Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Re: What shows are you recently watching?

Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:58 am

Girlfriend and I sat down to play some catch up on American Horror story last weekend. About 4 episodes into Cult we had to turn it off. The writing to me was just terrible. The way the police handled murder investigations was so unrealistic it was laughableand getting a busy signal when calling 911....Really!?!. There were just too many places where they tossed out realism and practicality to either trap victims in corners or to write themselves out of a corner. Once it became clear that the season was going to try and pass stabbing and violence off as "horror" we had enough. It was a real shame too because the premise of a cult that preys on individual's clinical psychoses is brilliant and had so many avenues they could have taken it. Deciding to make it about politics and then having the characters get overly stabby were to unnecessary and detrimental choices.

So after that we switched over and started watching Castle Rock on Hulu. So far the story and character development is top notch. This will probably be our next binge watch.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:23 am

Lets see...
Better call saul, runaways, 9-1-1, ncis, ncis new orleans,
oh and the wife is enjoyinh watch the office or whatever its called on netflix.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:55 am

I think it's called The Office on Netflix, too.

Finished Iron Fist season 2. It's amazing to me just how much Danny Rand wasn't in that show. Like, it was all about him but he was not the focus, which was interesting. Made it more watchable than Season 1 that way. I kinda liked it this time out. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

jmc2
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:15 pm

weta46 wrote:
Dicte
The Bridge
The Tunnel

"The Bridge" was fantastic and terrifying, Finally have all 4S on dvd.

I read that "The Tunnel" was the EXACT same story but in the British/French tunnel
so I have not tried to watch "The Tunnel".
Any reason to watch it now?

Oh, also the final S3 of Dicte is finally out! Have all now.

Thanks,
jmc2

jmc2
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:51 pm

kvndoom wrote:
Rewatching Seasons 1-4 of Orphan Black so it's all fresh in my mind before we watch it all comes to a close in S5. Go Team Sestra!

Then I'll subscribe to HBO long enough to watch S2 of Westworld.

Ok, POSSIBLE SPOILERS-----------------------------------------------------------

"Orphan Black" Disturbing and fascinating.
I was taken in by the horror of being a supervised lab rat and
being experimented on.
Plus the body modification theme creeped me out.

A female friend loved the Sestra relationships.
Helena... one scary bleep, Wonderful fantastic character.
Alison, "soccer mom", evolution of the marital relationship. Wow.
Cosima, situation so painful to watch.
And so much more!

Westworld, I did the free trial to watch that.
Fascinating but not watching it twice.
The time shifting kept throwing me off.
If it was big enough then it was obvious.
But a small one? A person in a different place...
A flash back or a separate "clone" of the person
somewhere else at the same time?? Not always sure.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:54 pm

jmc2 wrote:

Did you watch both seasons?

I for one love Westworld. I thought Season 1 was good at the time, but now it seems so shallow compared to Season 2. I will admit that my fantasy TV show is a combination of sci-fi and the wild wild west so Westworld is pretty much right up my alley.

Also, guys, come on. If you enjoy TV shows, support the networks that make them. Buy a sub for a while.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

jmc2
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48 pm

DancinJack wrote:
jmc2 wrote:

Did you watch both seasons?
I for one love Westworld. I thought Season 1 was good at the time, but now it seems so shallow compared to Season 2. I will admit that my fantasy TV show is a combination of sci-fi and the wild wild west so Westworld is pretty much right up my alley.
Also, guys, come on. If you enjoy TV shows, support the networks that make them. Buy a sub for a while.

WWorld S1 was NetFlix dvds. S2 - free trial.
Took me an embarrassing long time to even realize that time shifting was happening at ALL.
Heh, there was lot of "what"... "wait a minute"..."where am I?"
Also have a real problem dealing with psycho slasher elements. Don't watch those movies at all.

Agree that S2 was even more then S1.
Still a struggle to wrap my head around it all but I did a better job then with S1 (I think).
Definitely lots of emotional involvement for the people I cared about.
Have to admit that I skipped past the black hat psycho slasher character parts...can't deal with him.

Can't even imagine what comes next!

I support by buying the dvds, gotta have my hard copy. You can't trust steaming at all.
But there is the problem of some show seeming never coming out on dvd.
"Red Rock", "The Fosters", "Santa Clarita Diet" I would buy the dvds in a heartbeat if I could.

And I will and have bought a months sub to watch a series.
I buy a lot of episode 1s for $2 on Amazon just to check a series out.
Then if good enough buy a dvd.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:49 pm

Anovoca wrote:
Girlfriend and I sat down to play some catch up on American Horror story last weekend. About 4 episodes into Cult we had to turn it off. The writing to me was just terrible.

Coven was pretty good.

The latest (Apocalypse) has been little more than dark & lurid..with a stamp of the proto-typical Apocalypse scenario, UNTIL last week's episode (#3) - where it actually got interesting. I still have tonight's episode to watch, and if it's like #3 then it should be much better.

kolica
Gerbil In Training

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:25 am

Just watched Moonrise Kingdom last night and loved it.
Education kills faith dead. It's like bug spray for Christianity. (Dusty Smith, Atheist)

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:40 am

I've binge-watched the first two seasons of The Expanse in the last couple of weeks.

I have a soft spot for sci-fi in general, but The Expanse seems more promising than any other sci-fi I've seen in seen in maybe 10 years. I'm just glad that Amazon picked it up where SciFy left off.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:50 am

I'm a big Anime fan, and I'm actually liking the Isekai genre overall. (The "Trapped in a parallel world" genre, which has become super popular in anime recently. And its generally implied that these "parallel worlds" are video games)

"Overlord" is probably the biggest anime I'm into right now: As an Isekai, the main character is trapped in a video game. Except he's the villain. "Lord Momunga" played a bad-guy when he was playing in an MMORPG, and now he's stuck in the body of his character: an undead lich in charge of an entire dungeon of devils and demons. For the most part, it sounds like the main character prefers to do good, but his minions expect him to be taking over the world, so he's had to do some morally wrong things for the betterment of his dungeon. A good anti-hero story overall, especially because they imply that his minions are smarter than him. You've got your standard "overpowered main character", but the show does a good job at mentioning that real threats exist around the world (even if those high-level threats haven't made a move yet).

Overlord Season 3 finished up in September though, so I've been looking at new anime. Cells at Work is an online meme, but its actually amusing. It is a cute rendition of the human body. The main character is a delivery-girl (aka a Red Blood Cell), who constantly runs into trouble. Fortunately, a White-blood cell (Neutrophil unit U-1146) manages to run into her whenever there's trouble, and they fight off bad guys (ie: bacteria or viruses).

I guess the show that has most promise for me right now is another Isekai called "That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime". Basically, main character dies, gets reborn into a video-game world as a blind slime monster. The story quickly goes into typical "overpowered main character" fashion, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:30 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
I've binge-watched the first two seasons of The Expanse in the last couple of weeks.

I have a soft spot for sci-fi in general, but The Expanse seems more promising than any other sci-fi I've seen in seen in maybe 10 years. I'm just glad that Amazon picked it up where SciFy left off.

I've watched a couple of episodes so far. Trying to reduce our screen time in the house overall. I might watch some here and there.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:28 pm

If you like sci-fi, then The Expanse is a show that should make the cut, in my opinion. It's pretty badass.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:45 pm

I'm really struggling with The Expanse. I finally finished Season 1, but it's just not "grabbing" me yet. I fell asleep during most of the episodes and had to go back and watch again. I'm only on episade 2 of Season 2 and hoping it gets much better for me. Other than Chrisjen Avasarala (Shohreh Aghdashloo), I really like the actors and their characters.

Am I missing something?
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:50 pm

Season 1 hooked me, but it does get a lot more interesting in season 2 when you meet Bobbie Draper and you learn more about the "proto-molecule"(an unfortunate name, but a cool idea).
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:51 pm

I don't know anyone, literally anyone, that doesn't like the Expanse. It's really great.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:07 pm

RickyTick wrote:
I'm really struggling with The Expanse.
Other than Chrisjen Avasarala (Shohreh Aghdashloo), I really like the actors and their characters.

TWO STRIKES. WATCH YOURSELF RICK.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:29 pm

:lol:

I haven't read the books, but from what I've heard Avasarala might be the character they had to reign in most in order to make the show fit for network TV. That was one point that kept coming up once Amazon picked up the show.

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:59 pm

DancinJack wrote:
RickyTick wrote:
I'm really struggling with The Expanse.
Other than Chrisjen Avasarala (Shohreh Aghdashloo), I really like the actors and their characters.

TWO STRIKES. WATCH YOURSELF RICK.

Sorry Jack. :wink:

I'll keep watching and maybe it'll all come together.
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:33 pm

Finished watching American Gods first season, great novel adaptation!! can't wait for the second season

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:42 pm

So, to actually add something to the thread. Killing Eve owns pretty hard. Jodie Comer is amazing in her role. Also been watching new Doctor Who. It's just starting so I'm not sure yet, but it's definitely a departure from the past. Hopefully it edges back into regular Who territory. I do love Jodie Whitaker though.

Looking forward to: Daredevil (S3), Making a Murderer (S2), The Man In The High Castle (S3), Star Trek Discovery (S2 in Jan 2019).

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:06 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Also been watching new Doctor Who. It's just starting so I'm not sure yet, but it's definitely a departure from the past. Hopefully it edges back into regular Who territory. I do love Jodie Whitaker though.

Watched the first episode a couple days ago. Not sold. As my wife said, it felt more X-Files than Dr. Who. Very strange.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
Also been watching new Doctor Who. It's just starting so I'm not sure yet, but it's definitely a departure from the past. Hopefully it edges back into regular Who territory. I do love Jodie Whitaker though.

Watched the first episode a couple days ago. Not sold. As my wife said, it felt more X-Files than Dr. Who. Very strange.

Yeah, it's very different thus far. Ep 2 felt just as weird. I wouldn't go so far as to say X-Files, but it definitely doesn't FEEL like Doctor Who. I've heard Ep3 should be more of a return to seasons past. We'll see.

trackerben

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:45 am

Enjoying 'The Man in the High Castle's" Projekt 701 story arc. To be Lebensborn and hip in the American Reich...

farmpuma
Gold subscriber
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:52 am

Auto Exotica had the Audi R8 and the McLaren 570S! They thought both were quite good commuter super cars. And they all had ear to ear grins.

Disappointed in God friended me. Sadly, it's mostly Touched by an Angel with social media.

Jury is still out on Charmed. One full episode and change, too much teenage angst and wannabe horror story.

Looking forward to the return of Midnight Texas!

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:24 am

I liked Sons of Anarchy, but Mayans is falling a little short too me. I thought Edward James Olmos would carry the show, but he's almost insignificant so far. I think it would help if there wasn't so many subtitles.

farmpuma
Gold subscriber
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

The Orville's back!

Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:04 pm

The Orville's back, Yay! Tonight at 8:02 PM EST (unless delayed by footieball) on Fox. Sorry for such short notice.

Also enjoying the return of Midnight Texas, "It's always something." And surprisingly enjoying The Rookie with Nathan Fillion. Yeah, I blew it off, just another cop show with Nathan Fillion. Then I enjoyed watching a few episodes and noticed it's produced by Nathan Fillion!

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:54 pm

Just rewatched The Expanse. It's probably the best show not enough people are watching. So freakin' good.

wheymistassini
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:20 am

Catching up on Game of Thrones before the final season arrives in April. I think I prefer the later series, with less political blah blah and more action :) Looking forward to the epic showdown with the Whitewalkers.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:06 pm

I just started watching Grimm on Prime and Lucifer on Netflix. I recommend Strong Girl Bong Soon on Netflix. Its an odd mixture of anime like cinematography and superhero soap opera.

Favorite Doctor: Tom Baker
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro