It's a Labor Day Deals of the Week extravaganza
It's Labor Day weekend, gerbils. Perhaps that means it's time to spend some of your hard-earned cash on some deeply discounted PC hardware. Let us help. We've collected the best deals we can find from our favorite online retailers, so let's get started.
- Newegg has EVGA's GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0 graphics card on sale for just $290. This card has reference 1050MHz base and 1178MHz boost clocks, which shouldn't be any sweat for EVGA's beefy ACX 2.0 cooler to handle. This card also includes a free copy of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, which has "overwhelmingly positive" user reviews on Steam and costs $60 by itself. For those willing to chance it, EVGA is also offering a $10 rebate card, which could make this GTX 970 an even more appealing deal.
- Newegg also has Asus' Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard on sale for $140, an excellent price for the USB 3.1-infused version of one of our favorite Intel Z97 boards. Skylake CPUs are out now, it's true, but perhaps you're looking for a home for the elusive Broadwell Core i7-5775C, or maybe you just want to build around a Haswell CPU to save a few bucks. This is a good place to start.
- If an X99 motherboard and a Haswell-E CPU are something you've been dreaming about, it just so happens that Asus' X99-A/USB 3.1 motherboard is also on sale this weekend at Newegg. Promo code EMCAXAK42 knocks $20 off the board's current $250 price tag for a grand total of $230. This board is the foundation of our X99 builds in our System Guide, and it garnered an Editor's Choice award in our review.
- Speaking of System Guide staples, the Core i3-4160's slightly faster sibling—the Core i3-4170—is on sale at Newegg for just $110 with promo code EMCAXAK44. This chip packs two 3.7GHz Haswell cores with Hyper-Threading enabled, so it's a fine basis for midrange gaming builds that won't be overclocked.
- Newegg has Fractal Design's Define S case on sale for $70, $10 less than its suggested price at release. The Define S is well-built, roomy, and quiet, all of which helped it win a TR Editor's Choice award in our review.
- There's also a range of terabyte-class SSDs on sale at Newegg for great prices this weekend. We won't devote a whole lot of words to each one, but they're all worthy of consideration:
Whew. We've almost certainly missed some deals in the Labor Day deluge, so be sure to share any other great offers you find with TR readers in the comments. Have a safe and fun holiday weekend.