NVIDIA and ATI launch dueling drivers
NVIDIA has finally released a new, official graphics driver with WHQL certification for everything from the TNT2 through the new GeForce 6 series. You can grab it at their website. This driver, ForceWare revision 66.93, packs a load of enhancements. According to NVIDIA's announcement, the highlights include:
- Added support for GeForce 6600, GeForce 6600 GT, and GeForce 6200
- Added support for NVIDIA SLI
- Added support for using HDTV over DVI connectors
- Added support for 512 MB frame buffer GPUs
- Added support for advanced DVI timing on all GeForce 6 series GPUs
- Added support to recognize and display monitor name in all control panels
- Added support for TV/HDTV setup in the nView Display Setup Wizard
- Updated Gridlines for easier grid setup and management
- Microsoft DirectX 9.0c and OpenGL 1.5 support
NVIDIA says these drivers bring performance enhancements, as well, as one might expect.
ATI also released a couple of drivers yesterday, including one for the E-Home Wonder in WinXP MCE 2005 and the first Catalyst graphics driver for Win98/ME with support for X-series Radeon cards, just in case you want to mix a bad OS with good graphics.
ATI is also running a skinning contest for Catalyst Control Center, so maybe you can help this thing look better than it does right now.