Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Anyone repair anything today?

Mon May 06, 2019 10:32 am

MileageMayVary wrote:
notfred wrote:
One trip to the hardware store to pickup a quarter-turn sharkbite connector and a new flexible fill line and less than 10 minutes had it working better than new. It's far quieter than the other toilets and fills noticeably faster, so I may have to upgrade the others at some point!

I've used this connector to replace the shutoff valve for two toilets now.

(what's the point of the oval handled ones if they're too stiff to turn?)

Old tech is as old tech does. These quarter-turn valves (which I've been retrofitting as fast as I can, only a couple more left to replace) are using materials and designs that either didn't exist or weren't entirely practical when residential plumbing standards were first modernized.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Mon May 06, 2019 11:29 am

My house was built in 2006 :(

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon May 06, 2019 11:46 am

notfred wrote:
My house was built in 2006 :(

And the builder used multi-turn valves? Ugh.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon May 06, 2019 12:46 pm

MileageMayVary wrote:
notfred wrote:
One trip to the hardware store to pickup a quarter-turn sharkbite connector and a new flexible fill line and less than 10 minutes had it working better than new. It's far quieter than the other toilets and fills noticeably faster, so I may have to upgrade the others at some point!

I've used this connector to replace the shutoff valve for two toilets now.

(what's the point of the oval handled ones if they're too stiff to turn?)

I hate the oval handled valves. I have yet to see one that effectively shut off water after 10+ years.

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 09, 2019 1:54 pm

I'm so glad I gutted all the plumbing and electrical when I bought this old farm house.

I got back from a trip on Sunday, and threw my clothes into the washer, then dryer. When I turned the dryer on it let out a little squeak when it started, then ran normally through the entire cycle. Fast forward to the next evening, and my wife threw in a load and it started metal-on-metal screeching horribly loud.

Sigh.

Fast forward an hour as I get the entire thing disassembled, because of course all the moving parts are the hardest to reach and require the most disassembly, and I find the culprit: a 50¢ bearing in a $4 idler pulley that ha decided it was sick of being a two-way bearing. Of course the direction it picks is opposite of the normal rotation. Luckily the parts cannon ships Amazon Prime.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu May 09, 2019 7:07 pm

Enjoying the Spring season in the Jersey area with everything green and blooming again but the grass grows like crazy and requires lawn mowing every week.
Took out my good 'ol 18 year old Murray 6HP with the Quantum Briggs & Stratton engine and noticed a leaky fuel line.

Thanks to handy video guides it was an easy fix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgNX_mwiw0M

Went to a local auto parts store and they gave me a piece of extra 1/4" diameter line for free since it was lying around as a leftover piece.
Back in business--the mower still cranks on first pull with a little priming on the fuel bulb. The blade is easy to remove and sharpen as well when I touch it up with an angle grinder every few weeks.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu May 09, 2019 7:38 pm

I repainted the flat half of the roof. Well not actually paint, it’s an elastomeric coating. Should give me ~5 more years until I’m going to have to replace the whole roof anyway. 10 gallons went exactly far enough for two coats.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-JACK-Ela ... ty/1015511

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed May 15, 2019 12:39 pm

Working on installing a receptacle to be able to plug my generator into the house. 11kW should be able to handle all 120V appliances at the same time, plus 1 240V at a time. I'll be wiring it in via a 50A circuit.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed May 15, 2019 1:44 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Working on installing a receptacle to be able to plug my generator into the house. 11kW should be able to handle all 120V appliances at the same time, plus 1 240V at a time. I'll be wiring it in via a 50A circuit.

What did you end up picking for the transfer switch?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed May 15, 2019 1:51 pm

ludi wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Sounds like he's manually backfeeding into the panel via a 50A 240V circuit. Don't forget to throw the main breaker if that's how you're going to do it.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed May 15, 2019 2:25 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
ludi wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Sounds like he's manually backfeeding into the panel via a 50A 240V circuit. Don't forget to throw the main breaker if that's how you're going to do it.

Correct. I didn't want to do a transfer switch as that was getting into the needing an electrical inspection or having to manage only a subset of the circuits, not the whole house.

I'm make 2 laminated labels. One to put on the main 150A breaker coming into the house and a 2nd to put on the main panel. I'll put these in place and turn off the respective breakers before plugging the generator in. These will stay with the generator when not in use and will be my manual "lock out, tag out" when in use. It's manual, but should prevent any issues for my personal use.

One thing I'd like to add is an ammeter/wattmeter to this to see how much load I'm pulling. This would be especially handy when looking at the load of some of the 240V appliances. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Meter-1 ... B00GMZRXE8

Blink
Gerbil

Wed May 15, 2019 3:16 pm

The keypad on my older Craftsman garage door opener stopped working. I opened up the battery compartment and the 9V battery was corroded, mushy at the top. In my effort to remove the battery the wires came off the connector. I bought a 10 pack of 9V connectors for around $3. Spliced one on and it works like a charm.
“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever.”
― George Orwell, 1984

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed May 15, 2019 4:34 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I'm make 2 laminated labels. One to put on the main 150A breaker coming into the house and a 2nd to put on the main panel. I'll put these in place and turn off the respective breakers before plugging the generator in. These will stay with the generator when not in use and will be my manual "lock out, tag out" when in use. It's manual, but should prevent any issues for my personal use.

Seriously, don't do that. If it isn't mechanically interlocked with the main or switched by a two-source throwover, then at some point, it will cause inconvenience, injury, or death. You may have a safe approach to using it but you have enabled a fundamentally unsafe configuration, which someone else may attempt to use when you're not there to supervise. Most utilities now require their line workers to use hot-work precautions or apply grounds before engaging in any maintenance, but during post-storm recovery when lines are crossing or dropped, all bets are off as to what is connected to where.

Envision yourself in court hearing your manslaughter conviction while a dead neighbor or lineman's family watches from the gallery, and then facing a million-dollar civil suit out-of-pocket after your insurance company invokes the gross negligence clause. Or, if your generator is accidentally energizing a line and the utility can't readily identify the source, your section of the circuit may have restoration delayed until they can unwind it. Now your neighbors are waiting longer to get their service back, and you may get fined by the utility for the added trouble.

These are worst-case scenarios, but there are several possibilities that have to happen exactly once and suddenly your savings on a $500 transfer switch and code inspection are turned upside down by at least 1-2 orders of magnitude.

plonk420
Gerbil

Wed May 15, 2019 5:14 pm

replaced a starter motor for a Civic... my second most complex work beyond oil and filters. was sounding like it was just "slipping" when i'd start it after it had been running then turned off recently. usually if i'd gone half or a full work shift since it ran, it would start just fine first start. had a BUNCH of people listen to what it sounded like before taking the leap and ordering the part.

almost was thwarted by not having a 14mm socket (had a 10 and 12 per youtube instructions. either they didn't mention or i missed the 14), which was the main bolts against the ...engine? thankfully a roomie had them and some extenders of sizes other than what i had. but everything worked out perfectly in the end!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed May 15, 2019 5:29 pm

@ludi
I genuinely appreciate your concern. There are a obstacles to a transfer switch not being practical. The power inlet is in the front of the house, and I’m not going to leave my generator out in the open when I’m use. The propane I’m running it on is also in the back. $500 would double my investment into the project so far. I got a great deal on the generator.
I’ll try to research a more foolproof mechanical lock.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed May 15, 2019 8:24 pm

Key retained locking breakers or switches are not too expensive. It’s a way to have positive assurance that the second breaker cannot be closed until the first is opened, and vice-versa. The key can only be in one breaker or the other.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Wed May 15, 2019 8:47 pm

Did the rear brakes on my 07 tahoe. New (re-man) calipers, acdelco pads and coated rotors and brake fluid flush. Unseized the parking brake adjusters also (big PITA)

Hopefully lasts another 5 years. Need to pressure wash the undercarriage/frame/etc and give it a coat of industrial zinc primer
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

SecretSquirrel

Wed May 15, 2019 9:07 pm

Yesterday, replaced the battery in my daughter's Corolla. Last night, replaced the alternator. :evil: Luckily, it's a transverse mount, four cylinder. If the pivot bolt hadn't given me fits going back in, it would have been an hour job. As it was, it was an hour and thirty.

Now, my wife's Durango is a whole different story. It's blowing a fuse that turns out to be caused by the headlight leveling motor...

--SS

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu May 16, 2019 2:55 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
@ludi
I genuinely appreciate your concern. There are a obstacles to a transfer switch not being practical. The power inlet is in the front of the house, and I’m not going to leave my generator out in the open when I’m use. The propane I’m running it on is also in the back. $500 would double my investment into the project so far. I got a great deal on the generator.
I’ll try to research a more foolproof mechanical lock.

Professional obligation as well as personal concern; I'm not licensed in Florida but I'm not aware of any US jurisdiction that doesn't follow at least the 2007 NEC requirements, and if you are proposing to do something that can potentially backfeed the utility (as opposed to just blowing yourself up for fun), that touches on my public health and safety ethical obligation. As far as I know the generator inlet does not have to be located at the transfer switch, meaning you could run suitably-sized conductors to an inlet at another location, although I think you would need a separate disconnecting means accessible by the inlet if it was on the other side of the house. A Florida master electrician could speak more directly.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 16, 2019 6:54 am

ludi wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Seriously, don't do that. If it isn't mechanically interlocked with the main or switched by a two-source throwover, then at some point, it will cause inconvenience, injury, or death. You may have a safe approach to using it but you have enabled a fundamentally unsafe configuration, which someone else may attempt to use when you're not there to supervise. Most utilities now require their line workers to use hot-work precautions or apply grounds before engaging in any maintenance, but during post-storm recovery when lines are crossing or dropped, all bets are off as to what is connected to where.

Envision yourself in court hearing your manslaughter conviction while a dead neighbor or lineman's family watches from the gallery, and then facing a million-dollar civil suit out-of-pocket after your insurance company invokes the gross negligence clause. Or, if your generator is accidentally energizing a line and the utility can't readily identify the source, your section of the circuit may have restoration delayed until they can unwind it. Now your neighbors are waiting longer to get their service back, and you may get fined by the utility for the added trouble.

These are worst-case scenarios, but there are several possibilities that have to happen exactly once and suddenly your savings on a $500 transfer switch and code inspection are turned upside down by at least 1-2 orders of magnitude.

My brother in law used to be a lines man until he got zapped with 7500v (I think that was the size of line he was working on minght have 12500v).
He picked a wire from the ground that was supposed to have been completely de-energized and it got hom across the chest and knocked him out. Now he has recuring chest pains, black outs, and muscle tremors, and a bad heart.
He is only a little than maybe 48.
Now he is on disability and probably will not work in any heavy industry again.

They are not sure where the jolt came from but suspicion is that someone back fed their rather large whole house or business generator into the system temporarily or there was a faulty switch in the substation.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

SuperSpy

Thu May 16, 2019 7:41 am

There exists for some panels a bracket that slides over the main disconnect switches that physically blocks the first two breakers in one of the banks unless the main is in the off position. That might be a solution depending on if you can find one that fits your panel.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu May 16, 2019 10:55 am

I’ll need to look at something like that. The main 150A breaker is outside in its own panel next to the meter. Trying to find something that will mechanically prevent both would have to be either something in that panel or another switch between that panel and the main.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 17, 2019 8:17 am

A generator interlock kit may be able to be fitted to that main breaker panel if it also has the capability to feed another circuit and you put the generator on that circuit.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri May 17, 2019 8:26 am

anotherengineer wrote:
and give it a coat of industrial zinc primer

Send me your leftovers!
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

SecretSquirrel

Fri May 17, 2019 9:10 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I’ll need to look at something like that. The main 150A breaker is outside in its own panel next to the meter. Trying to find something that will mechanically prevent both would have to be either something in that panel or another switch between that panel and the main.

Don't know what you're personal/housing situation or plans are, but also consider the fact that you will have to get an electrical inspection and make changes for it to pass code if you ever sell your house. Also expect insurance to not pay out should you file a claim regarding anything remotely related to the electrical system. I'm generally all for DIY home work. I'm about to add at least two new circuits to my garage and have no intention of getting an electrician involved. I've also considered putting a whole house generator in at my parents place and I would do the electrical work there too, However, I haven't as the generator is probably less than half the cost involved and a transfer switch is a must. Just too many opportunities for something to go wrong. At the very least, a mistake destroys the generator. Ludi covered the worst case. Too many ways for things to go wrong.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri May 17, 2019 9:48 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Don't know what you're personal/housing situation or plans are, but also consider the fact that you will have to get an electrical inspection and make changes for it to pass code if you ever sell your house.

I see 3 options. (and we don't have any plans to move anytime soon unless aging parents necessitate it)
*If I go with my original plan (I'm strongly reconsidering per ya'lls cautioning), I wouldn't have to do anything for selling the house. There would just be a 50A outlet in the laundry room.
*If I go with some sort of transfer switch or mechanical interlock - DIY - Remove prior to sale
*If I go with some sort of transfer switch or mechanical interlock - Installed by electrician & inspected - Leave as is

SecretSquirrel

Fri May 17, 2019 11:21 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Don't know what you're personal/housing situation or plans are, but also consider the fact that you will have to get an electrical inspection and make changes for it to pass code if you ever sell your house.

I see 3 options. (and we don't have any plans to move anytime soon unless aging parents necessitate it)
*If I go with my original plan (I'm strongly reconsidering per ya'lls cautioning), I wouldn't have to do anything for selling the house. There would just be a 50A outlet in the laundry room.
*If I go with some sort of transfer switch or mechanical interlock - DIY - Remove prior to sale
*If I go with some sort of transfer switch or mechanical interlock - Installed by electrician & inspected - Leave as is

There is a #4. You don't have to get the work done by an electrician and inspected (ludi, cover your ears :wink: ). You just have to do the work such that it would pass inspection. I can't speak to Florida, but at least in Texas and Arkansas, when you have a house inspection done during sale/purchase, they just point out things that aren't up to code at the time of the sale, and things that were probably never up to code (at least the inspectors I've worked with have). No one asks for the actual installation documentation or anything like that. I don't know Florida codes, but I would venture a guess that a manual transfer switch that does break before make switching would be sufficient. But, IANAE, and don't know the local codes.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 17, 2019 11:37 am

Here in Ontario we can DIY on our own house and then just pay a small fee to get the inspector in. If it is all up to code then he gives you the inspection certificate just as if you had spent a lot on a master electrician to do the work.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri May 17, 2019 11:58 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:

There is a #4. You don't have to get the work done by an electrician and inspected (ludi, cover your ears :wink: ). You just have to do the work such that it would pass inspection.

Right, and that varies by jurisdiction. I believe one of the more common is "owner and occupier," where you are permitted to perform code-compliant work on your own residential electrical, plumbing, etc. provided you both own the unit and live in it. A state or local permitting and inspection regime may exist in parallel, again varying by jurisdiction. And I think there are still some states that give special exceptions on code compliance and inspections to farms for historical reasons.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri May 17, 2019 1:23 pm

I guess if I'm messing with full voltage electricity at main feeder line (150A @ 240V would hut. Alot), I'm probably going to want to not DIY. Also I would need the power company to come out and pull the meter to be able to replace the main breaker with a different setup.

EDIT: I like something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Control ... 00AHTWRDM/