Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:42 pm

A couple months ago i spent the entire day goading a trainee into eating some ghost pepper wings. He tried his hardest tears and all. He wanted me to try them, and i lightly touched one of the wings with my finger, then rubbed the sauce off on a napkin, and then licked my finger and said it was too hot for me. :lol: He was furious.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:46 pm

IF I were ever to try this stunt ('cause I love hot stuff), I'd only do it with the glorified McNugget "boneless" wings as that would make it a whole lot easier to keep the sauce off my face (and "face sauce" is where the real pain lies).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:36 pm

I like chilis just fine - I've grown various kinds, including habaneros, for years - but I will never understand the reasoning behind making something like a ghost pepper hot wing. Strikes me as purely a stunt, especially as it renders the food effectively inedible.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:47 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
IF I were ever to try this stunt ('cause I love hot stuff), I'd only do it with the glorified McNugget "boneless" wings as that would make it a whole lot easier to keep the sauce off my face (and "face sauce" is where the real pain lies).

There's a place near here that actually does decent boneless "wings". Actual chunks of chicken instead of the uber-processed chicken product stuff. We don't bother with BWW any more.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:51 pm

So the 2017 Drunk Monk Challenge is history. Life can return to normal now (I'm on the organizing committee, so the past week has been rather crazy). Entries were down slightly this year, but 571 is still a very large competition (and a significant logistics challenge).

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:17 pm

I wouldn't mind getting some cases of that american light lager.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:01 am

Heiwashin wrote:
I wouldn't mind getting some cases of that american light lager.

I imagine many (if not most) people who homebrew Am Light Lager are doing it specifically for competition (i.e. to try winning a medal), since A) the style is kind of a PITA to do on a small scale (there are extra processing steps and potential headaches due to the corn/rice adjuncts); and B) the industrially-produced stuff is cheaper than making it yourself anyway. It tends to be a smaller competition category than, say, IPAs or Stouts though, which means all else being equal you've got a better shot at a medal. (Though we seem to have gotten quite a few entries in the category this year, go figure...)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:10 am

I bet several people thought "hey nobody ever enters that, so I bet I could win a medal"

I just noticed that several icons on the toolbar for the dark forum theme are identical to icons in my day-job mobile app. The notifications, logout, user profile, and members icons all do basically the same thing for our app.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:24 am

Happy Pi Day!!

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:04 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Happy Pi Day!!

/*  pi.c - calculate pi using brute force area of circle approximation
 *  For best results compile with optimization enabled (e.g. in my case -O2
 *  results in a nearly 3x speedup)
 *  Requires support for 64-bit long long data type
 *  You can override the default N (dimension of the grid used for the area
 *  approximation) on the command line.
 */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

#define N 1000000000   // default size of grid

typedef long long ll;
typedef unsigned long long ull;

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    if (sizeof(ull) < 8) {
        fprintf(stderr, "need 64-bit long long!\n");
        exit(1);
    }
    ull n = ((argc > 1) ? strtoull(argv[1], NULL, 0) : N);
    if (n > 0xffffffff) {
        fprintf(stderr, "n too large!\n");
        exit(1);
    }
    ull x;
    ull y;
    ull z = n * n;
    ull a = 0;
    ull x0 = 0;
    for (y = n; (ll) y >= 0; y--) {
        if ((y & 0xfff) == 0) {     // don't spend all our time reporting progress
            printf("\r%5.1f%%", 100.0 - ((double) y / n) * 100.0);
            fflush(stdout);
        }
        a += x0;
        for (x = x0; x <= n; x++) {
            ull d2 = x * x + y * y;
            if (d2 <= z) {
                a++;
            } else {
                // remember where edge of circle was for next row
                x0 = x;
                break;
            }
        }
    }
    double pi = ((double) a / (n * n)) * 4.0;
    printf("\npi ~= %.10f\n", pi);
    return 0;
}

Edit: Added some tweaks that speed things up tremendously, fixed a couple of bugs for large N

Edit 2: Quick explanation... it essentially traces the edge of a quarter circle inscribed inside an NxN grid. Counting points inside the circle yields an estimate of the area, which is then used to derive pi. For speed, the inner loop uses all integer math, use of square root is completely avoided, and we exploit what we know about the shape of a quarter-circle to avoid calculating points that we already know will be inside the circle.

Edit 3: Maximum grid size is 2^31-1 x 2^32-1, and using the maximum grid size it calculates pi to 8 digits of precision in a little under 20 seconds (using one core of an AMD FX-8350). A multi-threaded version is left as an exercise for the reader. :wink:

Edit 4: For Pi Day 2018 I discovered and fixed a bug which was hurting the accuracy of the calculation. Fixed version here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118295&p=1378940#p1378940

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:33 am

It's also Albert Einstein's birthday.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:41 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
It's also Albert Einstein's birthday.

Aw, crap. I forgot to buy him something.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:29 pm

RIP Forerunner 305 2006-2017

I really shouldn't be surprised that it finally died. The battery held up surprisingly well.
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:32 am

I was rear-ended on my way to work yesterday, and I am finding it very odd how Arizona and/or Tucson handle these things. I knew that the police were not staffed to respond to every fender bender, so you are supposed to make sure there are no injuries nor debris on the road, then safely move out of the way. However, I also found out that this kind of accident does not even get a police report. Instead, everything is left to the insurance companies to investigate and settle the claims.

Has anyone else had to deal with something like this?
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:56 am

superjawes wrote:
I was rear-ended on my way to work yesterday, and I am finding it very odd how Arizona and/or Tucson handle these things. I knew that the police were not staffed to respond to every fender bender, so you are supposed to make sure there are no injuries nor debris on the road, then safely move out of the way. However, I also found out that this kind of accident does not even get a police report. Instead, everything is left to the insurance companies to investigate and settle the claims.

Has anyone else had to deal with something like this?

I'm surprised they don't at least accept a police report at the station, even if they don't dispatch an officer. Two party front-to-rear accidents are pretty cut and dried, though. The party that suffered front-end damage is normally at-fault, unless they can produce evidence that the other party did something dangerous or illegal to cause the accident.

I was rear-ended once in rush-hour traffic and it was too busy to stop at the location or gather witnesses. We both pulled off into a parking lot at a nearby side street and exchanged insurance info without involving the police. Front of her car, rear of mine, her insurance company didn't blink once they assessed the damage a couple days later. It wasn't going to go any other way for them.

EDIT -- You can always start a claim with your own insurer as well, just to make sure their lawyers are awake if the other party tries to cause trouble during the claim process. If you have accident coverage, that will also start a self-covered accident claim but you can simply close that one after the other party's insurance has finished repairing or buying out the vehicle.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

superjawes

Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:14 am

ludi wrote:
I'm surprised they don't at least accept a police report at the station, even if they don't dispatch an officer. Two party front-to-rear accidents are pretty cut and dried, though. The party that suffered front-end damage is normally at-fault, unless they can produce evidence that the other party did something dangerous or illegal to cause the accident.

I was rear-ended once in rush-hour traffic and it was too busy to stop at the location or gather witnesses. We both pulled off into a parking lot at a nearby side street and exchanged insurance info without involving the police. Front of her car, rear of mine, her insurance company didn't blink once they assessed the damage a couple days later. It wasn't going to go any other way for them.
Surprised me, too, but I got the information directly from the Tucson Police Department. AND I rechecked a couple times when talking to my insurance.

As far as insurance is concerned, there is a chance that the other driver was not insured (he didn't have info on him), but like you, I think that any agency is going to see that the other driver was at fault.

And since we're talking about it, I recommend taking lots and lots and LOTS of pictures. Get a view of the cars before you move them out of the way, get license plates, insurance cards, the drivers and passengers, and anything else you can think of. Better to have pictures you don't need than have missing information on your claim and/or police report.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:48 pm

I like to recommend videoing the entire after math instead. You can always pull shots from the video.
When drunk.....

superjawes

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I like to recommend videoing the entire after math instead. You can always pull shots from the video.

Also a good recommendation. This ordeal has renewed my interest in dash cams as well (you get some interesting footage from yours).

Redocbew

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:04 pm

So, I just found a check for IE5 in this code I'm working on. Google says IE5 was released March 1999. 18 years ago.

I know some of the other devs here have probably seen much of the same, but yeah... :o
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:08 pm

Old code never dies, and unlike whiskey or fine wine does not get better with age. Wasn't IE5 the last version before MS started at least thinking about being standards compliant?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Wasn't IE5 the last version before MS started at least thinking about being standards compliant?

Which is why IE6 still. won't. die.

Redocbew

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:15 pm

I think so, and yeah it's not so good in there. I did a quick once over and thought "yeah, I'm not going to find anything useful in here"... :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:44 am

You know how you can click not interested on a video on YouTube and put in a reason. I wish I could just select a no clickbait option. It would save me a lot of time cleaning out annoying crap from recommended.
When drunk.....

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:54 am

just brew it! wrote:
Old code never dies, and unlike whiskey or fine wine does not get better with age. Wasn't IE5 the last version before MS started at least thinking about being standards compliant?
My daily work life is inside a network stack based on BSD networking code so Stevens "TCP/IP Illustrated: The Implementation, Vol 2" from 1995 is still our best guide and parts of the code are pushing 30 years old.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:30 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Wasn't IE5 the last version before MS started at least thinking about being standards compliant?

Which is why IE6 still. won't. die.

IE6 used "Quirks mode" by default. IE7 implemented MS's attempt to get standards-compliant and included the Compatibility View switch. Anything that used ASPX forms would get dumped back into CV by default, and the rest of the web was horribly broken on IE for a while, there. :lol:

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:31 pm

Walking my way to the bus stop this morning when I see a bright orange and white piece of paper tucked underneath my car windshield, enclosed in a plastic bag. I was pretty sure that wasn't a good sign. Turns out someone hit my car and ran away earlier this morning. Driver's side mirror is obliterated, damage on the front side of my door and hood. I'm just glad there was a witness who managed to get the make/model/plate # of the vehicle and called the police.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:50 pm

Hope you catch the scumbag
When drunk.....

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:12 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Hope you catch the scumbag

Yeah it's crappy, and given that it's WI I'm more than inclined to believe it was an alcohol related incident. At the end of the day it's now in the hands of the police/insurance. The less I know about the entire situation the better for my mental sanity.

Redocbew

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:26 pm

A while ago I got rear ended on my way home from work. 3 cars involved. I was lucky being that there wasn't any significant damage to my car. The dude in the middle, not so much. The guy who hit us handed me his papers and then took off while I was checking on the guy who got stuck in the middle. I waited until the police got there, then handed the dudes information over to them and let them take it from there.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:08 pm

I have been involved in 2 rear-end collisions -- one as the rear-endee and one as the rear-ender. In both cases, the more massive vehicle was in front and sustained relatively minor damage, with the vehicle behind getting the worst of it (totaled in my case).