Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Anyone repair anything today?

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:18 am

Waco, that is cool.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:14 pm

I'm sitting at the MVD now to see if I can get it titled this week. :)
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:47 pm

Waco wrote:
I'm sitting at the MVD now to see if I can get it titled this week. :)

How does that work? Does it get a kit-car designation, or some other type of specialty vehicle? Do they issue a VIN?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:47 pm

Specially constructed vehicle in New Mexico, so with any luck I'll have my VIN assigned tomorrow. :)

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:47 am

Another 18 months under the bridge, and another cleaning and re-lube of the piston in the ever-faithful Harbor Freight 3-gallon "hotdog" compressor that I use for pumping tires. For how cheaply the piston is built, it's kind of astounding that this thing works as well as it does.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:04 pm

Yesterday morning as I went to leave for work: push the start button.... RRRRRR RRrrrrr rrrrrr click. It probably would have started had it been an old school, turn the key to engage the starter system, but the voltage just dropped too low to keep the computer alive. I knew the battery was weak and would need to be replaced before the weather turned cold, but it decided that now was the time. Put the charger on it on the 10A setting and that was enough to let is start yesterday. 30 minutes to work put enough charge in it that it was fine for the day. This morning? RRRRRR RRrrrrr rrrrrr click. Trip to the auto parts store for a new battery.

Replacing a battery is no big deal, right? Well, all the filters and other replaceable stuff is easy to get to in my car. The battery is a pain. Multiple trim pieces and gaskets have to come out and the the retention bracket... easy to get off, a pain to get back. Anyway, 45 minutes, and a lot of sweat (its 95 deg and about 50% humidity) later, it starts right up. Now I just have to do the front suspension, but that's going to the shop. I learned my lesson the last time I messed with front struts.

--SS

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:45 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
Now I just have to do the front suspension, but that's going to the shop. I learned my lesson the last time I messed with front struts.

I am lucky to still have the use of both eyes, due to a DIY front strut replacement many years ago.

I have not repaired anything today, but I did clean the carpet in a roughly 4 foot circle around the kegerator. It was really disgusting.

On the way to doing this, I discovered that people have been using the Shop Vac without the proper dry filter in place (just the foam wet filter). No idea where the dry filter went, I suspect it never got put back on after a neighbor borrowed it to clean up a flooded basement, and none of the other family members who use it thought to check. Fortunately I had a spare foam wet filter to replace the one that was hopelessly clogged with crap. It made some funny noises when I first turned it on, and made unhappy smells after running for a while... but I got through the carpet cleaning.

It's a really old Shop Vac (20+ years), so I wouldn't be heartbroken if I had to replace it, but still...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:09 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I am lucky to still have the use of both eyes, due to a DIY front strut replacement many years ago.

I did a 4-strut replacement roughly 20 years ago with dodgy spring compressors. No chance I'm trying that again at my age and lack of agility, even if the struts come complete with secured tophats and springs. I read the torque specs in the service manual for the lower strut bolts, then wonder why my entire body weight at the end of a 6-foot lever arm (floor jack handle slipped over the breaker par), which creates torque of roughly 9 times the manual spec (I'm delivering close to 2000 ft/lb), won't break them loose. Finally had to upgrade to impact sockets on that job, as Craftsman/Sears (before the decline) was getting sick of seeing me come in with busted sockets.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:55 am

An air compressor with a good impact wrench works magic on bolts like that. Done are my days with 6 foot levers and lots of weight only to break tools and/or snap bolts.

PB Blaster + impact wrench == unstuck bolt. :)

SuperSpy

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Many years ago when I got my S10, I put a coat of spray on bed liner inside the box to prevent the real bed liner (hard plastic drop-in) from rubbing the paint off. A few years ago I got rear-ended and the box was replaced, and I forgot to even look at it after the body shop put it back.

So last week I decided I would re-spray it as I could see the liner had worn a few spots down to bare metal. Of course, when I took it off I found a rust hole in one of the wheel wells. :roll:

So I spent a few nights grinding off the rust and preparing some replacement sheet metal to weld on the box, and finally got to get to priming and painting over the weekend, and finally got to spraying on the bed liner on Sunday. Of course I ran out just as the store closed.

So tonight hopefully I get to wrap that project up.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

Kougar

Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:38 pm

SecretSquirrel, I know that feeling well. Takes about the same amount of time to swap a battery in my car. Ironically my car is now also in the shop for new front struts... but that leads into a general question I wanted to ask...

Today came out of my favorite sub shop after lunch and found the car wouldn't start, obvious weak electrical connection. Popped the hood and found the positive battery terminal had all but disconnected from the battery. It's a sidewall terminal style battery... and the thing wouldn't screw back into the battery. Battery is <18 months old. Had to get my car towed to the shop because of a single bolt-screw (not even the AAA guy and tower guy could get it to mount again). Anyone else had a battery terminal mount pop itself out with enough force to strip the terminal screw threading before??

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:51 pm

Waco wrote:
An air compressor with a good impact wrench works magic on bolts like that. Done are my days with 6 foot levers and lots of weight only to break tools and/or snap bolts.

I recently tried that method along with a hand-held torch to heat and cool some corroded/fused exhaust flange bolts but had no luck. This gave me a good reason to get a new angle grinder to cut the bolts off and complete my project replacing stock exhaust on my Tundra truck with a Borla dual cat-back bolt-on kit. Northern road salting eats up the standard exhaust connections so I opted for the T304 stainless steel version with side exhaust since I pull trailers occasionally. The job was easy enough to do in my driveway but the bolt cutting and working out the rusted bolts was the most tedious part.
I checked torque settings and reset after a few weeks and all is good. I like Borla's mellow sound with the 5.7L engine and it is not brappy sounding. It does roar when I stomp it!
ImageImageImage
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:16 pm

G8torbyte wrote:
Waco wrote:

I recently tried that method along with a hand-held torch to heat and cool some corroded/fused exhaust flange bolts but had no luck. This gave me a good reason to get a new angle grinder to cut the bolts off and complete my project replacing stock exhaust on my Tundra truck with a Borla dual cat-back bolt-on kit. Northern road salting eats up the standard exhaust connections so I opted for the T304 stainless steel version with side exhaust since I pull trailers occasionally. The job was easy enough to do in my driveway but the bolt cutting and working out the rusted bolts was the most tedious part.
I checked torque settings and reset after a few weeks and all is good. I like Borla's mellow sound with the 5.7L engine and it is not brappy sounding. It does roar when I stomp it!
ImageImageImage

ARRG I hate it they cheap out on bolts on exhaust systems. Need 316SS ones, look for F593G on the head for std bolt and A4 for metric bolts for 316SS
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

SecretSquirrel

Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:59 pm

Kougar wrote:
SecretSquirrel, I know that feeling well. Takes about the same amount of time to swap a battery in my car. Ironically my car is now also in the shop for new front struts... but that leads into a general question I wanted to ask...

Today came out of my favorite sub shop after lunch and found the car wouldn't start, obvious weak electrical connection. Popped the hood and found the positive battery terminal had all but disconnected from the battery. It's a sidewall terminal style battery... and the thing wouldn't screw back into the battery. Battery is <18 months old. Had to get my car towed to the shop because of a single bolt-screw (not even the AAA guy and tower guy could get it to mount again). Anyone else had a battery terminal mount pop itself out with enough force to strip the terminal screw threading before??

Did you do the last swap, or did a shop? If the terminals are lead, its really easy to strip the threads out over torquing the bolt. Even if you just started breaking the threads off, a year and a half of road vibration would certainly do the rest for you. Could also just be a defect in the battery manufacture.

--SS

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:42 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
Kougar wrote:

Did you do the last swap, or did a shop? If the terminals are lead, its really easy to strip the threads out over torquing the bolt. Even if you just started breaking the threads off, a year and a half of road vibration would certainly do the rest for you. Could also just be a defect in the battery manufacture.

--SS

Yeah I see this happen all the time at my job. People always tend to crank the side post screws way too tight, and the terminals in the battery are soft lead...it doesnt take much effort to strip the heck out of them. Just tighten them until they stop, go more and your toast.

Kougar

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:36 am

Thanks guys. It's possible I overtightened, I can't rule that out since I installed the batt. Wasn't planning on it but that was when I found out Costco no longer did battery installs and the battery in it had lasted just long enough to get me to the store after a jump, so I took half the engine compartment apart to swap it out in the parking lot. :P My usual mechanic will install the new batt this time, before they put new front struts in.

Puolitwer
Gerbil

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:51 am

I was able to repair the fan today due to minor malfunction. Glad I have some basic tools at home.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:14 pm

My E2M2 backing pump had a switch failure that brought down my old 5890/5971 GC-MS. I cleaned and rebuilt my HP 5971 MS source, rewired the E2M2 backing pump, and replaced the big stock vacuum tube with a tiny triode vacuum tube and an HP 59864B ionization gage. :D

Have good vacuum and no leaks but now having trouble that the diffusion pump is showing its cold when its actually hot. Might have to vent and replace the thermcouple. Darn it. :roll:
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

SecretSquirrel

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:37 am

Yesterday's project was to change the spark plugs in my 2011 G37s. It's got 107k on the clock and they were due. Damn iridium plugs are expensive! Not at all a hard job, but definitely one that you don't accomplish without the correct tools. 14mm thin wall plug socket, socket extension, 5mm hex socket, and a torque wrench (really two) are a must. The 5mm hex bolts on the throttle bodies are torqued to 6.25 ft-lbs, which is below the bottom range of my large torque wrench and the plugs are 14 ft-lbs which is at the upper limits of my small torque wrench.

Cleaned both throttle bodies while I had them off and replaced the throttle body mounting gaskets for good measure. The whole job took about two hours, including a couple of interruptions, and probably a third of that was time spent cleaning the throttle bodies. I just got the car out of the shop. The front right strut had started to leak so I had them replace all four corners. No way was I going to fork over ~$500 for them to do the spark plugs (a not even the throttle bodies).

Everything went back together fine, no parts left over :lol:. Purrs like a top -- not that it was really showing signs of plug or throttle issues. I tend to be a bit proactive of maintenance of this car as I really would like another six years or so out of it. At that point, the daughter will be out of college, and I can go buy a "fun" car. :D

--SS

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:56 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
I tend to be a bit proactive of maintenance of this car as I really would like another six years or so out of it.

Like you, I "pre-load" the preventative maintenance. I expect to buy a new ride every five years and that the old one will have roughly 130K miles on it when it goes. I don't worry about body dings, but I can guarantee the next owner that the mechanicals have been properly cared for.

The local shop I've used for almost 30 years now can print out a full service history on any car I've ever run through there, including the oil changes they've done on my cars for 15 years or so where I supply them the oil, the filter, and the Subie oil-pan crush ring. Between time and dollars spent, I'm on a first-name basis with the owner, let alone the front line. They are quite accustomed to my odd requests.

Young gerbils: Do yourself right and make this kind of relationship. A long-term shop will tell you what needs to be done now and what can be pushed off for another 10K miles or so. They know they're getting the business.

SecretSquirrel

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:14 am

Captain Ned wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:
I tend to be a bit proactive of maintenance of this car as I really would like another six years or so out of it.

Like you, I "pre-load" the preventative maintenance. I expect to buy a new ride every five years and that the old one will have roughly 130K miles on it when it goes. I don't worry about body dings, but I can guarantee the next owner that the mechanicals have been properly cared for.

The local shop I've used for almost 30 years now can print out a full service history on any car I've ever run through there, including the oil changes they've done on my cars for 15 years or so where I supply them the oil, the filter, and the Subie oil-pan crush ring. Between time and dollars spent, I'm on a first-name basis with the owner, let alone the front line. They are quite accustomed to my odd requests.

Young gerbils: Do yourself right and make this kind of relationship. A long-term shop will tell you what needs to be done now and what can be pushed off for another 10K miles or so. They know they're getting the business.

I second this. Finding said shop may take some work though. It was much easier to find the "good" shops when I lived in a less urban part of the country. Private shops are quite plentiful here, but "word of mouth" knowledge regarding quality and trust seems much harder to come by. For a long time, I had a mechanic that I would actually travel out of state to take my car to for major maintenance. Between trusting that I could drop it off and tell him to go over it will a fine toothed comb and get back to me with the prioritized list, and the fact that labor rates were half what they are in the DFW area, it was quite worth it.

--SS

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:32 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
It was much easier to find the "good" shops when I lived in a less urban part of the country.

The joys of Vermont. I happened on this shop when I moved in with my girlfriend (later wife, and SWMBO) somewhere back in the last century (1990 or so). The lead service writer has a kid the same age as my daughter so we've seen each other at school events since forever. I've brought them printouts of the factory service manual when I ask them to do something "above and beyond".

Say what you may about small town USA, but it works for me.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:13 am

Another fidgety smartphone repair, this time the rear camera in my Nexus 5X. Camera glass cover breakage event #8 on a recent business trip shot a shard down into the assembly and wrecked the focus motor. Thankfully, replacement camera modules are less than $20, and I had a toolset from previous work on my wife's iPhone.

I have no idea how humanity survived before iFixIt.

SecretSquirrel

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:53 pm

Today was one of those days where things just are harder than they should be. To start with, my daughter lost the key to her care about a month ago. Luckily we have a spare and we seeing her on the weekend right after she lost it (she is away at college). Unfortunately, her car has an immobilizer and the keys have transponder chips in them, Since she is home this weekend for a four day weekend, I figured it would be a good opportunity to get another spare cut. Of course the locksmith I normally use didn't have any blanks. Ordered a pair of blanks from Amazon and ordered a little OBD dongle that is supposed to be able to add both the "fob" remote and the transponder chip. The remote worked just fine. The transponder, not so much. The dongle appears to start the programming sequence, but it doesn't proceed. Not sure if the dongle is bad -- its a Chinese job and reviews were mixed -- or if it's because the key she still has isn't an original and so isn't programmed in as a master key. So tomorrow morning, its off to the locksmith so they can use their fancy programmer.

Following that, I went to change the battery in my wife's Durango. It had started cranking slow and I am pretty sure that the first real cold snap would have done the battery in. First can the sticker shock -- $200+ for the battery. I guess it takes a pretty hefty battery to start a big V8. They came the missing battery. Or rather being unable to find it. A quick trip to Google located it... under the passenger seat. Not the easiest location to get to and definitely not the easiest place to get a 50+lb battery out of. Luckily there weren't any other real surprises and everything is buttoned back up.

--SS

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:37 pm

The vent fan in the upstairs hall bathroom has been making some increasingly unhappy noises these past couple of weeks, so I decided to take a look.

Here's what I found:

Completely disassembled it (including taking the motor apart to get at the bearings), cleaned it up, and oiled it:

Runs much better now. :wink:

llisandro
Gerbil

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:03 pm

Aw man, this is on my to do list :o

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:23 pm

Kinda makes you itchy just looking at it, doesn't it? :lol:

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:45 pm

llisandro wrote:
Aw man, this is on my to do list :o

Don't let it drag out. These shaded-pole motors usually don't have stall protection, and can start a fire if they seize and then remain powered for a few hours beyond that. I've seen the fire aftermath (attic fire in a townhome unit three buildings down from ours five years ago, one unit gut-refurbed for smoke damage and two adjacent units partially damaged); and in a separate incident, I've seen the stall overload blow out a solid-state timer switch and short the triac, which would have led to the same result had the owners not been there to notice and disconnect it. No bueno.

llisandro
Gerbil

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:08 am

You're right, I need to get on it, but keep putting it off. replacement fan/motor seems to be ~$25 for my model- thinking I'll buy a new one, swap out the one that's whining a bit, so I can clean it at my leisure, then swap it in the next bathroom, etc. This will be on the list to do over Thanksgiving vacation!

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:15 am

Well that is pretty darned terrifying. :o I guess "check the rest of the vent fans in the house to see if they have similar buildup" (I'm guessing yes...) just got added to my to-do list.

I'm a little surprised they can get hot enough to start a fire, given the relatively small amounts of power these motors use. But I imagine current draw goes up during a stall; combine that with the airflow stopping and you've got a bad combination.