Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:55 pm

just brew it! wrote:
RMAing the entire device was a non-starter, as it weighed a couple hundred pounds and was semi-permanently attached to something else which weighed several tons.

Like an A-10??
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:42 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
RMAing the entire device was a non-starter, as it weighed a couple hundred pounds and was semi-permanently attached to something else which weighed several tons.

Like an A-10??

No, different job. For the A-10 the FRU containing our firmware was a roughly 3 lb box mounted in the side console of the cockpit, which could be swapped out by undoing 4 captive fasteners and a couple of cables. I also wrote the code to handle the in-place firmware upgrades the first time around (instead of having to fix someone else's mess), so it generally tended to work. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:11 am

Paid time off is a wonderful thing.

I've only been at work once in the last week.(That was on Wednesday.)

I don't have to be back until next Monday.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:32 am

Well that was easier than I thought it would be. For some reason I remembered installing pfsense as being hard. After the install it asked if I wanted to drop down to a shell to make any manual changes, and then asked again before rebooting. Not exactly the sort of thing you'd see while installing Win10, or even Ubuntu. :lol:
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:07 pm

I know i should be past these sorts of ideas but, remember the days when you pressed the power button on your computer then went to take care of things while it started. Somewhere along the lines SSD's and a few windows improvements made the startup times so short that i press the button, then sit down, and it's ready.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:51 pm

Do yo even turn your PC off? Mine usually goes into hibernation if I’m not using it.
i7-9700K, H100i v2, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:55 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Do yo even turn your PC off? Mine usually goes into hibernation if I’m not using it.

The only time I turn my computer off is when updates require me to.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:25 pm

I don't like leaving my power cord plugged into the laptop while i'm driving. Most devices don't handle continuous impacts and vibrations on ports very well so the truck is pretty quick to break most things. I've learned good practices to protect my electronics.

Also related, i try to protect the truck from the same damage. I'm using a peltier cooler for my food, it works well enough and for a while i had it sitting on the passenger seat. I noticed that there was a ton of plastic dust against the door where it was touching and i was worried that it was eating away at the door. I had it backwards, there was nearly a hole in the side of the cooler. I also have to buy high strength jugs of water :lol: The standard milk jug style will get eaten through and i'll lose an average of one a week. The trucking life is extremely hard on anything really, endless vibrations will always win.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:16 am

A shout out to Logitech.

The delete key on my G710's number pad stopped working. I tried reloading the software, tried it on a different machine. Nada. First time in my life I've seen just a single key die (it couldn't have been the scroll lock or insert keys?!). I don't use Excel much at home but when I do, that lack of "." is really annoying. So I contacted Logitech support thru their website and then back and forth in a series of emails. I had bought the G710 back in March, don't know what the warranty is but I don't expect much after 90 days.

Surprisingly enough they sent me brand new G910 (they don't make the G710 any more and the 910 was closest to the 710 in features) and didn't ask for the old one back.

The G910 is working fine (only thing I dislike is that the palm rest is non-removable). I'm happy that they were willing to send out a new $180 keyboard as a replacement half a year after purchase of one that had a minor but annoying break.
Main rig: Ryzen 1600, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:54 am

MileageMayVary wrote:
A shout out to Logitech.

The delete key on my G710's number pad stopped working. I tried reloading the software, tried it on a different machine. Nada. First time in my life I've seen just a single key die (it couldn't have been the scroll lock or insert keys?!). I don't use Excel much at home but when I do, that lack of "." is really annoying. So I contacted Logitech support thru their website and then back and forth in a series of emails. I had bought the G710 back in March, don't know what the warranty is but I don't expect much after 90 days.

Surprisingly enough they sent me brand new G910 (they don't make the G710 any more and the 910 was closest to the 710 in features) and didn't ask for the old one back.

The G910 is working fine (only thing I dislike is that the palm rest is non-removable). I'm happy that they were willing to send out a new $180 keyboard as a replacement half a year after purchase of one that had a minor but annoying break.

I had a similar experience with a Logitech mouse that I'd already owned for three years. I wasn't expecting or asking for a replacement, since it was out of warranty - I just contacted Logitech support to ask about the availability of spare parts to try and do a fix myself. Instead, they sent me a Performance MX (top of the line at the time). Logitech support is awesome.