JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: Dumbest Comments from Non-Tech Types

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:23 am

just brew it! wrote:
"The Internet"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DZbSlkFoSU&t=08s
:roll:
1: i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32GiB, RX Vega64, ½TB 960Pro +2TB MX500, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, LG 32UD99 + UltraSharp U2410, RK9000V2-BR
2: R5-3600X, Wraith Spire, B450M Steel Legend, 32GiB, RX5500XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, P160, SS-660XP2, TV, G610

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:28 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
"The Internet"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DZbSlkFoSU&t=08s
:roll:

See that and raise you this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbyYGrswtg
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:05 pm

End User wrote:

You need to take a look at this - 76% of the respondents still had an optical drive of some type in 2014.
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:33 pm

It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:58 pm

Walkintarget wrote:
One last one ... did you ever have a customer so dense that they equated buying a laptop with wireless built into it to the laptop being able to provide the wi-fi hotspot ?? Yea, like, just turn it on, click on the browser and you are ONLINE !! Nooooo, I explained. The laptop relies on a transmitter, or we can call it a router if you like, and the laptop would then be its receiver. She was mad .. thought the store had deceived her. I got the hell out of there and never looked back :lol:

But this IS indeed the case with the iPad, which is essentially a computer that can provide a hotspot, so naturally today's users will believe that if an iPad can do it, then so can a laptop. Which makes me think in the bigger picture, is the customer really wrong to think a laptop should be able to do this? After all, a laptop is a COMPUTER and EVERYTHING has phone service these days.

So maybe it's manufacturers who are behind the times and not customers who are clueless! :lol:

BoBzeBuilder
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:36 pm

I had an argument some years ago with an idiot selling laptops at BestBuy. He kept telling everyone that Core Duo is a dual core processor so Core 2 Duo must be a quadcore. When I corrected him, it was as if I insulted his girlfriend. He got pretty defensive and kept saying I don't know what I'm talking about. :roll: The least they can do is a little bit of basic research.
i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz / Cooler Master V8 / Asus P8P67 Evo / 8GB G.skill DDR3-1600 / Zotac GTX 780 3GB / Seasonic S12-650 / Samsung 850pro 256GB SSD / Corsair 600T Graphite / those cheap 1440p Korean monitors

Skullzer
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:48 pm

I work in a retail setting and I'm known in the store as the computer guru, even though I have no training, just a computer enthusiast. We constantly have issues with our verifone pin pads and receipt printers, and one day I just couldn't get something to work so I called our technology help desk. The first question they always ask when troubleshooting is "is it plugged in". ive learned over the years that doing the basic troubleshooting first saves a lot of time. I was embarrassed to find out that in fact I did not have a printer plugged in, this was discovered after the technician was sent out from an hour and a half drive. He looked at me like I was the dumbest person on earth lol. Oh well, at least he got paid for the job!
Office PC:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 | ASUS M4A87TD Evo | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 970 4GB | Antec BP 550 | Antec 300 | Win 7 64
HTPC:
Intel i5-4570 | ASRock H87M | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 960 2GB | Corsair CX430M | Fractal Design Node 605 | Win 7 64

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:53 pm

I don't consider comments from clients dumb and it takes some practice to be able to respond in a loving way when they accuse you of doing something wrong. The most common comment that I hear is that because you worked on something (even months ago) this new issue must be caused by whatever you did. That one is always hard to deal with, but sometimes it's actually true because of something unforeseen. So I always start with "Well, it's certainly possible but they don't seem related, lets get this fixed." Of course then when you figure out the root cause you let them know how it came about and that it wasn't related. Even the most consistent complainers eventually stop pointing the finger at you the next time they have a problem.

The approach makes a huge difference in difficult situations and sometimes it takes a while before you see a change in the client. Just some hard learned wisdom over the years being an outside consultant but it applies to anyone helping someone else that isn't as educated in the subject at hand.

Here is an honest to goodness ticket sent in by one of my clients a little over a year ago that I absolutely adore:

My *redacted* laptop took a crapola prior to my trip to East Coast last week, shall I bring it in or have *redacted* or someone look at it during next visit?

No emergency but I do need it when traveling. Had it fully charged last Monday, used it at work to check it out; at home that night to check my flights, it started making noises like a tiny midget inside pounding on something with a hammer. Tried reboot several times, same thing and error messages.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

astrotech66
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:18 pm

While helping someone at work, I was remoted in to their computer and I told them to open up Google in their browser (I cant' remember why). They typed "Google" into the little search box in IE next to the address bar, which was set to use Google as the search engine, and then when the search results came up with Google.com as the top result (naturally), they clicked on that to get to Google. I was like, did I really just see that?

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:18 pm

My mother, sadly, has become one of those people who has this sort of workflow:

• 1. Decides she wants to check her e-mail.
  • 2. Opens Chrome, searches for "google.com".
  • 3. Now at Google, does a search for "gmail.com".
  • 4. Looks through the search results to figure out which one might be Gmail. Presence of the URL "gmail.com" apparently has no significance in this context.
  • 5. Once Gmail loads, pulls out her wire-bound, physical paper notepad that contains all of her logins, passwords, and notes on the semi-mystical black boxes that are computers and the Internet. The notes, logins and passwords are arranged in no logical order. Spends ~5 minutes finding the correct login and password, enters them.
  • 6. Reads exactly one [1] e-mail, then closes the entire freaking browser.
  • 6a. If reading another e-mail is desired, returns to Step 1.

When I first saw this I was dumbfounded, but she's my mother so I didn't want to make her feel dumb, so I politely asked why she was going about such a convoluted series of steps to get to her e-mail. She had no answer - it was just the way she'd figured out, and it "worked". I tried to show her that she could just type in "gmail.com" and hit Enter, but it didn't stick - she was back to her method the next time I saw her.

At the very least, I got her to start using the back button on her browser to go back to her inbox, instead of closing the entire browser. She lives in a very rural area with miserable Internet speeds, so reloading everything over and over and over was an incredible waste of time.

VincentHanna
Gerbil

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:38 pm

End User wrote:
so they werent able to watch a dvd

I'm stunned that you agreed to build a system with an optical drive.[/url]

I'm putting that as my "stupidest thing said by a non-techy" quote...

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:22 am

So I forgot this little fun experience I had a few months ago... I was running to Office Max (now bought by Office Depot or the other way, whatever). I was running in to grab a USB wireless adapter for a customer who was in a bind and I was fresh out of them. I walked down the isle with networking equipment and right next to me was a maybe 19 or 20 year old girl working there and a couple in about their early 60's. She was attempting to guide them through a router purchase and I overheard her saying that the router they picked up would not work for them since it was a "cloud router" not internet router.

I bit my toungue for about 5 minutes of the conversation before eventually I couldnt hold it in anymore and I made a suggestion about which router would be ideal for them (being that they are on Hughes Net, like 1mbps down here). The employee quickly tried to tell me why it wouldnt work for them because its designed to be used "with the cloud which they dont have".

So I explained in the simplest terms what the router was actually doing, showed them why they could use a cheaper router for their connection and they were blown away that the wired and wireless WORKED TOGEHER!!!

They asked how I knew so much about this stuff to which I replied that I run an IT shop which further blew their minds. All said and done as I left with my USB NIC the employee was up near the front and she said to her co-workers "yeah he just helped me out a lot back there... he is smarter than all of us!"
She looked over at me and smiled and told me thank you so much for the help and gave me a look that sort of said.. "Have my kids."

Defninently one of the funniest and most awkward situations. Once she let me explain while we were in the isle, she admitted that she wasnt really sure about the difference and they trained them on the cloud thing....

Its funny how none tech savvy people precieve those of us with even what we consider to be basic.

Ohh... people who call the internet "the cloud". **** marketing hype bs ever.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

dogchainx
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:21 am

biffzinker wrote:

Swear in the first panel.

Yeah...but someday it'll be THIS (I can't post URLs yet, so search for Penny Arcade's December 12 2005 cartoon)

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:23 am

Welch wrote:
So I forgot this little fun experience I had a few months ago... snip

I bite my tongue in electronics stores unless it will speed up my transaction. You never know if you're going to have to explain computing from first principles or not.

marraco
Gerbil

Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:20 am

Some day a friend of mine phoned to ask for help. His PC power source broke.

I unplugged the power, opened the case, bridged the power, and it didn't worked. Replaced the power source, and it didn't worked. Surely was a dead motherboard.

Then I bridged the new power source, and it didn't worked!

Then I discovered that the power cable was not connected to the stabilizer.

redavni
Gerbil

Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:11 am

ozzuneoj wrote:
"What kind of computer do you have?"

"Verizon."

"..."

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ ... Review/891

Don't even get me started...

I had a lady who needed her Cloud app to work on her phone while insisting on telling me how much she didn't trust the cloud with every other sentence. When I asked if she didn't trust it, why not use some other service to back her oh so important pictures of her cats to, she says "There is a reason they came out with the cloud!"

Then there are the people who are surprised to find out that removing a battery from a phone that has a non-removable battery means you just broke your phone. I love these people.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:24 am

dogchainx wrote:
biffzinker wrote:

Swear in the first panel.

Yeah...but someday it'll be THIS (I can't post URLs yet, so search for Penny Arcade's December 12 2005 cartoon)

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/12/12

YES.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:06 am

You guys will find it even more funny that my original post about the DVD playing had a simplier explanation than I could have ever thought.

So the computer I built them is a SFF based machine in a Silverstone Sugo case. Its been mounted behind a 50" TV and the person who design and built the shelf for it placed it at about 7 foot high.

So when she went to insert the disc she was dropping the disc into the CD/DVD drive and shutting the bay... only problem was it is a slimline DVD which requires you to click it into place, unlike the 5.25 version that have a "passive" tray. So of course the dvd wasnt being read. Somehow she managed to close the drive door, not break or damage the disc and not damage the optical drive...

Yeah she felt stupid especially when she watched the DVD pull up flawlessly and start playing with zero user input...... ahhhhhh priceless moments.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Pez
Gerbil

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:32 am

This thread's hilarious. Makes me glad I no longer have to support end users and just the infrastructure :D

This sub-reddit should entertain you all then:

https://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport/

And some goldies here:

http://www.talesfromtechsupport.com/

Enjoy :)
i5-4670k @ 4.4GHz - ASUS Maximus Gene VI - Sapphire Radeon FURY - Custom Watercooling - Corsair 350D
Acid Techno DJ

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:25 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
When I get rude/arrogant people asking for help I just tell them that it's not my responsibility, but that I can help them for an <exhorbitant> hourly fee.

If they refuse, throw them a bone by putting them at the worst possible starting point (like, for example with your codec issue, pointing them to Microsoft's Support Portal instead of in the direction of suitable player/codec pack)

IME it's impossible to change or educate rude, arrogant arseholes so you might as well milk them for every dollar you can and earn their respect at the same time - Sometimes that even makes them a little less rude and arrogant towards you, even if they're still awful human beings to everyone else.

Yes, I'm an awful human being - and it's great.

I've started asking for $60/hr for people I don't want to help. up to $100/hr for ones that have made me mad.
Makes most walk away.
Side note... things I know would take me 15 minutes I've seen people hit by 2-3 hours of shop charges which range here $35-50/hr
I would have been cheaper.

PainIs4ThaWeak1
Gerbil

Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:18 am

Welch wrote:
You guys will find it even more funny that my original post about the DVD playing had a simplier explanation than I could have ever thought.

So the computer I built them is a SFF based machine in a Silverstone Sugo case. Its been mounted behind a 50" TV and the person who design and built the shelf for it placed it at about 7 foot high.

So when she went to insert the disc she was dropping the disc into the CD/DVD drive and shutting the bay... only problem was it is a slimline DVD which requires you to click it into place, unlike the 5.25 version that have a "passive" tray. So of course the dvd wasnt being read. Somehow she managed to close the drive door, not break or damage the disc and not damage the optical drive...

Yeah she felt stupid especially when she watched the DVD pull up flawlessly and start playing with zero user input...... ahhhhhh priceless moments.

You see, this kind of thing frustrates me to no end. While I don't support end-users anymore, I think that fact has made my beliefs even stronger about this topic.

One personal belief in particular: If you cannot execute the functions/requirements of your job, you (and I'll be nice here) "should move on". (But I really wanted to say "be let go".) Don't get me wrong, I understand one can't possibly KNOW everything, but if an individual is of one that has been "wasting space" (so-to-speak) in a position for YEARS, and cannot, for example, PUT A FRIGGIN' DVD INTO A DVD-ROM DRIVE (assuming this is something that is required by the individual on, at least, a semi-regular basis), then BE GONE!

(And in my case, seeing that kind of example usually makes things worse for my mental-well-being, considering my employer (A Federal Government entity) - eg. Someone who cannot perform, who, in essence, is wasting tax-payer dollars. ... Drives me up the wall.)

wizardz
Gerbil

Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:29 am

the one i get the most at the office is "the network is slow". you know walking down a corridor and walking by someone who says "hi, how are you?, have you noticed the network is slow today?"

funny how every single problem can be categorized by "the network is slow".

they do SQL reports that takes 10-15mins to burp back. the network is slow.
they are copying 25GB from a file server to a USB1 thumbdrive. the network is slow.
they are accessing an application that is running on an NT4 workstation ( yeah we still have one or two of those) the network is slow.

and when you try to explain that the "network" as they call it has close to nothing to do with a server/application/crappy usb stuff being slow. then you try to explain that said networks has a very low over provisioning. (gig to desktop, 10G/40G core..that is with less than 100 users ).

i stopped caring.. and i now respond..yeah i noticed they're having issues with the servers..open a ticket with helpdesk..

Ravenor1
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:28 pm

When i was younger i was working on the Tech side at a Staples. Had a customer come in and talk to me about some computer stuff. All fairly normal. He then proceeded to thank me for my time and asked one last question. "Do you have any staples?". I had to stand there for a second to truly figure out if he was kidding or not. He wasn't. Stone cold serious. I pointed him in the right direction went in the staff room and had a long hard chuckle to myself.
Asus Maximus V Gene
Intel 2700K w/Noctua NH-D14
G.Skill TridentX 16Gig DDR3 2400
Asus Strix GTX 970 4Gb
OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB SSD, Corsair 120GB SSD, PNY 480GB SSD, WD Red 2TB
Cooler Master HAF-X
Corsair AX850
Xonar DX
24" BenQ V2400W

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:24 pm

wizardz wrote:
the one i get the most at the office is "the network is slow". you know walking down a corridor and walking by someone who says "hi, how are you?, have you noticed the network is slow today?"

funny how every single problem can be categorized by "the network is slow".

they do SQL reports that takes 10-15mins to burp back. the network is slow.
they are copying 25GB from a file server to a USB1 thumbdrive. the network is slow.
they are accessing an application that is running on an NT4 workstation ( yeah we still have one or two of those) the network is slow.

and when you try to explain that the "network" as they call it has close to nothing to do with a server/application/crappy usb stuff being slow. then you try to explain that said networks has a very low over provisioning. (gig to desktop, 10G/40G core..that is with less than 100 users ).

i stopped caring.. and i now respond..yeah i noticed they're having issues with the servers..open a ticket with helpdesk..

First thing they teach you at DBA school is 'blame the network while you solve the problem
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 7 2700X | RX 5700 XT | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:37 pm

pikaporeon wrote:
First thing they teach you at DBA school is 'blame the network while you solve the problem

...while knowledgeable users blame the anti-virus and network security suite instead! :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

wizardz
Gerbil

Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:52 pm

just brew it! wrote:
pikaporeon wrote:

...while knowledgeable users blame the anti-virus and network security suite instead! :wink:

can't we blame the storage guys instead?

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:01 pm

Years ago I was working support at a small company when one of the senior level executives calls me and demands that I come over immediately because his computer won't power on. So I ask him the obvious: Is it plugged in? He responds that yes it is plugged into the power strip under the desk. So I ask is the power strip plugged in? He responds that yes the power strip is plugged in and that he isn't a f--king idiot.

So I go over and sure enough the computer is plugged into the power strip and the power strip is plugged into... itself. I chuckle to myself and plug it into the wall and power up the machine. Mr. Exec demands to know what the problem was; so I tell him:

Me: The power strip was plugged into itself.
Exec: So what?
Me: Um... it has to be plugged into the wall...
Exec: When why didn't you tell me that over the phone?

wizardz
Gerbil

Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:55 pm

cphite wrote:
Years ago I was working support at a small company when one of the senior level executives calls me and demands that I come over immediately because his computer won't power on. So I ask him the obvious: Is it plugged in? He responds that yes it is plugged into the power strip under the desk. So I ask is the power strip plugged in? He responds that yes the power strip is plugged in and that he isn't a f--king idiot.

So I go over and sure enough the computer is plugged into the power strip and the power strip is plugged into... itself. I chuckle to myself and plug it into the wall and power up the machine. Mr. Exec demands to know what the problem was; so I tell him:

Me: The power strip was plugged into itself.
Exec: So what?
Me: Um... it has to be plugged into the wall...
Exec: When why didn't you tell me that over the phone?

unplug the power bar from the wall and plug it unto itself quick enough to trap the electricity inside so you can get infinite electricity.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:03 pm

One of my mechanical engineering graduate students was mad at nVidia because:

"I should be able to get desktop performance graphics chips in a laptop that run cool and are inexpensive. The only reason they don't offer it is because they are a bad company."

There's a trend with people that learn a large amount in acute areas of knowledge where they try and overextend principles that they learn into other areas of life. This generally happens in 1 on 1 support with an individual. I don't fault people for trying to build models of reality using the current principles they learn, that's just basic progression. I do fault people for holding those models as infallible and expressing contempt when potential evidence towards other models is presented, simply because they have had the initial model proven in it's intended environment.

The other issue I see a lot in IT is people expressing embarrassment and frustration towards external sources to free themselves of any blame. This typically happens in group situations, very common with A/V issues with meetings. I understand that people can be embarrassed in a group environment, almost regardless of the reasons. I do not appreciate when people try to shuffle blame on sentient beings with any sort of serious conviction without reasonable logic.

Both of these issues are present in any profession but I think the "magic" around some lines of work amplifies the likelihood of deviant behavior.

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:18 pm

wizardz wrote:

You know, I say this to the IT guys at my work, because I can actually tell when it is. If my web based SQL database is slow to load, and also google, and also outlook; its probably the network being slow. But not, IT guys can't be wrong, right? Well hell yes they can, especially when they are Dell contractors.

That same web based database program, coworker is having issues with it loading (Silverlight based) on a new laptop, I explain to the IT guy that we need elevated user permissions so that 1. we can install silverlight as its not on the default push 2. when IE tries to run the web based program it will allow silverlight to activate 3. when it finally downloads the client side files of the web app, that its allowed to run it. His solution? "Oh there was a virus going around corrupting people's user profiles, so I'm going to copy the entire user profile, delete it, then copy everything back, I'm pretty sure that will fix it." So after my coworker and I watched him attempt this, he finally got the account elevated, got all the appropriate permissions set and what do you know... its working.

Low + MId level IT support is absolute dog **** and almost worse than clueless consumers, as they expect every problem to be fixed by a flowchart from a manual. And when its something that's simple but not in the manual? "We're gonna have to do a Full Wipe to fix this". Sigh.
I am jaded. I am cynical.