Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

 
whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author
Posts: 6070
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 4:28 pm

A few months ago I get a call from some dude telling me I got a grant of ~$9000 something from the Federal grant department or some such. So I call the number he gave me and got some Indian guy who now tells I need pay a $280 deposit to get the money... So I'm smelling scam and hanged up.

Just a minute ago I get a call from some Indian sounding guy trying to sell me some "Medicare approved" product... I just hung up on him...

And it just wasn't that long ago the case workers for the Mental heath group that handles my housing and medicines was warning clients about medicare scams.

Am I being raciest or bigoted assuming that calls from anyone with an Indian sounding accent are most likely to be scams?
 
Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3451
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:47 am

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 4:50 pm

Anyone calling you for things you didn't directly solicit are trying to scam you.

You're just on a list that is circulating some India based call centers.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.
 
The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 4:50 pm

Any call from someone you don't directly do business with is likely to be a scam. Even if you DO directly do business with them, if you're not expecting the call or there isn't a good reason for contacting you, there's a fair chance it's a scam.
If it's really that important, they'll contact you via mail**.





**Unless it's the state of IL regarding plate stickers
 
anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1677
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: Northern, ON Canada, Yes I know, Up in the sticks

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 4:53 pm

Well think of the bright side. If they are Buddhists and believe in reincarnation, they will probably get reincarnated as a flea on a dogs butt for their actions in their human life.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
 
cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:28 am

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 5:06 pm

whm1974 wrote:
A few months ago I get a call from some dude telling me I got a grant of ~$9000 something from the Federal grant department or some such. So I call the number he gave me and got some Indian guy who now tells I need pay a $280 deposit to get the money... So I'm smelling scam and hanged up.

Just a minute ago I get a call from some Indian sounding guy trying to sell me some "Medicare approved" product... I just hung up on him...

And it just wasn't that long ago the case workers for the Mental heath group that handles my housing and medicines was warning clients about medicare scams.


As a general rule, any unsolicited caller that asks for money is probably scamming you. Anyone who asks you for a deposit to claim something you've won is also probably scamming you.

Am I being raciest or bigoted assuming that calls from anyone with an Indian sounding accent are most likely to be scams?


The reality is that a lot of phone and internet based scams are going to be from overseas, specifically because it's much more difficult to prosecute the people behind them... However, that doesn't mean you should assume that any caller with an accent is scamming you - there are plenty of people with Indian and other accents who work at perfectly legitimate call centers. What matters is the context of the call.
 
whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author
Posts: 6070
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 5:12 pm

cphite wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Am I being raciest or bigoted assuming that calls from anyone with an Indian sounding accent are most likely to be scams?


The reality is that a lot of phone and internet based scams are going to be from overseas, specifically because it's much more difficult to prosecute the people behind them... However, that doesn't mean you should assume that any caller with an accent is scamming you - there are plenty of people with Indian and other accents who work at perfectly legitimate call centers. What matters is the context of the call.

Well we know what they say about a few bad apples...
 
just brew it!
Administrator
Posts: 53987
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 7:22 pm

By calling the first one back you probably got yourself put on a list of potential victims (since you didn't immediately dismiss it as a scam). That's probably why you're getting more of them now.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:18 am
Location: your litterbox

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 7:42 pm

Wait till Cortana gets the Indian accent plug-in and then calls you with a hot silky voice to tell you that you've won a free upgrade to Windows 10!

I'm having so much with this Windows 10 upgrade thingy. I think I have enough material to go on a comedy tour. Just have to get it done before June 29th!

Imagine Microsoft in charge of surgery schedule in a hospital? Patient gets a notice - you have been schedule for a sex change operation... and the patient just clicks X ... :o uh oh :o
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.
 
whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author
Posts: 6070
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 7:45 pm

just brew it! wrote:
By calling the first one back you probably got yourself put on a list of potential victims (since you didn't immediately dismiss it as a scam). That's probably why you're getting more of them now.

Boy did I screw up...
 
MarkG509
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 744
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 7:57 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
Well think of the bright side. If they are Buddhists and believe in reincarnation, they will probably get reincarnated as a flea on a dogs butt for their actions in their human life.
Next time. Definitely next time. I've had 5 or 6 calls from, ahem, "Microsoft Support". Having nothing in particular I wanted to do at the moment (and maybe one or two things I was looking for any excuse to avoid (e.g., laundry)), I strung them along as far as I could. I eventually informed the guy on the phone that he was a criminal going to jail, etc.. The reincarnation angle may have gotten more/deeper traction, perhaps setting them on a less evil life-path.

whim1974 wrote:
So I'm smelling scam and hanged up.
That sound like a more general/random form of phishing. As info about you gets out there (Facebook, hacked accounts, etc.), the attacks will become increasingly specific to your situation/life/investments/hobbies/etc.. Some would call that "spear phishing". Be prepared; be vigilant. If you didn't ask for it, you are being scammed. And, nobody "wins" much of anything in any random drawing/etc., especially not me, you, or anyone you know.
 
whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author
Posts: 6070
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 8:22 pm

MarkG509 wrote:
whim1974 wrote:
So I'm smelling scam and hanged up.
That sound like a more general/random form of phishing. As info about you gets out there (Facebook, hacked accounts, etc.), the attacks will become increasingly specific to your situation/life/investments/hobbies/etc.. Some would call that "spear phishing". Be prepared; be vigilant. If you didn't ask for it, you are being scammed. And, nobody "wins" much of anything in any random drawing/etc., especially not me, you, or anyone you know.

I don't have a Facebook account and I'm pretty private. I'm not in the habit of enrolling in any drawings. But my number still got on someones list. :evil:
 
MarkG509
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 744
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 8:39 pm

whm1974 wrote:
But my number still got on someones list. :evil:
What makes your number any more special than someone just dialing 10 digits at random? Actually, only the last 4 digits matter once some idiot's targeting your area code and exchange, and in fact cut that in half again since until recently the upper half were usually assigned to businesses while the lower half usually went to residential accounts. If they knew your name ("May I please speak with Mr. Whm1974?") did you ever have a listed number? One can buy CD-Roms of the Phone Book's "white pages".
 
Paine
Gerbil
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:56 pm

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 8:43 pm

whm1974 wrote:
A few months ago I get a call from some dude telling me I got a grant of ~$9000 something from the Federal grant department or some such. So I call the number he gave me and got some Indian guy who now tells I need pay a $280 deposit to get the money... So I'm smelling scam and hanged up.


Do not answer the phone, if you do not recognize the number.
 
localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2481
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:26 pm

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 8:45 pm

Yep, that's my rule of thumb. If I don't recognize your number, you need to leave a voicemail if you want to get ahold of me. Or text me.

(Honestly, most times I've dealt with companies, professors, employers, etc, we use email, so...)
 
whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author
Posts: 6070
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 8:45 pm

MarkG509 wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
But my number still got on someones list. :evil:
What makes your number any more special than someone just dialing 10 digits at random? Actually, only the last 4 digits matter once some idiot's targeting your area code and exchange, and in fact cut that in half again since until recently the upper half were usually assigned to businesses while the lower half usually went to residential accounts. If they knew your name ("May I please speak with Mr. Whm1974?") did you ever have a listed number? One can buy CD-Roms of the Phone Book's "white pages".

Yeah they did say my name all right.
 
whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author
Posts: 6070
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 8:46 pm

Paine wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
A few months ago I get a call from some dude telling me I got a grant of ~$9000 something from the Federal grant department or some such. So I call the number he gave me and got some Indian guy who now tells I need pay a $280 deposit to get the money... So I'm smelling scam and hanged up.


Do not answer the phone, if you do not recognize the number.

I'm starting to do that.
 
MarkG509
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 744
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 9:01 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I'm starting to do that.
My phone will send any call straight to voice mail unless that number is in my phone book.

My home phone is via Ooma on their $3.94/mo plan (all state taxes). Their $10/mo "Premeir Plan" gives you the ability to enable block lists of all the known scammers, or any numbers you add yourself.

Though, in truth, I haven't bothered setting up either since I'm never home anyway, and people who I want to reach me have my cell number.
Last edited by MarkG509 on Wed May 25, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1998
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: AK, USA

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 9:07 pm

Got a text message yesterday claiming my [d]ebit Mastercard was locked, and to call the phone number included. Thing is I don't have a Mastercard, so I added it to my block list.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.
 
blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:35 pm

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 9:13 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Paine wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
A few months ago I get a call from some dude telling me I got a grant of ~$9000 something from the Federal grant department or some such. So I call the number he gave me and got some Indian guy who now tells I need pay a $280 deposit to get the money... So I'm smelling scam and hanged up.


Do not answer the phone, if you do not recognize the number.

I'm starting to do that.


Ive learned, if it's important, they'll leave a voicemail. That's what I tell myself.

Also, get a free Google Voice number. It's not only for girls. So many useful uses. Memorize it and give it to strangers w/o worry.

If things are annoying, just port your number to GV so you still have access and get a new number and share that carefully. (Just get a free GV number first, else you stuck with only one number on account and its your old real one).

Only caveat is realize, places know which numbers are VOIP and not real telco numbers. Certain services want a real number. I think Ebay 2 factor wouldn't take my google number and Telegram for example.
 
localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2481
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:26 pm

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 9:26 pm

Only caveat is realize, places know which numbers are VOIP and not real telco numbers. Certain services want a real number. I think Ebay 2 factor wouldn't take my google number and Telegram for example.

Yeah, true. That, or they try to text in some weird way, and those texts silently drop when sent to VOIP or MVNO numbers.

Which is a problem, because my main number was a GV VoIP number at one point. Tell you what guys, you can either use that number and you'll reach me, or you can have a number that I never check and never respond on.

But alas, I finally dropped the whole thing because VoIP calls over mobile data generally don't work that well - the network prioritizes it all wrong. I moved my number back to my carrier (tmo), and honestly, I use Facebook messaging for most randomness anyway. Although I did get another GV number as a throwaway, and for use while out of the country.

Also trying to talk my dad into joining Facebook so we can use messenger/their VoIP calls while over in the UK (foreign SIM cards make regular texting a pain). I know he hates Facebook, but it's actually kinda useful...
Last edited by localhostrulez on Wed May 25, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2315
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:44 am

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 9:32 pm

MarkG509 wrote:
My phone will send any call straight to voice mail unless that number is in my phone book.


For a while I had an app on my phone which did that. Several years ago when I got a new phone with a new number I found out that the previous owner of this number owed people money. I could tell it wasn't a scam since I was also getting calls from random people looking for the same person, but eventually they all gave up.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.
 
anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1677
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: Northern, ON Canada, Yes I know, Up in the sticks

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 9:48 pm

MarkG509 wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:
Well think of the bright side. If they are Buddhists and believe in reincarnation, they will probably get reincarnated as a flea on a dogs butt for their actions in their human life.
Next time. Definitely next time. I've had 5 or 6 calls from, ahem, "Microsoft Support". Having nothing in particular I wanted to do at the moment (and maybe one or two things I was looking for any excuse to avoid (e.g., laundry)), I strung them along as far as I could. I eventually informed the guy on the phone that he was a criminal going to jail, etc.. The reincarnation angle may have gotten more/deeper traction, perhaps setting them on a less evil life-path.


On top of that you could probably add also, in the slums of Mumbai :) Which I guess Dharavi would be more accurate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharavi
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
 
MarkG509
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 744
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 10:03 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
On top of that you could probably add also, in the slums of Mumbai :) Which I guess Dharavi would be more accurate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharavi
:D They call me back, they're toast! Any shrinks out there? I don't think crushing them would be the best strategy, I want them to reform their evil ways. :D
 
IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:56 am
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Thu May 26, 2016 8:04 am

I was getting the "I'm from Microsoft/there is is something wrong with your computer/I can fix it" calls
Bought one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Marine-Air-Horn/dp/B01FLMIYT0
Pretty much put and end to that.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision
 
The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Thu May 26, 2016 8:46 am

Our work cells have been getting hammered with crap lately. They're frequently from the same set of numbers (which makes them easy to block), but now I get random blank voicemail messages without ever hearing the phone ring.
 
just brew it!
Administrator
Posts: 53987
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Thu May 26, 2016 8:56 am

IAmGhostDog wrote:
I was getting the "I'm from Microsoft/there is is something wrong with your computer/I can fix it" calls
Bought one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Marine-Air-Horn/dp/B01FLMIYT0
Pretty much put and end to that.

Probably less effective than you think. The dynamic range of a phone connection is not that great.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1022
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:43 am
Location: R'lyeh

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Thu May 26, 2016 4:19 pm

Next time you get one of these scam calls, consult this handy webpage. It is a great way to bridge the cultural gap. :)
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.
 
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Posts: 25304
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Thu May 26, 2016 4:24 pm

just brew it! wrote:
IAmGhostDog wrote:
I was getting the "I'm from Microsoft/there is is something wrong with your computer/I can fix it" calls
Bought one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Marine-Air-Horn/dp/B01FLMIYT0
Pretty much put and end to that.

Probably less effective than you think. The dynamic range of a phone connection is not that great.

It's probably still a load of fun. Wish I'd thought of it. Today I got the "college grant" phone scam thing, which was kind of a weird coincidence considering I just got back FAFSA results and have an appointment with an advisor at the local community college. :o
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen
 
killadark
Gerbil XP
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:55 am

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Fri May 27, 2016 10:46 am

Oh it seems we have gone oversees? huh LOL
this sort of thing is very very common in India (im Indian ;) ) they normally get your phone number through people within the telecom providers workforce... all said they r just behind u for money don't give in!
AMD FX-8350|Asus M5A97 LE R2.0|16gb GSKILL Sniper 2400mhz|Samsung SSD 120g 840|AMD R9 290 TRI-X (dead) GTX1070
Corsair RM650x,Thermaltake Xaser vi ,Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card
 
Vrock
Gerbil God
Posts: 22768
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Fri May 27, 2016 5:44 pm

I wish them the best of luck.
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JustAnEngineer and 2 guests
GZIP: On