Deals of the week: a hunk of storage, a fancy mobo, and small PCs
Hello madam, may I come in? I'd like to offer you this leaflet. If you'd be so kind to spare me but a scant few minutes, I'll be able to point you in the direction of the best hardware deals on this side of the internet. No, ma'am, you won't find better anywhere else.
- The Intel Core i5-6500 CPU is a fine mid-range choice for a processor, and it ought to be capable of playing any game you throw at it when paired with a good graphics card. The CPU packs four cores with 3.2GHz base and 3.6GHz turbo clocks, along with 6MB of cache. Newegg is offering it for $190.99 after promo code EMCFFFF22.
- No deals post is ever complete without a storage deal, but today's gigabytes comes in the form of spinning metal instead of a bunch of logic gates. The HGST 6TB NAS drive spins at 7,200 RPM and has server-optimized firmware. The brand's drives consistently top Backblaze's reliability studies, too. This particular model can be yours for $219.99 at Newegg with promo code ESCFFFF26.
- Asus' ROG-labelled items are everywhere these days, and motherboards are no exception. The Asus ROG Maximus VII Ranger Z170 mobo comes fitted with an Intel Gigabit Ethernet adapter, two 10Gbps USB 3.1 ports (in Type-A and Type-C flavors), and an upgraded audio section with an ESS DAC, Texas Instruments op-amps, and DTS Connect multi-channel encoding. Fans of graphics card pairs, trios, or quartets will be happy to know that there's support for Nvidia SLI and AMD CrossFire, too. Newegg is selling this motherboard for $159.99 after promo code EMCFFEM25, which is a fine price for all the gear it's packing.
- The mini-PC craze is well under way, and today we have just a machine for you. The Lenovo ThinkCentre M900 may be tiny, but it sure bites. Inside, there's a Core i7-6700T CPU with four cores and eight threads, clocked at 2.8GHz base to 3.6GHz turbo speeds. A 256GB SSD and 16GB of RAM go with that meaty CPU, making for one mean sandwich-box. Newegg is offering the machine for $799.
- You may prefer your machines even more portable, and we've got just the thing. The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with a Core i5-4300U CPU, 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD is on offer at Newegg for only $649.99. There's a Surface Pen thrown in for good measure, too.
- You've got the tablet, how about a phone? Newegg is running a sale on the sleek-looking Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. The version on offer comes unlocked and packs 32GB of storage. The site is selling it for $399.99, a great deal for a high-end handset. Yes, the deal is hot, but this particular phone doesn't catch fire.
- We like our headphones around here, and we happened to come across a deal on a fairly high-end set. The Beyerdynamic T90 Chrome limited-edition cans offer an open-back design and microfiber head and ear-pads. You can grab'em at Newegg for $299.
- No home-theater or gaming setup is ever complete without the meaty punch of a subwoofer. The Polk Audio PSW505 sub packs a big 12" speaker and an amp capable of pushing 300W continuously. There're connectivity options for just about any situation, too. Grab it at Newegg for only $169.99 and treat yourself to a kick in the chest.
That's all for today, folks. Should you come across any juicy deals that we may have missed, share them with your fellow gerbils below.
There's a chance you're looking for a deal on something we didn't feature here. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, Rakuten, Walmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at the Microsoft Store and Das Keyboard's shop.