Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:18 am

I smell like freshly mixed fiberglass mmmmmmmm mmm.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:07 am

Had a tire blowout by an exit. Lucky for me I needed to take a dump. I walk to a nearby McDonald's that's absolutely buzzing with business.

When I walk in I'm met with mostly elders and cold dead stares that I've come to understand as the polite middle finger. I look up the demographics and this town, Vienna, IL, has a 0.08% black population 97.89% white.

The reason I tend to look this stuff up is an attempt to make sure I'm not misinterpreting the messages being sent. But I rarely get that feeling, and it seems like when I get it I'm always right.

I don't stay where I'm overwhelmingly unwelcome. Guess I'll head straight back.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:37 am

Yeah, things change once you get south of I-80... and beyond I-72/74 you might as well be in the Deep South.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:38 am

Lol i don't take offense at it. If i was born with their genes, meaning temperament and so on not particularly race, and was raised by their parents and grew up in their environment, then i would have no choice but to be the same way.

At any rate i had to send in a picture of the blown up tire to prove it was damaged. I made sure that the tire got it's message across.

When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:42 am

There's also a pretty deep distrust of "city folk from up north" down in the rural central/southern parts of the state. Illinois is schizophrenic.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:14 am

just brew it! wrote:
There's also a pretty deep distrust of "city folk from up north" down in the rural central/southern parts of the state. Illinois is schizophrenic.

I recently spent some time about 30 miles from where Heiwashin mentioned, and can attest to this. Despite being part of the majority demographic, I still felt extremely out of place and often slightly uncomfortable.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:32 am

Ugh, inside tire to boot, so twice the work to replace it.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

captaintrav
Gerbil First Class

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:38 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
In the last 3 days I've dealt with every technology vendor we have for different SNAFUs; our client records vanishing from the cloud based software that we use for client interactions, our printer is broken as hell, and somehow our shared drive decided to reformat itself.

I'm hating technology right now. I need to go play Mad Max or Fallout to remind myself that technology can be fun too :lol:

I primarily work on only broken technology. After 15 years my enthusiasm is quite a bit dampened. Outside of work I usually only watch videos and casually browse some websites. The vendors we have to deal with for engineering focused software are truly awful. One in particular has "new" software that not only insists you need administrator rights to run it, but also that you need to have UAC completely turned off. Thank god for Microsoft's ACT, but shimming the software was still a non-trivial task.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:43 am

Heiwashin wrote:
At any rate i had to send in a picture of the blown up tire to prove it was damaged. I made sure that the tire got it's message across.

That one next to it looks pretty rounded off. How often do big rig tires get changed out?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:24 am

Well most of my drive tires made it 150k+ before the tread got too thin. Blowouts are a little more common than they should be because retreading is more popular than replacement. These are small lowboy tires too and it seems the smaller tires always have more trouble.
When drunk.....

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:27 am

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, things change once you get south of I-80... and beyond I-72/74 you might as well be in the Deep South.

edit: reading comprehension fail. I agree. South of Springfield, east of St. Louis metro east, south of Urbana/Champaign.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Redocbew

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:00 pm

Oh Wordpress, how I enjoy your eccentricities.

Function Reference/update_user_meta

Description
Update user meta field based on user ID.

Use the $prev_value parameter to differentiate between meta fields with the same key and user ID.

Wait, what? Why? Why use the value as if it were a key? Why does it let you do that in the first place? I want to believe I'm reading that wrong, but past experience is telling me otherwise. At least it's not requiring me to do something bad and wrong, but just telling me I can do something bad and wrong if I really wanted it that way. Thanks. That's helpful.

/rant
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Redocbew

Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:23 am

A few weeks ago I bought a Maximus VIII Impact board from Asus which had a whopping $10 MIR. I figured what the hell why not send it in.

I just got an email saying the rebate will be sent as a pre-paid Visa card in the amount of $10 some time within the next 5-7 weeks. Yeah, that's about what I expected. :lol:
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:43 am

Redocbew wrote:
A few weeks ago I bought a Maximus VIII Impact board from Asus which had a whopping $10 MIR. I figured what the hell why not send it in.

I just got an email saying the rebate will be sent as a pre-paid Visa card in the amount of $10 some time within the next 5-7 weeks. Yeah, that's about what I expected. :lol:

This is why I generally don't consider MIRs when making purchase decisions, unless they're for a pretty hefty amount.

That $10 pre-paid Visa card would probably get lost in the piles of crap on my desk, and with my luck would be the type that has an expiration date (which would come and go before I used the card).

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:30 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/28/arts ... hamas.html
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fyre-festiv ... lege-hoax/
https://www.fyrefestival.com/

The organizers are idiots. WTF were they thinking?

Guess they should've named it "Dumpster Fyre Festival"...

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:12 am

Says it was founded in half by Ja Rule. See this is what happens when you get successful at one thing and think it'll easily translate. They advertised it and sold it before even seeing if it was remotely feasible? Give me all the money you guys wasted on that disaster and i'll just put it in an index fund.
When drunk.....

Redocbew

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:55 am

They were thinking "we're so awesome of course everyone will have fun just by being here". Being left to fend for myself is usually what I expect at a festival, but then I like metal where nobody really gives a sh*t anyway.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:32 pm

Redocbew wrote:
They were thinking "we're so awesome of course everyone will have fun just by being here". Being left to fend for myself is usually what I expect at a festival, but then I like metal where nobody really gives a sh*t anyway.

Yup. The key difference being, metal festivals typically don't cost $1,000s of $, and aren't advertised as featuring luxury accommodations and gourmet food (unless you're booking a metal concert cruise, I guess that's a thing).

If the organizers follow through on their promise to issue full refunds to attendees (I wonder how likely that is...), and pay all the contractors (e.g. the charter airline) involved in this debacle and its aftermath, I wonder if they'll have anything left to put on their purported "make up" concert next year? I can't imagine anyone in their right mind fronting them the money to try again after this.

Even the phrase "epic fail" seems woefully inadequate...

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:34 pm

Trump steaks were more successful :lol:
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:45 pm

Closest I've come to being personally involved in a train wreck like that was a local craft beer festival a few years back. My wife, daughter, and I volunteered to do beer brewing demos as part of the fest. Mother Nature had other ideas; the fest was shut down by a massive summer storm, and I ended the day knee-deep in a swamp, helping to extricate a food truck that took a wrong turn and was up to its axles in muck.

At least we had some good beer. :lol:

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:17 pm

JBI wrote:
WTF were they thinking?

Fraud.

Refunds are impossible, they were looking for multi-million bridge loan at ridiculous interest for projected vendor receipts. The cash is gone.

I'm not kidding. Something didn't go "wrong", it was a criminal endeavor.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:48 pm

I was thinking about that too after my index fund comment. I'm sure that somewhere along the line someone loaned them the money that they lost lol. I wonder who's responsible for that.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:43 pm

Glorious wrote:
JBI wrote:
WTF were they thinking?

Fraud.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, i.e. they didn't originally set out to commit fraud, but eventually ended up in that ballpark due to their own inexperience/hubris/incompetence, plus a sincere belief that they're "special snowflakes" who can do no wrong.

IOW, kind of like the Theranos saga translated to the world of music festival promotion, and with a timeline that was compressed by roughly an order of magnitude.

Hopefully they had substantial personal funds invested and don't get to just walk away from this unscathed.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:05 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, i.e. they didn't originally set out to commit fraud, but eventually ended up in that ballpark due to their own inexperience/hubris/incompetence, plus a sincere belief that they're "special snowflakes" who can do no wrong.

Not exactly new. Woodstock was an artistic triumph but a financial disaster (on ticket sales alone), recouped only through the rights sales to the albums and the movie.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:23 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Not exactly new. Woodstock was an artistic triumph but a financial disaster (on ticket sales alone), recouped only through the rights sales to the albums and the movie.

Well, there won't be any album or movie rights to this, as the entire thing got cancelled after many of the attendees were already on-site but before any of the performances took place...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:38 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Well, there won't be any album or movie rights to this, as the entire thing got cancelled after many of the attendees were already on-site but before any of the performances took place...

The whole thing sounds like the pretentious hipster (BIRM) version of "hold my beer & watch this", with the predictable results.

C'mon, Blink182 was your headliner and you were selling $200K stay/eat packages??

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:24 pm

Maybe they could still make a few bucks doing a "how not to run a festival" educational video to be included in college business course curricula. :lol:

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:10 pm

JBI wrote:
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt

I'm not.

At best, the named individuals involved are honest idiots, but the people who took advantage of their naivety weren't. And that's where all the money went.

Like I said, people aren't going to get refunded unless those named individuals somehow go into their own pocket. I wouldn't count on that occurring outside of the inevitable lawsuits.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:33 am

a different tree just hit my utility poles. This is the second time this year. Guess I'm looking at another 1200 or so to repair again, plus whatever it cost to remove the two trees in my backyard. Damn this unseasonable snow
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

superjawes

Mon May 01, 2017 9:24 am

just brew it! wrote:
That $10 pre-paid Visa card would probably get lost in the piles of crap on my desk, and with my luck would be the type that has an expiration date (which would come and go before I used the card).
You can turn those pre-paid Visas into an Amazon gift card balance, which does not expire and can be used directly for Amazon purchases (or even purchases that use Amazon logins for payments).

Doesn't solve the 5-7 week wait, but at least you can cut the physical card out of the equation.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.