Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

RIP Dezi

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:44 pm

Very sad news today... we lost our beloved Dezi, a Shiba Inu. She dug her way under the back yard fence, and was hit by a car a couple of blocks from our house.

She was a rescue; we got her when she was nearly a year old. She was rather stand-offish at first (it took her several months to warm up to me), but once she really got to know you she was as sweet as could possibly be.

She had a favorite chair that she liked to sit on during the day (when she wasn't outside), and which she always slept underneath at night. During warmer weather she had a favorite bush out in the yard that she would doze under, or she would just sprawl out in the corner of the yard in the sun. Whenever someone she knew came to the house, she'd stand up on her hind legs and do a little dance of joy. A couple of years ago when I had gout, she knew... every morning when I came downstairs she would kiss my feet, right where they hurt the most. When my wife was recovering from surgery and spent most of the day laying on the living room couch, Dezi kept watch by her side.

The last time I saw her alive this morning she was chasing her tail and excitedly doing laps around the yard. She loved being outside, and it was as if she was saying "Hooray, I think it's going to be above freezing today!" Shortly thereafter she was gone from the yard. I guess the nice(er) weather was just too enticing, and she decided to go on a little adventure.

At least she died having fun, and I think the end came quickly so she didn't suffer long.

Even though getting a dog was my wife's idea (I didn't want one at first), there's a hole in my heart a mile wide today. Damnit, I loved that beautiful, headstrong, sweetheart of a dog.

Goodbye, Dezi.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Re: RIP Dezi

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:47 pm

Damn, I'm sorry to hear about that. I've been watching an anime about a shiba inu (http://www.crunchyroll.com/lovely-muuuuuuuco) so this makes me even sadder to hear.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:51 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Even though getting a dog was my wife's idea (I didn't want one at first), there's a hole in my heart a mile wide today. Damnit, I loved that beautiful, headstrong, sweetheart of a dog.

Condolences all around. I've buried enough pets to know that it's hard every time. We let them into our lives to lift our hearts, so it's only natural that our hearts fall when they pass.

Later this evening a single-malt will have a special toast.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

liquid_mage
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:01 pm

Sorry for your loss.

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:59 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Goodbye, Dezi.
Sorry, man. Nothing comforting comes easily. I often try to be a realist when the pain tries to go too deep, but that usually just pisses people off. :oops: I did toast an extra Jack-n-Water (in a new red plastic 16oz cup) while remembering that All dogs go to Heaven.

Edit: Sorry.
Last edited by MarkG509 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toki
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:15 pm

I am sorry to hear of your loss. The only dog we ever had was a rescue. I didn't want her at first either, but she grew on me. She was the sweetest, most loyal animal I think we ever had. Towards the end of her life she got a tumor and continuously bled from her nose and it broke my heart to see her that way and the way she would look at me with nothing but love and not even notice the blood coming down. I stayed by her side as much as I could towards the end to try and give her as much companionship as I could, then one day she was bitten by a snake the vet said and she died. That was a sad day. It will get better though, just have to give it some time.

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:21 pm

Sorry to hear that. One of these days, maybe I'll get a rescue dog of my own to join me.
Last edited by localhostrulez on Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:35 pm

Sorry to hear that, JBI. I'm sure she was having a blast right up to the end. All the best to you and your family as you try to fill the emotional hole Dezi leaves behind, along with the one in your backyard.

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:46 pm

(deleted)
Last edited by MarkG509 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:53 pm

Please let's not turn this thread into a debate of the merits (or lack thereof) of pit bulls. Thank you.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:54 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Please let's not turn this thread into a debate of the merits (or lack thereof) of pit bulls. Thank you.

Agreed.

JBI: I've got this one.

layerup
Gerbil

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:38 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss JBI, to lose your dog so suddenly is not an easy pill to swallow.

I think the big thing to take away from the whole relationship is what you did for Dezi. Obviously, you provided her with a great home and an incredible family, you brought in a timid and stand-offish dog and provided her a loving place to develop into a great companion. At the end of the day, very few animals are allowed that life, and just the fact you chose to offer that opportunity to a rescue speaks volumes.

Rather than dwelling on what happened, think about the time you spent with her, your shared experiences. She probably changed you, made you more patient, and turned you into a better person, not only did you provide for her, but she helped develop you into a more well rounded individual.

What happened sucks, no other way around it, but instead, think about how she improved your life from what it would have been otherwise. You love that dog, and remember, you were just as lucky to have her as she you. Animals, and especially dogs, have an amazing ability to improve our lives, which makes it all the more difficult when they are gone, but I have no doubt that time will soften the loss.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:00 pm

Such loss

Much sadness

Many tears

*Sniff*

[/insert doge sad face image]
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:39 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Later this evening a single-malt will have a special toast.

MarkG509 wrote:
I did toast an extra Jack-n-Water (in a new red plastic 16oz cup) while remembering that All dogs go to Heaven.

We should've set a time for a coordinated toast. Heh. I'm currently somewhat lacking in decent distilled spirits, but I cracked open a 12 year old bottle of homebrewed Scottish Wee Heavy (strong ale).

Thanks for the condolences, everyone.

And yeah, I guess Dezi and I both won each other over. I wasn't a "dog person" before, and she really didn't seem to trust *anyone* at first. Lord knows what happened to her before she came to us to create that kind of distrust (and yes, even fear... I could see it in her eyes those first few months). But as the months and years went by, we became very close.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:06 am

just brew it! wrote:
[And yeah, I guess Dezi and I both won each other over. I wasn't a "dog person" before, and she really didn't seem to trust *anyone* at first. Lord knows what happened to her before she came to us to create that kind of distrust (and yes, even fear... I could see it in her eyes those first few months). But as the months and years went by, we became very close.

Our current dog is a rescue and while he immediately bonded with the wife & daughter, he was fearful of me for several months. 'Twas clear that "the man" was the bad guy in his previous life. It took a while, but it's OK. Eight years later I have to roust him out of my spot on the bed most nights and he doesn't stay away for too long.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:25 am

Burying pets doesn't ever get any easier but having outlived several now I can wholeheartedly recommend looking for another immediately.

You'll grieve for Dezi either way but it's better to be distracted and entertained by a new dog than constantly reminded of your loss by all the daily differences that arise from no longer having a dog. Everyone deals with grief differently but that opinion is not just mine, it seems to be a shared opinion of many that have talked to me about loving and losing their four-legged friends.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:30 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Burying pets doesn't ever get any easier but having outlived several now I can wholeheartedly recommend looking for another immediately.

You'll grieve for Dezi either way but it's better to be distracted and entertained by a new dog than constantly reminded of your loss by all the daily differences that arise from no longer having a dog. Everyone deals with grief differently but that opinion is not just mine, it seems to be a shared opinion of many that have talked to me about loving and losing their four-legged friends.

I've heard both sides of this. Some people recommend the exact opposite -- that getting another dog too soon can be upsetting because of all the ways the new dog is *not* the same as the old one.

In any case, it will be my wife's decision. She's definitely the most broken up about this.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:03 am

Jesus, JBI, my sincere condolences. I have always wanted a Shiba Inu and know how loyal that breed can be. And with a bit of hardheadedness. I'm a dog lover myself and pretty much consider my dog to be a family member.

.........Damn, is someone cutting onions around here?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:13 am

Sorry to hear that. (I have to admit though, and dating myself here, reading the topic thread the first thing that popped into my mind is "Didn't Desi Arnaz die years ago?")

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:20 am

My condolences buddy. That sucks. :(

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:50 am

Condolences as well, losing a beloved pet like that is awful. :(

At least you were able to give her a better life then she would ever have had otherwise.

alloyD
Gerbil First Class

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:54 am

I'm sorry to hear that JBI; it's hard to lose a friend like that.
"The danger lies not in the machine itself but in the user's failure to envision the full consequences of the instructions he gives to it." --Neil Stephenson

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:26 am

JBI man, my condolences. Losing dogs sucks :(

that getting another dog too soon can be upsetting because of all the ways the new dog is *not* the same as the old one.
t

That's where I fall on it. My dog I grew up with died when I was 18; I was probably 22 or 23 when I finally felt like I could get another. Now I'm 31 and he's really showing his age. slow to get moving, vision appears to be going, and I haven't seen him catch a bird in a year or two. He's lost a lot of teeth too.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:15 am

Sorry for your loss JBI.
In times like this I always say, the amount it hurts is equal to the amount of affection, so she must have been a great part of the family.
Just hearing you remembering the times she comforted you and your wife is is awesome, since some people never get that from other humans, let alone animals.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:56 am

JBI, sorry to hear you lost your dog.

I've 2 lost 2 dogs so far, a border collie who loved to be a shag rug and keep your feet warm, and a short hair german pointer who loved to chase balls and birds.
The collie was a rescue and was rather slow. We only just about trained her to sit, laydown, bark, and be quiet. Everything else was beyond her level of intelligence.

We currently have a B/W springer spaniel who looks like two dogs put together with her markings different on each side of her face. Very cute!

You know rescued dogs are some of the best ones out there. Sure I've always had purebreds, but I think mutts are a better idea in the long run.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:11 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about losing your furry thing. :(

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:12 pm

Man, that sucks :(

Frickin' ninjas cutting onions.

Best wishes for you and your wife, JBI.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:16 pm

A bit OT:

Aranarth wrote:
but I think mutts are a better idea in the long run.

They don't inherit some of the breeds bad genes/traits that lead to breed specific genetic health problems. I have a Cairn Terrier (you know Toto) that has severe allergic reactions to flea bites and chicken. And its and unfortunate purebreed trait. But alas, I wouldn't trade him for the world.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:00 pm

Sorry about that, JBI. I've had, and lost, one good pet (cat) while growing up and cried like a little girl when she had to be put under.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:03 pm

RIP sweet friend. Losing friends of any kind is hard. Take care.