Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:55 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Deltona, just Northeast of Orlando

Yeah, that's only about 45 minutes up the road. YGPM.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:08 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
Deltona, just Northeast of Orlando

Yeah, that's only about 45 minutes up the road. YGPM.

I'll give you a call once I find out the daily schedule and see when I'll have free time.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:15 am

Apparently one of the structures destroyed by fire in Santa Rosa was the final home of the late caroonist Charles M. Schulz:

http://www.latimes.com/local/california ... story.html

His widow evacuated in time, and most of his work is archived in a museum elsewhere in Santa Rosa, but anything left in the house has quite literally gone ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:06 am

The museum isn't that far away from the fires either. It's just a few miles from here, but fortunately that particular fire hasn't continued to advance southwards that much in the past few days. That was the one I was thinking might cause me trouble as well, but so far it's just been ash and haze and that weird tint in the air which makes everything look orange. Many other people around here were not so lucky.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:38 am

Day one training walked a third of a mile with the one hundred pound motor pushing me forward with about 50 or 60 pounds of force while I was trying to hold it back. It's interesting walking while leaning backwards, however the pain of holding that and my own weight back it's something else. My legs were near the giving out point when I stopped.

Today I'll be flying my wing like a kite all day. I'm gonna try to get a few video cuts of that fun.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:36 pm

Today I flew my wing like a kite, and it flew me like a feather filled ragdoll. Gust of wind yanked me up a few feet and took me for a ride right into another trainees wing. So far this has involved a lot of butt puckering and Tylenol. I forgot the mount for my camera so tomorrow I'll get some vids.
When drunk.....

End User

Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:31 pm

just brew it! wrote:
ludi wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Not being a coffee drinker, I never have to deal with that issue. :wink: Instead I get to whine about lack of non-mainstream beer choices at many restaurants (though this has gotten a lot better in the past few years).

On the plus side, I'm finding that even many local joints and regional chains increasingly stock at least one or two selections from Sam Adams, New Belgium, or both -- in bottles, if not on tap. While those are more in the mainstream than craft, it sure beats finding a row of taps that all end in some permutation of "Li(gh)t(e).

Yup. Not a fan of the SA summer seasonal, but the rest of 'em are generally solid, if a little pedestrian. In New Belgium's case, I don't much care for their flagship Fat Tire, but the rest of their beers range from OK to very good. A lot of places around the Chicago area also have Lagunitas; while technically owned by Heineken now the beers don't seem to have changed much from how they were pre-buyout, so Heineken was apparently smart enough to not mess with success.

If there's a small local brewery on the tap list I generally go with that, unless it's something I know I don't like.

I've avoided this topic because I have no ******* clue what is it about. Is it about coffee and beer? Who the **** is Imi?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:25 pm

End User wrote:
I've avoided this topic because I have no ******* clue what is it about. Is it about coffee and beer? Who the **** is Imi?

Long story. The short version: It's a dumping ground for off-topic (and occasionally off-color) posts. Kind of the "Back Porch of the Back Porch". A lot of the posts do seem to end up being alcohol-related, go figure.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Redocbew

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:32 pm

Speaking of beer and Lagunitas. Brown Shugga is back in season. Wooo!
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:04 am

Redocbew wrote:
Brown Shugga is back in season. Wooo!

Saw it at the local shop. Convince me I should try it?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Redocbew

Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:12 am

Here's it's beeradvocate page...

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/2264/

If you like hoppy beers, then you'll like this one. It's also fairly malty, and at 9.8% ABV and 51 IBU you're generally not going to have more than one. However, I confess to breaking that rule once as a tonic for holiday family drama.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:07 am

Redocbew wrote:
If you like hoppy beers, then you'll like this one Lagunitas.

FTFY! :wink:

(OK, seriously, they do make a few non-hoppy beers; but those tend to be the exceptions. What do you expect from a brewery that has something named Hop Stoopid as one of their most popular beers? :D)

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:55 am

My wife and daughter noticed something interesting the other day. In drug commercials, when they get to the part near the end where they start listing potential side effects, they almost always cut to a scene with a cute dog. If the drug is something that would tend to be taken by senior citizens, there's usually a cute kid too (or instead). The more severe the side effects, the more likely a dog and/or kid will deployed as a distraction.

The Egg

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:22 am

just brew it! wrote:
My wife and daughter noticed something interesting the other day. In drug commercials, when they get to the part near the end where they start listing potential side effects, they almost always cut to a scene with a cute dog. If the drug is something that would tend to be taken by senior citizens, there's usually a cute kid too (or instead). The more severe the side effects, the more likely a dog and/or kid will deployed as a distraction.

Not surprising. Whenever I'm somewhere with broadcast/cable (after not having it for a few years), it's almost startling to see how hard they're targeting senior citizens now. What's more disturbing is that the majority of these ads are attempting to take advantage of, or screw-over seniors in some way. Between the ambulance-chasers, pharmaceuticals, and senior-targeting scams, it's really turning into a cesspool.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:47 am

The Egg wrote:
Between the ambulance-chasers, pharmaceuticals, and senior-targeting scams, it's really turning into a cesspool.

Followed closely by the lawyers trying to take most of the asbestos settlement pool.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:58 pm

I think Bruno rebooted the webserver or something. Site was slow to load for a bit, and upon trying to check out a forum thread I discovered I was logged out. DAMN IT BRUNO!
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:59 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
The Egg wrote:
Between the ambulance-chasers, pharmaceuticals, and senior-targeting scams, it's really turning into a cesspool.

Followed closely by the lawyers trying to take most of the asbestos settlement pool.

and then JG Wentworth to buy out your settlement for pennies on the dollar. And the circle is complete.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:17 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
and then JG Wentworth to buy out your settlement for pennies on the dollar. And the circle is complete.

Are you implying that Darth Vader moonlighted as a lawyer? (emphasis mine)

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:52 pm

Barring any problems tomorrow is the day I fly. I WAS relaxed and confident and today I watched a trainee get a little eager on the way to landing and pull brakes to max way too early. He barely had any forward movement when he hit the ground so I, and the trainer, have no idea how he didn't full stall and break his legs. I've seen people stall for much smaller braking mistakes when landing on YouTube.

On the ass end of that my focus is slightly unbalanced and I had better calm it down so I'm 100% tomorrow.
When drunk.....

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:01 pm

Lately I've noticed that ads may include an asterisk, on a price for example, but never actually bother to tell you what it means. It's just weird, making me aware of the fact there's some sort of catch and then leaving it there.
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:20 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Lately I've noticed that ads may include an asterisk, on a price for example, but never actually bother to tell you what it means. It's just weird, making me aware of the fact there's some sort of catch and then leaving it there.

The explanation is there, at the bottom of the screen. In a 2-pixel-high font.

Redocbew

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:28 pm

Sigh. Another daily WTF of surfing the web. That, video players that autoplay, and email signup popups.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:26 am

Captain Ned wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Are you implying that Darth Vader moonlighted as a lawyer? (emphasis mine)

Those structured settlement trade-in firms are pretty evil, so it's not out of the question. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:35 am

Today I was filling my trucks coolant while it was running, but I forgot to turn off the ac so the fan blasted coolant on my entire upper body. I taste like anti freeze.
When drunk.....

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:08 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Today I was filling my trucks coolant while it was running, but I forgot to turn off the ac so the fan blasted coolant on my entire upper body. I taste like anti freeze.

At least it wasn't DEF.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:47 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

At least it wasn't DEF.

By the way my training ends Friday so I'm good for something this weekend.
When drunk.....

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:51 am

I feel badly for people with a last name pronounced like "wolf". I was in meetings with a guy with such a last name, and one person kept saying it "Mr. Woof" like he's a dog.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:22 am

Aw, crap. Gord Downie's brain cancer finally caught up with him.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/go ... -1.4359906

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Aw, crap. Gord Downie's brain cancer finally caught up with him.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/go ... -1.4359906

Yeah, a little disturbing to see so many who are of my approximate age passing.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:54 pm

Changing the subject, apparently there was a meeting today where the importance of "solutioning" and being a "solutioner" were mentioned. I figure I dodged a bullet there; how many points do you figure I would've lost off of my IQ if I'd attended that meeting (and actually paid attention)?