600 lm               40 W                 10 W
900 lm               60 W                 15 W
1125 lm              75 W                 18.75 W
1500 lm              100 W                25 W
2250 lm              150 W                37.5 W
3000 lm              200 W                50 W

Hi Jigar,
I'd like to add a note to that table-
I've noticed a steady increase in efficiency of LED bulbs over the last 5 years.
Don't know how honest manufacturers are with their products-have a couple of Philips here-
They claim-
7 Watt-similar to 40 Watt-600lm.
9 Watt-similar to 60 Watt-806lm.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: YALBT (Yet Another LED Bulb Thread)

Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:56 am

HERETIC wrote:
I've noticed a steady increase in efficiency of LED bulbs over the last 5 years.

Yep, can't group Florescent and LEDs together at all. The cheapest of cheap 1600 Lumen LED bulbs at walmart are down to 15w, and 16w for dimmer compatible models. More expensive models drop down to 13w. The 1600 bulbs I bought some years ago were somewhere around 20-23w by comparison.

The quality and voltages of the LEDs has improved tremendously in the last five years alone.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:27 am

SecretMaster wrote:
I hate to thread necro, but I was wondering if any of y'all have any additional input on LED bulbs. I'm in the market to replace bulbs on about 4 lamps and am wondering if I should try out LED. Reading up on user experiences and know-how here at TR lead me to think I'm better of sticking with CFL's. I'm doing a cursory search on amazon and seeing a ton of stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_revi ... eview-rank

In general, I've had much better reliability with LED than CFL.

The warm white Feits they sell at Costco have been great. The lower wattage ones are even OK for use in closed fixtures (many LED bulbs are not), and they are compatible with dimmers.

Avoid the Crees from Home Depot (I've had annoyingly high failure rates with them).

A few additional things to be aware of with dimmer-compatible LEDs: The brightness curve won't perfectly match incandescent, but at least with the ones I've tried it is "good enough" unless you're mixing them in a chandelier type fixture with existing incandescent bulbs. The other way they differ is that -- unlike incandescent -- the color temperature does not drop as you dial back the dimmer setting. Supposedly, "dimmable" LED bulbs may not work with some older dimmers; but I have not had any issues so far (and I'm fairly sure the dimmers in this house date back to the 1990s if not earlier).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:37 am

just brew it! wrote:
The other way they differ is that -- unlike incandescent -- the color temperature does not drop as you dial back the dimmer setting. Supposedly, "dimmable" LED bulbs may not work with some older dimmers; but I have not had any issues so far (and I'm fairly sure the dimmers in this house date back to the 1990s if not earlier).

I noted in another thread -- it might have been DYMT Reloaded -- that I was experimenting with those newer Philips "Warm Glow" dimmables.  They fade in a set of three LEDs with a deep red-orange phosphor blend before transitioning to a more traditional soft-white LED set closer to full brightness.  The effect is not perfect, and they can even strobe if you have power quality issues causing flicker when the dimmer is set near the transition voltage between the "warm/dim" trio and the "soft/full" set, but they otherwise mimic a credible incandescent curve.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Kougar

Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:50 pm

SecretMaster wrote:
I hate to thread necro, but I was wondering if any of y'all have any additional input on LED bulbs. I'm in the market to replace bulbs on about 4 lamps and am wondering if I should try out LED. Reading up on user experiences and know-how here at TR lead me to think I'm better of sticking with CFL's. I'm doing a cursory search on amazon and seeing a ton of stuff.

My apologies, I missed your post entirely. I only buy LEDs anymore, I won't touch a CFL regardless of the price differences. 

The 1600 lumen LED bulbs I bought some years ago (I think 3?) draw 5-8w more than current models but none have burned out. I've been gradually replacing CFLs as they die ever since... never had an LED die (yet) but last year did return one bad batch to Costco that had an an annoying electrical buzzing sound. Not even the cheapest Walmart 1600 bulbs have shown issues and are buzz free.

Just be sure what kind you are getting, the dimmable/non-dimmable versions are in near identical packaging and often the only differentiator is a single line of text and 1-2w more draw on the dimmable models. Also some bulbs are still intended only for open sockets, others can handle semi-enclosed fixtures but always good to be sure.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:17 pm

I converted all the lights in my house to Cree TW bulbs. They're a tad whiter than incandescents, and have about the same color quality to my eye. I am very sensitive to the poor color quality of CFL and regular LED bulbs, so I'm happy to have found a good LED alternative in the Cree TWs.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:02 am

HERETIC wrote:
Jigar wrote:
Lumens to watts table

Lumens Incandescent light bulb watts Fluorecent/ LED watts
375 lm               25 W                 6.23 W
600 lm               40 W                 10 W
900 lm               60 W                 15 W
1125 lm              75 W                 18.75 W
1500 lm              100 W                25 W
2250 lm              150 W                37.5 W
3000 lm              200 W                50 W

Hi Jigar,
I'd like to add a note to that table-
Don't know how honest manufacturers are with their products-have a couple of Philips here-
They claim-
7 Watt-similar to 40 Watt-600lm.
9 Watt-similar to 60 Watt-806lm.

Sorry for the late response, i missed it some how. I agree, the efficiency of LED Bulbs have increase in couple of years.
Below is the latest per watt lumens we are getting in India. (pardon the spelling mistakes in the pic, its a local brand in India)

farmpuma
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:07 am

Recently, I had my first LED bulb failure. A non-dimmable Walmart $2.44 60watt equivalent that ran continuously at 8.5watts for two years and three months upside down in a surface mount ceiling fixture on a three year warranty. I took it to the service desk in an original box with the receipt and they told me I needed to call the toll free number on the box. I called the number and a pleasant guy named Rick had me read him numbers off the bulb and the box. In less than a week a five dollar gift card arrived in the mail, YMMV. Now I need to find a place to recycle it (Walmart only recycles CFLs) or disassemble it out of curiosity.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:28 am

farmpuma wrote:
Recently, I had my first LED bulb failure. A non-dimmable Walmart $2.44 60watt equivalent that ran continuously at 8.5watts for two years and three months upside down in a surface mount ceiling fixture on a three year warranty. I took it to the service desk in an original box with the receipt and they told me I needed to call the toll free number on the box. I called the number and a pleasant guy named Rick had me read him numbers off the bulb and the box. In less than a week a five dollar gift card arrived in the mail, YMMV. Now I need to find a place to recycle it (Walmart only recycles CFLs) or disassemble it out of curiosity.

Yeah, I've been scratching my head over how to dispose of dead LED bulbs too. Local hazardous waste place won't take 'em because they don't contain mercury like CFLs and are therefore not considered hazardous; electronics recycling place won't take 'em because they are light bulbs; and it is illegal to put electronics in the trash. Bit of a Catch-22. Will probably end up just putting them in the trash if I can't figure something out; in the unlikely event I ever get called out for it I can point to the municipal electronics recycling facility and say "your own recycling service claims they are not electronics".

Steel
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:39 am

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, I've been scratching my head over how to dispose of dead LED bulbs too.

You can try Batteries+Bulbs, I know they take CFL bulbs for a fee.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:50 am

Steel wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, I've been scratching my head over how to dispose of dead LED bulbs too.

You can try Batteries+Bulbs, I know they take CFL bulbs for a fee.

There's a list of bulb types they take on their web site: https://www.batteriesplus.com/t/recycling/Light-Bulb

LED is conspicuously absent.

Paying someone to take my dead bulbs would also be irksome.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:47 am

Our city does recycling pickup on garbage day (today incidentally). They just dump whatever's in the bin into the truck. Let the recycling plant figure it out. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:23 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Our city does recycling pickup on garbage day (today incidentally). They just dump whatever's in the bin into the truck. Let the recycling plant figure it out. :lol:

When the selling price of recycled materials doesn't cover the cost of separation, storage, transport, and all that, all of that blue bin material goes straight to the landfill. I can easily make many heads around me explode when I point that out to them.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:32 am

Yeah but that's on them. I did the right thing by recycling it. /inserts head into sand
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:11 am

Derfunkenstein wrote:
Yeah but that's on them. I did the right thing by recycling it. /inserts head into sand

I appreciate the candor, but generally speaking that attitude is a huge problem: people contaminating otherwise marginal material streams means that not only was your contaminant land-filled, but so was the rest of the material it was embedded within.

And it's not just a matter of how it was non-economical to separate out initially: anyone working in raw material industry understands how shipments are frequently rejected nearly on whim, for instance, I've personally witnessed entire rail cars (as in, multiple cars at once) of steel scrap be denied because someone *thought* they saw copper. Copper is actually more valuable than the scrap it is in, but back it went. Potentially across many states.

Moving rail cars costs money. Not moving rail cars cost money(demurrage). Putting into the landfill costs money. Everything costs money. Checking before you even ship it costs money, even if it is strictly binary Quality Assurance, and it's never foolproof (not only is it inherently subjective as discussed, but things can shift in baling/transit/etc making a previously non-visible "defect" visible).

So if you fool yourself and if those largely subjective rejections by the other side hit another threshold, which likely also subjective, you can lose the entire contract altogether. Ooops.

It really sucks.

As I said, I appreciate the honesty and do not blame you, but for general awareness: Please do not put anything in a recycling bin unless you are positively sure that the receiving entity accepts it. If you are going somewhere to recycle, it should be marked or there should be someone you can ask. If it's curb-side, your municipality should publish the specifications from their processor.

It helps a TON (literally!).

Thanks!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:36 am

Well then we're back to what to do with LED bulbs. I haven't personally had any die, and I understand what you're getting at, but it sounds like they're going to wind up in the landfill regardless, and that's unfortunate. I had just written what I'd do in such a case, and it sounds like it's not any better than just throwing it out.

Surely there's some value in the metal used for the connector and the plastic used in the rest of the bulb. The landfill isn't the right destination, obviously, but what are consumers supposed to do?

And my slash-action is meant to be a nod to all that. the posters on this page were stuck on what to do with them, and apparently there's no great answer yet.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:45 am

Would be a much smaller issue if I hadn't bought a number of the crappy 1st-gen Cree bulbs. They account for nearly all of the failures.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:49 am

Ah, I only really got on board with LED this past fall when some CFL bulbs started to die and my local stores quit carrying them. I only have the choice between incandescent and LED bulbs right now, which struck me as odd, but the LED bulb prices are down to sane levels, too.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:50 am

derfunkenstein wrote:
I had just written what I'd do in such a case, and it sounds like it's not any better than just throwing it out.

It's probably worse.

JBI wrote:
Would be a much smaller issue if I hadn't bought a number of the crappy 1st-gen Cree bulbs. They account for nearly all of the failures.

Yeah, luckily they last so long (generally speaking) that this isn't even a monthly problem.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:16 pm

You're over-thinking it. I just throw mine in the trash. There is no other "official" disposal method, and most stuff just ends up in the landfill anyway.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:19 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Ah, I only really got on board with LED this past fall when some CFL bulbs started to die and my local stores quit carrying them. I only have the choice between incandescent and LED bulbs right now, which struck me as odd, but the LED bulb prices are down to sane levels, too.

Not so odd. CFLs were clearly a hack until something better came along. They were much lower power than incandescents, but had a ton of drawbacks (as we know).

LEDs are almost the best of all worlds. They are even lower power than CFLs, can be made into a number of different shapes, dim more consistently, last a really long time, and contain no mercury. The only real downside is the potential color rendition, or lack thereof (wide range of simultaneously emitted colors), and the potential for sleep-disturbing blue light emission.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:42 pm

I just had a Feit electric chandelier light bulb go out (the one with the tiny end) 40 watt equiv I think.
It had a glass globe (not candle shape) with 4 led "sticks" in it and 2 of the sticks went out.
I sent them an email with pics and they sent me two new ones for free.

So far it seems the led bulbs give better light with less noticeable flicker than the CFL curly's do.
They also seem more robust with less heat.

I have two of their 60watt equiv @ 3000K (800 lumens?) outside and they did just fine even when the temp dropped to -10F.
They were in covered exterior enclosures. The bulbs are not specifically rated for outside use but can be used in "damp" environments.

All of the bulbs are either Feit or Sylvania bought at Menards.

In the barn we have some of the first 100watt equiv bulbs and those have been fine a year and a half. Again no issues when the temp was -10F. Came on full brightness. The florescent outside rated light bars HATED the weather. one of them still isn't working right.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:29 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Those are fun. Break open the silicone-coated glass, and then the LED assembly is folded around the heatsink core. It slides right out as the contacts are merely spring-loaded. You can then bust out that aluminum core and recycle most of it as scrap metal. Wear gloves.

If the driver circuit failed and not the LEDs, you can continue to play with that LED card by applying DC voltage to the (+) and (-) terminals, which should be labeled. Unfortunately I think the early CREEs use a series combination that requires something like 90V. It may be easier to scrape insulation off the trace interconnections and apply 3V at a time to individual elements.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:59 pm

ludi wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Those are fun. Break open the silicone-coated glass, and then the LED assembly is folded around the heatsink core. It slides right out as the contacts are merely spring-loaded. You can then bust out that aluminum core and recycle most of it as scrap metal. Wear gloves.

If the driver circuit failed and not the LEDs, you can continue to play with that LED card by applying DC voltage to the (+) and (-) terminals, which should be labeled. Unfortunately I think the early CREEs use a series combination that requires something like 90V. It may be easier to scrape insulation off the trace interconnections and apply 3V at a time to individual elements.

Ha! I don't even need to break open the glass. Several of them failed by having the glass bulb part fall off!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat May 12, 2018 9:26 am

I just noticed that Amazon now has house-brand bulbs. I wonder if they are any good. Next time we need some, I'll probably order them.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M9MCQK/re ... =UTF8&th=1

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat May 12, 2018 10:50 am

Walmart also has house brand LED lamps:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value- ... t/51497399
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat May 12, 2018 10:56 am

Nice. $2.50 each for daylight 14W/1500lumen bulbs.