Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

farmpuma
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Re: What shows are you recently watching?

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:57 am

I was sad to see Instinct not listed on the CBS Sunday night lineup. Perhaps it was a one time thing or perhaps the CBS Sunday night audience is unable to cope with a who-done-it lead character who is in your face gay in a tasteful and loving way played by Alan Cumming? Or perhaps it's just the end of the pilot thirteen episode season?

I was glad to see the return of Living Biblically. An often amusing comedy about a writer who has a religious epiphany and decides to live his life by the word of the good book, much to the dismay of his long suffering wife. Two of his drinking buddies are a catholic priest and a rabbi, played by actors you will probably know. And Camryn Manheim plays his gruff Lou Grant style editor.

And for those of us who enjoy absurd comedy, Trial & Error returns tonight on NBC, although strangely my On TV Tonight guide doesn't list it? This season is entitled Lady Killer and stars Kristin Chenoweth. In season one a newly minted New York lawyer is sent to a tiny southern town by his firm and ends up staying to defend an eccentric poetry professor accused of strangely murdering his wife. Each week a new clue is discovered which at first helps but ends up making him look more guilty. Twists and stereotypes abound.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .Good gun control is hitting your target and only your target.

LocalCitizen
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:04 pm

the season finale of Instinct was episode 13 on july 1st. it is renewed for the second season. dunno when it will start tho

i found the second half of lucifer season 3 to be very slow and boring. i guess i was not alone. it was a good, fun, entertaining show up to that point.

currently watching Reverie on wednesday nights

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:04 pm

-imo the only substantive thing that Reverie has going for it is the off-season: just not much competition. (..non-substantive are the actors; love Sarah.)

Instinct was utterly bland imo; two-shows in and the only thing I liked was the leading character's wardrobe change.

"Take two" (an inverted "Castle") is another one on the bleeding-edge of bland.

World Series of Poker Main Event.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:25 pm

My wife and I were in the test audience for Reverie's concept awhile back. The idea was pretty clever, but we haven't watched any of the episodes to see what they did with it. Both of us were on the fence with the good potential but pessimistic whether they would take the psychology of it and run with it or turn it into another major-network drama.

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:28 pm

I've really struggled with Fear the Walking Dead this season. I feel lost in the dual timelines. Anyone else?
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:42 pm

I think bringing in so many new characters was kind of an admission that the show wasn't doing so great previously. It seemed like bringing Lennie James into the cast helped a lot with that.

I cut the cord about a month ago, and Fear didn't make the cut for me as a show I'd go out of my way to keep watching, so I guess I'll wait to see if it shows up somewhere I can stream it.

I just finished watching Season 3 of The Expanse, and I'm so glad Amazon picked it up. Can't wait to see where things go in Season 4.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

LaVitaEBella
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:59 pm

Still waiting for the next episode of Fear the Walking Dead, I am not happy with how the flow of the series goes.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:15 pm

Redocbew wrote:
I just finished watching Season 3 of The Expanse, and I'm so glad Amazon picked it up. Can't wait to see where things go in Season 4.

I knew I didn't hate you for a reason! [/s] But yeah, The Expanse owns so hard. It's a really good time for space epics with The Expanse and the new Trek. Both have been really good thus far.

Just started Sharp Objects on HBO (first ep last night) and it's good enough I'll watch next week. Amy Adams is attractive, too, so that doesn't hurt.

i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:49 pm

DancinJack wrote:
I knew I didn't hate you for a reason! [/s] But yeah, The Expanse owns so hard. It's a really good time for space epics with The Expanse and the new Trek. Both have been really good thus far.

Yeah, I've been a sci-fi geek forever, and it seems like it's been a very long time since a show like The Expanse has been around. So much awesome in that show. I wasn't at all surprised at how people lost their minds when SyFy cancelled it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

farmpuma
Gold subscriber
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:22 am

That sounds great! Maybe it will come out on DVD one day?

Mean while in broadcast TV land - Just finished three weekends of double golf coverage, first was the Open Championship on from 7:00AM to 2:00PM and regular PGA from 3:00PM to 6:00PM, second was the senior Open Championship from 11:00AM to 2:00PM plus regular PGA, and third was the Women's Open Championship (love to watch the ladies play) from 11:00AM to 2:00PM plus regular PGA. As a bonus Fox has been running NHRA nationals coverage from 4:00PM to 7:00PM on all three Sundays! They are taking a week off, but will be back for at least one more in two weeks. Fast zero to sixty times are cool, but zero to 300+ in four seconds or less never gets old.

Been running into a three show log jam on Sundays at 7:00PM with Sixty Minutes on CBS (usually at least one OK segment), Legends of Airpower (half hour) on PBS, and One Strange Rock (a Nat. Geo. replay) on Fox. Earlier on Sundays (noonish +/-) PBS is running Firing Line with Margaret Hoover. She is aiming to take over where William F. left off and seems to be pretty good at it, plus she is much easier on the eyes than wild Bill. I watched the first one with Paul Ryan plus bits and pieces of the last three weeks.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:48 am

Jessica Jones was beyond awesome. TBH, I hated the lead actress whenever I saw her in anything on screen before coz she just seemed like this huge whiny thing but as Jessica Jones, she rocks! But it's not just her. Every character on that show is so well-acted and has their own unique flaws that make them a treat to watch. Can't wait for Season 3!

Stranger things was superb. Can't believe I would love a show with kids and teens in it but I guess life has a way of surprising us when we least expect it.

First season of Outlander was great. Kinda lost interest after the second season.

Altered Carbon is a treat to watch in HDR.

And now for some oldies:

Ally McBeal, while overly silly, does have some really good episodes.

ALF is hilarious!

kvndoom
Silver subscriber

Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:54 am

Rewatching Seasons 1-4 of Orphan Black so it's all fresh in my mind before we watch it all comes to a close in S5. Go Team Sestra!

Then I'll subscribe to HBO long enough to watch S2 of Westworld.

Recently I just finished The Wire in all its entirety. It's pretty hard to disagree with the many who call it the best show of all time. It was rarely pleasant to watch, but it was so... necessary.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

oliv88
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:08 am

Watching This Is Us by NBC, at Season 2 episode 3. This is Us is the must watch show that I would recommend. Although I am a bit tough from the inside, but yes this show made me cry. Just loved it.

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:55 am

Started watching Archer.

(I have season 1 to 6 on blu-ray,and season 7 thru 9 on Amazon Prime instant video).

One of the funniest shows(with the most beautiful blu-ray image quality) I've seen in a long time.

weta46
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:34 am

Fortitude
The Bridge
Lucky Man
Dicte
The Tunnel
800 Words

farmpuma
Gold subscriber

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:58 am

Caught a new (to me) show on my PBS national feed last evening, Sunday night at 7:00PM. It was called Auto Exotica and was three people doing driving reviews of borrowed cars. The half hour episode was divided into two segments. In each segment each reviewer was driving a different model year of a Datsun/Nissan Z car borrowed from the Datsun/Nissan museum. All three reviewers had owned a Datsun/Nissan Z car at some time in their life.

Today (Memorial Day) on Fox from 1:00PM to 4:00PM EDT we have the fourth NHRA National Drag Racing Championship of this year and on NBC from 1:30PM until probably 6:00PM EDT we have the final round of the field of 100 tournament of The FedEx Cup.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:18 am

kvndoom wrote:
Recently I just finished The Wire in all its entirety. It's pretty hard to disagree with the many who call it the best show of all time. It was rarely pleasant to watch, but it was so... necessary.

Necessary is absolutely right. That show is just...amazing. David Simon and his experiences shape it so well, and the acting is great, and it's just a super amazing piece of cinema. I'm one of the many that consider it the best TV show of all time. I watched it while it aired on HBO, but was kinda young to appreciate a lot of what is going on in that show. I have since rewatched it multiple times (with subtitles,even! seriously they help a lot) and have picked up so many things I missed a previous time around.

For instance, used to hate Season 2 (like many others) when I first viewed it. Now? Love it. Ziggy is always and forever awful, but that season has so much good stuff I didn't realize upon its premiere.

As for recently I have been watching Line of Duty (BBC). I love British television. I think a lot of it is easily better than the trash that gets on TV here in America. /shrug
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

EdisonStarfire
Gerbil In Training

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:48 pm

I'm going to have to check out The Wire if i can find it.
Orphan Black was great.
I really liked The Strain.
The Americans was really good imo
Recently it's The Blacklist
Supernatural
NCIS which I'm losing interest in
The Flash and The Arrow have worn me out.... i quit.
The Walking Dead.... ehhhhh... yeah I'm still here.
Fear The Walking Dead... finally good this season.
Agents of Shield. Up and Down but still here
Colony - still enjoying.
I'm sure I'm leaving out a couple
All time favorites ... X Files and Battlestar Galaxtica the reimagines series that i expected to hate.
No reality shows of any kind unless there is some scenic or educational value to be gleaned here and there....
Recent arrivals....
Six
Condor

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:55 pm

That's....a lot of TV.

and fwiw, you can watch The Wire on Amazon Prime Video if you have a Prime subscription.

Dagwood
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:28 pm

Battle Bots
American Nija Warrior

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:46 pm

i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2410, RK-9000BR, MX518

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:29 am

Some of the best series i have recently watched.

Dark (Must watch for people who love time travel thriller)
Stranger Things
Ghoul (Indian series but its available in English and its excellent)
Sacred Games (again its an Indian series but its available in English)
Altered Carbon
Punisher
Lost in Space
Star Trek Discovery
Luke Cage
Gotham

farmpuma
Gold subscriber

Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:05 am

Auto Exotica ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8567856/ ) was all about new Mustangs this past Sunday. They had an econo-boost turbo four, a 5.0 with all the creature comforts, and a Shelby GT350. All three were six speed sticks. The Shelby looked and sounded like a worthy beast.

Tonight (Tuesday) PBS had a Frontline episode entitled Left Behind America that showed a different perspective on El Presidente's, "The Economy is BOOOMING."

farmpuma
Gold subscriber

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:29 am

Sunday afternoon highlights were two shows about opposites. First was an interview with conservative columnist Mona Charen on To the Contrary with Bonnie Erbe. Ms. Charen made some very good points. Second was Neil de Grasse Tyson talking about his latest book, Accessory to War (the unspoken alliance between astrophysics and the military) and science in general on Firing Line with Margret Hoover. I found both to be quite good.

Sunday evening featured the Auto Exotica crew driving the last hurrah of the Dodge Viper line, the Viper ACR. They said it broke the (club racer?) lap time record at thirteen U.S. road courses. They also drove the latest Nissan GTR and the 2016 Nissan GTR Nismo.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:55 am

Watched the first episode of "first" on Hulu. Overall had great potential (I'm as sucker for anything aerospace), but was very drama-ey for me. I'll give a second episode a shot, but I hope they get more technical and less character development. I also feel like they are trying too hard to be artistic

trackerben

Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:34 pm

Began watching Bodyguard last night and finished all 6 episodes within a day or two.

The plot was a bit contrived - there's a Trump-alike villain and weird behaviors by security professionals - but the issues of mass surveillance/jihadist social penetration were covered with more smarts and less PC than usual. IED scenes were excruciating, especially the finale's EOD slow dance, but mostly believable.
Last edited by trackerben on Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:50 pm

trackerben wrote:
Began watching Bodyguard last night and finished all 6 episodes within a day or two.

The plot was a bit contrived - there's a Trump-alike villain and weird behaviors by security professionals - but the issues of mass surveillance/jihadist social penetration were covered with more smarts and less PC than usual. IED scenes were excruciating, especially the finale's EOD slow dance, but mostly believable.

lol ben's take and infusion of his views on everything is very funny, still.

trackerben

Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:13 pm

Security theater, gun control, and spy society make for a fascinating mix.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:32 am

I just finished with the re-boot of the Fox series: Lethal Weapon.

-it's definitely better. (I watched 2 episodes of the first season and dropped it fast.)

Not only is Sean Scott vastly better as a "Rig's-type" character, but the writing seems a fair bit better as well. It's still "C" grade fair, but for the most part it moves quickly and the funny bits are pretty well done. Damon Waynes (as Murtaugh) still doesn't have the "gravitas" of Danny Glover, nor seems to have writing providing that "worn-out" character - but (other than the whiny voice) isn't bad. (..of course I can't see him in anything but a "onesie" whining: "I'm a crime fighter!")

Also tried: FBI & New Amsterdam. Both started off with a "bang" (..literally in the case of FBI), but really "fizzled-out" toward the end. FBI feels staged/contrived: trying to compress to much into an hour (made worse by the final scenes after the last commercial break trying to put some thought-provoking spin on the episode). (..Lethal Weapon does the "compression" thing as well, but considering the material - it's not so bad.) New Amsterdam has a promising "hook" - but at least a 3rd of the premier was "yawn". (..makes me wish Tyler Labine was still doing episodes of *Reaper, not some weak-sauce shrink.)

*I loved the shear stupidity of Reaper (one of many shows I wished still existed).

The Gifted seems good again. THAT's a show I have no problem recommending.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:08 am

Finished "The First" on Hulu. I didn't like the first episode, namely because I loath Sean Penn (not the acting) and it moved really slow. But I'm a sucker for anything aerospace, so I ended up watching the rest of the season over a couple nights of binge-watching after the kids had gone to bed. I ended up really enjoying it. It digs deep into the personal toll that astronauts make in choosing their dangerous careers and the work/life balance. That is something that I don't think gets enough visibility in general TV/Movies. The science in the show was ok; seeing the SLS fly is probably the closest it'll ever come to the real thing :lol: