Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: How to get good service from a dealership?

Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:28 pm

Fair enough. Sounds like life has just dealt you a really crappy hand these past few years; if you're just scraping by, something's gotta give. Sounds like you understand the risks, at least.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:04 pm

The day I walked into the dealership to buy my current car I was ignored. A couple that came in after me received attention immediately. When I finally sat down with the salesperson I actually had to persuade him that I was buying the car in full right then and there. It took forever as well. I found the experience tremendously odd.

The more you know about your car the better your dealer experience will be. I try and keep my dealer visits very focused although I have had issues. With my previous car I took it in to get a head gasket replaced at my local Ford dealer. They failed to seal the engine head properly and smoke came billowing out when I drove off. What a nightmare.

As far as I am aware tire warranties are between us and the tire manufacturers. If you have been using just one set of tires on your Veloster (very nice car BTW) since you bought it (2011) then you have no reason to complain. I've been through 4 sets since 2012 (replaced the originals with summers + a set of duplicate rims for winter tires (winters x2 due to pothole damage). To be honest I can't be bothered with tire warranties. I plan for bad sh1t to happen and if they have to be replaced I just keep it simple and order a new set.

Brakes/shocks/springs are items that are on the horizon for me as I plan on keeping my car for another 6+ years.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:16 pm

End User wrote:
The day I walked into the dealership to buy my current car I was ignored. A couple that came in after me received attention immediately. When I finally sat down with the salesperson I actually had to persuade him that I was buying the car in full right then and there. It took forever as well. I found the experience tremendously odd.
My experience was odd too. I had already decided that I wanted a Hyundai for the best-in-the-business warranty; as I mentioned earlier in the thread I was mostly interested in buying new because I was tired of the constant maintenance and problems on my previous vehicles, especially the Focus SVT I had at that time. I had been in once to look at the brand-new Veloster, which had just arrived that day coincidentally. I went home immediately after and configured a Veloster on the website, which required putting my zip code into the configurator. When I went to the dealership a few days later, the Veloster I had configured -- literally, exactly -- was waiting for me right there on the lot. I walked in by myself dressed up nice (business casual with a handbag; I normally don't carry one) and said "I want to buy the Veloster I ordered" kinda half-seriously and they asked if my parents were there with me. Fantastic. (・へ・) Even though I had so much cash in hand and even though I had already picked out my car they made me wait for AGES before I was able to even TALK to someone about buying it. If I were a smarter person -- or less determined to have that specific vehicle -- I would have walked out. If something like that ever happens to me again, I definitely will.
End User wrote:
With my previous car I took it in to get a head gasket replaced at my local Ford dealer. They failed to seal the engine head properly and smoke came billowing out when I drove off. What a nightmare.
Oh wow. With my previous car (2003 Focus SVT) I had my oil changed at a local dealership who advertised $9.99 oil changes, and when I started the car to leave it immediately started knocking. I quickly switched it off and popped the hood -- bone dry. They drained my car and gave it back to me! Unbelievable. That engine later developed serious rod knock and I think that dealership is ultimately at fault but I could never prove it.
End User wrote:
As far as I am aware tire warranties are between us and the tire manufacturers. If you have been using just one set of tires on your Veloster (very nice car BTW) since you bought it (2011) then you have no reason to complain.
No no! I am on my third set of tires (OEM tires lasted ~25k -> replacements that barely lasted 20,000 miles -> current set of OEM-alikes which were very cheap, $45 apiece). I should probably suck it up and buy some actual nice tires for my car but ... money! It's really tough right now with me being unemployed. I'm fortunate enough to have living conditions where my monthly living expenses are very small, but even that is hard to pay with no job! I've been looking for months now and nobody seems to want to hire me. Not that I blame them, but that's another topic for another post.

End User

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:39 pm

auxy wrote:
especially the Focus SVT I had at that time.

I had a Focus ZX3 back then. I would have killed for a SVT.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:46 pm

End User wrote:
auxy wrote:

No, it was horrible. The traction control it supposedly had barely worked and it was almost impossible to launch the thing in first gear without spinning the tires, yet it was super sluggish to start in 2nd gear. I went through so many tires in that thing and I don't drive fast. My DAD was the one who picked it out and bought it for me; I certainly appreciate it but what kind of car is a heavily used Focus SVT for a 17 year old girl? Even as tomboyish as I was/am. I barely could see over the steering wheel too, which was annoying. And the clutch was so mushy... I hated that car honestly. All black exterior and interior, with a custom audio system and chrome steering wheel and shifter, which meant it was incredibly uncomfortable in the Texas summers, and it got so much attention from boys, which I'm sure was part of my dad's plan, even though he didn't realize at the time (nor, really, did I) that I REALLY wasn't interested in that. We had to replace the alternator twice, the fuel pump 3 times, the fuel tank, the distributor, the power steering ... pump? twice, the entire exhaust (because what it had wouldn't actually pass inspection), and then it blew the head gasket and we had to replace the whole head... I don't even know how much money my dad put into that car for me and I don't want to know, but it was a mess. I hated it. I still hate it. lol.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:53 pm

The only Ford I've ever owned (a Tempo, early 1990s model year IIRC) was an unmitigated disaster as well. Ford earned a permanent spot at the top of my "avoid" list as a result of that vehicle. Never again! It was purchased used, and within a year I ditched it by trading it in.

End User

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:00 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The only Ford I've ever owned (a Tempo, early 1990s model year IIRC) was an unmitigated disaster as well. Ford earned a permanent spot at the top of my "avoid" list as a result of that vehicle. Never again! It was purchased used, and within a year I ditched it by trading it in.

Ah, the Tempo. Hard to believe it came from the same company that now gives us this masterpiece. :D

End User

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:01 pm

auxy wrote:
End User wrote:
auxy wrote:

No, it was horrible. The traction control it supposedly had barely worked and it was almost impossible to launch the thing in first gear without spinning the tires

Auto or manual?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:05 pm

End User wrote:
auxy wrote:
No, it was horrible. The traction control it supposedly had barely worked and it was almost impossible to launch the thing in first gear without spinning the tires

Auto or manual?

Well... "launch the thing in first gear" sort of implies manual. She also mentioned a clutch as one of the problem areas. :wink:

Edit: The clutch on the above mentioned Tempo really sucked too, FWIW. The amount of pedal travel required to get it to engage seemed to vary day-to-day. Drove me frikkin' nuts.

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:41 pm

just brew it! wrote:

My mom had an...'88? '89? She finally got rid of it in 2006, replaced it with a Focus SE. She loved that thing, even though it was ugly as sin. Was hardly ever in the shop though. Maybe she just got lucky, though?

Also, what's with everyone replacing tires CONSTANTLY? I just replaced the Zeon RS3-A's on my gen coupe after just over 40K miles of...well, spirited driving, and they probably could have gotten me through another summer, but I figured I could just buy new tires in the spring. I slapped some Michelin X-Ice 3's on it for the winter we haven't been having, which was clearly a good move. :roll:
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:57 pm

My youngest daughter has been through more tires in the past 5 years than I've been through in the past 20. Not sure what the deal is there, but many of the issues have involved sidewall damage (and the occasional bent rim) on the passenger side, so I have some guesses.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:01 pm

CampinCarl wrote:
Also, what's with everyone replacing tires CONSTANTLY?

Really quite simple. Grip and tread life are inversely proportional. There's only so much magic the petro-chemists can squeeze out of the raw ingredients of tires.

Summer/all-seasons I expect 30K/40K. Dedicated snows tend to die around 25K. The only way to make any tire last its advertised "tread life" is to drive like the fear-stricken women clutching the steering wheel for dear life I had to dodge around on the Garden State and NY Thruway today (i.e. slowly and with no side-to-side movement whatsoever).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:10 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
CampinCarl wrote:
Also, what's with everyone replacing tires CONSTANTLY?

Really quite simple. Grip and tread life are inversely proportional. There's only so much magic the petro-chemists can squeeze out of the raw ingredients of tires. Summer/all-seasons I expect 30K/40K. Dedicated snows tend to die around 25K.

...or after about three years in warm and/or dry climates. I've got a set of decent all-season Bridgestones on the Camry which still have about 30-40% of their tread life remaining. But since it was a backup car for a couple years, and had winter tires for about 2-3 months each year, it never got the miles, so the rubber dried out first. The tire shop took a look at some cracking I observed around the tire bead last summer and said the sidewalls are not in danger yet, but I'll probably end up replacing them next spring when the winter set comes back off.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

mattshwink
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:04 pm

auxy wrote:
My experience was odd too. I had already decided that I wanted a Hyundai for the best-in-the-business warranty; as I mentioned earlier in the thread I was mostly interested in buying new because I was tired of the constant maintenance and problems on my previous vehicles, especially the Focus SVT I had at that time. I had been in once to look at the brand-new Veloster, which had just arrived that day coincidentally. I went home immediately after and configured a Veloster on the website, which required putting my zip code into the configurator. When I went to the dealership a few days later, the Veloster I had configured -- literally, exactly -- was waiting for me right there on the lot. I walked in by myself dressed up nice (business casual with a handbag; I normally don't carry one) and said "I want to buy the Veloster I ordered" kinda half-seriously and they asked if my parents were there with me. Fantastic. (・へ・) Even though I had so much cash in hand and even though I had already picked out my car they made me wait for AGES before I was able to even TALK to someone about buying it. If I were a smarter person -- or less determined to have that specific vehicle -- I would have walked out. If something like that ever happens to me again, I definitely will.

One thing I can recommend here is actually contacting the dealer before coming in and dealing with what is usually called the Internet sales department. You should be able to do everything, pick the car, haggle on the price, in my experience it makes things easier.

auxy wrote:
No no! I am on my third set of tires (OEM tires lasted ~25k -> replacements that barely lasted 20,000 miles -> current set of OEM-alikes which were very cheap, $45 apiece). I should probably suck it up and buy some actual nice tires for my car but ... money!

My advice on tires is to use Tire Rack. You can see tires for your car and reviews and pick exactly what you want. They will then ship to an installer you specify and you just take your car there when the tires arrive. Saves having to buy what the have on hand and you can actually get a decent set of tires for a good price.

The Egg

Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:20 pm

Wow.....some of you guys have really bad luck with tires. I don't think I've ever gotten less than 40k out of a set. My current factory Bridgestones have close to that, and could probably go another 20-25k easy. Of course, they perform/grip like crap, and the car is a dog, so that might have something to do with it.

I think much of tire lifespan comes down to driving style. In non-performance cars (like mine), the biggest factor is how heavy you are on the brakes, and number of hard braking events. Since my generalized driving style could be characterized as "avoids braking" (I frequently coast up to red lights when nobody is behind me, among other things), this is probably why I get good tire life. In cars with more power, how heavy your foot is off the line, and frequent hard cornering comes into play (though I think braking is probably still #1).

localhostrulez

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:12 am

just brew it! wrote:
Well... "launch the thing in first gear" sort of implies manual. She also mentioned a clutch as one of the problem areas. :wink:

Yeah, but be careful with that. I've had people assume I was talking about manuals when I mentioned downshifting on hills. Thing is, I do drive a manual, but I force a downshift for long downhills on automatics as well. Doubly so there because there's usually less engine braking on those otherwise. There's a 35MPH windy downhill road near my parents' house. In mom's automatic CR-V, your choices are ride the brakes the entire friggin' way down, or downshift to 3rd and barely hit any pedals (D3 mode, it's a 5-speed).

auxy wrote:
We had to replace the alternator twice, the fuel pump 3 times, the fuel tank, the distributor, the power steering ... pump? twice, the entire exhaust (because what it had wouldn't actually pass inspection), and then it blew the head gasket and we had to replace the whole head... I don't even know how much money my dad put into that car for me and I don't want to know, but it was a mess. I hated it. I still hate it. lol.

You're making my whining about my Civic's problems look like nothing by comparison. :lol: Granted, I don't think the previous owner (of 2) maintained it terribly well, and I caused some of the problems while trying to learn how the car works/fixing other problems, so...

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:31 am

localhostrulez wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Yeah, but be careful with that. I've had people assume I was talking about manuals when I mentioned downshifting on hills. Thing is, I do drive a manual, but I force a downshift for long downhills on automatics as well. Doubly so there because there's usually less engine braking on those otherwise. There's a 35MPH windy downhill road near my parents' house. In mom's automatic CR-V, your choices are ride the brakes the entire friggin' way down, or downshift to 3rd and barely hit any pedals (D3 mode, it's a 5-speed).
The SVT had a six-speed manual, just like my Veloster, although the gearing was MUCH different; the SVT had much more aggressive gearing from 1-4, presumably owing to its heritage as a sports car, while my Veloster has an extremely aggressive first gear ... and then super-lax 2nd-through-6th. It makes it pretty boring to drive if I'm honest, but I don't care that much about that anyway.

Schmoo
Gerbil

Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:20 pm

auxy wrote:
I also overheard the service bay manager call me "that little dyke" through the wall .....

To be honest, I have to sympathise with the guy there because that's pretty much what goes through my head every time I see you misusing katakana characters to make up some poxy looking extended smiley. オークシ イズ ポクシ.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:23 pm

Let's keep it civil, shall we?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:52 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
Thing is, I do drive a manual, but I force a downshift for long downhills on automatics as well. Doubly so there because there's usually less engine braking on those otherwise. There's a 35MPH windy downhill road near my parents' house. In mom's automatic CR-V, your choices are ride the brakes the entire friggin' way down, or downshift to 3rd and barely hit any pedals (D3 mode, it's a 5-speed).

Interestingly, most newer automatics that offer a "sport" setting will do this now. Slow down the car, and the tranny computer will kick down the gear ratios proportionately. Generally the Sport mode is disabled by default when starting the car because it impacts the fuel economy, so it has to be selected each time, but it makes the car behave better whenever braking is applied.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

SuperSpy

Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:52 pm

I'm surprised by the bad luck with Focus' here. My wife's 2012 Focus, apart from the brain-dead 'sync' stereo system, has been great.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:23 pm

Schmoo wrote:
To be honest, I have to sympathise with the guy there because that's pretty much what goes through my head every time I see you misusing katakana characters to make up some poxy looking extended smiley. オークシ イズ ポクシ.
Kaomoji are a long tradition. If you don't like it you should simply add me to 'foes' in the forum software and you will never see any of my posts. お前はアホです。私に話しかけないで下さい。

localhostrulez

Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:27 pm

auxy wrote:
Schmoo wrote:
Kaomoji are a long tradition. If you don't like it you should simply add me to 'foes' in the forum software and you will never see any of my posts. お前はアホです。私に話しかけないで下さい。

I took 2 years of Francais in high school, and barely passed it. Maybe I should try again now that I'm in college... Cantonese maybe, since that's what part of my family speaks? (The other side is from the UK... I speak that language pretty fluently. :lol:) Either way, it'd probably got a lot better than me trying to learn a programming language. :wink:

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:31 pm

I am a traveling sales Rep.
Consequently, I have owned a dozen cars and driven over a million miles.

How do you get good service from a dealership...never darken their door unless you absolutely and positively have to.

I have never found a dealership that was run either honestly or economically.

your experience may vary...but their are structural reasons for this.

The service center is the profit center of the dealership. They often make very little actual profit selling cars.
Hence, they are very motivated to sell you "services" that you do not need.

1. They have a huge overhead and cost...required to use dealer parts...which are a profit center for the auto supply chain of the auto maker
2. They have high billing structures based on "hours required"...a mechanic may spend five minutes doing a job that you are billed for two hours of labor.

The list of reasons goes on and on.

Find a professional shop, run by ethical and honest people you know in your community.
You will get 10x the work for half the price you pay at any dealership in the UNITED STATES...any car brand...it is just in the structure of the beast. :wink:

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:42 pm

mdk77777 wrote:
Find a professional shop, run by ethical and honest people you know in your community.
You will get 10x the work for half the price you pay at any dealership in the UNITED STATES...any car brand...it is just in the structure of the beast. :wink:

The main problem with this is that it isn't always attainable. Some areas just don't have them, sometimes you just don't know the area that well, and honestly, trying to figure it out is pretty darned hard. A lot of times, it's just more straightforward to go to the dealer and get a little bit screwed, then to risk being mega screwed by some shady dude that runs a shop (not that you can tell he's shady).
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:12 am

CampinCarl wrote:
mdk77777 wrote:

The main problem with this is that it isn't always attainable. Some areas just don't have them, sometimes you just don't know the area that well, and honestly, trying to figure it out is pretty darned hard. A lot of times, it's just more straightforward to go to the dealer and get a little bit screwed, then to risk being mega screwed by some shady dude that runs a shop (not that you can tell he's shady).

We used to have one in the area; then they changed hands about 5 years ago. Had a couple of bad experiences after that and haven't been back since.

As far as the big chains go...

Merlins has been a mixed bag. When they're good, they're very good (and reasonably priced). Other times they're just clueless (multiple visits to fix the same issue), or try to screw you over on parts. Until about a year ago I used them mainly for convenience's sake, as they had a location close to my job; I could drop the car there on my way to work, and they'd drive me the rest of the way to work and pick me up later in the day when the car was ready.

The local Firestone seems to be reasonably consistent, but they're a little on the expensive side for repair work (probably not much cheaper than a dealer). On the plus side compared to a dealer they don't require an appointment, they're open Sundays, and if you use their credit card you get 6 months to pay with no interest (but if you exceed the 6 month window you get hit with extortionate retroactive interest, so you really need to make sure you pay it off before then). One big reason for using them currently is similar to why I stuck with Merlins for several years -- convenience. They're on the commuter shuttle bus route between my subdivision and the commuter rail station, so I can drop the car there in the morning, take the bus to the station, and reverse the routine to pick it up on the way home.

Tried Pep Boys once. Just say no.