Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:02 am

ludi wrote:
Whilst searching for something else job-related, I stumbled upon an official State of Oklahoma regulatory/qualification manual that is published mainly in...Comic Sans.

The payroll department at my employer (a large multi-national corporation with hundreds of thousands of employees) has a form (direct deposit sign-up) that is done in Comic Sans.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:58 am

So almonds are drupes, and not botanical nuts. Okay. But bitter almonds... wtf. Maybe I just plain forgot about them but either way I heard about them today. Around ten to kill a kid and less than fifty for an average adult, and even more potent if accidentally combined with water when making almond milk.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:09 pm

Kougar wrote:
So almonds are drupes, and not botanical nuts. Okay. But bitter almonds... wtf. Maybe I just plain forgot about them but either way I heard about them today. Around ten to kill a kid and less than fifty for an average adult, and even more potent if accidentally combined with water when making almond milk.

Many members of the genus Prunus (which also includes cherries, peaches, plums, etc.) contain cyanide precursors in the pit (seed). It's not normally an issue, since we don't tend to eat the pit.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:14 pm

At first I thought you were making fun of someone by changing one word jbi. Then I realized who. :lol:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Not sure how that happened. I edited the post and it created a new one instead.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:53 pm

A truly groan-worthy (or should that be moan-worthy?) article at Ars: https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09 ... afe-haven/

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:10 am

Actual conversation in the break room with a co-worker earlier this week:

Co-worker: I see you've moved... your desk is over with the <Project X> group now?

Me: Yeah... at least for the time being. Not sure if it's a permanent reassignment or if I've just been "loaned".

Co-worker: Could be worse. You could've been moved to <Project Y> instead! [laughs]

Me: Uhh... actually, I'm supposed to be fixing some issues with the interfaces between <Project X> and <Project Y>. So I'm pretty much working on both.

Co-worker: Oh... sorry.

Life as a software developer in a large corporation. Fun times! At least they pay me reasonably well. :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:00 pm

USB 3.0 micro-B style connector has got to be just about the dumbest connector design ever. I understand why they did what they did (backward compatibility with USB 2.0 micro-B and not enough room to do something clever like they did with the A connector), but damn... what a horrible hack.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:19 pm

Speaking of which i've been very happy with my C connector. I'm using the amazon basics version, cus it seemed to be reasonable quality based on reviews, and i've had no issues even though i occasionally walk on the plug. Considering the walmart ones were only lasting two weeks or so, and this ones lasted at least several months, i'm gonna mark that as a good purchase.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:25 pm

I don't know how much longer i'll have the freedom to fly the way i do, but i better take advantage of it while i can. Phantom pilots have a bad reputation, but they bring it on themselves pretty well.

I wonder if they'll find the guy that did this, or if the guy even knows he did it.

http://abc7ny.com/drone-hits-military-c ... -/2443487/
When drunk.....

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:55 am

This weekend has flown by way too fast.

How did it already get to be Sunday morning?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:42 am

AMD64Blondie wrote:
This weekend has flown by way too fast.

How did it already get to be Sunday morning?

Well, at least I know how that happened in my case. Slept in a little late yesterday, met with a tree and landscaping guy about having some bushes and low tree limbs removed, got some stuff together for the monthly homebrew club newsletter, had lunch (turkey club sandwich from Potbelly), spent the afternoon at this event, hung out at the brewery for a while after the event, came home, surfed the web for a bit, ordered a pizza (Lou Malnatis deep dish anchovy mushroom and onion), ate too much pizza, and lapsed into a food coma (from which I emerged at the crack of dawn when our dog starting whining).

So most of the "how" for me basically comes down to beer and pizza. :lol:

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:51 pm

I was desperately trying to avoid the heat in Merrillville in.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:21 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I was desperately trying to avoid the heat in Merrillville in.

Well, it's 89 & humid here in Burlington, VT. It's 50 in Yellowknife, but I have a feeling your routes don't take you there.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:51 pm

Even though my car is now over 5 years old, I still always try to park a good distance out, and as far away from other vehicles as possible (within reason) to avoid dings and dents from doors.

Despite this, it seems no matter what I do, I can't seem to keep other cars away from me. I could park at the far end of a empty parkinglot, and when I come back outside there will be cars on both sides (and nowhere else). It's almost comical, but I'm past finding it humorous now, and I'm starting to feel like an angry old man.

Does anyone have any ideas for making my car look less inviting? Obviously I'd rather not do anything overly tacky, or that which would attract attention from the cops. I did tint my windows a few months back, but it seems to have had no effect.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:55 pm

Keep the car another 5 years. Then most of the other drivers will be more concerned about getting dinged by you than you will be about getting dinged by them.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:56 pm

There's nothing you can do. I once found a trucker throwing a raving fit, because at a parking lot which was otherwise empty and had a line of trucks parked at a far end, a car managed to park directly in front of his truck. Not only did it park in front of his truck, it actually blocked the lane of traffic for that parking lot. There's nothing you can do.

I don't think i'll ever forget the, you had to be there, moment that the guy came back to his car. In this enourmous empty parking lot with one line of trucks and this guy parked a few feet from his hood the trucker yells at the guy, "couldn't find the car spots huh?!"
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:05 pm

Guy probably wanted to park in the shade, and the line of trucks was the only shade available. :lol:

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:30 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
There's nothing you can do.

Oh, there's something you can do, and it involves a jack, a set of car dollies, some muscle, and a lookout.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:50 am

just brew it! wrote:
Keep the car another 5 years. Then most of the other drivers will be more concerned about getting dinged by you than you will be about getting dinged by them.

Nobody parks next to my 1998 Ford Contour with primer on the roof.

One day I'll find time to finish painting it. The pressure washer did a pretty good job taking off all the loose paint, at least. I have a sprayer and a half gallon of paint. It's just a matter of taping it off so I don't wind up with paint on the trim or windows.

Speaking of which, I pressure washed the deck this weekend. It looks pretty good. Next weekend is set aside to stain it before winter.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:03 pm

Thanks to Amazon's expanding presence in the Denver metro, a coworker just ordered replacement earbud headphones for two-hour delivery...and they showed up later this morning in a brown paper bag. She's pretty giddy about it.

I wonder if the next step in online retail will be this incredible invention where you actually drive to the warehouse and get the product handed over instantly. I vaguely remember something like that in days gone by.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:11 pm

And today we have a trucker that i guess was distracted or something. I don't know. At the time i really was confused by how he was riding the shoulder with his blinker on as if it was intentional.

Side note, this video features a reflection of my drone props. Yes i drive with them on the dash. If you ever see a truck with orange drone props in the windshield it's me. :lol:
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:44 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
If you ever see a truck with orange drone props in the windshield it's me. :lol:

Like most of us can actually see up that far from our cars. :D

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:51 pm

A few people have commented on them but usually at truck stops or shippers where someone is just watching me pull in.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:01 pm

The vid looks like a bit of the old white line fever (you must have seen that movie by now given your profession).

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:02 pm

I've never seen any trucking movies. I'm pretty sure that's a violation of some sort of trucker law but noone's caught me yet.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:07 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I've never seen any trucking movies. I'm pretty sure that's a violation of some sort of trucker law but noone's caught me yet.

I do believe you have trodden in monsieur's bucket.

Smokey and the Bandit?? No??

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:25 pm

Nope :P I have no good excuse. Maybe i should try to watch a few soon.
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:36 am

Start with Smokey. The genre runs precipitously downhill from there. If there's an orangutan involved, blame Sondra Locke and chug a beer or seven.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:02 am

Heiwashin wrote:
The internet suggests Smokey and the Bandit, Convoy, White Line Fever, Duel, Black Dog, and many more:
https://www.truckercountry.com/trucker- ... er-movies/
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2