Deals of the week: laptops and a mixed bag of goodies
Greetings, fellow gerbils. I know, I know, your credit cards are beaten, bruised, and broken from all the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales. And yet, they must endure the onslaught with a stiff upper lip, as we have yet more deals on offer, some of which will surely tempt you. So you may as well get your wallet out already and step closer to the counter. Here's what's on hand today.
- To shake things up a little, today we're kicking off with laptops. The 2016 MacBook Pro 13" has just arrived, and Adorama is selling the version with a Core i3 CPU at 2.0 GHz, 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD for $1,499.99. That's the machine's regular price, except Adorama is throwing in an AppleCare 3-year warranty in the package for free.
- On the Microsoft corner, we have the Surface Pro 4 convertible fitted with a Core i5 CPU, 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD. Newegg is running a sale on this sleek convertible, and is offering it for $924.99.
- Three pieces make a matched set, and the item that completes our laptop deals is the Asus FZ50VW-NS51. This gaming machine packs a Core i5-6300HQ CPU, 8GB of RAM, and a GeForce GTX 960M graphics. For storage, there's a 128GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive on tap. As an added touch, the keyboard is backlit. The laptop is selling at Newegg for $699.00, a pretty good price for a rather balanced machine.
- Moving on to components, we have the HGST Deskstar 3TB NAS hard drive. This server-oriented 7,200-RPM drive should be ideal for just about any task you'd care to throw at it, and it's on sale at Newegg for only $109.99 after promo code ESCFGEG25.
- The red team has been pricing its cards quite aggressively, and the results are evident. The Visiontek RX 470 4GB graphics card with a blower-style cooler is going for only $159.99. While this cooler style may not be the quietest around, it's more than serviceable for this class of card.
- If you have a need for a little more speed, you should take a look at the Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Nitro. This card comes fitted with a heavy-duty triple-fan cooling setup, and Newegg is selling it for only $259.99. There's a $20 rebard card on offer too.
- Not that long ago, 8GB was a hefty dose of RAM. Now, that amount barely even registers on enthusiats and professionals' radars, who always clamor for more. What you need is a nice, speedy DDR4 kit, like this G.Skill TridentZ 16GB set with two 8GB DIMMs clocked at 3200 MT/s. These would normally go for a pretty penny, but Newegg's Shell Shocker deal shows a price tag of $96.99. Get'em while they're hot.
- Looking for a reliable workhorse monitor? Here's the LG 23MP47HQ monitor. This 23" display has an IPS panel with a 1920x1080 resolution and a 5-ms response time. The only inputs on tap are HDMI and good ol' VGA, and there's no variable refresh rate wizardry, but the price is more than right: $99.99 at Newegg. That's right, only a hundred bucks for an honest, decent monitor.
- If you took advantage of the recent sales on unlocked Skylake CPUs, you may be on the market for a third-party cooler. The Deepcool Gamaxx 300 cooler is relatively compact and comes with a 120-mm PWM fan that ought to push 55.5 CFM of air. It can be yours for only $19.99, and there's a $10 rebate card on offer to bring the price down even further.
- Finally, there's something for your gaming needs. Not every game lends itself to the standard keyboard-and-mouse combination, and that's where a gamepad comes in. The Microsoft Xbox One wireless controller is on sale at Newegg for only $39.99 if you use the promo code EMCFGEG63. That's probably cheaper than a good portion of the terrible knock-off copies flooding the market, too.
That's all for today, folks. Please don't tell your credit card about the impending holiday season deals. The poor thing has suffered enough.
There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, Rakuten, Walmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at the Microsoft Store, the HP Store, and Das Keyboard's shop.