Today's repair project -- a stained glass lamp.
Some background. As a wedding present, my mother had commissioned a beautiful, custom, hand crafted stained glass lamp. It hung in the entry way in our old house. A few years after we got married, we were having a new bed delivered and as the mattress was being carried upstairs, it shifted and bumped the lamp. In slow motion, it came loose from its chain and fell onto entryway floor. The damage was substantial, but amazingly repairable. I shipped it back to the craftslady who made it and she put it back together, good as new.
One weak spot in the design of the lamp are the mounts for the chains from which it hangs. The attach to copper wire hooks that are attached to the inner seam in the corners of the lamp. I don't know if it was missed in the initial repair, or just happened over time, but two of the mounting wires had pulled away from the lamp and needed to be repaired. In the below, I've been the wire out a bit to give room to work in the corners of the lamp.http://kovarindustries.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_20190818_130814561.jpg
First up was cleaning the seam with Goo Gone, to get rid of remnants of the adhesive from the original copper foil. I also removed the foil and solder from the mounting wire and sanded it lightly to get rid of any remaining patina, or other oxidation.
Did that on both sides, then it was time to lay new copper foil on the seam. Not easy, given the physical constraints of the space, the light weight of the foil, and the aggressiveness of the adhesive. But, I got both sides in, pretty cleanly.
I picked up a Weller WLC200, just for doing this repair. Ok, this repair was a good excuse to pick up a high powered iron that I will probably used two or three times a year, but at those times, it will be extremely handy to have. Also picked up a container of liquid flux and a pound of solid core 60/40 solder.
Soldering the joints was an interesting exercise due to the constrained space, the wire in the joint, and the fact that this was my first time doing stained glass work. http://kovarindustries.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_20190818_141513108.jpg
All in all, they turned out satisfactorily. Not as clean as some of the original seams, but that may actually be a positive as these seem to be a bit stronger. I thought about touching up the other two as well, but decided that I'd be better leaving them alone as they were showing any signs of separating from the corners. The solder bead runs all the way up the corner, past the mounting wire and joins the bead from the outside of the corner to give some structural integrity and to keep it from being just the adhesive on the copper foil that is keeping the top of the mounting wire from pulling away from the corner.
I have a bottle of black patina arriving tomorrow so that my new solder will match the finish of the rest of the lamp. Once that's done, I can hang it back up. It goes in the stairway of our current house.
A couple of pictures from before I took it down for repair...