Personal computing discussed

Search found 3571 matches

by Glorious
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:35 am
Forum: Processors
Topic: Is x86 RISC or CISC?
Replies: 37
Views: 1320

Re: Is x86 RISC or CISC?

Reminds me of a discontinued uARCH that didn't take hold that might of replaced IA-32. Hint: IA-64 What I wouldn't give for an alternate reality. I program for multiple IA-64 machines. It's just another computer. The problem with static scheduling by the compiler is that the compiler is missing a l...
by Glorious
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:17 pm
Forum: Processors
Topic: Is x86 RISC or CISC?
Replies: 37
Views: 1320

Re: Is x86 RISC or CISC?

FWIW, in my experience, compared to the commercially important modern "RISCs", the x86 win here isn't huge (though I assume you could design a denser CISC). From my experience, the average gcc-compiled amd64 linux object file is about 85-90% the size of its arm64 equivalent, though it dep...
by Glorious
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:41 pm
Forum: Processors
Topic: Is x86 RISC or CISC?
Replies: 37
Views: 1320

Re: Is x86 RISC or CISC?

The Pentium MMX was the last cpu that executed x86 CISC. Again, this is where the loose conceptual analogy starts to seriously mislead. The P5, of any variety, didn't "execute x86 CISC" in any real sense any more than the P6 (Pentium Pro) did. It was superscalar, with unequal pipes. There...
by Glorious
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:05 pm
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Fallout 76
Replies: 13
Views: 860

Re: Fallout 76

my biggest complaint is managing weight and being overburdened. Yeah, seriously. The biggest issue with the game isn't a technical bug, it's this huge gameplay "bug" that they've (thankfully!) already promised to address. And they need to address it fast, because it's "unbearable&quo...
by Glorious
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:03 pm
Forum: Processors
Topic: Is x86 RISC or CISC?
Replies: 37
Views: 1320

Re: Is x86 RISC or CISC?

The main characteristic of what people call RISC these days is that instructions for memory access and operations on that data are decoupled, and that instructions tend to be either fixed length or simpler variable-length encoding than x86. It's not a particularly interesting debate anymore. As Int...
by Glorious
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:03 am
Forum: Processors
Topic: Is x86 RISC or CISC?
Replies: 37
Views: 1320

Re: Is x86 RISC or CISC?

Well, the ucode ROM and x86 decode blocks being almost as large as a performance driving unit like Int or FP seems like a reason it may have had difficulty scaling down to where ARM is. Intel is putting -EIGHT- entire high performance cores on mid-tier consumer desktop processors now. The GPU is ~3...
by Glorious
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:54 am
Forum: Processors
Topic: Is x86 RISC or CISC?
Replies: 37
Views: 1320

Re: Is x86 RISC or CISC?

I wonder what that underlying ISA is like. It's different for each micro-architecture (sometimes a lot, sometimes a little). Intel documents some of it, indirectly, because it impacts the performance of ISA. Other people have deduced and empirically discovered further details, again, indirectly: th...
by Glorious
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:25 am
Forum: Networking
Topic: Comcast AP and WiFi calling
Replies: 49
Views: 1688

Re: Comcast AP and WiFi calling

It happens more than you'd think. And, yes, sometimes it ends poorly. Why would a dumbass MBA go to the trouble of hiring potentially not-precious-enough employees when they can farm the work out to some bottom rung contractor that blows smoke up their butt instead? Contractors and Consultants are ...
by Glorious
Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:32 pm
Forum: Networking
Topic: Comcast AP and WiFi calling
Replies: 49
Views: 1688

Re: Comcast AP and WiFi calling

I didn't even know where to start, but I was hoppin' mad just from the nonsense I already responded to.


I don't even...

Major projects done by "agency" "temp workers"?

No.

MANY TIMES -NO-
by Glorious
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:51 pm
Forum: Networking
Topic: Comcast AP and WiFi calling
Replies: 49
Views: 1688

Re: Comcast AP and WiFi calling

C-cast operates only by affirmative action and "whom-do-you-know" requirement, actual knowledge takes back seat. Uh, WOW. You, of course, have "actual knowledge" of this? /s Or are you just providing some unrelated "social commentary" (to put it mildly ) that's complet...
by Glorious
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:46 pm
Forum: General Hardware
Topic: How to remove a heatsink secured with over-torqued screws?
Replies: 29
Views: 1385

Re: How to remove a heatsink secured with over-torqued screws?

JBI wrote:
It's a common misconception that HDDs are hermetically sealed.


People also misunderstand or sometimes just misstate the term, which is understandable because it's figuratively (and originally literally) occult. :wink:
by Glorious
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:27 pm
Forum: Apple Sanctuary
Topic: Modern Macbooks...really worth it?
Replies: 69
Views: 1773

Re: Modern Macbooks...really worth it?

How, pray tell, would new Macs switching to ARM turn current Macs into paperweights? That's just silly. A company with limited resources, such as Apple, simply could not afford to maintain two different architectures for their OS. Especially once you consider that in order to do this switch in the ...
by Glorious
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:40 pm
Forum: Apple Sanctuary
Topic: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?
Replies: 179
Views: 3589

Re: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?

I see End User has accepted a definition of "everybody with more money than me is wealthy and I'm clearly middle class without regard for the rest of the society around me" End User, as I've been saying, is completely delusional. A 2 million dollar concept car as the demarcation of "...
by Glorious
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:23 pm
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Blizzcon
Replies: 81
Views: 1902

Re: Blizzcon

derFunkenstein wrote:
He became the world champion with trash race Zerg... Amazing. He may have suffered many hardships as Zerg. I recommend you have medical checkups.


Oh man that's still savage even when hilariously translated.
by Glorious
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:24 am
Forum: Apple Sanctuary
Topic: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?
Replies: 179
Views: 3589

Re: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?

derfunk wrote:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯


I feel the same way, I guess.

I'm not sure what we even disagree about.
by Glorious
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:41 am
Forum: Apple Sanctuary
Topic: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?
Replies: 179
Views: 3589

Re: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?

Apple markets its enterprise stuff to non-techies. Chief officer levels. It's born out of the way Apple (no hyperbole) reinvented the smartphone in 2007. The wealthy had to have it, and now they're demanding their IT departments integrate with it. They know you're going to switch over your stuff be...
by Glorious
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:00 pm
Forum: Apple Sanctuary
Topic: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?
Replies: 179
Views: 3589

Re: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?

How am I an android fanboy, again?
by Glorious
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:39 pm
Forum: Apple Sanctuary
Topic: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?
Replies: 179
Views: 3589

Re: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?

I’m still recovering from the fact that you have a 5 year old phone. 1) It makes calls! 2) It has Chrome! 3) It has Plex/Netflix Why do I need a new phone? What would your obscene spending habits actually buy me? Please regale me with stories about how you're such a power-user. I'm clearly no such ...
by Glorious
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:36 pm
Forum: Apple Sanctuary
Topic: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?
Replies: 179
Views: 3589

Re: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?

A fine hardware dongle indeed. I have no real quibble with hardware dongles. I have several on my desk at work. I have a parallel port one, even. We also have ones from vendors that cost a lot more than a completely decked out Macbook Pro. Plus, you know, the special "Key servers" (i.e. n...
by Glorious
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:31 pm
Forum: Apple Sanctuary
Topic: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?
Replies: 179
Views: 3589

Re: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?

End User wrote:
So no Android Pie then.


Why don't you back up what you said and demonstrate how I'm an android fanboy? Not going to do that, are you?

Because, in reality, I had to google to even know what that was.
by Glorious
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:28 pm
Forum: Apple Sanctuary
Topic: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?
Replies: 179
Views: 3589

Re: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?

Want to develop for Apple? You need Apple hardware. So why would you be unable to read their tract? Because the "Apple hardware" everyone in my company already has is an iphone SE? You know, the one with the tiny 4 inch screen? That I now have to pick up, type a url into, and then read a ...
by Glorious
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:21 pm
Forum: Apple Sanctuary
Topic: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?
Replies: 179
Views: 3589

Re: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?

I agree it's a little weird, but you basically can't do anything for enterprise without a Mac. And if you're hard up for an iBook reader, an iPhone or iPad will do. No, I am saying that if you want business to really switch over, you don't start by assuming they already have. but if you're going to...
by Glorious
Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:28 pm
Forum: Apple Sanctuary
Topic: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?
Replies: 179
Views: 3589

Re: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?

Well, you can't develop for iOS on a non-Apple platform, either. I'm well-aware of this, and we've talked about before. If you're interested in deploying enterprise apps on iOS, you've got a Mac somewhere that can read the book. Not necessarily true. Years ago someone in my company absolutely was i...
by Glorious
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:21 pm
Forum: Apple Sanctuary
Topic: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?
Replies: 179
Views: 3589

Re: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?

What are you even asking? What is the point you are making? My point is obvious: I literally can't do anything like my job on iOS, because Apple has deliberately disallowed it. Apple has deliberately disallowed tons of fundamental features that general purpose OSes have, you know, like a regular fil...
by Glorious
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:11 pm
Forum: Apple Sanctuary
Topic: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?
Replies: 179
Views: 3589

Re: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?

End User wrote:
Apparently not for iOS.


No one develops for iOS on iOS.

Because you can't.
by Glorious
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:05 pm
Forum: Apple Sanctuary
Topic: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?
Replies: 179
Views: 3589

Re: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?

End User wrote:
As in day job? Platform?


What?
by Glorious
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:29 pm
Forum: Apple Sanctuary
Topic: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?
Replies: 179
Views: 3589

Re: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?

Anyway, I welcome Derfunk's correction to my outright ignorance, but while I was completely wrong and Apple -DOES- have something, it still appears to be pretty limited and not very well explained. The "wtf" was for Apple, because it wants me to use their ecosystem just to be able to read ...
by Glorious
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:23 pm
Forum: Apple Sanctuary
Topic: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?
Replies: 179
Views: 3589

Re: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?

Well, not until I unplug it and go back to a very thin, light, fast slate. Right, it's a laptop until it's a tablet. And you want it to be a tablet when you aren't doing "worky" stuff or when you want to just travel. Hm. Isn't the whole point of a tablet that it's a self-containted, easil...
by Glorious
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:14 pm
Forum: Apple Sanctuary
Topic: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?
Replies: 179
Views: 3589

Re: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?

No, come on, you know that's not true. I know that now , cause you just told me. Thanks! There's been an enterprise deployment option for at least a few years now: I was completely ignorant of this, and I've never heard of it. My company certainly doesn't use it. EDIT: It is still built around Appl...
by Glorious
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:54 pm
Forum: Apple Sanctuary
Topic: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?
Replies: 179
Views: 3589

Re: Another Apple Event - new iPads Pros incoming?

It's deeper than that: let's say I could "develop". Ok, how do I deploy? How does my company use my application? Submit to Apple, or whatever? Seriously? So -ANYONE- can download it? I mean, it's a consumer device guys. Intentionally. It's not a "limitation" in Apple's eyes, it's...