on a related note, does Noctua make bathroom fans? :wink:

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Anyone repair anything today?

Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:11 am

llisandro wrote:
on a related note, does Noctua make bathroom fans? :wink:

I'm sure you could rig one with a 12V power brick. Some duct tape and string might also be involved...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

llisandro
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:33 am

I guess that would negate, my primary, umm, secondary reason for using the fan. :oops:

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:21 am

How about a Delta?

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:56 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I'm a little surprised they can get hot enough to start a fire, given the relatively small amounts of power these motors use. But I imagine current draw goes up during a stall; combine that with the airflow stopping and you've got a bad combination.

Yeah, it's a cumulative thing, on the order of hours. But since the fan is stalled, people are less likely to notice that the switch is still turned on (or in the case of the blown timer, that the switch is incapable of turning off the circuit).
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:59 pm

That reminds me that I need to actually install the exhaust fans. Our house is old enough to have been built before that code was in-place. I ordered the stuff off Amazon about 6 months ago but never installed them in either bathroom. Now the weather is cool enough that I can go in the attic without sweating to death.

Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:19 pm

Waco wrote:
An air compressor with a good impact wrench works magic on bolts like that. Done are my days with 6 foot levers and lots of weight only to break tools and/or snap bolts.

PB Blaster + impact wrench == unstuck bolt. :)
Makes me wonder how its possible to compare static torque wrench measurements versus variable torque impact wrenches.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

Darkmage
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:58 am

The sole of my shoe started to become unglued from the rest of the shoe. I tried a quick fix with a hot glue gun, but that lasted about two days. So last night I mixed up some epoxy and did it that way. Pop in something long on YouTube and just held it closed while the epoxy dried. So far, so good.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:10 am

Darkmage wrote:
The sole of my shoe started to become unglued from the rest of the shoe. I tried a quick fix with a hot glue gun, but that lasted about two days. So last night I mixed up some epoxy and did it that way. Pop in something long on YouTube and just held it closed while the epoxy dried. So far, so good.

Shoe Goo

--SS

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:20 pm

My neighbor shared this nugget with me a couple months ago. Anyone hate those annoying dried water splotches you get when you wash your car in the driveway? It's annoying, especially on the windshield. Wet a (clean) rag with white vinegar and wipe those pesky spots right off!!

This was a "duh" moment for me when he mentioned it, but I'd never thought of it.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Kougar
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:58 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:

Or GOOP, they made a shoe variety. GOOP comes in many formulas. It's like liquid duck tape but better if you match the right formula for the need. Besides the different materials the formulas are designed for most goo/goops have different water resistance, setting temps, and high temp thresholds so keep an eye on those if shopping between various goo/goops and the like.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:02 pm

DPete27 wrote:
My neighbor shared this nugget with me a couple months ago. Anyone hate those annoying dried water splotches you get when you wash your car in the driveway? It's annoying, especially on the windshield. Wet a (clean) rag with white vinegar and wipe those pesky spots right off!!

This was a "duh" moment for me when he mentioned it, but I'd never thought of it.

It also removes mineral deposits from beer fermenters. Not that most of the other people reading this thread would care... :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:00 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
Waco wrote:
An air compressor with a good impact wrench works magic on bolts like that. Done are my days with 6 foot levers and lots of weight only to break tools and/or snap bolts.

PB Blaster + impact wrench == unstuck bolt. :)
Makes me wonder how its possible to compare static torque wrench measurements versus variable torque impact wrenches.

The impact wrench is set to break away at its torque limit...and re-engage, break away again, and again, several times a second. Has the effect of hammering the bolt loose (or tight) with dozens or hundreds of impacts at the torque limit, rather than one massive, over-torque twist with the breaker bar, which tends to crystalize the metal in the bolt shaft. For wheel lugs and other bolts with significant torque limits, you're supposed to stop using the impact wrench as soon as it breaks the first time, then use a static torque wrench to finish the job.

Speaking as someone who has replaced a lot of sheared wheel studs, not all of them my fault.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration