Deals of the week: laptops and spinning storage
Greetings, gerbils. Today's deals are of a rather unique tack. Instead of the usual selection of PC motherboards, CPUs, and graphics cards, today it's (almost) all about computing on the go. The recent splash of Intel's mobile Kaby Lake CPUs means that laptops manufacturers everywhere are refreshing their lineups. That also means that there are good deals to be had on perfectly serviceable, current-generation machines. Roll the tape.
- Let's kick off with an ultraportable notebook. The HP Elitebook Folio 1020 G1 fitted with a Core M-5Y71 CPU, 8GB of RAM, and a roomy 512GB SSD is going for $579.99 at Newegg. That's a good enough deal on its own, but the clinch is that this notebook's 12.5" screen has a resolution of 2560x1440. What's not to like?
- Next up is Microsoft's Surface Pro 3. Yes, we know it's not the latest-and-greatest model, but hear us out. The 12" screen is a 2160x1440 model with accurate pen input. You get a perfectly-fine Core i5-4300U CPU, 4GB of RAM, and a 128GB SSD. And all this is going for $514.99 at Newegg, almost a pittance for a machine with these specs and build quality.
- For a more conventional laptop, we have the Acer E5-575G-5341, whose name just rolls off the tongue like honey. This machine packs a Core i5-6200U CPU with a Turbo speed of 2.8 GHz, 8GB of RAM, and a storage combo with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive. Better yet, the GeForce GTX 950M inside should be good enough for some light gaming. This laptop can be yours for $529 at Newegg.
- If you want something with a bit more punch, we can help, too. The Asus K501UW-NB72 is a 15.6" laptop with a Core i7-6500U CPU, a GeForce GTX 960M graphics card, and 8GB of RAM. The machine's storage compartments contain a 128GB SSD and a 750GB HDD. We're fans of its simple styling, too. Grab one at Newegg for $749.
- Are you a digital pack gerbil? You're in luck, then. The Toshiba X300 7,200-RPM hard drive with 5TB capacity is on sale today. This spinner has a whopping 128MB of cache and should be ready to handle any mass-storage duty you assign it to. Newegg is selling it for $135.99 if you use promo code EMCFGEM25. Allow us to do the math for you: that works out to 2.7 cents a gigabyte. That's not "free," but it's darn close to it.
- If you're thinking of doing a new build, you may want a nice CPU cooler. Something like this Cryorig H7, then. This nicely-finished aluminum cooler comes with a 120-mm fan that should be capable of pushing 49 CFM of air. The heatsink has an interesting "hive fin" design, and the whole contraption is offset in a way that should keep it clear of any tall DIMMs, too. A well-executed cooler like this tends to be expensive, but the H7 is going for only $29.99 at Newegg. Grab it while stocks last.
- We already covered this deal today, but it bears repeating. AMD and Intel have joined forces and are offering a bundle with a Core i5-6600K CPU, an MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB graphics card, and copies of both Doom and Civilization VI for a total sum of $450 at Newegg. That's a heck of a deal, and there's an additional $15 mail-in rebate on offer, too.
That's all for today, folks! If we missed any juicy deals, please post them in the comments section below.
There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, Rakuten, Walmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at the Microsoft Store, the HP Store, and Das Keyboard's shop.