Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: What shows are you recently watching?

Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:24 pm

They're doing another season of Peaky Blinders? Nifty. I'll have to check that out once it comes around.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

trackerben

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:36 am

Star Trek Discovery, which has turned out be watchable, just. Deutschland 83 was great. Can't wait for the Man in The High Castle to return and retrieve for me that otherworld sense again.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:35 pm

I've been binge-watching The Flash for a few weeks now, ever since the latest season hit Netflix. For the most part I like it... it's cheesy but in a fun way. Some of the crossover stuff makes it hard to follow sometimes (I don't have time to watch all four DC series) but it's still good fun.

Fear The Walking Dead - was ready to give up on this show last season but I am really liking the new season so far. Morgan really carries the show in my opinion.

Legion - one of the most visually cool shows I've seen in a long time... story is definitely kind of weird and they transition from real life to dreams to alternate realities pretty often, so it can be kind of hard to follow if you miss an episode; but it's a cool show.

Forged In Fire - I've always been kind of fascinated by forging, and I like weapons; this is a really cool show even if it is pretty repetitive.

Lucky Jack Aubrey

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Currently following Westworld on HBO. All in all, I'm glad to see it has been renewed for a third season.

On network TV, I followed Young Sheldon through its first season. Not bad. Not great, but not bad.

Currently waiting for Vikings to return on The History Channel. And, of course, the final season of Game of Thrones on HBO.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Arrested Development season 5 is pretty decent. And honestly, the re-cut of season 4 was much more enjoyable than the original take.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Bobs_Your_Uncle
Gerbil

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:33 am

To revisit a couple of programs mentioned above:
The Expanse - Best SciFi series produced in years! Season 3 is closing out over the next 2 or 3 episodes & SyFy declined to renew for season 4. Bezos & his space obsession Save The Day! The Expanse will launch season 4 on Amazon Prime, though NetFlix has streaming rights to seasons 1 thru 3 (at least for now).

Legion - Visually captivating, conceptually riveting & unlike anything previously produced for TV, season 2 wraps up Tues. June 12th on FX. As noted above, it's decidedly *Trippy* & probably not for everyone, but IMHO Legion is original in approach (explores previously uncharted creative directions), scripting is keenly focused & compelling (must watch in episodic order!) and has been cast to perfection (Hint: You get to see the Aubrey Plaza that you've always known to be lurking just beneath the surface)!

First Mentions:
Killing Eve - Season 1 has recently wrapped on BBC America. The show features strong development of extremely compelling characters. The plot-line launches the protagonist & antagonist into an (I think) unprecedented relationship of mutual fascination, actually skating on the edges of love/hate. The regular supporting characters are all interesting, pleasingly quirky personalities & are provided equally well written scripting. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SHOW ... if you happen to delight in misogyny! From Top to Bottom ... both in the cast & the production staff ... Killing Eve is a show led by women. This on-screen female presence is welcome, given the strength of the cast; essential, given the plot-line; and generally just refreshingly different. Sandra Oh really drives the show as Eve Polastri and Jodi Comer, as nemesis Villanelle, "literally kills" in her role as a magnetic psychopath. There's certainly no fault to be found behind the scenes.

Condor - The pilot aired the 1st week of June on Audience (an AT&T produced channel on DirecTV), and though it's too early to draw any sweeping conclusions, the pilot shows some promise. Based on 3 Days Of The Condor, the show features a seemingly solid cast (with a few big names) working their way thorough a well executed "slower-burn" series opener that is none-the-less well paced & certainly doesn't lag/drag in any way. Fingers crossed.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:37 pm

The Final season of Face Off premiers this week. I'm very sad. It is by far my favorite "reality TV" show/competition. It is the only one I know of that doesn't focus on the drama and the talent is put on full display. It is also the only TV show that I've bought on iTunes and we routinely go back and bing watch the 8+ seasons once a year or so. (Laura is my favorite ever).

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:08 pm

Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:18 pm

Westworld - duh
Doctor Who - Started over again at the "new" Series 1 (Eccleston)
Lots of documentaries. I love documentaries.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:52 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Doctor Who - Started over again at the "new" Series 1 (Eccleston)

9, 10, & 11 are great. I never could get into 12.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:59 pm

4, 5 & 10 for me (mostly 4), along with a big side-helping of SJS. 11 was (to me) horrid and I've yet to watch 12.

Gallifrey falls no more. https://youtu.be/1cbQVfVfSrI
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

superjawes

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:40 pm

I've liked every Doctor I've seen. That's 9-12, plus some 3 when my wife was watching some Classic Who. Every single one of them has something different to love. Maybe I'll try to find a good way to watch 13 when the next season starts up...
Last edited by superjawes on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:53 pm

Stargate SG1 (never caught it all on TV, but it's surprisingly fun so far - on season 5)
Star Trek (pick a series - the wife and I tend to start rewatching when we run out of recent things to watch)
Westworld in on my absolutely must watch list, but haven't found the time
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:24 pm

I binged River Monsters over 3 days.

I've been nightfishing for catfish...would love to land a big old channel cat or alligator gar :) C&R only for me with those though (they don't taste good).
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:33 pm

Hell yes. Glad there are some Who fans here. And yeah, there is something for everyone in the "new" stuff IMO.

I wish Moffat could have done more of the writing when Tennant was The Doctor. Matt Smith writing (Moffat mostly) + David Tennant is my Doctor Who dream team. Though I do like Matt Smith and Capaldi too.

Are you guys sure about your Series/Season numbers? Series 11 is just airing this year. Maybe you guys are talking old Who because, well, you're old. :)
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:28 am

DancinJack wrote:
Are you guys sure about your Series/Season numbers? Series 11 is just airing this year. Maybe you guys are talking old Who because, well, you're old. :)

Doctor numbers, not series numbers.

superjawes

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:13 am

Captain Ned wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

Classic, 1-7
Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, T. Baker, Davidson, C. Baker, & McCoy

Movie, 8
McGann

Added for the 50th Anniversary, War Doctor
Hurt

Modern, 9-13+
Eccleston, Tennant, Smith, Cappaldi, Whitaker, & more?

Yeah, not really worth tracking seasons since we have two distinct eras of the show (plus the between time). Also, did Classic really follow the "season" (or "series") format as understood today?

EDIT: ooops! :oops:
Last edited by superjawes on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:27 am

The 50th was the pinnacle for me. We went and saw it in the theater too. Amazing.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 am

superjawes wrote:
Classic, 1-7
Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, T. Baker, Moffet, C. Baker, & McCoy

Remove Moffet and replace with Peter Davison.

superjawes wrote:
Also, did Classic really follow the "season" (or "series") format as understood today?

Nope. That all came in with Eccleston.

superjawes

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:43 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Remove Moffet and replace with Peter Davison.
Should have caught that! Probably messed it up because of what Georgia Moffet (and David Tennant) did to the family trees...

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:50 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
I binged River Monsters over 3 days.

I've been nightfishing for catfish...would love to land a big old channel cat or alligator gar :) C&R only for me with those though (they don't taste good).

Yeah, I used to watch Jeremy Wade's episodes whenever I could catch them on. I think my favorite trip he did was when he went way upstream in the Amazon to a location only known by a native tribe and caught an isolated species of Arapaima. Catch and release of course. Those are among the largest freshwater species along with Alligator Gar and they are living prehistoric creatures with primitive lungs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arapaima
Saw lots of 200+ lbs gars when I lived in FL and TX. Darn gars would sometimes rip off my redbelly and bluegill bream whenever I had one on the line :x
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:18 pm

Oh I have a question for the Who fans.

Who is your favourite Doctor, and your favorite sidekick?

Captain Ned wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

Ah, that's why I was confused. I started with series number and it transitioned to Doctor # without anyone explicitly saying so.

BIF

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:10 am

Watching old Kung Fu episodes now. There was some really good acting in that series, particularly in the 2nd season where I am right now.

Also, to keep me from taking life too seriously (and for some much needed contrast), The Dukes of Hazzard. Hey, it's not "reality TV", so don't judge! And it's free on Prime, so there! :P It's shocking that they destroyed something over 320 Dodge Chargers during the seven year run of that series, eep! So far, I haven't seen it rain once in Hazzard, and it's amazing that the Dukes can actually grow anything at all on their farm, what with all the time they spend breaking out of jail and jumping over cop cars and gullys! :o 8)

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:13 am

-not much currently, it's the off-season.

..just finished The Crossing (and it just finished as well - its cancelled). It had promise for a sort of Stephan King TV plot, with writing that wasn't too predictable. Also, iZombie, Krypton, and Lucifer (..poor show's craped-out already), The Blacklist (..with its altogether obvious "revelation" this season finale).

B4 that - Marvel Agents of Shield, Shadow Hunters (..it's actually become something better than a teeny-turd), Supernatural (a show that "jumped the shark" more than 8 seasons ago), The Magicians, The Gifted, Timeless, etc..

Jeopardy - pretty much always at dinner.

Battlebots.

Elementary, a bit slow recently.

Cloak and Dagger, "teeny" but well-done (production value) so far and somewhat interesting. (..not sure it's worth the time yet, but too soon to tell.)

Legion, to avant-garde this season: attempting a modern art exhibit spectacle on TV often comes off as obtuse, slow, and occasionally awkward.

Forged in Fire (still going this season.. just how many episodes are they doing now?)

The 100 (I'm recording this season, haven't started into it yet).

The Expanse (I'm recording, and still have the 2nd season to watch).

-most of it is SciFi or Fantasy. :oops:

I watch almost everything on a recorded basis to at least move through the ad's. Some shows I'll sort of skim until I see something interesting and some I'll watch while working.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:31 am

DancinJack wrote:

Doctor: Toss-up between Baker and Tennant
Companion: The one true companion, Sarah Jane Smith.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:22 am

CScottG wrote:
Forged in Fire (still going this season.. just how many episodes are they doing now?)

Wonderful show as well. No drama and let's the skill shine (literally sometimes!).

superjawes

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:35 am

DancinJack wrote:

11, who was my first Doctor, and the Ponds. (I'm also hoping for another multi-Doctor crossover where 12 can meet Amy.)

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:19 pm

superjawes wrote:
11, who was my first Doctor, and the Ponds. (I'm also hoping for another multi-Doctor crossover where 12 can meet Amy.)

She's my favourite too. I wish she could have hung with Tennant for his tenure.

stanlee1
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:52 am

I have just finished How to get away with murder. Love it! Looking forward to the new season in September. I am impressed with actors play, Viola Devis is a gorgeous woman, the interiors are great also, it's a pity that they changed the house, I really liked the dark place of Annalise, reminded me of this house for sale in France, probably they just couldn't use the villa anymore in the show and rewrote the scenario as if Annalise's house got burnt...

farmpuma
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:10 am

Still have two recorded episodes of Lucifer to watch, it conflicted with Super Girl. The first season of Lucifer had the best music I've ever heard on a TV series. And who wouldn't enjoy watching the devil trying to cope with the twists and turns of the mortal realm?

The past season of The Flash is on long term time shift. It conflicted with Lethal Weapon which I think is better than the Mel Gibson movies. Like Samuel L., Damon Wayans makes everything he has appeared in better, even when he's playing a straight man. And the Riggs character is more thoroughly explored.

This season the first three episodes of Elementary put me to sleep during the last ten minutes. I missed the fourth episode and woke-up during the last half of episode five, but could not put a finger on what had been putting me to sleep. It may be the often sleep deprived weekend time shift in my already very strange (to most people) sleep cycles or it might be the overly long commercial break.

There were a couple of short lived young lawyer shows that were pretty good. One was For the People and I don't remember the title of the other.

Currently enjoying Instinct and Reverie.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"