Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Anyone repair anything today?

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:14 am

SuperSpy wrote:
liquidsquid wrote:
It looks great though once I got the blood off of it.

This describes way too many of my home projects.

Describes some of my computer builds as well. Though in that case the blood is more frequently on the inside.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:29 am

just brew it! wrote:
SuperSpy wrote:
liquidsquid wrote:

Describes some of my computer builds as well. Though in that case the blood is more frequently on the inside.

Some years back I was building a 2500k rig for a friend, and the rear I/O shield required some finagling with the tab which goes over the LAN port. Shortly afterward, the following thoughts went through my head...

"Why is there red candle wax on the motherboard? Is that something they're doing now to protect the components from damage? I've never seen that before, I.....*looks at hand*... oooooooooohhh"

Thankfully it cleaned off fairly easy with rubbing alcohol, and didn't seem to cause any issues.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:53 am

SuperSpy wrote:
liquidsquid wrote:

You must make a blood sacrifice to appease the gods!
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:20 pm

The soffits were starting to fall off part of the section on the front of the house. I pulled them down to clean them up only to discover that there is blocking between the wall and the roof anyway between the roof beams, so no air can pass through. Needless to say, I proceeded to take down the entire section of soffits with no real intention to put them back on. I need to go through the rest of the perimeter of thee house to see if that is the case there also. If so, I need to figure something else out, because then all I have is gable vents for the entire roof. Not good for A/C costs. Especially since the 2 vertical legs of the "U" structure of the attic are sealed off from the horizontal section so a single gable vent isn't providing any airflow at all. Crazy.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:02 pm

The Egg wrote:
Some years back I was building a 2500k rig for a friend, and the rear I/O shield required some finagling with the tab which goes over the LAN port. Shortly afterward, the following thoughts went through my head...

"Why is there red candle wax on the motherboard? Is that something they're doing now to protect the components from damage? I've never seen that before, I.....*looks at hand*... oooooooooohhh"

Thankfully it cleaned off fairly easy with rubbing alcohol, and didn't seem to cause any issues.

I have had pretty much that exact experience.

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber

Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:36 pm

Mine always seems to be I'm holding the motherboard and I almost drop it, and in my race to catch it, I end up grabbing hard on an area covered in through pins, basically punching a giant grid of holes in my palm or fingers.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:30 pm

SuperSpy wrote:
Mine always seems to be I'm holding the motherboard and I almost drop it, and in my race to catch it, I end up grabbing hard on an area covered in through pins, basically punching a giant grid of holes in my palm or fingers.

Yes, I've been there, done that too.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:48 am

Wife's coffee grinder (today's 7:00 AM household repair emergency...)

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:17 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Wife's coffee grinder (today's 7:00 AM household repair emergency...)

This is why I have a good manual grinder up on the shelf. Cheap and works great, just takes a few minutes to grind for a cup.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:21 pm

Putting tire chains on a lawn tractor is a whole lot easier when you jack the back end off the ground and drape the chain as the tire freewheels. Next up is the weight bar, which will require some "shadetree engineering" as the link pins supplied with it don't fit the threaded holes in the bar. Threaded rod (slightly smaller than the hole) and jam nuts will take care of that.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Coldfirex
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:44 am

Just had to replace our 15 year old dryer's heating coil and door switch. Oddly enough they both died at the same time. Simple swapouts.
Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

liquidsquid

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:49 pm

Installed the new oven this weekend. I couldn't find the directions anywhere in the box so I wung it. Damned thing was super-heavy getting it into the cabinet (in-cabinet double oven) and needed to call a neighbor to help lift the SOB. I pulled the last of the wrapping off of the doors that is used to protect it when installing so you cannot open the doors with it on. There were the installation instructions inside the oven after I pulled it off. Hmmm.

I read the instructions and it has you remove the doors before installing to save on weight and prevent damaging the doors from twist. Seems like a strange place to store the inaccessible instructions behind said taped shut doors.

All went well, no blood this time. Just a on the third de-oil cycle of getting the stink out.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:13 pm

They are no joke. We replaced an in-wall oven+microwave that was ridiculously heavy. It took us awhile with three people to load it into the van and then longer at Goodwill.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:14 am

We had a new high-efficiency York TM9E furnace installed 3 or 4 years ago (I forget which, but I think three) and the last couple weeks, it was getting worse and worse about blowing warm air. Every so often it would kick on and blow cold air, then turn off and evacuate the system. I'd flip the switch off and on again and it'd be fine, and I'd make a mental note to do some research.

Fast forward to this morning and it was 56F in my house with the thermostat set to its customary 68F. No time like the present. So I dug up a service diagram and figured out where the igniter was. Took that out and cleaned it. Meanwhile I consulted Facebook and a high school friend suggested it was the flame sensor, so I took that out and cleaned it too. And that's probably what actually fixed it, because that thing was crusty. Put it all back together and hot air on the first try.

Guess I'll keep an eye on it for a while and then forget it was ever a problem.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:30 am

At least it failed "safe". Our old furnace (replaced many years ago now) developed a fault where only some sections of the burner were igniting correctly but the gas kept flowing. Eventually it flashed over with a loud "bang" which rattled the sheet metal of the furnace enclosure and ductwork. The flames were all contained within the furnace itself, but when the side panel was taken off there were obvious scorched areas and melted plastic parts inside. Scary stuff.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:54 am

Flame sensor needing cleaning is common in gas appliances. Quick rub with wire wool to get the crud off and everything works fine again. If your furnace needed it then probably worth running around and doing things like the gas water heater at the same time.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:14 pm

notfred wrote:
Flame sensor needing cleaning is common in gas appliances. Quick rub with wire wool to get the crud off and everything works fine again. If your furnace needed it then probably worth running around and doing things like the gas water heater at the same time.

I had the same thought. The water heater was replaced the summer before the furnace and its sensor was also looking kinda gross. :lol:

just brew it! wrote:
At least it failed "safe". Our old furnace (replaced many years ago now) developed a fault where only some sections of the burner were igniting correctly but the gas kept flowing. Eventually it flashed over with a loud "bang" which rattled the sheet metal of the furnace enclosure and ductwork. The flames were all contained within the furnace itself, but when the side panel was taken off there were obvious scorched areas and melted plastic parts inside. Scary stuff.

Dude. That's seriously scary. :o
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:23 pm

OK so it's back to blowing room-temperature air. It ran until the house got back up to temp and then it was back down to 62F and it kicks on and just blows, no heat. Do you think replacing that flame sensor is a logical next step? I just cleaned it with steel wool and put it back before.

This looks to be the part, based on the number I found: https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Replace ... 2537499000

And this is the diagram I'm using for reference: http://www.upgnet.com/PdfFileRedirect/0 ... F-0515.PDF

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:35 pm

Put on a folding client (for team 2630) as a stop-gap while you continue to troubleshoot the problem? A PC with a decent GPU can do double duty as a half-kilowatt space heater. :lol:
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2407, RK-9000BR, MX518

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:41 pm

You need to turn it off and then watch it when you turn it on.

Does it actually ignite the flame and have the flame touching the flame sensor, but then shutoff and run a purge cycle? That would suggest a bad flame sensor.

If it doesn't actually light the flame then that suggests a bad igniter.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:49 pm

In other news, I replaced our range hood fan. It's so much quieter and I hate our house builders so much more.

1) Above the hood is a cupboard, they made it a very shallow cupboard with no blocking behind it so they could vent vertically and then do a 90 out the wall. This meant that the old one was only really attached properly at the front with 2 random screws driven in to the drywall at the back. I added some blocking to the side cabinets to let me actually mount the new one properly.

2) The outlet is 3 1/4" x 10". They ran 5" round ducting and couldn't be bothered to get a proper adaptor, so they just used a 4" x 10" HVAC floor grill on the 3 1/4" x 10" outlet, leaving a nice 3/4" gap. I went and bought the proper adaptor.

3) The 5" duct work is actually that funny thin spiral thing so it could be bent to go to the exit vent. I wasn't going to rebuild the entire duct work so that is still in there.

Why they couldn't have just vented horizontally out the back of the old one and put a full depth cupboard in - saving all this hassle, I'll never know.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:03 pm

notfred wrote:
You need to turn it off and then watch it when you turn it on.

Does it actually ignite the flame and have the flame touching the flame sensor, but then shutoff and run a purge cycle? That would suggest a bad flame sensor.

If it doesn't actually light the flame then that suggests a bad igniter.

Yeah I could see it light. A quick trip to Menard’s right after I posted got me a replacement. So far so good. House is back up to tent and it’s fired up a couple times since then and not a problem. Huzzah!

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:32 pm

Today's excitement: the starter in our '05 CR-V. 120k miles and still the original, so I wasn't surprised that it was having trouble turning over, but the real show was when I pulled it apart for a curiosity inspection and a literal pile of carbon dust fell out. The brushes were eaten down to the last few millimeters.

The time sink for this job was pulling out the battery,the hood latch assembly, and the entire intake manifold ahead of the injectors, to actually get at the thing. At least, that's what one YouTube mechanic recommended, and it worked. According to another video it is technically possible to change it from underneath, but that works best if the car is on a lift and you are a circus contortionist. On the positive side, it also needed an air filter, and that was quite easy given that everything which would obstruct access to the airbox was already dissected and sitting on the bench.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:56 pm

Repair fail.

Around 6 weeks ago I replaced both valve stems in my tub. Delta faucet, couldn't find Delta-brand replacements at the time so I got what I could. Worked OK for about a month. Slowly over the last couple weeks the tub has started dripping again.

Went back to Ace, this time found Delta-branded replacement stems. Pulled the old ones out. No visible damage, no cracks, but whatever. Tossed them and put the Deltas in. Tub still drips. It's only the hot water side, because the drips are hot.

What am I looking for, if not the valve stem? What could possibly still be dripping? Do these things only go in one way? Do I need to take out the new stem and rotate it 180 degrees? I'm stumped.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:21 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Repair fail....What am I looking for, if not the valve stem? What could possibly still be dripping? Do these things only go in one way? Do I need to take out the new stem and rotate it 180 degrees? I'm stumped.

Do you have any corrosion or similar debris stuck inside the valve body that is preventing the stem's O-ring from sealing tight?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:29 am

I'll take a look. And if it's clear, I have some O-rings that are in all different sizes, I'm sure I have something comparable I can swap out.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:34 am

ludi wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Repair fail....What am I looking for, if not the valve stem? What could possibly still be dripping? Do these things only go in one way? Do I need to take out the new stem and rotate it 180 degrees? I'm stumped.

Do you have any corrosion or similar debris stuck inside the valve body that is preventing the stem's O-ring from sealing tight?

This seems plausible. Corrosion or mineral deposits sound like likely culprits to me.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:09 am

theflash wrote:
Somehow fixed my Sony Xperia, after reading some tips online...so I guess that counts? :D

Yay!
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

deputy dawg
Gerbil

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:27 pm

I'm mostly just a lurker around here but wanted to share possibly the strangest computer related issue that I faced yesterday:

I imaged a Dell Latitude E7440 using our standard Windows 10 image at work and noticed that the performance was very sluggish. In the Task Manager I noticed that the CPU was throttled down to 0.78 GHz and all four threads were flatlined at about 30%. After doing all of the standard troubleshooting (checked temps, cleaned heatsink/fan, updated/reset BIOS, checked power management settings, power cycled, etc.), the issue persisted.

Good old professor Google let me know that I wasn't the only one facing this problem, but none of the initial solutions did anything for me (one suggested fix was to downgrade the BIOS to A01 and upgrade one version at a time up to the current A25... no thanks). I eventually came across the solution in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00xRSqyGnks (no sound)

Removing a screw underneath the keyboard fixed the problem. As soon as I did that the CPU started performing normally, and the guy who made the video claims he has fixed over 450 of these Latitudes this way with no side effects. I'm sure there is a perfectly logical explanation for this behavior, but who would have ever thought a factory-installed screw could cause such a specific issue?

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:48 pm

Sounds like the screw was causing a grounding issue or something like that was artificially forcing a low-power state.