Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:01 am

My issuer's fraud detection algorithm puzzles me. A few times, it has indeed caught fradulent activity. On one occasion, it let through a fairly large fraudulent charge that I would've expected to trip it. Other times (most recently just a couple of days ago) it triggers on completely innocuous charges that fit perfectly with my normal usage pattern. WTF!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:41 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Whereas I get to watch webinars given by the Federal Reserve Bank and the Financial Accounting Standards Board on how the entire accounting basis and structure behind a bank's calculation of its loan loss reserves is changing and how I need to get ready for the mandatory adoption of these rules for fiscal years starting after 12/15/2018. Loan loss accounting. I needed to mainline a couple of espressos just to muster the courage to launch the webinar.

The job of a financial regulator is to toil in boredom, usually in windowless cellars sitting in the semi-broken chairs they can't seem to pitch into the dumpster. Excitement means somebody did something wrong. My last true excitement was two years ago when a corrupt credit union manager got 39 months in Martha Stewart's tennis camp. Judge gave her a lifeline to admit what she'd done at the sentencing hearing but she still couldn't bring herself to tell the truth. I think she got another 12 months because of that.

kinda ironic we're in the same sector... whereas you regulate, i analyze... but the finance i'm involved with is of the asset backed securitization realm...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:17 am

Bloody 'ell, the guy is 86 and still can nail it.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/a4 ... -eastwood/
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:05 am

I hate software vendors. Hate hate hate. This is day of 2 of tech support help desk back and forth about why the hell our data prior to 2016 just isn't....there. They've got someo f it back but the reporting tool isn't work right. Ugh.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:39 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
I hate software vendors. Hate hate hate. This is day of 2 of tech support help desk back and forth about why the hell our data prior to 2016 just isn't....there. They've got someo f it back but the reporting tool isn't work right. Ugh.

lol data rules! DATA DATA DATA!

anyone on this entire site have a job as a Data Scientist? it's a new field that pays very well ($100k+)

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:08 pm

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:54 pm

just brew it! wrote:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7511690

Nice.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:43 am

My phone no longer wants to rotate. Recalibrating it's accelerometer reveals a stuck X axis. Yay for random breakage.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:26 pm

Back here for now.God,Anandtech screwed up their redesign.

The colors make my eyes hurt.Also,the auto-scrolling..wtf?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:34 pm

AMD64Blondie wrote:
Back here for now.God,Anandtech screwed up their redesign.

It's less horrible than the previous attempt. The mobile version was pretty badly busted as of yesterday though. Couldn't view article comments at all.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:54 pm

Joysticks are pissing me off with the realness. My old Cyborg Graphite mostly gets the job done, but the stick slop is getting to me and with NMS imminent and S42 hopefully soon-ish I need to do something about it. Too bad there's nothing on the market that addresses my needs. Saitek's been going downhill since about 2007, and even their good products tended to have slop issues due to that spring-retainer thing they do. I had high hopes for the X-56 but early reviews say it's a big dud. CH Products gets full marks for durability, but dual-barrel gimbal design is antiquated and they're a bit too big and clunky for my little gerbil paws (one reason I've always like Saitek's skeletal design aesthetic). They also don't have a lot of distinct buttons on the stick itself, which is a problem for space sims. Thrustmaster's Warthog comes close, but it's too big for my desk and they cheaped out on the gimbal anyway--underneath all that glorious metal is plastic in the area most likely to break. Why Thrustmaster, why?!?! VKB's Black Mamba would be the stick of my dreams if it had more buttons, but it doesn't because it was made by Russian IL-2 enthusiasts for Russian IL-2 enthusiasts, and their new Gladiator even more so. "Pro" sticks in general just don't have a gaming-friendly feature set, because they weren't designed for games.

Well, I guess that settles it--time to learn how to roll my own. Or at least make a custom stick for a VKB base cause damn, that is one sexy gimbal.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:28 am

I cannot believe the conversation I just had with a coworker. I don't expect normal people to know about FTP stuff, but one would think someone who just got recognized for their fifth anniversary with the company and who has been doing end-user support during that time would understand there's a difference between FTP and SFTP. I'd also hope that they'd know switching the application (which uses SFTP for legacy systems that don't have web APIs) to use one or the other would not cause any additional issues beyond the already-existent connection failure.

Also, if the server name has "SFTP" in it, that seems like a dead giveaway.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:06 pm

Wow, have not been on the old "Loop" section of the Chicago El in decades. Looks just as dilapidated as I remember!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:13 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Wow, have not been on the old "Loop" section of the Chicago El in decades. Looks just as dilapidated as I remember!

I don't even like walking underneath it when in town.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:37 pm

Tim Tebow in the MLB lolz
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

superjawes

Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:38 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Tim Tebow in the MLB lolz

The question on everyone's mind: Will he be better or worse than Jordan?
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:39 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Well yeah then you need to dodge the pigeon poop bombs!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:41 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Well yeah then you need to dodge the pigeon poop bombs!

The falling rusty metal is what's catching my attention.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:16 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
The falling rusty metal is what's catching my attention.

Better falling bits of rusty metal than falling train cars!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:35 pm

Also better than falling out of a ferris wheel.

I guess nobody should be surprised that people are getting upset because news outlets are publishing Olympics results as they happen, but seriously...all tape-delayed sports require avoiding the internet if you want to watch them spoiler free. It's been like that since forever, yet here we are with people griping all over social networks. :lol:

superjawes wrote:
The question on everyone's mind: Will he be better or worse than Jordan?

This should not be a question. I don't think a team will even sign Tebow. I could be wrong, though.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:33 pm

Is Kevin of TR Forums administrator fame still around? A quick check shows he hasn't posted here in nearly three years.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:35 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
=
This should not be a question. I don't think a team will even sign Tebow. I could be wrong, though.
I agree. He might bring in some ticket sales for a AAA club, but IMO the guy is nothing but a distraction. For every organization he plays with, all the press is about him and his cult of Tebow-ness vs. his ability and what he actually brings to the organization. I'm sick of him, and I don't even follow sports.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:30 pm

Vrock wrote:
Is Kevin of TR Forums administrator fame still around? A quick check shows he hasn't posted here in nearly three years.

I don't think so. I did get an e-mail from him a while back, but even that was a couple of years ago.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:34 am

Work posted a picture of ants relating to us being hard workers motivational style. I think i get what they were going for, but i think they might have missed the net on that one.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:18 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Work posted a picture of ants relating to us being hard workers motivational style. I think i get what they were going for, but i think they might have missed the net on that one.

"You do not have the ability to think for yourself; the hive mind rules all. You also may be crushed by the Boots of Doom at any time!"

Redocbew

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:51 pm

New mouse: Mionix Naos 7000. I went looking for one recommended for people with larger hands, because I find most of them to be too small and uncomfortable.

It does have LED lighting, so I guess now I can find my mouse in the dark. Unless the power goes out, or for some reason I turn the PC off, or something, but I like it. Clicky Click Clicky. A lot.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:02 pm

I like hauling brand new fresh equipment.

https://flic.kr/p/K98CQw
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:33 pm

some el cheapo tree trimming going on right now while I drink some Bacardi black. At least the elms ain't scraping the roofs anymore!
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:57 pm

Elms??

'Round here they all died of Dutch Elm Disease back in the 1970s.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:34 pm