Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: What shows are you recently watching?

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:55 pm

Another vote for Dark Matter being good. It wasn't fantastic but it was good and was just getting really good when the final season ended. Huge shame SyFy ended it without giving it another chance.

Currently rewatching Deadwood again. Saw the Deadwood Movie last weekend and found it a satisfying but bittersweet finish to IMO the greatest TV show of all time. Also rewatching Babylon 5, a show IMO that's better than any one Star Trek series (I say this as a Star Trek fan). ALSO rewatching Battlestar Galactica for the first time since I watched it when it aired on TV. A simply incredible show, probably my number 2 of all time TV show. And I'm going through The Soprano's for the first time. It's very excellent, but I'm not sure I would peg it as the best show ever. Also just started S2 of Barry last night - good first episode. It'll take me all summer to finish all the shows I'm watching given my work schedule though, so though it may look like I'm a TV slob I'm definitely not.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:08 pm

Apropos of the day, TCM just started "The Longest Day" commercial-free.

Props to TCM. It's properly letterboxed for the original cinema aspect ratio.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:27 pm

general_tux wrote:
My wife and I just started watching "Good Omens" after this review and have found it pretty entertaining. It has been our break in the middle of rewatching "Stargate: SG1".

Good Omens was really good. The OA Season 2 was awesome. Nothing I hoped would happen in it, even remotely got close to happening. Fabulous TV. Just rewatched some Sherlock.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

pauldavis
Gerbil

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:36 am

DancinJack wrote:
Redocbew wrote:
Westworld. I got sucked in after signing up to watch game of thrones.

S2 is amazing (not that S1 isn't good, too).

Yup, Westworld is awesome can't wait for S3.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:52 pm

World Series of Poker Main Event is going on right now.

Also,

Battlebots.

Savage Builds (Adam Savage of Mythbusters fame) after Battlebots.. interesting, but not great - Youtube "Tested" is overall better.

farmpuma
Gold subscriber
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:12 am

Still watching waaay too much GRIT TV.

Found myself thinking of buying a pair of cowboy boots and maybe a horse!?

And kinda wishing I had not traded away my Ruger Single Six and western holster rig for a TC Contender with a 10" 357 BBL.

Preteen years listening to The Lone Ranger and Gunsmoke on the AM radio.

Recommended Movies - Two Rode Together, Cheyenne Social Club, Hondo, Hombre, and most any western with Randolph Scott or Audie Murphy or Errol Flynn
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

TechieZero
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:43 am

Never watched "Doctor Who", decided to give it a try.

superjawes

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:26 am

Stranger Things 3 gives you feelings. My only complaint-ish is that the story is getting more fractured, with more and more groups off doing their own thing, but it's still really good, and that's a direct result of the cast being excellent.

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone have Hulu? How is the Veronica Mars reboot/restart? And also, is that an option to watch Good Eats? I want something to keep up with that reboot next month.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

NeronetFi
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:43 am

I started watching "Legion" a couple month ago. I love that show and find it very entertaining.

I binged through the first season in 3 days and when I started watching season 2, I got in 3 episodes and decided I had to go back and rewatch Season 1 again for things I missed because I started getting lost. Then after I got through Season 1 and Season 2. I went back and rewatched Season 1 again and OMG. It was like an entirely different show because I saw things that I did not pick up on originally because I did not know about them until finishing Season 2.

Highly recommend.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:01 pm

NeronetFi wrote:
I started watching "Legion" a couple month ago. I love that show and find it very entertaining.

I binged through the first season in 3 days and when I started watching season 2, I got in 3 episodes and decided I had to go back and rewatch Season 1 again for things I missed because I started getting lost. Then after I got through Season 1 and Season 2. I went back and rewatched Season 1 again and OMG. It was like an entirely different show because I saw things that I did not pick up on originally because I did not know about them until finishing Season 2.

Highly recommend.

I really enjoyed the first season of Legion, the second started to drag for me towards the middle but then ended strong... season three has been awesome so far.

Others I've been watching recently...

Fear The Walking Dead - almost gave up on this one but last season kinda saved it, and this season has been the best so far. It's surpassed the original series in my opinion.
NOS4A2 - Based on the novel by Joe Hill, they're doing a really fine job with this one. Unique take on vampire story.
Stranger Things - binged the third season in a week; I kinda agree with what someone else here said, it felt too scattered... too many small groups and side plots. Still an awesome season.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:45 pm

The summer anime season is quite meh. If I were forced to recommend something, maybe Dr. Stone? Fate/Zero fans would enjoy El Melloi case files, but the Fate//series requires an encyclopedic understanding of its universe, so its really hard to get into. Nonetheless, El Melloi seems like the best this season. ("Fire Force" seems to be getting some amount of buzz, but I'm not super into Shonen-style shows anymore).

--------

While summer is meh, this year in Anime has been pretty good. "The Promised Neverland" is straight up one of the best shows (be it anime or non-anime) I've seen in years. Funimation has done a nearly-simultaneous dub of it, so you can watch it in English or Japanese (whatever your preference). If I were to make one solid-recommendation this year (or even in the past 3 years), "The Promised Neverland" is my best anime pick.

Attack on Titan has a solid fight scene for Season 3 Part 2. But the story was nonsensical from Season 3 Part 1... while things are finally coming together with some (much much needed) exposition episodes, I don't think the core story of Attack on Titan is very good. Attack on Titan remains one of the "culturally significant anime" of the modern era, with solid fight scenes and memorable characters. But I think there's a lot of other shows that have done its general story-arcs better.

Anime remains stuck in "Isekai" mode (aka: "Trapped in another world" genre), with Overlord, Log Horizon, Sword art online, Saga of Tanya the Evil, Re:Zero, That time I was reincarnated as a Slime. A lot of crap is out there, but I'll continue to push Overlord, That Time I was reincarnated as a Slime as the best of the genre. It seems like "Rising of a Shield Hero" was popular, but I didn't like it. Goblin Slayer is pure fantasy (no "Isekai" subplot), and got a controversial following. But I didn't like what I saw of that show either.

Ugghh... I'm becoming a hipster anime fan. Apparently, I don't like what is popular these days.

farmpuma
Gold subscriber
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:31 am

Caught my second episode (the second?) of Pandora on the CW. Feeling a bit of a Babylon 5 vibe.

Then The 100 put me to sleep about half way through. Too convoluted is too convoluted.

Shane Haumpton
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:58 am

credible wrote:
American Horror Story

I love American horror stories and funny thriller stories of Thailand.

NeronetFi
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:51 am

Just the ones that I am currently watching since this is their time of year to be on.

Legion (as mentioned earlier)
Krypton - only for Brainiac because Blake Ritson puts on one heck of a performance and IMO is the best Brainiac yet.
iZombie - on the final season
Killjoys - glad to see this show back :)

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:06 pm

The Dark Crystal miniseries on Netflix. I've never seen the original movie but I'm enjoying it so far... and passing my willpower check to not visit tvtropes.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:57 pm

Binging the expanse. After the 5th episode it picks up. Currently on s03E03. I’m hoping this arc wraps up this season.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:56 pm

I watched the DC Animated Comics movies: Death of Superman, Reign of the Supermen, and Batman: Hush, in the past few months.

I think Death of Superman is a great take on the original comic. There were significant changes from the comic: the movie uses "modern" Justice League members (Flash, Green Lanturn, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Martian Manhunter) instead of the more obscure 90s Justice League members ( Maxima, Blue Beetle, etc. etc.). Otherwise, it was pretty good. The movie ends with basically a trailer for Reign of the Supermen (the next chapter in the story). Unfortunately, Reign of the Supermen wasn't as good of a film.

Fortunately, Death of Superman is a fine arc in of itself, and doesn't really need the other movie to "complete" it. Only watch "Reign of the Supermen" if you can't stand the obvious "downer-ending" that the title of "Death of Superman" promises.

------

Batman: Hush wasn't as good as "Death of Superman", but it was actually a fun watch. "Hush" is a new villain to appear in Gotham, and is a master manipulator: pulling many familiar Batman villains into the scene (Bane, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, make appearances within the first 10 minutes, and many more villains pop up as the film continues).

The movie does sell Hush to be a great mastermind: manipulating other villains into fighting Batman, wearing Batman down over multiple fights (while Hush manages to avoid Batman's detection for a very long time). The best parts of the film was seeing the shear number of Batman villains appear, and there's a pretty good story for how Hush manages to get all of them to fight Batman. Bane, Catwoman, Poison Ivy and Hush themselves constitute less than half of the villains.

The later villains are: Followed up by Superman (!!), Harley Quinn, Joker, The Riddler, Clayface, Scarcrow from my memory. Its quite impressive that all of these characters play a role in the film.

The unfortunate thing is: while there were many great fight scenes and tense moments, the final Batman vs Hush finale was thoroughly mediocre and even predictable. Easily the worst fight of the film, with extremely predictable writing. The tension Hush was building up was completely lost in the final scenes... as Hush performs the greatest villainy downfall move ever: telling the main character a detailed explanation of your plan for no reason.

With that being said, Batman Hush was worth watching for pretty much the rest of the film. Everything except the ending was quite good and I think I can recommend it on that grounds alone.

EDIT: It seems like the parts I didn't like about the movie more or less line up to the parts where the movie diverged from the original writing.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:59 pm

Just finished binge watching The Boys... definitely a different take on the superhero genre. A lot funnier than I was expecting :D

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:10 pm

"How Heavy are the Dumbbells you Lift"

It's a trashy anime about cute girls lifting weights wearing very little. The gym form/advice is actually pretty on point

I will say the wrist injury was really bad....
but I'm ok now
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 5 2600X | RX 570 | 16 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 10

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:19 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote:
Anime remains stuck in "Isekai" mode (aka: "Trapped in another world" genre), with Overlord, Log Horizon, Sword art online, Saga of Tanya the Evil, Re:Zero, That time I was reincarnated as a Slime. A lot of crap is out there, but I'll continue to push Overlord, That Time I was reincarnated as a Slime as the best of the genre. It seems like "Rising of a Shield Hero" was popular, but I didn't like it. Goblin Slayer is pure fantasy (no "Isekai" subplot), and got a controversial following. But I didn't like what I saw of that show either.

Ugghh... I'm becoming a hipster anime fan. Apparently, I don't like what is popular these days.

its okay we'll always have our Serial Experiments Lain blurays

I generally am not an Isekai guy, but Slime-kun and Konosuba are some of my favourite stuff over the last half a decade or so, to the point I've picked up the light novels for them both (and Goblin Slayer - but I was never into Berserk so it feels more fresh to me)
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 5 2600X | RX 570 | 16 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 10

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:19 pm

pikaporeon wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:

its okay we'll always have our Serial Experiments Lain blurays

I generally am not an Isekai guy, but Slime-kun and Konosuba are some of my favourite stuff over the last half a decade or so, to the point I've picked up the light novels for them both (and Goblin Slayer - but I was never into Berserk so it feels more fresh to me)

Konosuba is also a good. Its kind of the "Deadpool" of Isekai anime. Where Deadpool makes fun of superhero movies (while making a pretty good core Superhero plot), Konosuba makes fun of Isekai (while having a good core Isekai plot).