Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Safety Razors

Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:48 am

So who uses these? I have been using them for over a decade now and I can't ever dream of going back to anything else. While the cost of the initial buy in is sort of high after a year I think it pretty much pays for it self when the blades themselves are dirt cheap.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Safety Razors

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:14 am

I just buy plastic single or twin-blade disposables, which seem "safety" enough for me already. 12-pack lasts about six months for less cost to me than a cold pint of beer.

More blades? Nope, they just clog.
Aloe strip? Nope, just gunk.
Rubber strip at the front? Not essential but I'm not going to avoid a razor just because it has one.

The 3 or 5-pack of "replacement blades" for fancier razors cost enough that I could by myself a good few years of disposables for the same money.
It has nothing to do with cost though, It's about avoid all the gimmicky rubbish that actually hinders a good shave.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:43 am

Meh. After testing most of the new whiz-bang blades, I went back to standard Mach 3's. The "turbo" version has an aloe strip at the top which wears-away very quickly, and more than 3 blades are redundant and constantly get clogged. I'm sure the disposables work just fine, but I like the custom handle I found on Amazon some years back (heavier weight, gravity does most of the work). Amazon has a 10-pk of standard Mach 3 blades for $15 after coupon right now. I don't go through them very fast anyhow.

SecretSquirrel

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:07 am

The Egg wrote:
Meh. After testing most of the new whiz-bang blades, I went back to standard Mach 3's. The "turbo" version has an aloe strip at the top which wears-away very quickly, and more than 3 blades are redundant and constantly get clogged. I'm sure the disposables work just fine, but I like the custom handle I found on Amazon some years back (heavier weight, gravity does most of the work). Amazon has a 10-pk of standard Mach 3 blades for $15 after coupon right now. I don't go through them very fast anyhow.

I've been using a Mach3 for the last 15 years or so. Works well and I pick up blades in bulk when I find a deal on them. I use the stock Gillette handle, but everyone has there preferences.

--SS

Arxor
Gerbil

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:13 am

I've also made the switch in the past year, but I don't know where you guys are buying, because it's pretty cheap!

I got the handle for maybe, $15? A little more than any Gillette starter pack, but not by much.

Then I ordered a grab-bag of around 100 blades (there are a ton of different ones out there) for around $20? I get anywhere from 2 - 4 shaves per blade, and I've got a fairly stiff beard.

Admittedly, I still half-ass it, and don't do the soap-and-brush thing, though I'd like to check it out.

superjawes

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:26 am

I get at least 50 blades at a time (usually 100), and I do the whole soap/cream and brush thing. I switched to a safety razor because virtually any modern one I used would give me a rash on my neck (sensitive skin + thick hairs + patchy neckbeard).

Heck, I've considered going full-blown and getting a straight razor. Even higher cost of entry, but would last a lifetime. Hard to beat the convenience of disposable blades, though.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:45 am

The dollar shave club razors are ultra cheap for the quality, but I dislike them purely because they gum up too easily. I went back to my 12 year old Mach 3 handle with standard Gillette blades.

The wife loves the dollar shave club stuff though - she can change the blade super often and not feel bad about throwing money away. :lol:
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

spiritwalker2222
Gerbil XP

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:48 am

Arxor wrote:
I get anywhere from 2 - 4 shaves per blade, and I've got a fairly stiff beard.

This is why I stopped using the more expensive blades, after the first use they would degrade rapidly. They don't last. I get cheaper ones like the Gillette Custom Plus (2 blades). They last much longer and work better than the expensive ones do after the first use.
Desktop: Skylake 6600K, GTX 660, Samsung 950 Pro, GA-Z170M-D3H
Garage mini PC: Kabylake 7100, X25-M g2, ASUS B250I, Antec ISK 110

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:02 am

If you're 12, that orange and white Bic might serve a purpose. Otherwise, meh.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:15 am

I barely shave any more but when I did I used a Merkur safety razor - blade would last a week+ and you can find blades for 50 for like $23, pretty hard to argue for that price combined with pretty much the best home shave
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:21 am

I use the Gillette Fusion Proglide blades, probably don't even change blades even once a month shaving every other day for the most part. Costs less than $3/mo, no biggie even though some might consider them fancy. :-?

naql
Gerbil

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:44 pm

I use a Classic Shaving 80R butterfly safety razor when I have the time. Love it so much more than the 4 or 5 blade modern razors. Plus you can get a 100 pack of the blades for super cheap.

I also started using a badger hair brush and some Taylor of Old Bond Street natural shaving cream.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:19 am

pikaporeon wrote:
I barely shave any more

Same here, the last time I shaved was back in 2010 since then it's a full beard but I do keep it trimmed short. Natural hair color though is giving way to white in beard, and on temple sides (turning into an old man does sorta of stink.)

Edit: I started noticing my hair color shifting to white back in my late twenties, so I'm guessing inherited genetics?
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

Kougar

Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:32 am

I've thought about getting a safety razor...

Chrispy_ wrote:
I just buy plastic single or twin-blade disposables, which seem "safety" enough for me already. 12-pack lasts about six months for less cost to me than a cold pint of beer.

It has nothing to do with cost though, It's about avoid all the gimmicky rubbish that actually hinders a good shave.

I very much agree the strips are rubbish. The last time I saw a basic twin-blade razor sans strip was at a drugstore though, the grocery stores haven't stocked them in some time. Cheapest ones now have strips, usually pivot and aren't as cheap. :-?

I simply use an offbrand three-blade refill that I think was based on the mach 3, cost is the same as the disposable packs.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:46 am

I recently switched to a safety razor this year. I now forget which handle I got, but it was $20-$30.

I got 2 10-pack samplers of the most popular blades from tryablade.com. Some of the blades are better than others on my face. Most of the blades get 4 good shaves, though I could probably stretch it to 8 shaves if I want to brave some tugging. But, as I usually only shave every other day, 1 blade lasts a week.

I do the pre-shave oil, soap and brush, and aftershave. Shaving has never been so comfortable, and I no longer get ingrown hairs from my curly beard.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

fhohj
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:41 am

Chrispy_ wrote:

More blades? Nope, they just clog.
Aloe strip? Nope, just gunk.
Rubber strip at the front? Not essential but I'm not going to avoid a razor just because it has one.

The 3 or 5-pack of "replacement blades" for fancier razors cost enough that I could by myself a good few years of disposables for the same money.

basically what I used to use as well but I found they just don't make em' like they used to. those blades are just not the same quality now. they aren't like the ones on the mach3s or the fusions either, they were substantially thicker. I just found that after a couple shaves they'd be no good. they wouldn't cut. the blades on a mach3 or fusion could last weeks, but now those disposable blades, just a couple days before being literally almost unsuitable to use.

so I'm in dollar shave club for the humble twin. completely satisfied with it. pretty nice customer service as well.

so look at DSC. it's even cheaper in the States than it is here. and we can't get the soaps either. I'm curious about that soap they call "wanderer", marketing nonsense aside.

absolutely no intentions of switching but you guys should check out that Harry's Razors thing.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:56 am

Arxor wrote:
I've also made the switch in the past year, but I don't know where you guys are buying, because it's pretty cheap!

I got the handle for maybe, $15? A little more than any Gillette starter pack, but not by much.

Then I ordered a grab-bag of around 100 blades (there are a ton of different ones out there) for around $20? I get anywhere from 2 - 4 shaves per blade, and I've got a fairly stiff beard.

Admittedly, I still half-ass it, and don't do the soap-and-brush thing, though I'd like to check it out.

I use the Gillette Mach5 I think....I change the blade about every month.....I do not have the thickest hair...I would say i aam medium on that front.....But shaving cream is for the birds.....still using a 40+ year old Old Spice Shaving cup with a just as old boar hair brush with the Soap stuff..............soap way better than shave cream in my opinion...talk about lasting. I shave 2-3 times a week and the soap lasts well over 6 months."I never ever rinse the cup,you just waste most of your soap then"
I also shave B4 my shower...I know it is harder on the blades but I think it helps you get a cleaner shave along with helping clean your face much better once you minus the stubble from the washing phase.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:20 pm

A couple of years ago I got tired of paying the extortionate prices for cartridges and started buying Meijer house brand disposables instead. They're not *quite* as good as what I was using (Mach 3 Sensor Excel), but they're good enough. I shave by feel in the shower, using glycerin soap (unscented Neutrogena bar).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

druidcent

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:42 pm

I recently switched to a Merkur 35? Double edge safety razor and shaving cream. I used to use the Gillette gel and a Pro-glide razors, but I got fed up with paying about $1 per cartridge when it only lasts a couple weeks. I picked up a 100 pack of razor blades, variety for $10 off of Amazon. I realized the biggest difference in the switch was the shaving cream. One week I had to use an old cartridge stick, but I kept using the same shaving cream. The cartridge shave was almost as good as the razor shave :)

I need to get a brush, and possibly one of those warming bowls for a warm lather.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:51 pm

Oi, you lot are lucky. If I'm on the road (and have to shave every day) that kills a Mach 3 Turbo cart per week. Damn boar bristles sticking outof my face.

I've looked at those safety razors and thought several times about switching. Problem is, there's no "first one free" entrance into that world. It's full buy-in or nothing, and I'd rather try before I buy.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

superjawes

Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:02 pm

Amazon listings.

Looks like you can get one plus blades for $20. The only alternative I can think of--which may be important if you don't want to buy from Amazon--is to essentially buy used. I know of at least one person who inherited one from a grandfather.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:55 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Oi, you lot are lucky. If I'm on the road (and have to shave every day) that kills a Mach 3 Turbo cart per week. Damn boar bristles sticking outof my face.

I've looked at those safety razors and thought several times about switching. Problem is, there's no "first one free" entrance into that world. It's full buy-in or nothing, and I'd rather try before I buy.

superjawes wrote:
Amazon listings.

Looks like you can get one plus blades for $20. The only alternative I can think of--which may be important if you don't want to buy from Amazon--is to essentially buy used. I know of at least one person who inherited one from a grandfather.

I can vouch for the Merkur I've had three different ones over the years. My favorite hands down is the Merkur 34c. You can be a bit more aggressive with it, like against the grain shaves. Normally you'd let the weight of the razor and gravity do the work but sometimes, in some areas, you need to press a bit harder. But if you have a good brush (see below) it helps.

As for blades, honestly it doesn't matter, you only use them two maybe three times and replace them. Just buy the deals, 500 for like 5 bucks.

The brush does make a difference. I like a more stiff brush than a soft one. But stick to anything that's badger hair and you'll be good.

Soaps, are a mixed bag. I stick to all natural ones. Never anything perfumed. My favorite is this. Its made in the US. And it gives my face a fresh feeling and smells good too.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

alloyD
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:13 am

My wife gave me a Merkur safety razor handle as a wedding gift. I've been using it for years and I love it. Previously used a Gillette Fusion, but the safety razor is better IMO.
"The danger lies not in the machine itself but in the user's failure to envision the full consequences of the instructions he gives to it." --Neil Stephenson

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:25 am

That's the Merkur 180. Yes, I have that one too. (I don't use it much, the short handle ones can maneuver a bit better especially around the nose and mouth) As I said before you really can't go wrong with any of the Merkur ones.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:29 am

I did an end run around the Dollar Shave Club and now buy direct the razors and blades they distribute--they are made by http://www.dorcousa.com,a Korean outfit. Cheaper than Gillette or Schick, lots of blade options either cartridge or disposable. They have package deals on sale every day and then you can always find and add an extra 20% coupon and then if you buy up to a certain level free shipping. So overall pretty satisfied although the rubber on the razor handles is soft and deteriorates.

After I bought my first razor they sent me another one with a handwritten note from the "president"; which was pretty impressive marketing.

The only lubricant that does not turn my face into a pepperoni pizza is Burt's Bees shave cream, which I pick up at Target.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:09 am

Neutronbeam wrote:
The only lubricant that does not turn my face into a pepperoni pizza is Burt's Bees shave cream, which I pick up at Target.

I've had bad reactions to enough stuff that I try to stick to the glycerin soap I mentioned a few posts back. I wait until halfway through the shower, so the steam has had a few minutes to soften things up.

If I am not shaving in the shower for some reason, I use Vaseline unscented skin moisturizer as a lubricant and shave only with the grain. (Gunks up the razor, but an old toothbrush takes care of that.)

I've learned from years of experience that deviating from this routine will invariably result in nicks, or (even worse) an outbreak of hives at some point...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

atari030
Gerbil

Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:35 am

Good topic. I had made the experimental switch to a Merkur razor and blades probably ten or more years ago.....prices had gotten so ridiculous with the Gillettes. Takes a small amount of time to learn the techniques, but I enjoy 'the process' of shaving with cake soap and brush for certain. I then just used a beard trimmer for a while and didn't shave, but the new girlfriend has 'motivated' me to get back to using the Merkur :)

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:23 am

At 46 years old I have to say I am very lucky that I am able to shave anyway you can think of.....against and with the grain, across you name it. Plus I can shave over the same spot as many times as needed to get super baby smooth close. I can even pull my skin tight anywhere I like to really get close without getting any razor burn whatsoever, with the exception of me OCD over doing it. I even can do dry shave once I get outta the shower and find a spot I somehow missed. I gave Up the Mach5 recently and back to the old faithful Gillette Mach 3 original that has only 3 wider spaced blades and rinses with ease.
 I have to add I have a huge water softening system from Rainsoft with 2 giant 4ft scuba tank deals with a big Salt tank with a big bypass valve that easily allows you to use public water untreated by your system to fill your pool or anything random outside that might use your system so much that you have to recharge the system more often using up $ you spent on Salt....this really allows my blades to last so much longer then if I had harder water. I recommend if you have hard water to get a water softener, it saves your pipes, water heaters, washer, the amount of soap you need"my public water were I live now in PA is not that hard but when I lived in Delaware with its cancer rate so High from probably Dupont" What really made me a true believer was when I moved the System out of my house in DE to PA they used a strong&thick but flexible white PVC piping in and out of the system. When I cut that piping it was very thick, but the input line to the softening system was stained rusty almost halfway through along with some residue inside the piping....the output piping was like new without any stain or residue whatsoever...you would have thought is was never used at all.

I even shave inside my big nose as best as poss...I do not own a nose trimmer since the razor does a decent job, whatever the razor does not get I use tweezers and boy just plucking one makes my eyes water sometimes, so yes plucking nose hairs hurts me at least LOL
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:32 am

I used safety razors from when I was 16 to about two years ago... when I stopped shaving entirely

I can't imagine using anything other than a safety or a straight 
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:58 am

I've been on the Dollar Shave Club for a couple years. Now that I'm working from home I don't shave as much, so a four pack lasts a couple months. Switching away from shaving cream and going to just moisturizing soap was a game changer. Much easier on the face.

While we're on the topic, can anyone recommend a beard oil? I need to tame these stragglers.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus