Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Star Trek: Discovery

Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:10 pm

Hopefully we can get some interesting discussion going on in here. A decent interview at ComiCon recently: http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-disc ... comic-con/ (there are some spoilers in here if you haven't seen the other series yet)

New series is expected to start Jan 2017 on CBS, CBS All Access (CBS streaming), and apparently Netflix will have each episode ~24 hours after airing.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:16 pm

Unless I missed something over the weekend, Netflix is not carrying the show in the US or Canada.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:20 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Unless I missed something over the weekend, Netflix is not carrying the show in the US or Canada.

Right, sorry, I just forgot to put that part in there. Although, I do kinda wish it were. Netflix is just so easy.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:22 pm

Honestly, I think CBS is going to have to change its mind. Nobody (relatively speaking) is going to pay for another subscription just for this one show. I'm not, anyway.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

greenmystik
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:23 pm

The ship looks like a joint endeavor between the Federation and the Klingons. I know it was mentioned that it shared design points with an earlier ship that was never released, but I'm hoping for some kind of Federation/Klingon show. Those kind of dynamics would make for great storylines. I also hope it is around the TNG era as that was when starfleet was in full exploration mode. There was still many areas of the galaxy not fully mapped in that era.
If practice makes perfect, but nobodies perfect, then why practice?

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:31 pm

greenmystik wrote:
The ship looks like a joint endeavor between the Federation and the Klingons. I know it was mentioned that it shared design points with an earlier ship that was never released, but I'm hoping for some kind of Federation/Klingon show. Those kind of dynamics would make for great storylines. I also hope it is around the TNG era as that was when starfleet was in full exploration mode. There was still many areas of the galaxy not fully mapped in that era.

o.O nice. I'm not personally a huge fan of the Klingon stuff. Or at least they're not my favorite alien race (Go Romulans!/Vulcans!). I haven't seen any indication of the timeline though. I don't necessarily have a preference except that I want it to be after TNG, not before like Enterprise (bah).

Edit: Speaking to Funk and Hawk. I'm invested in Trek enough to pay for it honestly. Luckily, we already have CBS with our cable sub so it shouldn't be an issue for me. I think there are going to be A LOT of people that are willing to pay, too.
Last edited by DancinJack on Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:32 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Honestly, I think CBS is going to have to change its mind. Nobody (relatively speaking) is going to pay for another subscription just for this one show. I'm not, anyway.

This is my problem too. Will not do. Also, is this in the "original universe" retaining the DS9, TNG, Voyager continuity? It was unclear to me from the article.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:56 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
... Also, is this in the "original universe" retaining the DS9, TNG, Voyager continuity? It was unclear to me from the article.

It didn't say it in the article, but he did mention it's in the prime universe. yay!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:22 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:
... Also, is this in the "original universe" retaining the DS9, TNG, Voyager continuity? It was unclear to me from the article.
It didn't say it in the article, but he did mention it's in the prime universe. yay!

Supposedly set "sometime" between ENT and TOS.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

f0d
Gerbil XP

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:36 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

so wait
australia will be getting something on netflix before the US gets it on netflix?!?!?! haha awesome
we still only have around 10% of the shows that the US netflix has but at least i can say "well at least we get the new star trek"

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:40 pm

greenmystik wrote:
The ship looks like a joint endeavor between the Federation and the Klingons.

No, it's a dead ringer for preliminary drawings done for Star Trek: Phase II, the never-produced sequel to TOS, most of which morphed into ST:TMP.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5721854/ralph-mc ... 1976-1977/
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:48 pm

greenmystik wrote:

The Discovery is based on a Star Trek Phase II design my Ralph McQuarrie (who did the concept art on Star Wars: A New Hope).

I do agree that the design may be a bit jarring, though. Hopefully it translates better once the final renders are in.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:21 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

Meh. For science fiction people, you would think they would move the story forward.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:41 pm

Hmmm as much as I like Trek, the way these TV corps are going with subscriptions and netflix, well not sure what they're doing.

I will vote with my wallet.

Mr.Burns says, I will be happier with the dollar!!
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:06 pm

Star Trek: Discovery looks like it is going to be a more faithful reincarnation of "Phase II" then TNG. It is probably because CBS/Viacom just wanted to spend as little as possible on the series to test out their new streaming service. They just went into their archives and pick-up the scripts and other material for "Phase-II".
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:18 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Meh. For science fiction people, you would think they would move the story forward.

If you saw the end of Voyager, well- they basically broke every rule. Invincible ships that can travel the galaxy in minutes? Yeah. That'd be rough to try and built a drama worthy of Star Trek around.

If ENT was the beginning, the first 'Trek', then anything new has to be set after that, and the time between it and TOS is ripe for the picking: war with the Klingons, Romulan intrigue, etc.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:56 am

Airmantharp wrote:
If you saw the end of Voyager, well- they basically broke every rule. Invincible ships that can travel the galaxy in minutes? Yeah. That'd be rough to try and built a drama worthy of Star Trek around.

If ENT was the beginning, the first 'Trek', then anything new has to be set after that, and the time between it and TOS is ripe for the picking: war with the Klingons, Romulan intrigue, etc.

Well, the "crossing galaxy in minutes" was a one-time thing due to the Borg magical subspace tunnels. Those got blown up (along with the Borg, apparently), so they won't be part of the future.

As for invincible ships... well, the Klingons and Romulans have spies, right? "Oh whoops, suddenly everyone is at the same tech level as us again."

I'd like to see them exploring something new, not rehashing old fights with the Klingons and Romulans. Send them through a wormhole to the Andromeda galaxy, or something.

w76
Gerbil

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:23 am

NTMBK wrote:

I'd like to see them exploring something new, not rehashing old fights with the Klingons and Romulans. Send them through a wormhole to the Andromeda galaxy, or something.

I'm with you guys on this one. The Gamma Quadrant is almost 100% ripe for exploration, too. DS9 crew did some prior to the Dominion War, but now that it's over there's a whole quarter of the galaxy that's not well explained. There's been some post-DS9 novels that've done a good job.

Or, like you say, perhaps if we say the whole Milkyway is old stuff, how about an expedition to Andromeda?

Could always do a Dominion War series, or a semi-political drama somewhere, too, but I think the reboot movies have injected too much action already to what should be a more contemplative franchise and wouldn't be able to resist going over the top, and writers probably couldn't help but inject too much modern politics to a political drama (like governing some frontier world), so then it'd start to exclude half the audience.

Speaking of the war, that resets a lot of the traditional areas of space TOS, TNG and DS9 showed us. Cardassia is ruined, a lot of Federation space is wrecked, who knows whats up inside Romulan space after Insurrection, etc. There's also Section 31 likely afoot somewhere, doing things writers could make interesting.

Anyway, I think the limits of the future of the prime universe only exists in imagination. Haven't even mentioned yet the possibility of a show not 100% focused on the Federation. What about a Romulan Tal Shair unit or crew? Could almost weave a whole show about Elim Garak and a new Obsidian Order. Easy enough to write away some of that Voyager finale crap, too.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:55 am

I'd like to hope that they can pick up some of the stuff that was left abandoned or unfinished from ENT, like the Xindi and temporal war.

If it's set after ENT, at least those options aren't off the table.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Kougar

Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:56 pm

NTMBK wrote:
Well, the "crossing galaxy in minutes" was a one-time thing due to the Borg magical subspace tunnels. Those got blown up (along with the Borg, apparently), so they won't be part of the future.

Not quite. Even the Voyager series had begun incorporating slip-stream drives, and if you read the novels that picked up the millions of pieces post the movies, Vesta class slip-stream ships are already replacing losses in Starfleet. As one recent novel put it, it "takes days" to travel between DS9 and the Gamma Quadrant.

NTMBK wrote:

I completely agree. Although there was a lot of statecraft and political intrigue it was exploration that drove most of TNG, not wars. Either make the show about exploration, or make the show about the Romulan War (which takes place literally right after the last season of Enterprise), but please don't mash them together into a giant mess which is what Enterprise turned into. I'd rather have a show focused purely on exploration, but if that isn't possible then a show focused on war and intrigue. But not something that tries to be everything at once, which incidentally was also what held back the first seasons of TNG.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:40 pm

FWIW, I think the only reason people think it's based between ENT and TOS was because of the NCC designation? I'm not sure if that's what Ned was referring to, but that's the only indication i've seen thus far. I also wouldn't necessarily limit it to just that timeline based on the NCC number. There are a few ships that land outside of that convention, so I wouldn't just assume it's so. Of course all speculation is welcome though :)

As long as the aliens are cool, the stories rock, and they don't (all due respect) J.J. Abrams it, I think I'll be OK.

In case anyone hadn't heard yet this new series is going to be taking a continous approach, rather than episodic as most ST has been until this point. I don't really see any issues with that. I just hope the story telling is up to snuff for the episodes that lack action.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:46 pm

DancinJack wrote:
In case anyone hadn't heard yet this new series is going to be taking a continous approach, rather than episodic as most ST has been until this point. I don't really see any issues with that. I just hope the story telling is up to snuff for the episodes that lack action.

To this day people still rake Enterprise S3 over the coals for it, and I guess for a regular broadcast series at a time that pre-dates ubiquitous DVR that's sort of understandable. There's no reason not to have a big overarching story on a streaming service, though.

Kougar

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:14 am

DancinJack wrote:
FWIW, I think the only reason people think it's based between ENT and TOS was because of the NCC designation?

The ship design itself gives most of it away. It clearly looks to fall between Enterprise and ToS in its choice of design elements. The registry number indicates the same. The type of tech displayed on the hull has some ENT, but mostly indicates it's around the ToS era. Personally I'm guessing its going to slot in sometime near ToS right before Kirk enters Starfleet. A few trekkies have already gone crazy with the ship design analysis though if you wonder about the ship. :lol:

DancinJack wrote:
In case anyone hadn't heard yet this new series is going to be taking a continous approach, rather than episodic as most ST has been until this point.

Aye, and I think the series should be stronger for it if they do it well.

My age let me gloss over how neatly wrapped all those 40 minute episodes of TNG were, but by the time Voyager aired it was just blatantly obvious how things would wrap up because of the episode time constraints. I really hated the dreaded "to be continued" text, but at the same time some of the best TNG and other trek shows were those very episodes.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:51 am

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:11 am

On reflection, that ship still looks terrible.

chuckula

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:17 am

Looks like it will be the adventures of Ensign Mary Sue.

And yes, the ship is ugly.

I haven't watched Trek on a semi-serious basis since DS9 and there's nothing here to make me want to change my mind.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:42 pm

chuckula wrote:

I haven't watched Trek on a semi-serious basis since DS9 and there's nothing here to make me want to change my mind.

Amazing contribution, Chuck.

chuckula

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:46 pm

DancinJack wrote:
chuckula wrote:

Amazing contribution, Chuck.

Well, it's better than Wesley Crusher so yeah.

Incidentally, DS9 started out pretty episodic but a few seasons in it had pretty much gone over to a multi-season spanning larger story arc [cough] Babylon 5 with a bigger budget[/cough], so it's not that unprecedented even in Star Trek land.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:01 pm

NTMBK wrote:

Off topic, but this is supposedly the plot of the upcoming Mass Effect game.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:31 pm

NTMBK wrote:

Been there, done that (more or less). The Delta Quadrant was remote enough (i.e. can't get there without exploiting mechanisms that go outside the normal fabric of space-time) that it might as well have been another galaxy.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.