Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Re: What shows are you recently watching?

Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:43 pm

Anyone been watching Season 6 of The Venture Bros.? What do you think of the 2 episodes so far?
It would take you... 2233 continuous hours or 93 days, 1 hour, and 20 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could... Speed run Super Mario Bros (NES) 26,800 times.

greenmystik
Gerbil First Class

Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:49 pm

Just finished Jessica Jones and 1st season of Vikings. Took me a while to get into Vikings, but Jessica Jones was awesome.

Currently watching 1st season of Ray Donovan and The Last Ship. Watching all of the DC shows as well. There really is too much TV to watch, and its hard to get around to all of them. Really enjoying Scorpion as well.
If practice makes perfect, but nobodies perfect, then why practice?

Hawkwing74
Silver subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:45 am

2 days left till Game of Thrones! My Indian coworkers tend to love the show as much as me. 4 out of 7 on our dev team watch it. Our boss's boss's boss's boss watches too.

Also, I am going to start watching The Expanse now that I'm mostly done with book 1.

Enjoying Star Wars: Rebels which was a pleasant surprise.

coolflame57
Gerbil

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:01 am

My favorite TV show of all time has to be The Office. It's pretty dry humor, but incredibly quotable in everyday life and by far the funniest TV show I've ever watched.

cynan
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:41 am

coolflame57 wrote:
My favorite TV show of all time has to be The Office. It's pretty dry humor, but incredibly quotable in everyday life and by far the funniest TV show I've ever watched.

Which version? Or both?

cynan
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:55 am

greenmystik wrote:
Just finished Jessica Jones and 1st season of Vikings. Took me a while to get into Vikings, but Jessica Jones was awesome.

Currently watching 1st season of Ray Donovan and The Last Ship. Watching all of the DC shows as well. There really is too much TV to watch, and its hard to get around to all of them. Really enjoying Scorpion as well.

Marvel TV Rank:

1) Daredevil
2) Jessica Jones
3) Luke Cage
4) Iron Fist

WIth Iron Fist and Luke Cage a little further down the list. I thought the production value and acting in Luke Cage to be top notch, at least on par with the first 2. Just found it a bit difficult to care about the plot/story. Also, something about his ability that makes him less vulnerable to every day dangers than the other "heroes" somehow detracts. Iron Fist was pretty mediocre across the board. But a few episodes were OK. Don't know how I feel about Finn Jones' acting ability vs the other leads.

DC TV:

1)Arrow
2)Flash

Arrow is OK, but some of the episodes are a slog. Also, I can't believe this thing is still going into 6 seasons.

Haven't seen Supergirl or Legends. Or the other DC shows not based in the "Arrowverse"

I've also just finished watching The Leftovers (interesting premise, but I had some issues with how it played out after Season 1) and Taboo S1 (which was awsome).

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:09 am

I'd personally rank Luke Cage above the second ellipsis but otherwise I think cynann has a decent ranking there.

For the DC shows, I *really* like Gotham. People gripe about deus ex machina early into the show, which can be a valid complaint for some folks. It's kind of contrived and you can usually predict the plot (even many of the "surprises"), but I just really enjoy it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:38 am

Tanya the Evil. (heh)

superjawes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:09 pm

Marvel:
1) Jessica Jones
2) Daredevil
3) Luke Cage
4) Iron Fist

I generally prefer good stories, so Jessica Jones ends up on top, but Daredevil's action makes it a close second. Luke Cage is also a solid series sporting the best soundtrack of the bunch. Iron Fist...needed a few more months of development. It really feels like they rushed it to Netflix in preparation of The Defenders, and that means they failed to answer the question: "Why do The Defenders need Iron Fist?"

Side note, are we just ignoring Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and Inhumans? Because I am okay with that.

DC:
1) Flash
2) Supergirl
3) Arrow
4) Legends of Tomorrow
5) Gotham

Arrow was pretty good, but it seems to struggle in a post-Flash "Arrowverse". It started as a gritty/realistic vigilante show, but that doesn't fit as well in a world where the Flash (especially Team Flash) could run around and solve 90% of the problems. Legends of Tomorrow is okay, but it mostly feels like an excuse to sling different DC properties from week to week. The Flash and Supergirl just work. Both have excellent casting and are fun to watch.

As for Gotham, the first season was pretty good, but trying to prequel EVERY Batman villain got old quick.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

cynan
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:36 pm

superjawes wrote:
they failed to answer the question: "Why do The Defenders need Iron Fist?"

Because he can punch things really, really hard. Duh.

"Iron Fist? Sounds like a sex toy"
Last edited by cynan on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:38 pm

Yes, CW channel has really good line up, but i think Legends of Tomorrow is the best one out of the set. Agree Arrow was head and shoulder above the rest with all the expansive plot archs and flash backs. Still, Caity Lotz is one of the more believable/realistic female heroines. At the end of the day, besides a good plot/foundation,... its the actors/actresses that carry the show.

SyFy is the other one. 12 Monkeys was pretty great, meaning Amanda Schull and Aaron Stanford were good actors. I was expecting suckage, and sometimes plot was weak, but they can act. Z Nation, Dark Matter, Killjoys, The Expanse, The Magicians and Wynonna Earp are really good. Watch em all as they come on and off. Earp is so easy and funny.

FX, Taboo was great, cant wait for more. The Strain started good, but damn Corey Stoll's character just sucks, the show would be good other wise if he got killed off.
HBO Billions is not bad. Sr Avilla was pretty good/had promise. Alice was good too.
AMC Fear the Walking Dead is sooooooooooo much better than original's totally unbelievable characters. Wish Penny Dreadful had not finished. The last season episode 4, A Blade of Grass was to me super theatrical/masterpiece. Eva Green and Rory Kinnear were just amazing. The script was great.
CBS, still watch Zoo, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
FOX, Gotham is great, Lucifer, too. Scream Queens!!!!! How can you not like Chanel #1, dont care they just need to make more, its too few episodes. The Last Man on Earth has its moments.
Starz, Black sails just finished recently. Was pretty good.
NBC, Blacklist and Grimm(recently finished) were pretty good.

What do i enjoy the most and actually look forward to? SyFy lineup, Scream Queens. Fear the Walking Dead, but its made a few Walking Dead like blunders(they all walk home w/o shoes and dont take off shirts to wrap feet? cant say more without giving away plot) Taboo, but that's partly a bromance. I prefer good actors with weak plot versus good plot and bad actors.

I'm sure I'm missing a few good/excellent ones. I thought NBC Hannibal's first two seasons were great.

Wrapping up, watch everything on SyFy and Scream Queens.

See i almost forgot, Mike Tyson's Mysteries, yes that Mike Tyson. New season just started a month ago? Sooo funny.

YoTechBoii
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:23 pm

The walking dead!!

coolflame57
Gerbil

Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:18 pm

cynan wrote:
coolflame57 wrote:

Which version? Or both?

I exclusively have watched the American version.

Sorry for not specifying/responding for so long (I lurk much more than I post so I didn't see this). Pobody's nerfect.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:40 pm

Anybody watch Defenders on Netflix yet? I haven't gotten to it but I'm hearing mostly good things.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

credible
Gerbil XP

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:44 pm

Just finished watching the first 2 seasons of The Killing, damn that was done very well and had me on the edge of my seat wondering what was actually happening.

Hawkwing74
Silver subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:22 am

Re-watching the first few seasons of the Office (American).

Comedy gold.

farmpuma
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:35 am

Really enjoying The Orville on Fox. Kind of a blend of Star Trek and Firefly with a little Kurt Vonnegut tossed into the mix. Kudos to Seth MacFarlane!
Image Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy.

Kougar
Silver subscriber

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:42 pm

For those with a science/astronomy bent The Planets is a good watch. Didn't think there would be enough stuff to make an episode on Pluto but apparently even Pluto is still geologically active through several mechanisms. The episode on the proposed 9th planet (not pluto) was also pretty interesting to follow.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:25 pm

farmpuma wrote:
Really enjoying The Orville on Fox. Kind of a blend of Star Trek and Firefly with a little Kurt Vonnegut tossed into the mix. Kudos to Seth MacFarlane!

I did not expect to like this, but it's not bad. I wouldn't say it's fantastic, but it's pretty good. The mash-up of earnest TNG imitation and lowbrow humor is a little odd TBH, but it mostly works, most of the time; I suppose that may even be a plus for potential fans who thought Star Trek took itself too seriously.

I'm really not sure whether to call it a Star Trek tribute or a Star Trek parody. I guess it is a little bit of both.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:21 pm

My wife started watching 'The Good Place', and I've been intermittently keeping up with it when I'm in the room.

It's... very hard to describe, but probably worth watching if you enjoy watching disasters happen in slow-motion. It just... keeps getting worse. Riveting in a sick way.

Voldenuit

Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:41 pm

Star Trek: Discovery
Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams (anthology sci-fi series)
The Gifted (X-Men spinoff focusing on the dystopia of widespread societal discrimination against mutants)
South Park
Mr. Robot S3

In the hiatus for Rick and Morty, Steven Universe, Adventure Time. Nooooooo~.
Last edited by Voldenuit on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

superjawes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:22 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
My wife started watching 'The Good Place', and I've been intermittently keeping up with it when I'm in the room.

It's... very hard to describe, but probably worth watching if you enjoy watching disasters happen in slow-motion. It just... keeps getting worse. Riveting in a sick way.
Season 1 is on Netflix, and because it takes up a 30min time slot, you could easily binge it in a weekend. I really like it. It was a fun premise (Kristen Bell shouldn't be in the Good Place), and the finale definitely gives the show a few more season's worth of material.

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:12 pm

superjawes wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

Season 1 is on Netflix, and because it takes up a 30min time slot, you could easily binge it in a weekend. I really like it. It was a fun premise (Kristen Bell shouldn't be in the Good Place), and the finale definitely gives the show a few more season's worth of material.

It sounds like I've seen more of the show than you (assuming that you're not simply avoiding spoilers), but the hits just keep coming even after that reveal. And the ... rest of the reveals.

superjawes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
It sounds like I've seen more of the show than you (assuming that you're not simply avoiding spoilers), but the hits just keep coming even after that reveal. And the ... rest of the reveals.
Sounds like it. We don't really watch a lot of TV as it airs, so we'll have to catch up later.

DancinJack
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:56 pm

Currently...

Star Trek Discovery (getting better, but a long way to go IMO)
The Deuce (HBO)
Mindhunter (Netflix)
Curb (HBO)

Excited for subsequent seasons of...

Stranger Things
Peaky Blinders (Netflix after BBC UK)
Taboo
The Expanse

and a few others.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:24 pm

They're doing another season of Peaky Blinders? Nifty. I'll have to check that out once it comes around.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

trackerben

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:36 am

Star Trek Discovery, which has turned out be watchable, just. Deutschland 83 was great. Can't wait for the Man in The High Castle to return and retrieve for me that otherworld sense again.