Deals of the week: a relatively affordable GTX 1080 and more
Whew. I'm in a rush today, fellow gerbils, so let's dive right into the best deals we found this week.
- Let's start off with something big. Really big. The Dell Ultrasharp 3417W is a 34" curved ultra-wide monitor with an IPS panel capable of reproducing 1.07 billion colors and covering 99% of the sRGB color space. The curvature radius is a broad 1900R, and Dell says you can expect a static contrast ratio of 1000:1 and a 5-ms response time using the monitor's "fast" mode. You can plug in and use two sources with this monitor, thanks to both picture-in-picture and picture-by-picture mode. A USB hub and a pair of speakers top off the package. Grab one at Newegg for $795.
- Powerful graphics cards are a hot commodity right now, and prices are falling every day. If you were looking to get your hands on the mighty GTX 1080 but don't have over $600 to spare, we can fix that. Newegg has a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 with a triple-fan setup and a 1771 MHz boost clock (in its OC mode) for only $569.99. The card comes with a free copy of either For Honor or Ghost Recon: Wildlands, too.
- Should your budget not stretch quite that far, take a look at the MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB OCV1 instead. This card comes with a dual-fan cooling solution, and MSI says it'll boost to around 1759 MHz. Grab one of these from Newegg for $239.99. That price can be $10 lower if you take advantage of the rebate card on offer.
- Gaming at home is always comfortable, but you can't really lug a desktop machine around. What you want for gaming on the go is something like the MSI GE72VR Apache Pro-009 laptop. This puppy is big at 17.3", but it packs a mean punch. Inside, there's an Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU, a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB graphics card, and a storage combo comprising a 256GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive. Oh, and a keyboard with RGB LEDs, naturally. Grab this laptop for $1349 at Newegg, and take advantage of the whopping $100 rebate card on offer.
- Do you have an enormous stash of cheese pictures? There are few better places to store it than a massive Western Digital Red 8TB hard drive. This particular drive comes with NAS-optimized firmware and should be quiet, speedy, and reliable. I have three of these drives in their 5TB variants and can't say enough good things about them. Get this big chunk of storage from Newegg for $309.99.
- If you're looking for something a little smaller, how about a Seagate Barracuda 2TB hard drive? This spinner has a 7200RPM spindle speed and comes with a 64MB cache. The drive should be more than enough for hosting a big Steam games library, and it's darn cheap: only $59.99 at Newegg.
- Everyone loves some sweet-sounding speakers. The Klipsch Quintet 5.0 speaker set comes with four two-way satellite speakers with a horn tweeter, and a three-way central speaker. The satellites can handle 50W RMS each, while the center channel can deal with 70W RMS of power. That's a lot. This kit doesn't come with a subwoofer, but that's not really a problem, because Newegg is selling it for a mere $219.99. Get'em while they're hot.
That's it for today, folks! If you found any sweet online deals that we missed, please share them with your gerbil brethren in the comments section below.
There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, Rakuten, Walmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at the Microsoft Store, the HP Store, and Das Keyboard's shop.