Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:25 am

just brew it! wrote:
Had something weird happen last night. A bunch of co-workers were going out for pizza and beer after work, and I decided to join them. I was allergic to something; I'm guessing maybe a substance on the rim of the beer glass. My lower lip started to itch, and swelled up. I was starting to seriously consider finding a nearby drugstore to get some Benadryl, but then it started to go down on its own. No other (i.e. respiratory) symptoms, which is what leads me to believe it was a very localized thing.

That's my reaction to mango skin. I can eat the inside of the fruit just fine, but if any amount of the skin comes into contact with my lips they'll do precisely what you describe.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:30 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Had something weird happen last night. A bunch of co-workers were going out for pizza and beer after work, and I decided to join them. I was allergic to something; I'm guessing maybe a substance on the rim of the beer glass. My lower lip started to itch, and swelled up. I was starting to seriously consider finding a nearby drugstore to get some Benadryl, but then it started to go down on its own. No other (i.e. respiratory) symptoms, which is what leads me to believe it was a very localized thing.

That's my reaction to mango skin. I can eat the inside of the fruit just fine, but if any amount of the skin comes into contact with my lips they'll do precisely what you describe.

Mangoes are related to poison ivy, and contact with the leaves or skin of the fruit can cause reactions in susceptible people: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mango#Pot ... dermatitis
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:43 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
My guess is it had a drop off the concentrated cleaner used in automated dishwashers.

That sounds plausible.

Was it a frosted glass, by any chance? A couple months ago I was in an Oklahoma barbecue joint and was served a frosted glass of Blue Moon that kept giving me overtones of soap. At the time I thought maybe it was a bad keg. Less than a week afterward I discovered an article recommending against frosted glasses in restaurants because they tend to be put in the freezer while still damp from the wash cycle, which can trap soap or santizer residue on the glass. Go figure.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:55 pm

ludi wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
My guess is it had a drop off the concentrated cleaner used in automated dishwashers.

That sounds plausible.

Was it a frosted glass, by any chance? A couple months ago I was in an Oklahoma barbecue joint and was served a frosted glass of Blue Moon that kept giving me overtones of soap. At the time I thought maybe it was a bad keg. Less than a week afterward I discovered an article recommending against frosted glasses in restaurants because they tend to be put in the freezer while still damp from the wash cycle, which can trap soap or santizer residue on the glass. Go figure.

It was not a frosted glass, but in an odd coincidence, the beer was indeed Blue Moon! :lol: (Not normally one of my go-to beers, but someone had already bought a couple of pitchers of it by the time I arrived.)

Interestingly, Belgian White style beers do tend to have some coriander in them in addition to the hops, and some people (it's a genetic thing) perceive coriander as "soapy". Have you ever noticed a soapy character from other Belgian White beers, or foods containing coriander/cilantro? (Cilantro is the leaves of the same plant that produces the seeds we call coriander.)

Speaking of residue, that is one of my pet peeves. Some bars give each glass a sanitizer rinse just prior to pouring a beer. While I appreciate their concern for my health, if they don't shake the excess sanitizer residue off before filling the glass you can smell and taste it in the beer. "Mmmm... I'm picking up notes of toasted malt, citrusy hops, and food service sanitizer!"

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:59 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Interestingly, Belgian White style beers do tend to have some coriander in them in addition to the hops, and some people (it's a genetic thing) perceive coriander as "soapy". Have you ever noticed a soapy character from other Belgian White beers, or foods containing coriander/cilantro? (Cilantro are the leaves of the same plant that produces the seeds we call coriander.)

I've not had issues with either coriander or cilantro, although if I deliberately start sorting flavors in my nose while eating cilantro leaves I can pick out the soap-like compounds. Pretty sure the glass was not fully rinsed before being frozen, I had eaten at the same place the night before and the drink was fine.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:04 pm

ludi wrote:
I've not had issues with either coriander or cilantro, although if I deliberately start sorting flavors in my nose while eating cilantro leaves I can pick out the soap-like compounds. Pretty sure the glass was not fully rinsed before being frozen, I had eaten at the same place the night before and the drink was fine.

Another pet peeve is places that frost the glasses, but set them right side up in the freezer straight out of the dishwasher, resulting in an ice disk in the bottom of the glass. So the beer comes you you with what amounts to a flat, wide ice cube (presumably made from dishwasher rinse water) floating in it. :evil:

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:12 pm

real connoisseurs (read morbid alcoholics) drink the (hand) sanitizer straight from the tap. :)

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:17 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Back when I worked in an office, we had a bottle of ibuprofen. Not sure what happened to it, but every time I took some from there my lips would swell and I'd have to take Benadryl. Only happened twice before I caught on and started keeping my own there.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:24 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Mangoes are related to poison ivy, and contact with the leaves or skin of the fruit can cause reactions in susceptible people: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mango#Pot ... dermatitis

Interestingly enough, I am effectively functionally immune to poison ivy. I get a reaction similar to that from mango skin: the skin swells and reddens slightly, itches for about 20 minutes, the itching and swelling fade. The redness disappears within a few days.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Glorious wrote:
real connoisseurs (read morbid alcoholics) drink the (hand) sanitizer straight from the tap. :)

The sanitizer used for glassware is typically iodine-based, not alcohol-based. At least I'll never need to worry about getting goitre! :lol:

(The aroma of iodine-based sanitizers is somewhat reminiscent of bleach, but not as "sharp".)

derFunkenstein wrote:
Back when I worked in an office, we had a bottle of ibuprofen. Not sure what happened to it, but every time I took some from there my lips would swell and I'd have to take Benadryl. Only happened twice before I caught on and started keeping my own there.

Well that's a little scary. Either it was some horrible knock-off ibuprofen produced in a third-world factory with lax QA, or had been contaminated in some way.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:51 pm

It didn't affect anybody else, and my experience didn't dissuade people from taking it. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Have a new Monoprice Mini Delta 3D printer chugging away in the corner of the office now. Hackaday gave it an excellent review back during the summer, and Friday it was on sale for cheap enough that I figured it was worth it even just for the learning opportunity and experience. Setup was simple, onboard interface is pleasantly straightforward. Haven't tried the wireless printing yet, but that'll wait until it's done with the provided test print file. Cool to watch, remarkably fine filaments of plastic being laid down so quickly.

In a worst-case scenario (i.e. I decide I hate it even after the return period has passed), I can always sell it used and recoup some of the cost. In a best-case scenario, I can start printing tiny green toys for my kid during the school day and then feigning ignorance as to where they come from.

Let me know what you think. I've been tempted by that one too. My wife does all sorts of crafting with 2d CNC (aka Cricut or Sillhouette) and I have many small ideas for day-to-day stuff that would be cool.

I've used the printer enough to be able to give at least a "first impression" reply. So far, it seems pretty good.

From left to right, the sample print made from the file provided with the printer, as 2x2 Lego brick, and a "Green Lantern" ring for my kid. For scale reference, that cat is 4.73 cm high.

I've printed other stuff as well, some of which has either failed or simply hasn't been quite right. I'm very new at this, so it took me a little while to start to understand the relevance of things like nozzle and bed temperature settings, infill, etc. when I want to get the output to look like it's supposed to. I'm getting better at it, and I haven't wasted much filament.

The on-device interface is good: the menus are basic but clear, the controls are straightforward, and everything works.

The printer has a network interface, hosting a simple webpage where you can monitor/control the temperatures and copy+paste GCode to be printed directly. The temperature control and monitoring works fine, but I have been unable to get anything to print via the web interface - it'll just say that it's loading, the printer screen will show "downloading", but nothing ever happens.

Rather than ferry a microSD card back and forth from a computer to the printer every time I want to print something, I've set up Octoprint on a spare Raspberry Pi, connected it via the supplied USB cable, and that works great. It's what I'll be using going forward, since it seems to handle everything very nicely.

There is ZERO issue getting prints to adhere to the bed - it's actually the opposite, it can be very difficult to get prints off the bed, especially if they're not very high and I can't get good leverage. I've been using a razor blade to very carefully get between the print and the bed surface and start to lever them apart, and after some careful work with that I can usually get the rest by hand.

Lessons learned so far:
  • I like Cura better than Slic3r. Cura is a lot easier for me to understand, as a newcomer.
  • A little bit of filing/trimming can be necessary. The ring is an example of that - it's actually three parts, with room inside for an LED and a coin cell. The parts wouldn't fit together right off the printer, and so I took a file to the mating edges for a few seconds apiece to get that taken care of. Not a big issue.
  • Very thin surfaces above and parallel to the bed surface don't always print cleanly. There can be some fouling in the running of the filament. So far nothing that has been cause to toss a print into the recycling, but it's something to keep track of.
  • PLA Legos are a bad idea. I'm printing in the bright green PLA that you see in the photo above, and it works well. But PLA is harder and more brittle than ABS (which is what Legos are made from), and if you try and snap together a PLA block and a real Lego it visibly scrapes down the surface of the Lego. The printer can handle ABS, so I'll pick up a spool of that at some point, relocate the printer to the garage (it has a very useful carrying handle) so as to avoid the fumes problem, and try the Lego tests again.

Hope this is useful to you, Usacomp2k3. If anyone has a question or wants me to try printing something, please let me know.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:02 am

I wonder what this could be?

If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:27 am

PLAY "FREEBIRD!"

PerfectCr
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:53 am

I have nothing of value to add other than to say I am happy to see this thread still going after all these years! :D
Ryzen 5 1500X | MSI B350M MORTAR | MSI Radeon RX 570 GAMING X | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define Mini C | Dell SE2717HX | Xbox One X

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:08 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
I have nothing of value to add other than to say I am happy to see this thread still going after all these years! :D

Dam son. Returned to the ring!
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

PerfectCr
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
PerfectCr wrote:

Dam son. Returned to the ring!

Yeah work has been busy last few years with projects, travel, and moving across the country 3 times :)
Ryzen 5 1500X | MSI B350M MORTAR | MSI Radeon RX 570 GAMING X | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define Mini C | Dell SE2717HX | Xbox One X

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:14 pm

I had a higher-end microwave meal for lunch yesterday (if there is such a thing), and it came with a Sriracha sauce packet. I like spicy foods, but never tried much of that particular brand (I don't partake in table condiments at restaurants). While the taste was alright, it made my whole place smell as if someone wasn't able to make it to the bathroom. Had to leave the windows open for a good hour.

......and I should've trusted my nose, as this morning I nearly didn't make it to the bathroom myself. :(

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Speaking of microwaves, I'm just gonna leave this here: https://nypost.com/2017/12/08/man-cemen ... -expected/

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:25 pm

That's a near miss on a Darwin Award. Fortunately(or unfortunately) I'm thinking the odds are good for this person next time.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DancinJack
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:00 am

The Egg wrote:
I had a higher-end microwave meal for lunch yesterday (if there is such a thing), and it came with a Sriracha sauce packet. I like spicy foods, but never tried much of that particular brand (I don't partake in table condiments at restaurants). While the taste was alright, it made my whole place smell as if someone wasn't able to make it to the bathroom. Had to leave the windows open for a good hour.

......and I should've trusted my nose, as this morning I nearly didn't make it to the bathroom myself. :(

You should try "real" Sriracha. It's pretty good for what it is. Dump some in a bowl of pho and go to town. It's not that hot so don't expect miracles, but it adds a nice little kick. (keep in mind I have no idea what you think is hot, but I love spicy foods and rarely find stuff TOO HOTTTTTTTTTTTT)

https://www.amazon.com/Huy-Fong-Chili-S ... B0014CSG5Y
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:52 am

DancinJack wrote:
The Egg wrote:

You should try "real" Sriracha. It's pretty good for what it is. Dump some in a bowl of pho and go to town. It's not that hot so don't expect miracles, but it adds a nice little kick. (keep in mind I have no idea what you think is hot, but I love spicy foods and rarely find stuff TOO HOTTTTTTTTTTTT)
https://www.amazon.com/Huy-Fong-Chili-S ... B0014CSG5Y

I'm generally good with anything up to the manhood-measuring competition stuff. I've seen Sriracha in resturants many times, but the nature of opened table condiments kept me away. Unfortunately my stomach hasn't been very robust as of late, so while spice alone won't necessarily cause issue, if there's anything at all "off" (or containing milk products other than cheese), there's a fair chance it will cause problems.

I'll keep other's affinity for Sriracha in mind, but can't say I'm in any big hurry to try it again soon.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:05 am

Sriracha is a bit like fish sauce in that it's suspect if it doesn't stink.

I love the stuff, but it does make you pay for it every now and then. Fortunately it's never done that for me on the back end, but only up front.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

farmpuma
Silver subscriber
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:31 am

Captain Ned wrote:

I'm gonna go with some sort of squeeze box. I have cousins who use to play.
Image Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:34 am

farmpuma wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

It is not a functioning musical instrument (or a non-functioning one, for that matter).

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:50 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
farmpuma wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

It is not a functioning musical instrument (or a non-functioning one, for that matter).

Hmm...... Yeah, the keys aren't functional, and there's no speaker, because the area that appears to be a grille is actually sealed. It has buttons that appear to be for sound adjustment, but those are likely for show as well. I'm gonna go with some sort of prop for a set.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:53 pm

Farmpuma is close, in a way.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:28 pm

Looks like an accordion-styled refrigerator. Or maybe a smoker box. Something kitschy kitchen, anyway.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:48 pm

The kitchsy part is correct, but it's got nothing to do with the kitchen.

Farmpuma described it correctly. See if this helps:

DancinJack
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:20 pm

https://www.etsy.com/listing/560684190/ ... -accordion

edit: obviously it's nowhere near as kitschy, but maybe the same purpose?
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100