Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Unmanned Aircraft Systems Registration with FAA

Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:27 pm

I don't own a UAS myself figured I would post this as a reminder in case someone in the forums owns a UAS. So any thoughts on having to register?
If you own a drone, you must register it with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) registry. A federal law effective December 21, 2015 requires unmanned aircraft registration, and you are subject to civil and criminal penalties if you do not register.

Source:UAS Registration
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Unmanned Aircraft Systems Registration with FAA

Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:06 pm

Under this law what considered to be a drone or UAS?

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:16 pm

From what I've read so far in the FAQ,
General

Q. What is the definition of a UAS? Is it different from a drone?
A. A UAS is an unmanned aircraft system. A drone and a UAS are the same for registration purposes.

Q: Does the FAA have the authority to require registration of UAS used by modelers and hobbyists?
A: Yes. By statute all aircraft are required to register. Congress has defined "aircraft" to include UAS, regardless of whether they are operated by modelers and hobbyists.

Q: What is the penalty for failing to register?
A: Failure to register an aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal sanctions. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.

Q: Will an operator be required to have proof of registration while operating the UAS?
A: Yes. You will be required to have your FAA registration certificate in your possession when operating your unmanned aircraft.

Q. Why do I need to register?
A. Federal law requires aircraft registration. Registration helps us ensure safety – for you, others on the ground, and manned aircraft. UAS pose new security and privacy challenges and must be traceable in the event of an incident. It will also help enable the return of your UAS should it be lost.

Q. Which unmanned aircraft may register under the new registration requirements?
A. Unmanned aircraft weighing less than 55 pounds and more than 0.55 pounds (250 grams) on takeoff, including everything that is on board or otherwise attached to the aircraft and operated outdoors in the national airspace system must register.

Q. Is there a weight limit on what requires registration?
A. All owners of small UAS weighing more than 250 grams (0.55 lbs.) and less than 55 lbs. must register using this new system
Last edited by biffzinker on Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:18 pm

I'll have look at this in more detail when I stop tonight but id like to point out most of the new laws specifically regard only commercial use of drones. I haven't looked into what this apples to though because it doesn't really cause even a minor inconvenience.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:20 pm

Just wondering if this law applied to those little toy RC drones that we give to kids.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:24 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Just wondering if this law applied to those little toy RC drones that we give to kids.

All owners of small UAS weighing more than 250 grams (0.55 lbs.) and less than 55 lbs. must register using this new system
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:25 pm

Would appear to apply to modelers, and hobbyists as well.
Here's a link to the FAQs I was reading through: UAS Registration Q&A the links on the bottom from my first post is the parts I was looking through.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:25 pm

Thanks.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:27 pm

whm1974 wrote:

from the FAQ I would say yes. But /shrug I don't know. I haven't found anything that would be a limiting factor like how high it can fly or how far, yet.

EDIT: Here is the answer

Q. Do children's toys need to be registered?
A. Not if they weigh below 250 gm/0.55 lb. or less. Most "toys" the FAA has identified at a purchase price of $100 or less have been determined to weigh less than 250g. You can find more information in this Recreational UAS Weights document (PDF).
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:32 pm

That's good then. There would be a huge backlash if the FAA went after kids for flying little toys.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:34 pm

whm1974 wrote:
That's good then. There would be a huge backlash if the FAA went after kids for flying little toys.

They are still subject to the current "hobby" class flight laws.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:42 pm

Yeah but the ones I've seen can't fly very high and last for about five or ten minutes. The ones that cost around $20 or less.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:51 pm

Small fpv race quads with a range of a mIle can weigh under 250g. The current rules are very lenient though, simply keep los, don't fly over 400 feet and if you're within 5 miles of an airport call the tower and let them know you're flying. Even the tiny ones can fly high enough to pose a risk to low flying craft. It probably wouldn't be a problem, but the faa doesn't pass on them because they may be a problem.
When drunk.....

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:00 pm

Seems utterly unenforceable, and therefore a complete waste of everyone's time
(written from a country without stupid drone legislation)
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:11 pm

I interpret most of it not as iron clad rules to be heavily enforced, but mostly rules that can be upheld if someone is causing trouble and for responsible flying without endangering others. From that perspective I find it all very reasonable.

Also the only violations I've heard pursued were flying for money without a license and taking off in no fly zones around major public monuments/airports.
When drunk.....

DrCR
Gerbil XP

Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:05 pm

Q. Is there a weight limit on what requires registration?
A. All owners of small UAS weighing more than 250 grams (0.55 lbs.) and less than 55 lbs. must register using this new system

I've been completely out of radio control hobbies for a very long time at this point, but I wonder if that 55lbs. upper-end limit will boost activity in the giant scale RC sector, depending on how annoying/inconvenient/et al. the registration criteria is.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:17 pm

The registration is easy for now, what comes down the road when the FAA sees their rules did zero will be seen at a later time.

Basically anything that flies and is over 8.8 ounces will have to be registered. The toy grade stuff like can be purchased at WalMart for the most part will be below the limit.

GeForce6200
Gerbil Elite

Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:26 pm

Hance wrote:
The registration is easy for now, what comes down the road when the FAA sees their rules did zero will be seen at a later time.

Basically anything that flies and is over 8.8 ounces will have to be registered. The toy grade stuff like can be purchased at WalMart for the most part will be below the limit.

As I have been Christmas shopping for my younger siblings I've seen how advanced and large some of the toys have gotten. Quite a few now have cameras on them. I was curious as you said Walmart toys so after a quick google this toy quadcopter at Walmarts comes in at .8lbs. So technically it would have to be registered.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this law and if it's more cover someone's behind kind of deal.
AMD FX8350|Gigabyte GA78LMT Modded (Rev 5.0)|EVGA 980Ti FTW|16GB Corsair DDR3|840 EVO|Raijentek STYX|Enermax TriathlorEco 650|M-Audio BX8a Deluxe

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:08 am

From my cold, dead...wait, my drone's not fat enough to qualify. Guess I'll need to feed it some cornflakes if I want to be a rebel.

Chrispy_ wrote:
Seems utterly unenforceable, and therefore a complete waste of everyone's time
(written from a country without stupid drone legislation)

Unfortunately, "everything's illegal but only if you get a cheap lawyer" is the standard American approach to everything. It underpins most of the unsavory cultural and R&P shenanigans that go on over here.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:47 am

DrCR wrote:
I've been completely out of radio control hobbies for a very long time at this point, but I wonder if that 55lbs. upper-end limit will boost activity in the giant scale RC sector, depending on how annoying/inconvenient/et al. the registration criteria is.
That's because there are already other laws dealing with the 55lbs+ crowd.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:06 am

I just don't see how it benefits law enforcement in any way. Lets say for instance, UAV #12345 lands on the White House lawn, or interferes with airport traffic. Unless they have a method of tying UAV #12345 to user John A Smith, they're still in exactly the same boat. I suppose they could go door-to-door interrogating every registered user in a 5 mile radius, but unless they get a confession it's not going to do much besides piss people off.

Also keep in mind that in order to say a specific device is equal to "UAV #12345" would require a national UAV registry of serial numbers, which would be even more laughable, since any modestly technical person can build them using common materials, and you'd have a cluster#$%* of people trying to add custom devices (and this is just those attempting to follow the law).

kvndoom

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:23 am

The Egg wrote:
I just don't see how it benefits law enforcement in any way. Lets say for instance, UAV #12345 lands on the White House lawn, or interferes with airport traffic. Unless they have a method of tying UAV #12345 to user John A Smith, they're still in exactly the same boat. I suppose they could go door-to-door interrogating every registered user in a 5 mile radius, but unless they get a confession it's not going to do much besides piss people off.

Also keep in mind that in order to say a specific device is equal to "UAV #12345" would require a national UAV registry of serial numbers, which would be even more laughable, since any modestly technical person can build them using common materials, and you'd have a cluster#$%* of people trying to add custom devices (and this is just those attempting to follow the law).

In time, drones will be registered at time of purchase, like guns. This thread is gonna go R&P anyway, so I just went ahead and said what some were thinking anyway. :P
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

The Egg

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:41 am

kvndoom wrote:
In time, drones will be registered at time of purchase, like guns. This thread is gonna go R&P anyway, so I just went ahead and said what some were thinking anyway. :P

That will only work for prebuilt storebought UAVs. With the advent of lightweight lithium polymer batteries, one can build all manner of flying R/C vehicles using foamboard and a handful of small servos and electronics.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:53 am

If you read the faa statement completely it says that the purpose is along the lines of what I said last night. The entire point, according to them, is simply to encourage accurate information about responsible flying practices. This is not at all meant to be a one shot solution to every problem associated with them. Regardless, in order to enforce against people who are flying irresponsibly you must have definitions and penalties about the matter. Let me elaborate.

If you're flying 4 miles from an airport near the ground, your probably not going to be bothered. Fly at 400 feet in the landing path so planes can see it, they'll try to find you and have clearly defined penalties.

Flying alone at a park that has no fly zone rules. No problem.
Do the same except over a group of people having a party.

It's about common sense and responsibility and promoting that mindset.
When drunk.....