Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Re: Anyone repair anything today?

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:43 pm

In recent years, you have to go out of your way to find some washer fluid that has enough stuff in it to have an appreciable freezing point depression. The default fluids on the shelf still freeze at 32 °F, just like water. I added this to mine when we had the unusually bad cold snap in the middle of January. My spray nozzles still froze up, but nothing was broken when they thawed out two days later.
i7-9700K, H100i v2, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

Waco
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:47 pm

Reran every...single...coolant line on the wife's "new" 2001 TT Quattro Coupe. The plastic neck busted on the side of the block (I swear, they're designed to fail) so while everything was out, new silicone lines everywhere, a new silicon intake pipe, new thermostat, and aluminum flanges in place of all the crappy plastic.

Runs like a top now and doesn't drip a drop; too bad it took a good 7 hours to get all the original hoses out and the ones in. All hose clamps are now screw-drive and not pressure clips.
Desktop: Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon | 6700K @ 4.4 | 16 GB | GTX Titan Xm | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 2048 + 240 + LSI 9207-8i (128x8) SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:10 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
In recent years, you have to go out of your way to find some washer fluid that has enough stuff in it to have an appreciable freezing point depression.

Interesting. We get the "bugwash" and other summer varieties here, but for fall/winter it's the -20F stuff.

Our used CR-V came from Phoenix, and we bought it in late November a couple years back. The rear washer line froze up immediately. Next warm spell I refilled the reservoir with -20F and flushed the lines; it's been fine since.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Waco
Gold subscriber

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:14 pm

The Audi I mentioned above was filled with summer fluids when we bought it (not that we knew that). First real cold night froze up the headlight aliens and popped them out of the bumper and broke them. :/ Thankfully the bumper is easy to remove so we disable the entire headlight washer system and dropped a few pounds. :)
Desktop: Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon | 6700K @ 4.4 | 16 GB | GTX Titan Xm | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 2048 + 240 + LSI 9207-8i (128x8) SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:13 pm

Somewhat like the monitor arm, this is not so much a repair as an enhancement of existing old hardware: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AGQMQC

Wired it to the aux-in on the old basement stereo, powered via a phone charger plugged into the switched outlet on the back of the receiver. So the basement stereo is Bluetooth capable now. Stuck it to the side of the receiver with double-sided foam tape.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Kougar

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:33 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Water? Good luck with that up here.

Do they even sell washer fluid in gallon jugs at every gas station/C-store down there?

:lol: Yeah, it dawned on me that I've never actually given any thought to washer fluid for anti-freezing purposes despite the age of my car. Just never an issue in south Texas. I guess the icicles hanging off my car some weeks back should've been a clue.

Everyone sells washer fluid, it's free money to the store really. Either blue or green varieties, mostly advertised to help clear bug guts off the windshield though... I've tried one ages back and all it did was break down and cause gunk in the tubing, so I've only ever used water since.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:36 pm

Us northerners would never put plain water in the reservoir... that's crazy talk! :lol:

SecretSquirrel

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:25 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I installed a monitor arm on my workbench to allow me to re-purpose an old 17" LCD display with a busted stand, for bench testing motherboards and video cards. So not exactly a "repair"... more of a "reuse/recycle". :lol:

I actually put a monitor arm on my workbench recently as well. Has my old 24" monitor on it, connected to the bench PC. Lets me swing the monitor out if I want to bing watch something while I'm working on airplanes. The room does double duty as my electronics workshop and my RC building room. My wife just calls in my "play" room. :lol:

I actually have an old 19" VGA LCD on the work bench, connected to the VGA out on my bench o'scope. The stand height adjusts just high enough that the scope fits right underneath.

--SS

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:11 pm

I replaced my old home a/c thermostat with a new, programmable Honeywell unit. Home Depot has a fire sale on the one I wanted, regularly $120 on sale for $39. I was unable to resist. It doesn't have wi-fi, but I can set it for four different time periods each day. Lighted touch screen and battery backup, too.

It was easier to install than I thought it would be. There are only five, color-coded wires to attach. Other than mounting to the wall, that was it. It's far more precise than my old stat. I'm curious to see how it does when it enters its weekly schedule.

I'm hoping to be doing a major overhaul soon of my main rig, thanks to Brew. My current rig is 9 years old, so it's time.
I wish I had gone to med school.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:28 pm

The Swamp wrote:
I replaced my old home a/c thermostat with a new, programmable Honeywell unit. Home Depot has a fire sale on the one I wanted, regularly $120 on sale for $39. I was unable to resist. It doesn't have wi-fi, but I can set it for four different time periods each day. Lighted touch screen and battery backup, too.

It was easier to install than I thought it would be. There are only five, color-coded wires to attach. Other than mounting to the wall, that was it. It's far more precise than my old stat. I'm curious to see how it does when it enters its weekly schedule.

I'm hoping to be doing a major overhaul soon of my main rig, thanks to Brew. My current rig is 9 years old, so it's time.

"main rig" being your computer or your HVAC?
Main rig: Ryzen 1600, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:17 pm

MileageMayVary wrote:
The Swamp wrote:

"main rig" being your computer or your HVAC?

My computer. I'm still rocking a Core-2 Q8300 on an Nvidia chipset from 2009. I should be upgrading soon.
I wish I had gone to med school.

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:13 am

Man in Michigan even the 'summer' stuff has a 0F freezing point. By fall/winter the shelves are full of -20F or -30F "premium" fluid. Record this year so far has been -18F, lately I've been making a point to check the engine coolant with a hydrometer every fall.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

liquidsquid

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:52 am

SuperSpy wrote:
DPete27 wrote:
SuperSpy wrote:
I'm notorious for over striking splitting mauls

I bought a fiberglass handled maul a while back and it's lasted many years without a hint of damage. Wood handles were not ideal.

That said, if you split a lot of wood (we burn wood for primary heat in Wisconsin winters) I'd HIGHLY recommend getting a hydraulic wood splitter (looks like there are electric ones now also, but I don't have experience with them).

Yeah I was looking at electric splitters, but it seems they max out in the 5-7 ton region whereas gas models are typically in the 16-26 ton region.

My thought was to give it a try manually before going out and getting a splitter. I bought an outdoor wood boiler last fall so suddenly I need much higher quality (read: dry) wood than the rubbish wood I was able to get away with burning last year. I collect much of mine from work, but I also have a bit of woods with deadfall that's worth salvaging as well.

I priced out some splitters, and discovered they would never pay for themselves if purchasing pre-split wood. It is only a $5 per face upcost vs. whole delivered logs. Not worth my time, mess, and back to frig with logs. I cannot compete with wood mills.

With that said, I have a most excellent (Bill and Ted) axe: https://www.stihlusa.com/products/hand- ... osplitaxe/ that has the metal shroud over the shaft. The thing could be used in warfare it is so well balanced. It works far better than my maul and just blows wood apart. It is lighter, easier to aim, and rewarding! I use this on the bigger chunks and wood harvested on my own land. Only time it fails is on hickory. That stuff is made out of cross-threaded steel cable.

As far as fixing stuff, I think my recycle bin is now fully constructed out of duct tape. Not sure where the original bin is now. It is a matter of pride to keep that thing for year number 20 now. It didn't do very well this year in the bitter cold outbreak.

Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:26 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
In recent years, you have to go out of your way to find some washer fluid that has enough stuff in it to have an appreciable freezing point depression. The default fluids on the shelf still freeze at 32 °F, just like water. I added this to mine when we had the unusually bad cold snap in the middle of January. My spray nozzles still froze up, but nothing was broken when they thawed out two days later.
You could also dump in a bottle of 91% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. The azeotrope has an FP of -89C. Methanol will do even better but is skin toxic.

My old 96 Neon had the enviro friendly paint that could not stand up to window washer fluid if it contained methanol (which they all do if they advertise any F.P. lowering). My friends called it "freckles" because of all the paint that came off the car on the downwind end.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:23 pm

Maybe this is a stupid question, but it didn't catch fire? I'd be hesitant to use isopropyl alcohol myself. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:10 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Maybe this is a stupid question, but it didn't catch fire? I'd be hesitant to use isopropyl alcohol myself. :lol:

But the word "methanol" didn't alarm you? :P

The word of the day (which Mr Bill used) is azeotrope. The one liquid is soluable in the other and the resulting mixture has new boiling and freezing points. You won't be able to readily drive off the flammable constituent except by also driving off the water.

Now, you can burn off the alcohol by applying a direct flame to vaporize it out of the solution (the basis of the magician's trick of briefly lighting a handkerchief on fire without any damage to the cloth), but if you have a situation like that forming under your hood then you've got larger troubles today.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:24 pm

The big difference to me was the concentration. And like I said, it could very well be a stupid question. :p
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:52 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
The big difference to me was the concentration. And like I said, it could very well be a stupid question. :p

Haha, I think the intent was that you add the isopropyl alcohol to the water you've already got in the reservoir, forming a dilute solution. Most washer fluid reservoirs (IME) hold at least a gallon, while a standard drugstore bottle of rubbing alcohol is 32 ounces. Assuming you bought the strongest stuff on the shelf (around 90%) and poured it into the reservoir before topping off with water, the final concentration is going to be 20% or less.

Comparatively, you can light 40-proof liquor on fire in a shallow dish, but it takes a direct flame and some patience to get it self-sustaining.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:33 am

Kougar wrote:
Everyone sells washer fluid, it's free money to the store really. Either blue or green varieties, mostly advertised to help clear bug guts off the windshield though... I've tried one ages back and all it did was break down and cause gunk in the tubing, so I've only ever used water since.

Anyone who doesn't use the Rain-X (or generic equivalent) is missing out. That stuff is amazing. I only use the wipers when driving under 40mph; for anything above that, the rain runs right off and is much easier to see without wipers. We use the bug-stuff also due to the Florida Love-bugs. I personally feel like it makes a difference. That's purely anecdotal and no real science behind it though. For $3/gallon it is a nice placebo at worst. I've never had issues in any of my cars with it gunking up. May be a not-ever-cold-here thing.

Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:48 pm

ludi wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Haha, I think the intent was that you add the isopropyl alcohol to the water you've already got in the reservoir, forming a dilute solution. Most washer fluid reservoirs (IME) hold at least a gallon, while a standard drugstore bottle of rubbing alcohol is 32 ounces. Assuming you bought the strongest stuff on the shelf (around 90%) and poured it into the reservoir before topping off with water, the final concentration is going to be 20% or less.

Comparatively, you can light 40-proof liquor on fire in a shallow dish, but it takes a direct flame and some patience to get it self-sustaining.
If we compare isopropanol-water freezing point lowering with methanol-water freezing point lowering; its quite clear why most windshield washing fluids are methanol based. Unfortunately methanol is death on paint and the overcoat.

The flashpoints for each mixture are in the table beneath each F.P. lowering table.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

Kougar

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:32 pm

Usacomp2k3, yeah RainX is pretty amazing. But we don't get the weekly rain fronts that most of the US does, they often break up before reaching this far south, basically Flordia weather here without as much rain or the hurricanes. So I don't use RainX anymore, wasn't worth reapplying it several times a year when some months don't even see any rain whatsoever.

derFunkenstein wrote:

I'd be hesitant because the stuff would destroy the rubber grommet between the tank and the washer fluid pump, probably the o-ring in the pump would be the first thing to break seal. In dilute concentrations it will take time, but it'll still happen.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:19 pm

Here in VT we just use the blue stuff (-20F) year-round with no real issues. The Rain-X stuff (orange) is nice, but much more expensive.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:46 pm

Yup, in northern Illinois too. And if you do a fair amount of highway driving in the summer months, it's better at removing bug splats from the windshield than plain water.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:18 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Us northerners would never put plain water in the reservoir... that's crazy talk! :lol:

LOL

Says the guy in the far south :)
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:19 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Here in VT we just use the blue stuff (-20F) year-round with no real issues. The Rain-X stuff (orange) is nice, but much more expensive.

I only use the -45C rainx stuff in my vehicle here, year round.

edit
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rain- ... p.html#srp
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:20 am

Captain Ned wrote:

The Walmart brand for a gallon is: $1 for regular stuff. $2 for rainx equivalent, or $3 for rainx+bug. Insignificatnt. We go through around maybe 2 gallons of year per car, so we're talking a difference of $8/year for the better stuff over the base stuff. That's a no-brainer.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:21 am

Here in the north it can be a gallon per week in slush season.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:06 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

:-o I agree 100% then. That's crazy.

Kougar

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:56 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

:-o I agree 100% then. That's crazy.

No slush here, but I go through a tank of fluid 2-3x a month. The car is parked outdoors, so it always gets layers of pollen or grime on the windows. Just a side effect of the very wet, dewy morning we regularly have here before the sun burns it away.

Waco
Gold subscriber

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:53 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

It's still far cheaper than gas. :)