-door total of $125.
- Need a basic 24" monitor? Tiger Direct has Dell's U2412M on sale for a mere $240. For that price, you get an IPS panel with a 1920x1200 resolution, a fully-adjustable stand with tilt, swivel, height, and orientation adjustments, and a built-in USB hub.
- Want a premium SSD at a bargain price? Newegg has Intel's 535 Series 480GB SSD for $180. This drive features hardware-accelerated encryption, and Intel quotes sequential read and write figures of up to 540MB/s and 490MB/s, respectively. Random reads and writes clock in at 48K IOPS and 80K IOPS.
- Last but not least, Newegg has two ECS mini-barebones kits on sale. The ECS Liva features a Bay Trail-M Celeron N2807 CPU, 2GB of RAM, and 32GB of eMMC storage for just $80. The Liva X appears to add a Celeron N2808 CPU, another USB 2.0 port, and 802.11ac Wi-Fi alongside the same RAM and storage specs for $128.
That's all we found this week. If you find a bargain that we missed, be sure to share it with other TR readers in the comments.