Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: VW in deep Doo-Doo

Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:54 pm

ludi wrote:
Here's a fun one: if a US-based VW owner accepts the de-facto $1000 gift from VW, do they have to report it to the IRS as miscellaneous income?

All depends on whether or not VW USA issues you a Form 1099 if/when you take the deal. If they do, it's taxable.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:45 pm

It's worth noting that it's two separate $500 gifts (below the $600 1099 threshold), so they may be doing some shenanigans to avoid having to report them?

I mean, Volkswagen would never do shenanigans to avoid US government regulations.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:55 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
It's worth noting that it's two separate $500 gifts (below the $600 1099 threshold), so they may be doing some shenanigans to avoid having to report them?

I mean, Volkswagen would never do shenanigans to avoid US government regulations.

If they collect your SSN as part of the process they'll have crossed the $600 per annum (not per gift) threshold for 1099 filings.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:13 pm

If it's two separate gifts from two separate companies, though, it'd be on really shaky tax ground, but...

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:41 am

bhtooefr wrote:
If it's two separate gifts from two separate companies, though, it'd be on really shaky tax ground, but...

Try explaining that to the nice IRS officer. VW was behind both of my 500 dollar gifts but its really two different companies. Never fly.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:49 pm

Just gonna leave this here.

Image12246715_933409800045475_7858787503586400991_n by Hance1976, on Flickr

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:51 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/volkswagen-manage ... nance.html
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volks ... SKCN0VN0SZ
Reuters wrote:
A high-ranking employee warned senior Volkswagen managers in May 2014 that U.S. regulators might examine car engine software as part of an investigation into pollution levels, two sources familiar with the matter said on Sunday. The warning came in the form of a letter, which was sent more than a year before the German carmaker's public admission that its cars had been equipped with software to manipulate emission test results, the sources said...

German newspaper Bild am Sonntag said that an employee known internally as "Winterkorn's fireman" had notified superiors about the probe. "It can be assumed that the authorities will investigate VW systems to establish whether Volkswagen has implemented test-recognition software," the newspaper said, citing the letter uncovered as part of an investigation by Jones Day, a law firm conducting the company's internal investigation.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:52 pm

Welcome to mega-corps and their data management policies. Guarantee it won't be the last internal document the prosecution leaks and would be shocked if they don't already have all the docs and a planned release schedule.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:09 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/volkswagen-managers-were-notified-diesel-probe-may-2014-164018821--finance.html
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volks ... SKCN0VN0SZ
Reuters wrote:
A high-ranking employee warned senior Volkswagen managers in May 2014 that U.S. regulators might examine car engine software as part of an investigation into pollution levels, two sources familiar with the matter said on Sunday. The warning came in the form of a letter, which was sent more than a year before the German carmaker's public admission that its cars had been equipped with software to manipulate emission test results, the sources said...

German newspaper Bild am Sonntag said that an employee known internally as "Winterkorn's fireman" had notified superiors about the probe. "It can be assumed that the authorities will investigate VW systems to establish whether Volkswagen has implemented test-recognition software," the newspaper said, citing the letter uncovered as part of an investigation by Jones Day, a law firm conducting the company's internal investigation.

So in other words roll the dice and see what happens.....

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:11 pm

It's never a crime until you get caught, right?
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:44 pm

morphine wrote:
It's never a crime until you get caught, right?

There's some truth to that...but they DID get caught.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:04 pm

Speaking of German automakers, diesels, and getting caught...

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/18/merc ... s-lawsuit/

localhostrulez

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:08 pm

bhtooefr wrote:

Ooh, that's interesting. I toured the Daimler truck assembly facility in Portland, and they pointed out their urea tanks - and mocked VW's lack of them. And then this? :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:12 am

localhostrulez wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:

Ooh, that's interesting. I toured the Daimler truck assembly facility in Portland, and they pointed out their urea tanks - and mocked VW's lack of them. And then this? :lol:

It's also interesting that the article doesn't come right out and say that the temperature-based shutoff violates the letter of the EPA regulations (though it certainly violates the spirit of them). This is materially different from the VW case, since (AFAICT) Mercedes isn't specifically detecting that the vehicle is undergoing emissions testing.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:53 am

However, under US law, anything that changes the emissions control strategy in response to something is treated as an "auxiliary emissions control device" (modern cars have a lot of AECDs), and any AECD that isn't disclosed to and approved by the EPA is legally a defeat device.

European regulations are a bit different, in that it's perfectly fine for them to react to parameters that would never occur during the test and act differently, as long as they're not explicitly detecting the test. (As an example, VW switches emissions strategy primarily based on time vs. distance matching the test, which is detecting the test. Other automakers switch it based on throttle input exceeding a certain threshold, which is not detecting the test - if you drive like the test in the test temperature and barometric pressure, you'll get emissions like the test gave.) It's worth noting that, in response to the industry-wide diesel emissions scandal (which actually broke a couple years before Volkswagen's outright cheating was uncovered - in fact, the testing that found that VW was cheating was part of that original scandal, and was trying to prove that actual compliance with EU standards was practical by looking at US cars, because we have much stricter emissions regulations), the EU is adding a new test cycle that includes on-road emissions testing.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:36 am

just brew it! wrote:
localhostrulez wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:

It's also interesting that the article doesn't come right out and say that the temperature-based shutoff violates the letter of the EPA regulations (though it certainly violates the spirit of them). This is materially different from the VW case, since (AFAICT) Mercedes isn't specifically detecting that the vehicle is undergoing emissions testing.

There was some talk of this because the DEF freezes at around 12 degrees f as I recall. When it freezes you have no def injection until the engine warms up enough to thaw out the DEF. This wasn't a problem because because at low engine temperatures NOX production is low. I also noticed the article doesn't state if it's engine temps below 50 or ambient temps below 50.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:41 am

The DEF tanks are heated electrically, though, specifically to keep them from freezing. And, there's typically AECDs granted to give time for the tank to heat up when it's below the AdBlue freezing point, as I understand.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:11 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
The DEF tanks are heated electrically, though, specifically to keep them from freezing. And, there's typically AECDs granted to give time for the tank to heat up when it's below the AdBlue freezing point, as I understand.

On my truck at least it's not electrically heated. There is a seperate coolant loop off the engine to thaw the tank out when it freezes. How long that takes from the time you start the engine I have no idea. The electric ones would have to work the same way and only operate when the engine is running. If the operated any time the temperature dropped below the freeze point of DEF you would have too keep them plugged in all winter around here or the engine be able to start and stop on its own. Other wise the electric heater would drain the battery in no time.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:02 am

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/04/vol ... urces-say/

On Wednesday, Reuters reported that two anonymous sources briefed on the matter agreed that Volkswagen Group would buy back nearly 500,000 2.0L engine diesel vehicles equipped with illegal defeat devices as part of an agreement with the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 pm

tanker27 wrote:
http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/04/volkswagen-to-buy-back-500000-defeat-device-enabled-cars-reuters-sources-say/

On Wednesday, Reuters reported that two anonymous sources briefed on the matter agreed that Volkswagen Group would buy back nearly 500,000 2.0L engine diesel vehicles equipped with illegal defeat devices as part of an agreement with the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

So, back-of-the-envelope math: Somewhere between $8 and $15B, less any residual they can get after software patching the ECU and then dumping the vehicles cheaply into the Latin American and/or Chinese markets?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:27 pm

ludi wrote:
So, back-of-the-envelope math: Somewhere between $8 and $15B, less any residual they can get after software patching the ECU and then dumping the vehicles cheaply into the Latin American and/or Chinese markets?

Buyback amount is market value as of the day before the scandal became public.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:37 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
ludi wrote:

Buyback amount is market value as of the day before the scandal became public.

Yeah, I was figuring somewhere between $15k and $30k per vehicle depending on make and model. TDIs tended to hold their value pretty well, at least before the scandal broke.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:09 pm

ludi wrote:
Yeah, I was figuring somewhere between $15k and $30k per vehicle depending on make and model. TDIs tended to hold their value pretty well, at least before the scandal broke.

That may be a bit rich for the Golf/Jetta 2.0L TDI crowd. Remember, this deal is only for the 2.0L cars. The 3.0L TDIs in the really big-dollar cars still have a breath of life.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:30 pm

Friend of mine got rid of his 4 year old top of the line Golf TDI 10 days before the scandal broke. I think he got $17k Canadian for it.

localhostrulez

Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:08 am

Hmm... http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/04/aft ... ons-issue/

This guy (http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/04/aft ... t-31057727) brought up a good point though - is there actually any evidence of others cheating, or are we just making sure?

superjawes

Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:39 am

localhostrulez wrote:
...is there actually any evidence of others cheating, or are we just making sure?

Most likely just making sure. Daimler could be willing to fight regardless, but the greater damage to VW is the brand damage. These fines are stiff, but VW are in it really deep if they lose their market share (no market share = no income or no profit).

So it is possible that Daimler was/is cheating, and they're betting that VW could absorb all the brand damage. However, I think it's more likely that they are working within the law, and they'll use a moment like this to say "See! We told you we were honest!"
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

localhostrulez

Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:52 am

I mean, I chatted with some Daimler guys a few months back (long after the VW scandal broke), and they were laughing at VW's lack of urea tanks (and pointing out theirs on some disassembled trucks at the factory), so... :) Though VW is STILL talking about rogue engineers, so you should never underestimate stupidity... :roll:

As for market share and brand, I'll admit, my dad has a leased egolf. And throughout the whole thing, he's been like "well, hey, at least I'm not affected". Not sure if he'll go for another VW or not (this is his first). Though I've always been a fan of the Japanese makes (Honda, Subaru, Toyota mainly), so combined with this, I have a hard time seeing myself buy a VW. Well, maybe if they demonstrate that they're doing better quality and being tightly regulated, since Golfs are kinda cool... after all, they *were* basically founded by the third reich, which hasn't been a problem.

localhostrulez

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:29 pm

Ooh, finally, they've moved on from the "rogue engineers" thing: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/04/rep ... e-in-2006/

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:35 am

localhostrulez wrote:
Ooh, finally, they've moved on from the "rogue engineers" thing: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/04/rep ... e-in-2006/

The "rogue engineer" explanation was pretty difficult to take seriously from day one.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:54 am

just brew it! wrote:
localhostrulez wrote:

The "rogue engineer" explanation was pretty difficult to take seriously from day one.

I always felt "rogue engineer" was the $20B "The dog ate my homework"
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.