Ever have one of those weeks? This has just not been the best couple of days for me or for Valve. Yes, the source code that has been posted is the HL-2 source code. Here is what we know:Discussions on many web boards seem to be focusing on the fact that the source leak could help those looking to cheat in Half-Life 2 multiplayer, and there's also some concern that the game's release date could be pushed back again. Many seem to be ignoring the fact that the leak also represents a massive theft of intellectual property, one that appears to have been meticulous in its methods, and malicious in its intent.
1) Starting around 9/11 of this year, someone other than me was accessing my email account. This has been determined by looking at traffic on our email server versus my travel schedule.
2) Shortly afterwards my machine started acting weird (right-clicking on executables would crash explorer). I was unable to find a virus or trojan on my machine, I reformatted my hard drive, and reinstalled.
3) For the next week, there appears to have been suspicious activity on my webmail account.
4) Around 9/19 someone made a copy of the HL-2 source tree.
5) At some point, keystroke recorders got installed on several machines at Valve. Our speculation is that these were done via a buffer overflow in Outlook's preview pane. This recorder is apparently a customized version of RemoteAnywhere created to infect Valve (at least it hasn't been seen anywhere else, and isn't detected by normal virus scanning tools).
6) Periodically for the last year we've been the subject of a variety of denial of service attacks targetted at our webservers and at Steam. We don't know if these are related or independent.
Well, this sucks.
What I'd appreciate is the assistance of the community in tracking this down. I have a special email address for people to send information to, email@example.com. If you have information about the denial of service attacks or the infiltration of our network, please send the details. There are some pretty obvious places to start with the posts and records in IRC, so if you can point us in the right direction, that would be great.
We at Valve have always thought of ourselves as being part of a community, and I can't imagine a better group of people to help us take care of these problems than this community.
Be smart about the comments, guys. Duke Nuked will stomp posts with download instructions, links, Torrents, or screenshots.
|Friday night topic: what are you giving for Christmas?||72|
|Notes from TR's next-gen storage testing||19|
|Today's Steam deals include AC Unity, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel||25|
|Deal of the week: A Radeon R9 290X for $280, a 960GB SSD for $339, and more||1|
|RRAM breakthrough could lead to 1Tb chips built on 28-nm tech||19|
|The TR Podcast 167.5 bonus edition: You guys ask us stuff!||3|
|AC Unity season pass holders can now redeem their free game||13|
|Our bonus TR live stream is up right now!||3|