Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

ultima_trev
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Drove a sports car for the first time! Amazing!

Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:08 pm

At 32 years old, I have been deprived of a lot in life when it comes to riding in style. The only memory of being in a sports car was around 10 or 11 years old when I got to ride shotgun in my uncle's 1990-something Ford Mustang V6.

20 years or so later. I've only owned a 2006 Kia Spectra and 2011 Subaru Forester. Not particularly sporty cars by any means but the Kia did have a standard transmission whereas the Forester was an automatic. Well, this this week saw some changes. I was always a fan of WRC/Rally and Drift racing, as well as big into the Initial D anime, so I started looking at some good old-fashioned rally muscle. Considering the Forester had served me very well, why not the WRX?

So that's what I did. I traded in the Forester for a silver 2016 WRX Premium with standard trans and after doing my first 0-100 on it... I was in love! It also nearly tripled my insurance cost, but for performance like this it was so worth it!
Ryzen 7 1800X - Corsair H60i - GA AB350 Gaming - 32GB DDR4 2933 at 16,16,16,36 - GTX 1080 at 1924 / 5264 (undervolted) - 250GB WD Blue SSD - 2TB Toshiba 7200rpm HDD

toki
Gerbil XP

Re: Drove a sports car for the first time! Amazing!

Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:34 pm

lol. Memories man. I have been around a few sports cars in my life. From the metal feet to the metal knobs for the gear shifter to represent the muscle car. One of my favorite memories of one of those cars is a young me riding down the street with a friend from a video store I used to hang out at in sports car with the top down listening to running with devil at full blast with him driving fast. Fun Times. Congratulations.

ultima_trev
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:12 pm

Thanks. Good times indeed. Can't wait to see the reaction of peeps when I slowly cruise by the church early Sunday playing some Cannibal Corpse or At the Gates. :evil:
Ryzen 7 1800X - Corsair H60i - GA AB350 Gaming - 32GB DDR4 2933 at 16,16,16,36 - GTX 1080 at 1924 / 5264 (undervolted) - 250GB WD Blue SSD - 2TB Toshiba 7200rpm HDD

toki
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:14 pm

ultima_trev wrote:
Thanks. Good times indeed. Can't wait to see the reaction of peeps when I slowly cruise by the church early Sunday playing some Cannibal Corpse or At the Gates. :evil:
:lol:

PainIs4ThaWeak1
Gerbil

Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:17 pm

Every now and again, seemingly at just the right time, I read/see/hear things like this that make me realize that I need to re-evaluate the things I take for granted.

I'm not wealthy, and work/have worked for everything I have - yet I do still recognize that I don't "want" for much, therefore I give pretty frequently. Though I still need these periodic reminders to keep me grounded and humble.

Edit: \m/ @ CC and ATG.

Preface: I've owned a couple "sports" cars since my early twenties. 1992 240sx, 2007 Civic Si, and more recently, 1998 NSX. Until now, I never considered those who simply can't afford even the "poorest" of poor-man's sports cars (No, definitely not implying the WRX is a poorman's sports car, by any means. Hey, I drove a civic FFS!)

Even with that all said, (even before the serious thought given to those who simply can't afford a "fun" car) I'd still (and will continue to) allow people who showed interest in any car I've owned to go and take it for a spin. NSX included. It just feels, to me, that its one of the best things you can give a lesser fortunate car enthusiast.

PGleo86
Gerbil

Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:33 pm

You should let it break in for the first 1000 miles, though (keep it below 4000rpm basically). It allows everything in the drivetrain to get settled and keep the car reliable for longer. Check out some Subaru forums, /r/subaru is a good one! Welcome to the fast Subaru club!
ASUS Z97-A, i7 4790K @ 4.8 + Corsair H100i GTX, Fractal Design Define R5 (window, Titanium), 20GB DDR3/1600, ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP!, 620W PSU, 5TB HDD, 512GB Samsung 840 Pro

hkuspc40
Gerbil

Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:55 pm

Welcome to the club! When I'm not messing with my computer I'm messing with this!

9600K @ 4.9 + 16GB Trident RGB 3200 CL14 + Asus Z390-I + 970 Evo 500GB + EVGA RTX 2080 Turbo + EVGA CLC 240 + NZXT H200i + Noctua iPPC Fans + 1440p @ 75Hz

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:41 pm

Long, long ago, back in the mid-70's, a friend of mine used to work on "cars" - not sure what to call this kind of car, the interior was all stripped out, internal roll-cage welded in, little skinny tires up front, big fat slicks in the back. Not much of an exhaust, just big straight tubes out the back. I remember there was a number brushed on side window indicating it did low 9's in the 1/4 mile. Something about a "large block chevy" bored out with something about the 'heads' I was expected to think was amazing.

He let me drive it. I stuck cigarette filters in my ears to muffle the sound. No helmet, no 3-point harness, or anything. Probably got it over 100mph in the length of a block. Certainly wouldn't try anything like that now, probably half the police force would be screaming up in a couple minutes. But, zOMG that was fun.

BIF
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:24 am

Just remember, no matter how fast it CAN go, your top speed will be limited by...
1. mistimed red lights in your city
2. the car that turns right in front of you onto the road you're on, and to make up for the clear lane in front of him, he STEPS ON HIS BRAKES
3. all the people who are going where you are going, but thought to leave earlier than you
4. all the people who are NOT going where you are going, but still got their a@@es out of the house before you did
5. all of the people who have no damned idea where they are going, but it doesn't matter anyway because they
6. ...are texting or talking, both of which seem to require hand dexterity beyond the capability of the human brain to provide while also driving

Edit: Oh yeah, congratulations to the OP. Now don't go killing or maiming anybody, dammit! :evil:

ultima_trev
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:32 am

Thanks all.

I definitely don't do 0-60 or 0-100 on the streets, only past midnight on the expressway when there's no one around. Being as this is a $32k investment and my dream car (this and the Evo), I will drive it as responsibly as possible.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:39 am

Good on you, ultima. I'm not a car person, but I can certainly understand the appeal of a cool, fast car.

I got to drive a 2006 SLK 350 last week, by far the fastest and most powerful car I've ever been in. It was being loaned to me, so I stuck to the speed limit and did nothing stupid, but it was still a fun experience.

Also, to my pleasant surprise, you can put the driver's seat in that thing far enough down and back that I (I'm 6'4"/193 cm) can drive it comfortably. That's a major point for design in my book.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:15 pm

ultima_trev wrote:
Being as this is a $32k investment and my dream car (this and the Evo), I will drive it as responsibly as possible.

Good luck with that. One of the factors that finally compelled me to trade in my Celica GT-S before the first kid pregnancy actually happened, was the $3k clutch and transmission rebuild. I hadn't outright abused it (evidenced by only mild wear overall), but hard driving had put a bark in the 2nd-gear synchro and taken a bite out of the clutch, which had subsequently lodged itself in the release bearing. I knew if I kept the car another couple years, I would do it again, and kill both the drivetrain AND resale value at the worst possible time.

In any case, have fun! Haven't driven any sports car over 200hp yet. Maybe in 25 years...
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

localhostrulez

Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:04 pm

BIF wrote:
Just remember, no matter how fast it CAN go, your top speed will be limited by...
1. mistimed red lights in your city
2. the car that turns right in front of you onto the road you're on, and to make up for the clear lane in front of him, he STEPS ON HIS BRAKES
3. all the people who are going where you are going, but thought to leave earlier than you
4. all the people who are NOT going where you are going, but still got their a@@es out of the house before you did
5. all of the people who have no damned idea where they are going, but it doesn't matter anyway because they
6. ...are texting or talking, both of which seem to require hand dexterity beyond the capability of the human brain to provide while also driving

Edit: Oh yeah, congratulations to the OP. Now don't go killing or maiming anybody, dammit! :evil:

Hey, one of my favorite things to do in this college town is tailgate a sporty car (using my bicycle) that insists on going really slowly (well below the speed limit, nothing in front of them, unaware that turn signals are a thing) for no apparent reason. Kinda stupid, but extremely easy to do sometimes. :lol:

I see this a fair bit on I-5 as well, especially in Oregon and Washington (California, not so much) - people going slowly in the left lane, and passing on the right (granted, there are a few left-hand exits around Seattle). And here I am, in a little non-si non-VTEC Civic, *easily* able to pass these people just by pushing the gas a tiny bit further (not to the floor) *in 5th gear* - it really doesn't take much if you're actually trying. I like revving this car up toward redline when hitting the highway, but there's enough traffic in the bay area that it just doesn't make any sense to hold gears for that long. :(

Curiously, one of my friends has a 2011 Genesis, he drives it and mods it hard, and 2nd gear doesn't engage properly (bad synchros?). At least the Civic does that well.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:14 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
Curiously, one of my friends has a 2011 Genesis, he drives it and mods it hard, and 2nd gear doesn't engage properly (bad synchros?).

Some manuals are a bit stiff going into 2nd gear anyway, but a few missed shifts (let go of the clutch before the gear is fully engaged) will Vitamix the syncro into brass confetti. A couple slight misses, and it will start to fight the transition with a bit of 'barking'. One hard miss can blow it out entirely, and if you're having a particularly unlucky day, chew up the gear steel as well. First-to-second shift timing is pretty fidgety if you're trying to get off the line quick, and the ratio spread is typically wide between those two, so second gear usually gets the most abuse.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:05 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
Curiously, one of my friends has a 2011 Genesis, he drives it and mods it hard, and 2nd gear doesn't engage properly (bad synchros?). At least the Civic does that well.

Given that you said your friend put mods on, I'm assuming it's a 2011 Coupe; in which case, I can tell you that it's because the manuals for both the BK1 (2010-2012) and BK2 (2013+) platforms is relatively garbage.

ultima_trev: Nice dude! It's amazing how well the interiors for the WRX's have improved in the last decade; they're really nice inside now, to go along with that lovely AWD/Turbo Boxer performance!
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

localhostrulez

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:36 pm

Yeah, it's a coupe - are the coupe and sedan options notably different on those? With my 05 Civic, the engine, tranny (all of the guts actually), and size of the car are the same - the coupe just has slightly different headlights/taillights and 2 fewer doors. I couldn't figure out why anyone would buy the coupe version if they had a choice.

And that makes sense, given the gear spread (even though it's a 6-speed as I recall). This car's seen the track several times, he took the cat converter off (no emissions tests in much of Oregon, but it's still questionable), the intake is a welded mess, and as we put it, there's little that he hasn't f**ked with on it. How would one sell a car like that anyway, should the time come?

My Civic is a lot older and has 100K instead of 40k on the odometer, but it's lived a much easier life. :) Actually, 2nd engages easily enough that I've put it in second by accident when starting the car (I park in 1st, start in neutral) and then stalled while double clutching into reverse. I occasionally have to double clutch when engaging 1st from a stoplight though, not sure why.

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:44 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
Yeah, it's a coupe - are the coupe and sedan options notably different on those? With my 05 Civic, the engine, tranny (all of the guts actually), and size of the car are the same - the coupe just has slightly different headlights/taillights and 2 fewer doors. I couldn't figure out why anyone would buy the coupe version if they had a choice.

They're very much different in this case; they share a bit of interior bits (in the same way all Hyundai's do), but the tranny in the Sedan has different gear ratios (both auto and manual) than the Coupe; the Sedan can get up to a 5.0L V8 (very cruisey engine), while the Coupe can only get the 3.8L V6 from the Sedan (the Sedan's version is a bit de-tuned from what they stick in the Coupe).

I don't know if the auto transmission 2013 (Coupe) onwards is shared at all, I know that 2010-2012 (Coupe) and 2009-2014 (Sedan) are both based on the same ZF transmission that BMW used for a bit there (again, different gear ratios, 6HP19 vs 6HP26). The bonus to that is that there's alot of companies willing to work on the autos since there's a wider market (VW, BMW, etc. cars) than the Hyundai specific parts (which I plan to have Level 10 rebuild mine......eventually).

localhostrulez wrote:
And that makes sense, given the gear spread (even though it's a 6-speed as I recall). This car's seen the track several times, he took the cat converter off (no emissions tests in much of Oregon, but it's still questionable), the intake is a welded mess, and as we put it, there's little that he hasn't f**ked with on it. How would one sell a car like that anyway, should the time come?

It depends. He might get lucky and find someone who wanted the *exact* same mods and doesn't mind not being able to do the mods themselves; otherwise, it seems like a good number of people on the forums just go back to stock then sell it that way.
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:24 pm

2L 4 banger, pretty big for a 4 banger I guess.

The roads this far north aren't really sports car friendly. Closest thing I ever drove to sports card was my buddies old Monte Carlo SS. I can't remember if it came with a 4.3L v-6 or a 5L v-8, but it didn't last long, he bought it off an old lady, so after he bagged it out for a few days, well let's say the car wasn't used to that kind of driving lol.

Put in a rebuilt 350 well 355cid I guess after being bored 30 thou over, headers, dual exhaust, etc. etc. Then rear tires wouldn't last more than 10k miles lol

Ahhh to be young and silly with living at home with mom and dad disposable income................the good old days lol

Enjoy!!
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:57 pm

PGleo86 wrote:
You should let it break in for the first 1000 miles, though (keep it below 4000rpm basically). It allows everything in the drivetrain to get settled and keep the car reliable for longer.

IMO, this is old advice and may not ever have been correct.

Break in on new rings/parts should be non-constant speed, and variable from nothing to full throttle as much as possible. When I rebuilt my Miata, I drove the overloving snot out of it for the first 50 miles (slowly increasing max revs over those miles, starting at under 4K eventually rising to redline), did an oil change, and drove it normally after that.

The first thing any Corvette (since 1997) does is a dyno run, followed by a jaunt around the test track at balls to the wall speeds.

Anyway - OP - enjoy your new car! My wife just bought our first "real" new car this past fall, it's interesting having this thing called a "warranty". :lol:
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

localhostrulez

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:08 pm

What does a Miata cruise at on the freeway? Because it's difficult to get a Civic up to 70MPH if you don't go past 4000RPM, for example (the car cruises at 3000RPM in 5th at that speed).
Last edited by localhostrulez on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:10 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
What does a Miata cruise at on the freeway? Because it's difficult to get a Civic up to 70MPH if you don't go past 4000RPM, for example.

About 4000 RPM at 75-80 MPH. Manual transmissions make it much easier to do this kind of break-in without going crazy trying to hold the transmission in various gears.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

localhostrulez

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:20 pm

Oh, no doubt manual transmissions make this stuff easier (and towing, and as a roommate theft-deterrent in 'Merica).

I usually don't hold the car past 4000RPM for long - I go a hair over that when hitting a hill in 4th gear (of 5) at 70-80MPH on I-5, and that's it. But I rev it to 5000 (or more) all the time when hitting freeway onramps - it's a small, rev-happy Honda engine. Sounds like the Miata revs even harder. So how do you breakin without exceeding those revs?

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:27 pm

Oh, you definitely exceed them eventually in break-in.

I did my test drive on rural roads, so I had the freedom to accelerate/decelerate at will for the most part. My rev limiter is set at 7200 (hard spark cut, spark retard starting at 6900 as well). The little 1.6L likes to breath, so opening it up to full RPM only took a few miles when I got impatient. :lol:

That was my own cautiousness on the break-in procedure, many will tell you to simply drive the snot out of it, alternate throttle/decel, and change the oil after the first few tens of miles. Like my Corvette example, the first thing any new one does is hit a full idle to rev limit dyno run, followed by a sprint around the track at full bore.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Waco wrote:
That was my own cautiousness on the break-in procedure, many will tell you to simply drive the snot out of it, alternate throttle/decel, and change the oil after the first few tens of miles. Like my Corvette example, the first thing any new one does is hit a full idle to rev limit dyno run, followed by a sprint around the track at full bore.

Well, I'm of the other school. Since I expect to burn 130K miles every 5 years, I stick with the Subie break-in rev limit of 4,000 RPM for the first 1,000 miles and also don't use cruise in that time. Depending on where I'm working, that's 1 1/2 to 3 weeks. I can hold the anticipation until then.

Speaking of MT Subie turbos (14 years experience) your "demon gear", especially in cold-weather areas, will be 1st. Those boxen just won't shift into 1st on the move until completely up to temp. Also, gear most likely to be broken is 3rd; the ECU limits torque in 1st & 2nd and lets it all out in 3rd, so that's the gear that pops on hard accel runs.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

localhostrulez

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:47 pm

And then there's my grandma, who probably never exceeds 3000RPM on her Civic. (Those cruise around 2000 in the city, 3000 on the highway.) The last time that car went on the freeway was probably when she let me borrow it (several months back) and I had some fun with the gas pedal. :lol:

And Ned - wait, so your Subie's ECU pays attention to the manual gearing? I thought my car ('05 Civic) pays no attention whatsoever to the MT gearbox; it's totally a mechanical deal. And personally, being a college student, I'd almost be a bit afraid to have a new car (especially an automatic) while living here (if I could afford it in the first place). Other students don't seem to respect your car, having a manual wards off friends/roommates who want to borrow it (one of my friends doesn't understand gear shifting at all... that's probably why he's studying EE rather than ME :lol:), etc. There's a nice feeling of not giving a crap when your reliable 10 year old car gets dinged (again). Grandma's car is definitely at that point. But at the same time, I occasionally see nice features on new cars, and find myself wanting to get one once I'm out of college and can afford it... (Meanwhile, there's the other side of me that wants to drop a grand or so on a 20 year old piece of crap, beat it up, try my hand at all kinds of DIY maintenance, etc, just because I can and not much is at stake. Totally affordable, but having a garage and not moving every several months would help first...)

Edit: Apparently I have a picture of the Grandma's car next to mine (I still think the lighter color looks better, mine's blue, but meh):
Last edited by localhostrulez on Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:59 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
And Ned - wait, so your Subie's ECU pays attention to the manual gearing?

Maybe not the '02 WRX with the 2.0L turbo, but the '07 WRX and the '10 LGT clearly had the MT talking to the ECU. See, Subie believes that the only MT that it offers that should accept more than 258 lb-ft / 350 Nm is the STI-exclusive 6-speed (I've surfed a good chunk of Subie's country-specific web sites and the only motor with more torque is the STI motor). It's a beast of a tranny, but really heavy and expensive. So, Subaru has limited torque output of all of its turbo motors since at least the 2006 WRX to that figure. My guess is that that is all the tranny warranty engineers would sign off for.

Subie paid a lot of warranty claims with the 1st-gen Bug Eye WRX (to teens who thought 4K RPM clutch drops would be OK just like they were on their Civics). They "fixed" things to reduce those claims. Cobb Tuning can un-fix that, but it will likely cost you a clutch (at minimum) to play. Given the CVT in the '16 FXT, I have no thoughts of "un-fixing".
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:55 pm

There's also all kinds of internal Subaru memos to the mechanics at the dealership as to what to watch for when a car comes in for a transmission warranty claim.