As someone noted earlier, owning a house generates plenty of opportunity to fix things. Owning two....
I've been updating things in a house we just purchased. For example, I replaced the 25 year old hot water heater the day after we bought the house. The original hotwater heater had no drip pan. When I put the new one in, with a drip pan, I teed the overflow line into the drip line from the AC. The AC drip line was 1" PVC that ran up through the water heater closet into the ceiling. The drip line, despite being 1" PVC, was flexed into a curve from where it came out of the slab to the ceiling. One of my prior visits to the house, I noticed that some cardboard siting in the corner seemed a bit damp.
This is the area in the garage. The two doors are to the water heater closet.
This is what I found when I busted out the drywall. Yes, that is standing water, along with a lot of other crap left from building the house.
My initial cut out of the drywall under the closet.
Cleaned up the drywall edges to make sure they were straight. You can also see the drip line where I cut it off. The upper end is in a bucket in the closet as the AC was running full throttle and generating about a 1/2 gallon an hour of condensate.
The new, upper section of the closet drip line, including the overflow line from the hot water heater pan.
The lower section no longer bends. It now is straight, with a proper 45 degree elbow. Must less stress on the whole system.
I cleaned all the debris out from under the closet floor and soaked up all the water I could.
I let it dry for about 18 hours. Looks SOOO much better!
New drywall. If this hadn't been in the garage I would have been a bit more particular about the drywall. Being away from home, I really didn't want to buy a 4x8 sheet of drywall just for two feet of it. No place to store left-overs. So I picked up a pair of 2x2 "repair" pieces from Lowes. The seam between the two isn't supported. Again, interior, I would have put a furring strip on the seam to reduce movement and give it a bit more strength.
Taped and spackled.
Dry and sanded.
Primed for painting.
Painted to match the rest of the garage -- though missing the scuffs, dirt, and grime....
You can see the unsupported seam where the two repair pieces match. Compare that to the two outer seams which are on 2x4s and well supported. It's in the garage, in a rental property, so I'm not terribly worried about it.
The whole project took about 4-5 hours split over two days and interrupted by several other activities too. Last weekend, the AC was replaced -- it was also 25 years old and could not maintain the temperature in the house on an even mildly warm day. I didn't do that project though. Some things are better left to the proffesionals.