Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Folks from India are trying to scam me!!!

Mon May 30, 2016 8:15 am

I get a call from "Windows Technical Support" about once or twice a month, and I am frustrated that people from India (the calls I always get are from India) can be allowed to continually engage in unfriendly behavior trying to rip off the citizens of another country, and the government of that other country does NOTHING to protect its own citizens. I don't care what anybody says, it's always somebody from India who calls me, so I blame the WHOLE COUNTRY. Because I can. :o

I call them a scammer, and I call them evil for scamming old people (basically I make up insults end-to-end) and I let them have it until THEY hang up. Always make them hang up, that's my motto. It's a version of making them say "Uncle!"

Next time I'm going to ask them why they're calling my daughter's number so soon after the mysterious death of her husband on their honeymoon. Did you have something to do with his death? No? Oh, good, then it means that it really was a hit squad, and not her. Hey, you can't blame me, she does have a temper. By the way, where do you live? You might want to change all your phone numbers, and your name too, and don't go home tonight. And call your wife and kids, tell them to GET OUT of the house! But don't call them with the phone you're on now, you have to burn that one.

I thought of another way to insult them; haven't tried this yet. Ask them why is Windows calling to scam the IRS, and by the way have you paid your taxes on that $27 Million windfall you got from that African prince? You know you must pay your taxes if you are calling the IRS, and it doesn't matter where you live. The IRS is everywhere, there is no dollar we don't own. What is your phone number in India? No, not the Chicago number that shows on my caller id, I want YOUR personal phone number; the real one. I need to confirm your address too, so that I can issue the arrest warrant for the police, which I will do as soon as I hang up from this call.

Or... "Pakistan Secret Police, how may I help you?"

If this were Civilization V, I would just befriend all of your enemies then declare War to see where it takes us. Let's get it on. My Air Force is going to bomb your cities from over the mountain range, my Navy is going to lay siege and pillage your coastal harbors and my Army is already marching on your capital. I will raze every city except for your capital (only because Civ V doesn't allow it), which I will remake into a center of art while I convert its religion to something else. (you can do all that in Civ V. :wink: )

:P :lol:

All jesting aside, I think the US could do a lot to stop most of this behavior.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon May 30, 2016 8:29 am

You're overthinking this, and expending way too much effort. Just tell them you need to go and turn your PC on... "it'll take a while because it has been taking a VERY long time to start lately, and I REALLY need your help" then set the phone down.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Mon May 30, 2016 10:03 am

biffzinker wrote:
Got a text message yesterday claiming my [d]ebit Mastercard was locked, and to call the phone number included. Thing is I don't have a Mastercard, so I added it to my block list.

I hope someone didn't somehow fish your social security# and opened a mastercard in your name,,bought a lot of hookers and stuff and is leaving you the bill:)
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

localhostrulez

Mon May 30, 2016 6:09 pm

No no no. Just follow their directions, but as slowly and agonizingly as possible. Make them repeat things, make mistakes on your end and then make them figure that out, etc. Just drag it out as long as possible.

I actually went back and forth with a Nigerian scammer (Western Union thing) for a week and a half before he realized I was trying to waste his time and gave up.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon May 30, 2016 6:12 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
No no no. Just follow their directions, but as slowly and agonizingly as possible. Make them repeat things, make mistakes on your end and then make them figure that out, etc. Just drag it out as long as possible.

I actually went back and forth with a Nigerian scammer (Western Union thing) for a week and a half before he realized I was trying to waste his time and gave up.

Too much work.

toki
Gerbil XP

Mon May 30, 2016 6:20 pm

I have had a few of these calls myself. Fell for it the first time. Pulled the plug in the middle of it. Did not know what was going on. After that I have played along with them and only make them mad. The story that I have read that really ticked me off is one I read on another forum where some person was asking for help because their mother who has dementia fell for one of these scammers and gave them her credit card number and all that. The daughter found her mom's computer with all their crap on it and all that. So now they had to go through all this stuff to get the card cancelled and so on. It's sad. That story makes me sad. For me it was my own fault because I knew something didn't seem right and this was before it had started to become such a widespread thing. But luckily I pulled the plug before they could get anywhere on my system.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon May 30, 2016 6:27 pm

toki wrote:
I have had a few of these calls myself. Fell for it the first time. Pulled the plug in the middle of it. Did not know what was going on. After that I have played along with them and only make them mad. The story that I have read that really ticked me off is one I read on another forum where some person was asking for help because their mother who has dementia fell for one of these scammers and gave them her credit card number and all that. The daughter found her mom's computer with all their crap on it and all that. So now they had to go through all this stuff to get the card cancelled and so on. It's sad. That story makes me sad. For me it was my own fault because I knew something didn't seem right and this was before it had started to become such a widespread thing. But luckily I pulled the plug before they could get anywhere on my system.

You were lucky. I almost fell for the "government grant" scam myself. :o

toki
Gerbil XP

Mon May 30, 2016 6:31 pm

whm1974 wrote:
toki wrote:

I have gotten the call for that one too. lol

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon May 30, 2016 6:45 pm

whm1974 wrote:
toki wrote:

Another one that was quite common (and is probably still going on) is the "payment processor" check fraud scam. We had a thread about it here a few years back.

You get recruited for a part-time job "processing payments" for an offshore company. The cover story is that they need someone who resides in the country where you live to act as an "agent". You receive checks in the mail from various businesses, deposit them in your bank account, then wire most of the money to an offshore account (keeping a percentage for yourself as payment for your services).

The hitch? The checks are counterfeit, but have the account information of legitimate (innocent) businesses on them. So the checks clear your bank, you send most of the money to your "employer", and all seems well at first -- you're collecting a nice paycheck for doing very little work. But eventually (might be weeks or even months later) the businesses whose account numbers were forged on the checks and/or their banks realize that something fishy is going on. They come after you (since you're the one who deposited the forged checks). At this point the scammers are long gone; you're on the hook for the whole amount, and potentially facing criminal charges for bank fraud.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is. People don't just offer you "free" money!

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon May 30, 2016 6:51 pm

Thanks for bringing this one up. All these scams going around is making me afraid to answer my phone and check my mail. :evil:

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Mon May 30, 2016 10:33 pm

INDIA-THE NEW NIGERIA
Get about 2 to 3 times a month-always indians.............
I've been lucky lately, these scam artists have phoned at a convenient time.
I try to keep them on the phone as long as possible-When I'm wasting their
time they're not scamming some poor sucker..........

These calls used to be-"Were from Windows" your computer has downloaded viruses
install remote access software so we can fix.
Lately it"s "Were from Telstra" we're going to disconnect your internet tomorrow
unless you install remote access software so we can fix.

Usually keep them on phone as long as I can tolerate and usually finish up with
asking if their mother is really proud of them?
After getting a yes answer I reply with-Your mother is proud their son/daughter
is a low life scam artist-THEN HANG UP..................................................

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon May 30, 2016 10:40 pm

Maybe we should start blocking phone calls from India? That should force India to do something about their scam artists.

BIF

Mon May 30, 2016 11:48 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Maybe we should start blocking phone calls from India? That should force India to do something about their scam artists.

That would be a great idea, except that it won't work. They just buy a US phone number and VOIP you. Skype, Magicjack, etc. It's easy for them to have a Chicago, Los Angeles, or New York phone number.

This is Congress' responsibility. This is what Congress should be doing, protecting US citizens from all threats foreign and domestic. Okay, that's a bit of R&P, I know, but it's NOT political. No matter what party you are, I think this is one of those things that we can all say is a bad thing.

And I'm with JBI; stringing them on just wastes my time. Since my time is a LOT more valuable than their time, I try to avoid that, beyond maybe asking them how they plan to get to heaven while stealing from the aged and the mentally ill. Might as well leave them with a parting shot about....

SATAN! :evil: :lol:

Oh, was that R&P too? Dammit, I tellya these scammers get me going! :D

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon May 30, 2016 11:54 pm

BIF wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

That would be a great idea, except that it won't work. They just buy a US phone number and VOIP you. Skype, Magicjack, etc. It's easy for them to have a Chicago, Los Angeles, or New York phone number.

This is Congress' responsibility. This is what Congress should be doing, protecting US citizens from all threats foreign and domestic. Okay, that's a bit of R&P, I know, but it's NOT political. No matter what party you are, I think this is one of those things that we can all say is a bad thing.

And I'm with JBI; stringing them on just wastes my time. Since my time is a LOT more valuable than their time, I try to avoid that, beyond maybe asking them how they plan to get to heaven while stealing from the aged and the mentally ill. Might as well leave them with a parting shot about....

SATAN! :evil: :lol:

Oh, was that R&P too? Dammit, I tellya these scammers get me going! :D

Yeah but most Indians are Hindu not Christens.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Tue May 31, 2016 12:03 am

whm1974 wrote:
A few months ago I get a call from some dude telling me I got a grant of ~$9000 something from the Federal grant department or some such. So I call the number he gave me and got some Indian guy who now tells I need pay a $280 deposit to get the money... So I'm smelling scam and hanged up.

Just a minute ago I get a call from some Indian sounding guy trying to sell me some "Medicare approved" product... I just hung up on him...

And it just wasn't that long ago the case workers for the Mental heath group that handles my housing and medicines was warning clients about medicare scams.

Am I being raciest or bigoted assuming that calls from anyone with an Indian sounding accent are most likely to be scams?

Its a scam, stay away from these callers, also if you can report the incident please do so. These morons are spoiling the reputation of India.
Last edited by Jigar on Tue May 31, 2016 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ztrand
Gerbil First Class

Tue May 31, 2016 1:34 am

if you are using Android phones, there are a couple of apps that are quite good at screening scam calls. I'm using Truecaller which is imo the best one. You can choose if you want to silently just drop the call or flash a big red warning on screen when a number triggers. What makes it good is that their number database seem to be really up to date.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue May 31, 2016 8:50 am

HERETIC wrote:
These calls used to be-"Were from Windows" your computer has downloaded viruses
install remote access software so we can fix.

I got this kind of call for the first time from India recently. I asked what version of Windows had I registered. And he made some weasel excuses and eventually called me a son of a ***** and hung up.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 31, 2016 4:15 pm

Word of advice? Don't intentionally provoke these people. There's no guarantee that they'll accept being trolled with decorum, and you may find yourself on the receiving end of harassing phone calls for months. Want to make the problem go away? Just say, "Gee, this sounds really great, but I need to run this past the head of IT before we go any further. I got into trouble a while ago, and if I make that kind of mistake again I could be FIRED!" They'll offer token resistance, but if you play a little dumb they'll eventually dismiss you as unavailable and take you off their list.
Work: Core i9 7940x, 32 gigs RAM, RX Vega 56 + GTX Titan Xm, Win10 Pro + Xubuntu 18.04
Media: Ryzen 7 1700, 16 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 Fury, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Xeon E5-4640, 32 gigs ECC RAM, GTX 750 Ti, Slackware 14.2

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 31, 2016 4:29 pm

I wonder what they do if you tell them your PC runs Linux?

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 31, 2016 4:33 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Happened to a friend of mine - the guy on the other end seemed rattled, said something like "our records are in error, thank you for your time," and hung up. I'd love to see someone actually let a would-be scammer into a Slackware rig with TeamViewer and watch the confusion unfold...
Work: Core i9 7940x, 32 gigs RAM, RX Vega 56 + GTX Titan Xm, Win10 Pro + Xubuntu 18.04

The Egg

Tue May 31, 2016 5:08 pm

Concupiscence wrote:
Word of advice? Don't intentionally provoke these people. There's no guarantee that they'll accept being trolled with decorum, and you may find yourself on the receiving end of harassing phone calls for months.

I tend to agree. Any sort of interaction (whether you found it humorous or not) only seems to encourage them. You're not going to accomplish anything, and they can very easily put your number on a list to get extra attention.

Waco
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue May 31, 2016 6:22 pm

just brew it! wrote:

I've found out (even at home) that "Why do you think calling a government line is a good idea?". Generally I just hear a click.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

Redocbew

Tue May 31, 2016 6:25 pm

A friend of mine did something similar with people who went door to door. He'd bring his enormous ridgeback to the door with him and say "My dog likes meat" when they noticed.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

localhostrulez

Tue May 31, 2016 6:52 pm

Concupiscence wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Happened to a friend of mine - the guy on the other end seemed rattled, said something like "our records are in error, thank you for your time," and hung up. I'd love to see someone actually let a would-be scammer into a Slackware rig with TeamViewer and watch the confusion unfold...

Get a Windows 7 theme/UI/transformation pack on a linux box?

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:15 am

localhostrulez wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Get a Windows 7 theme/UI/transformation pack on a linux box?

Or one for Mac OS Platinum...

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:51 pm

Concupiscence wrote:
There's no guarantee that they'll accept being trolled with decorum, and you may find yourself on the receiving end of harassing phone calls for months.

I was on the receiving end of this a few weeks ago. And I didn't even troll the person, just demanded what company he was calling for, and pointed out that it was illegal for him to call me with an unsolicited offer from an anonymous phone #.

I would describe what I wanted to do to him once the non-stop calls started, but then I'd have to ban myself from the forums. Oh, that, and iOS' inability to do something as simple as block anonymous calls. YES, REALLY.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:33 pm

Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:02 am

Philldoe wrote:

It's funny, but I don't have the time to watch it.

localhostrulez

Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:48 am

I skimmed through it a bit.

Yeah, makes me want to mess with them next (using a VM), except that I never have time. Plus, international phone number costs, calling anonymously, etc.