Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: What shows are you recently watching?

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:07 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
I just started watching Grimm on Prime and Lucifer on Netflix.

We are big Grimm fans since it started season 1. Very creative.
My wife watches Lucifer. It’s a little too soap-opera for me.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:54 pm

I recently finished The Tunnel which is based on the Scandinavian series The Bridge (at least in English that's what it's called) and I quite liked it. I opted for the UK/France adaptation because I knew the actors, but also English/French are a lot easier for me than Danish/Swedish.

Worth a watch IMO. FYI - there was also an "American" adaptation, but I'm not sure how Diane Kruger (and her heavy German accent) ended up on the TX/Mexico border so I haven't got to watching this one yet. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2406376/
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:24 pm

Late to the party as always but I've just sated my sci-fi cravings by watching:

• Dark Matter which is a great ride but was CANCELLED on a cliffhanger :(
  • Altered Carbon which is definitely worth a watch.

I'm also watching Breaking Bad at last. I feel that I've left it long enough already....
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:26 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Late to the party as always but I've just sated my sci-fi cravings by watching:

• Dark Matter which is a great ride but was CANCELLED on a cliffhanger :(
  • Altered Carbon which is definitely worth a watch.

I'm also watching Breaking Bad at last. I feel that I've left it long enough already....

Hell yeah. I liked Dark Matter and Altered Carbon quite a bit. Breaking Bad is Breaking Bad. I liked it, but I think people hyped it far, far too much and thought it was much better than it really was.

I'm a bit worried about Altered Carbon S2. I know some of the cast has changed and it might take some time getting used to.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

liquid_mage
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:36 pm

I also liked Altered Carbon and Dark Matter quite a bit.

Currently I'm watching:
Justified, started it a few years back and I want to finish the series.
Dare Devil Season 3, just finished it, it was okay not great.
Homestead Rescue, these people buy this remote property and have no idea what they are getting into, amazing stuff.
Lucifer, I watched a few episodes and will probably get back into it when i'm finished with Justified.
Intel I7-4770K@4ghz, MSI Z87-G45, 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2400, Gigabyte Geforce 2080 , Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + 1TB WD Black, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:07 pm

Angie tribeca

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:03 pm

Yeah, Dark Matter was great. Bummer that it's gone.

Melissa (#2 Dark Matter) moved-on to do a minor role on Condor, and is now on The Rookie.

The Rookie is a pretty good show. I'm not into general "cop" shows, but I really like this one - the writing is quite good with enough humor (it's not a "gritty drama"). Speaking of "cop" shows (more of an action-comedy than a "cop" show), Lethal Weapon really is vastly better than before, enough that I actually watch it before The Rookie now.. sort of a "brain softener" before The Rookie. :lol:

Tonight I'll be trying-out The Passage along with the next episode of The Gifted (..and probably start it off with The Flash).

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:12 pm

DancinJack wrote:

Worth a watch IMO. FYI - there was also an "American" adaptation, but I'm not sure how Diane Kruger (and her heavy German accent) ended up on the TX/Mexico border so I haven't got to watching this one yet. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2406376/

The Bridge was pretty good, but very dark. It lost some of the better writing and cinematography after the 1st season, not unlike The Strain.

Diane was great btw. (..though I kept comparing her to Monk with their casting choice for the Captain.)

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:02 am

CScottG wrote:

..Tonight I'll be trying-out The Passage along with the next episode of The Gifted (..and probably start it off with The Flash).

Well, The Passage wasn't bad, but not great. Instead of The Gifted and The Flash I watched the new remake of Roswell and Deadly Class. Roswell was mediocre at best, but Deadly Class.. well they pretty much had me hooked when they started playing Depeche Mode.

If you hadn't considered it, try-out Deadly Class. :wink:

farmpuma
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:28 am

Tonight's episode of The Orville was excellent. I've been a Billy Joel fan since waaaaaay back when.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .Good gun control is hitting your target and only your target.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:43 am

The third season of The Grand Tour has started on Amazon Prime.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2410, RK-9000BR, MX518

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:50 pm

The Flash - the first few episodes this season were good but the last few they've been growing kinda stale... might end up dropping this one if it doesn't improve soon. These folks should pray that Tom Cavanagh never decides to leave - he's the one thing keeping the show together in my opinion.

The Gifted - same problem as The Flash... it's becoming less a comic book show and more a soap opera starring comic book characters.

The Passage - pilot episode was pretty good, am curious to see how it goes.

The Orville - the most recent episode saved this series on my DVR list... first few episodes this season were weak. Same problem as last season, only more so - they don't seem able to decide if they're writing a comedy or a drama, so it's something in-between that isn't doing either of those things as well as it could.

Sucks that Dark Matter is cancelled - I really liked that show. Especially sucks that it ended on a cliffhanger.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:13 pm

far far far far far far too many "comic book" shows on TV these days.

Probably going to watch some Taboo (linky) this weekend.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:36 pm

I just watched this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAAnUqhKWZI

Anime girls crewing WWII armored fighting vehicles, because of course that's a thing.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:43 am

Just started re-watching The Shield(since I got it on Blu-ray from Amazon.)

The blu-rays are so much higher quality than the DVD version of the series I had back in the day.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:41 am

Along with Deadly Class, The Magician's 3rd season is going rather nicely (..plot-progression is a bit faster than I think it should have been, but that's me).

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:12 am

True Detective season 3 is seeming very good so far. In case anyone is unaware, each season is a new cast and a completely new story, so you can jump in without seeing the previous seasons (though I'd recommend season 1, just because it's excellent).

farmpuma
Gold subscriber
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:57 am

Legends of Airpower - I have yet to view a bad one.

elcoldtown
Gerbil In Training

Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:01 pm

Cougar Town. Probably a guilty pleasure but I like that it's so light-hearted, I've never seen anything with such a sunny mood in my life.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:11 pm

-holy cr@p! :o

This last episode of Deadly Class was quite possibly the most violent thing I've seen on a series-show..

dragontamer5788
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:55 pm

bthylafh wrote:
I just watched this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAAnUqhKWZI

Anime girls crewing WWII armored fighting vehicles, because of course that's a thing.

Its difficult to fully get the humor of this show unless you've seen a lot of "moe" anime. Which is basically the genre of "cute girls doing cute things". Girls und Panzer is basically a moe show, except they threw tanks into the mix to make everything funnier. I've shown this to a lot of non-anime friends and they just don't get the humor of the show at all.

I guess, I'd recommend the show if you are in the very small intersection of people who:

1. Like moe anime. Roughly the genre of clumsy girls doing clumsy things to be cute and funny.

2. Like tanks (the girls learn a lot about tank formations and techniques). Its actually quite in depth... the main characters drive a Panzer IV and they carefully follow the historical crew positions for the Panzer IV: commander, gunner, loader, driver, radio operator. A good chunk of the first few episodes is dedicated to the characters studying their roles and practicing it. Other tanks in the show are close to historically accurate as well (the Type 89 crew is a group of 4 girls). There are a few mistakes here and there, but overall the show is damn close to reality. Only the most studied of historical tank experts will probably notice any mistakes at all, and would probably be more wow'd by the shear number of things they got correct in the show.

A lot of the show is a very dry sense of humor. There are no laugh-tracks or characters pointing out jokes. Minor spoilers for one joke... the entire school is on an aircraft carrier.

A really, really, really big aircraft carrier. You eventually learn that their school battles take place when rival schools dock their aircraft carriers together.

Overall, the show has a lot of charm, wit, and an obsessive attention to tank details. But unfortunately, it wasn't my cup of tea.

Why not? Its because... this is still a moe anime. A moe that pushes the genre in a ridiculous direction, but a moe nonetheless, and I've always just... haven't enjoyed that genre. Nothing against moe, its just something I personally don't enjoy very much (despite otherwise being a pretty hardcore anime fan). K-On, Kemono Friends, Girls und Panzer... these are all moe shows that the anime-community loves but I just never really personally appreciated.

With that being said, I think I can see why other anime fans like this show. I do respect the show, but I couldn't watch more than 4 episodes before giving up.

farmpuma
Gold subscriber

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:43 am

Was glad to see For the People return to ABC Thursday at ten ET. Last week was very good, but this week I took a gap/nap in the middle.

Things I wish I could see -

Tim Burton's version of Dumbo and American Gods on Stars

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:59 am

I'm catching up with Brooklyn Nine-nine, that show is gold - a bit like Scrubs was, and BBC's Coupling.

I can also recommend a three-hour binge-watch of Netflix's recent Love, Death, & Robots; It's an anthology of short stories that is a mix of amazing and okay episodes in 5-15 minute chunks. Even the weaker episodes are at least interesting.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 04, 2019 11:29 pm

Westworld. I got sucked in after signing up to watch game of thrones.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 05, 2019 10:30 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
..BBC's Coupling.

That show is gold.

Sally Harper (Kate Isitt) talking to Susan Walker (Sarah Alexander) and referencing Patrick Maitland (Ben Miles):

"I always wanted a tripod!" :lol:

Started into:

A Discovery of Witches - movie-like production values, more than a little to heavy on the romance side of things with fairly weak secondary monsters (apparently from the "All Souls" book series). Any number of better fantasy series could have been put into a good video series. Along with the production, actors are excellent - just a weak/generic story-line and "world".

iZombie (sadly last season - so Liv it up while you can!)

The 100 (..to see if they can f-up another planet!)

BTW, all leading ladies in the 3 shows - 2 from Australia (*Teresa Palmer and Eliza Taylor) and one from New Zealand (Rose McIver).

*somewhat surprised to see Teresa Palmer in a non-movie.. BUT given the production values and casting for the series, it sort of is a movie.

MichaelJD
Gerbil

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:22 pm

I'm a big fan of Hawai Five-O

Probably the hottest thing on my screen right now.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:25 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Westworld. I got sucked in after signing up to watch game of thrones.

S2 is amazing (not that S1 isn't good, too).

farmpuma
Gold subscriber

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:50 am

The local ABC affiliate recently added five channels. The Justice channel and Court TV were both immediately blocked from my active list.

My favorite channel is GRIT. I'm currently addicted to Laramie and Death Valley Days. They have also shown a ton of really outstanding movies including a John Wayne marathon on his birthday. The MeTV channel gets honorable mention for nightly Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock presents, plus Wonder Woman and the original Star Trek on Saturday night.

general_tux
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:58 am

My wife and I just started watching "Good Omens" after this review and have found it pretty entertaining. It has been our break in the middle of rewatching "Stargate: SG1".
Main: Intel i7-5775C w/ Noctua NH-D14, single fan | Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | GSkill DDR3-1866, 32GB | Corsair Pro 750W Gold
HTPC: AMD A10-7850K | ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ | GSkill DDR3-2400, 8GB | Silverstone SFX 450W

freebird
Gerbil

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:14 pm

Archer 1999, not as good as previous seasons...

Daily: AMD's stock ticker; it is Ryzen nearly every day, but I like that re-run.