Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Anyone repair anything today?

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:04 pm

The wife put her jet ski back together today (she tore it bare yo paint the hull) and fired it up for the first time! It was a Craiglist rescue we weren't sure would even run.

Mine, on the other hand (also s Craigslist steal), has the motor out and completely torn apart to redo seals. Rebuilt the carb too. With any luck the engine will be firing up tomorrow and ready to ride Sunday!
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:04 pm

Waco wrote:
The wife put her jet ski back together today (she tore it bare yo paint the hull) and fired it up for the first time! It was a Craiglist rescue we weren't sure would even run.

Mine, on the other hand (also s Craigslist steal), has the motor out and completely torn apart to redo seals. Rebuilt the carb too. With any luck the engine will be firing up tomorrow and ready to ride Sunday!
I helped a friend assemble 2 working jet skis from 3 used jet skis purchased on E-bay. They were 80HP; I don't know if that's high or low, but so much fun to ride.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:24 pm

80 HP is pretty decently quick no matter the hull, really. The two old ones we have are standups - a JS550 and an X2. Very difficult to ride well, but a real workout and tons of fun once you figure it out. My JS550 only has 41 HP stock, the X2 has a few mods that push it up into the nearly 60 HP range.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:47 am

So last weekend, I went to visit my daughter in Arkansas and to replay the dishwasher at our house there. When we bought the place, we knew the dishwasher was old, likely 90s vintage unit, so this wasn't totally unexpected. The trigger was a report of a damp spot underneath the front of the door. No water running out on the kitchen floor or anything, just a bit under the door, where the bottom cover fits. I was expecting a bit of a puddle underneath, but nothing like what I found.

There was about 1/4" of standing water underneath the dishwasher that extended out under the cabinets.

At that point, I started ripped out "melted" particle board. Even bettter, I found that the bottom, underneath the sink, was put in before the water lines were soldered in place, so you couldn't just lift it out.

Not entirely sure what was underneath the bottom. Looked like a combination of old paper towels and styrofoam beads. In ripping stuff out, I found the mold had already set in.

I ripped out all the damaged wood and cleaned everything up. It all got sprayed down with a bleach solution to head off growth of any further fuzzy stuff. The three poles are 2x2s that are temporarily supporting the counter top.

Under the cabinets to the left in the above photo, you can see the water damage on the sheetrock continues and there is rippling visible on the surface of the next divider. To the right you can see a water line all the way at the back of the cabinets. Eventually, I'll need to replace all of it.

The goal for this trip became to return the kitchen to a functional state as my entire July is full and the next time I'll be able to go up is probably mid-August. With the water cleaned up and dried out over night, Saturday morning I started rebuilding cabinet interiors. Rather than just put in plywood dividers, I opted to be a little more complex and try and keep the access under the cabinets open to help with further drying.

With the dividers and supports back in place, I put back the original face of the cabinets.

Cleanup was about three hours Friday night. Rebuilding was about five hours Saturday morning, including the run to Lowe's to get materials. I didn't actually take a picture of the thing completed with the new dishwasher in place, but unless you know exactly what to look for, your really can't tell until you open the cabinet doors under the sink.

--SS

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:58 am

Nice work! I feel like every house project begins with such a simple concept and is immediately followed on by 37 sub-projects to clean up the mess you found with project #1.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:22 pm

Your "temporary fix" is cleaner than my permanent fixes normally are. :lol:

SecretSquirrel

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:57 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Your "temporary fix" is cleaner than my permanent fixes normally are. :lol:

I helped build my parents house growing up, worked construction one summer during college, and am generally mechanically inclined, so that helps. Considering I had a subset of my tools, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Missed my miter saw though.

--SS

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:33 pm

The Squirrel does excellent work!
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:34 am

Working on my 5971 MS. I got my E2M2 backing pump motor bearings rebuilt; ran for a day and got 5.4 mTorr so the pump is good. Then yesterday I replaced the diffusion pump oil ($90 for 18.5mL) and cleaned or replaced and re-greased all the seals. Also changed the transfer line tip to a straight through design. Put in a new tuning vial and seal and new PTFBA. Put it all under vacuum and when the whole rig reached 17 mTorr I started the pump-down. I hope when I check it this morning; I will see a good and robust vacuum. It will probably still be a week before the vacuum gets hard enough to make a good calibration run.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:37 am

Had to google what that was. I'm jealous. My parents had a good friend who worked for Agilent as a senior technical support. That's some complicated stuff!

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:40 am

This weekend, the drain on the tub broke at the linkage. Lost count of how many toilets and swamp coolers I've fixed. But, I've never worked on a tub drain before. The face plate drain link had broken. She showed me how you fish out the little cylinder and linkages. I was surprised how simple this was to repair. Just a new face plate and cotter pin kit and we had a working drain again. That drain has been partly broken for at least 20 years because you had to put a weight on the end of the lever to get the tub to drain. If I had realized how dead simple it would be to fix.... :o Ah, the wasted time. :D

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:45 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Had to google what that was. I'm jealous. My parents had a good friend who worked for Agilent as a senior technical support. That's some complicated stuff!
Owning and running a lab is just a blast. This July I made my final payments on the loans for my business. I now own it all outright. I still have a loan on the building.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:47 am

Mr Bill wrote:
This weekend, the drain on the tub broke at the linkage. Lost count of how many toilets and swamp coolers I've fixed. But, I've never worked on a tub drain before. The face plate drain link had broken. She showed me how you fish out the little cylinder and linkages. I was surprised how simple this was to repair. Just a new face plate and cotter pin kit and we had a working drain again. That drain has been partly broken for at least 20 years because you had to put a weight on the end of the lever to get the tub to drain. If I had realized how dead simple it would be to fix.... :o Ah, the wasted time. :D

I had a similar experience about a year ago. Ours was hair that had clogged the drain over the decades. Once I wrapped my brain on the mechanical linkage, it was dead-simple.

TechieZero
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:42 am

I work as a system administrator, I repair something every day (it means I'm someone who knows where's "Any Key" on keyboard).

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:17 am

TechieZero wrote:
I work as a system administrator, I repair something every day (it means I'm someone who knows where's "Any Key" on keyboard).

Show off!

(I have the same job...)
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

liquidsquid

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:58 am

As an engineer, I create stuff that someone else gets to fix when they misuse it!
Completely replacing an enlarging a garden pond on a shoestring budget. Means a lot of sweat equity.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:59 am

Aranarth wrote:
TechieZero wrote:

Show off!

(I have the same job...)

I had that job for 8 years. I feel your pain!
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

SecretSquirrel

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:41 am

I've had a run of successful repairs, and onlly one was house related. :D

First up, my Moto X Play. Ever since the last OS upgrade the phone has randomly shutdown due to "low battery", at anywhere from 30-50% of remaining charge. Once it shut down, it would not stay on until you plugged it into a charger long enough for it to register that it was charging. Then you could power it up and all would be well for some random amount of time. When powering back up it would register whatever battery level it was at when it registered the initial "low battery" condition, unless I left it on the charger, of course. A bit of Googling found several threads about the problem across several different Moto models. Suggestions for a fix ranged from factory reset, to running the battery to empty, to a battery replacement. I took the back and mid-frame off mine and disconnected the battery. I rigged up a connection to one of my battery chargers I use for RC LiPo batteries and cycled my phone battery a couple of times. It would take at least two thirds of its rated capacity. I say "at least" because I wasn't sure what the low voltage cutoff the phone used was and so used a fairly conservative 3.2V like I use on my plane batteries. Put it all back together and lo and behold, all is right in the world again. Automatic low power shutdown occurs where it is supposed to, between 3% and 5%.

Next up, the house related fix. Well, not so much house, as appliance. My wife had been complaining that the dryer was taking forever to dry things. She said she thought it wasn't heating. Finally got some time to look at it. Sure enough, just blowing cold air, even when set to high heat. Checked the heater relay on the control board and it was switching properly, so no new control board needed. However, that meant taking it apart. Luckily I can tear the thing down in about 15 minutes. After doing it four or five times, you get good. All the connections to the heater were good. Low resistance across the heating coil, so it wasn't broked. Found the high temp thermostat to be open circuit. Checked to make sure the heating coil wasn't shorted to the frame -- it wasn't. Bypassed the thermostat and put everything back together to verify functionality. With the thermostat bypassed, it blew hot and properly cycled the heater to keep the temp in the 150-180 range when on the high temp setting. Ordered a new themostat from Amazon. Due to travel, I had to delay putting the new thermostat in until next weekend. Not a big deal as laundry was done so no need to use the dryer during the week.

Final repair was my spare Pac Man logic board. When I got my Ms Pac Man, it had two main boards in it. I got one working a while back, but the second had been modified (poorly) at some point. I had removed the spaghetti wires and repaired the board mods. I had to replace one chip which had a snipped leg and reinsert a pulled leg on another. A couple of traces needed repair as well. Even after all that, the board still just showed junk when powered up. Socketed chips were switched with known good ones from the other board, to no avail. It had sat in that state for most of July since I had been travelling. Yesterday afternoon I pulled out the scope and started tracing signals. After a bit of probing, I found the bcd to decimal decoder (74LS42) that drove the program EPROM chip select lines was showing all outputs high (active low) so none of the program ROMs were active and the CPU wasn't getting a program to run. The inputs appeared to have signals. This was the chip that I had to re-insert a pulled leg, so I pulled it off the board to test it. Of the board, it tested fine. Putting a meter on the ouput signals didn't show any shorts and did show continuity to the various EPROMs. Putting the chip back in yieled the same behavior. I should have been a little more careful when checking the input signals before I unsoldered it as a second round with the scope found one of the inputs floating. Following it back showed a damaged section of trace. I think it was part of the modification attempt that I missed, but I'm not postive. I quick patch and it fired right up when plugged in. :) The board still needs some rehab work -- capacitor replacement mainly -- but at least it is functional now.

--SS

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:45 am

Squirrel, you are amazing!

I had the same issue with my Moto G4 and I used an Ifixit kit to replace the battery.

Was wondering when we would hear more about your arcade repairs.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:47 am

Spent the last few days tinkering with my old (gen-1) Pixel, which had a rapidly failing battery. Was pretty sure the glued screen would be in jeopardy so I replaced the phone with another Pixel before attempting the job, then ordered the iFixIt battery and tool kit ($30).

I was right. It's nearly impossible to get the right combination of heat and finesse on that thing, especially around the sides where there's 1.5mm of glue and a fragile OLED panel another half-mm beyond, and the screen was quickly ruined. Fortunately, that's also a fairly cheap replacement if you can live with a non-OE panel ($30 again on eBay). It eventually came back together and now I've got a spare Pixel for use with A/V projects, which I wanted anyway.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

The Egg

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:00 am

MileageMayVary wrote:
I had the same issue with my Moto G4 and I used an Ifixit kit to replace the battery.

I was thinking the same thing. On the same topic, Galloping Ghost now has 2 satellite buildings which appear dedicated to repairing their machines. With 724 games now and a dedicated pinball building, they've gotta be making the same sorts of board repairs all day, every day. Since they've just been taking over nearby vacated retail storefronts (and appear kinda sorta'ish open to the public), maybe I should stop in and suggest they get something going on YouTube.

SecretSquirrel

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:05 pm

MileageMayVary wrote:

Lots of travel in late June and all of July. Two of the trips were for vacation, so I can't complain too loud, but still, I've been gone more of July than home. At least one, if not two trips in August as well. Hopefully it will settle down a bit then. :D

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:55 am

Replace the rear drum brakes in my wife's Corolla. Went pretty smooth. Only involved 1 extra trip to the store when I sliced the rubber boot open by accident on one of the cylinders. Went ahead and replaced both sides. They're probably original and thus 13 years old. All that's left is to bleed the brakes. They work but are really soft.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:07 am

ludi wrote:
Spent the last few days tinkering with my old (gen-1) Pixel, which had a rapidly failing battery. Was pretty sure the glued screen would be in jeopardy so I replaced the phone with another Pixel before attempting the job, then ordered the iFixIt battery and tool kit ($30).

I was right. It's nearly impossible to get the right combination of heat and finesse on that thing, especially around the sides where there's 1.5mm of glue and a fragile OLED panel another half-mm beyond, and the screen was quickly ruined. Fortunately, that's also a fairly cheap replacement if you can live with a non-OE panel ($30 again on eBay). It eventually came back together and now I've got a spare Pixel for use with A/V projects, which I wanted anyway.
Our experience has been that its cheaper (in grief) to get the whole screen unit than to try and replace just the panel.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:40 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
Our experience has been that its cheaper (in grief) to get the whole screen unit than to try and replace just the panel.

Yeah, that's exactly what it was. Glass, digitizer, OLED, the whole bit. It's all fabricated as a single sub-assembly with one ribbon cable back to the main body of the phone.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:13 pm

Today I broke my win95 installation while trying to upgrade to win98. I have it backed up but sheesh. The win98 upgrade hung at 99% after hours of thrashing and now I have to take it back to Win95 before I try to upgrade again. Upgrade, because I don't have a functional floppy drive to read the Win98 system boot disk. Gonna have to dig up one of my win95 copies at home. Apparently work has the CD's but never kept the COC. I've forgotten how those were distributed. The COC's are on the back of the CD case or on the front of the book for win98. Its been forever since I thrashed around with such old software. We have old versions of DOS and Chemstation that appear to be melted into their disk holder jackets. Fortunately, I saved my personal ones much more carefully, I think.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:53 pm

Back when it was the new thing, W95 to W98 was a reformat/reinstall.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:53 am

Captain Ned wrote:

If you have a working CD rom drive then you boot off the cd.
If you don't then you can use a flash drive to boot the machine if it has a new enough bios, then run the install from the flash drive.
Just copy the install files from cd to the flash drive on another machine.
Install from flash is surprisingly quick!

There is an unofficial SP2 for win98 that includes later updates from M$ and various third party updates, bug fixes, and features.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

SecretSquirrel

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:49 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
I've had a run of successful repairs, and onlly one was house related. :D
Next up, the house related fix. Well, not so much house, as appliance. My wife had been complaining that the dryer was taking forever to dry things. She said she thought it wasn't heating. Finally got some time to look at it. Sure enough, just blowing cold air, even when set to high heat. Checked the heater relay on the control board and it was switching properly, so no new control board needed. However, that meant taking it apart. Luckily I can tear the thing down in about 15 minutes. After doing it four or five times, you get good. All the connections to the heater were good. Low resistance across the heating coil, so it wasn't broked. Found the high temp thermostat to be open circuit. Checked to make sure the heating coil wasn't shorted to the frame -- it wasn't. Bypassed the thermostat and put everything back together to verify functionality. With the thermostat bypassed, it blew hot and properly cycled the heater to keep the temp in the 150-180 range when on the high temp setting. Ordered a new themostat from Amazon. Due to travel, I had to delay putting the new thermostat in until next weekend. Not a big deal as laundry was done so no need to use the dryer during the week.

The high temp thermal fuse blew on the first real load of laundry run through the machine. :evil: Back to Amazon. Ordered a new fuse, as well as all the other heating related electrical bits -- a second thermal fuse (there are two), thermostat, and thermistor. Replaced everything on Monday. Ran a load through Monday evening and it survived that. Hopefully it will keep going this weekend when we do normal laundry.

I've taken this dryer apart so many times, I can have it stripped completely apart and put all the way back together in about 20 minutes.

--SS

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:01 am

Aranarth wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

If you have a working CD rom drive then you boot off the cd.
If you don't then you can use a flash drive to boot the machine if it has a new enough bios, then run the install from the flash drive.
Just copy the install files from cd to the flash drive on another machine.
Install from flash is surprisingly quick!

There is an unofficial SP2 for win98 that includes later updates from M$ and various third party updates, bug fixes, and features.
I found a working floppy drive and one out of 4 Win98 floppy disks that worked. Oddly, once the system was booted, the DVD drive could not read the Win98 disk, (at all!). But I could put a different disk in the drive and read that.

So, I took the SSD I was trying to install this on and copied to the SSD the Win98 install files. Then I booted from the W98 floppy and directed it to the Win98 install files on the SSD and things finally went to completion.

I should add that a while back, I moved the win95 partition onto a 32GB SSD and fooled the old motherboard (which only has IDE connectors) with some SATA to IDE adapters on both the SSD and the SATA DVD. Ran that way for a quite a while so it actually works. Have no idea if that maybe made the win98 CD (But not other CD's) invisible.