Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:50 pm

All this apple talk, and no one mentions the Gravenstein. That's just sad.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:55 pm

Redocbew wrote:
All this apple talk, and no one mentions the Gravenstein. That's just sad.

I think that's mostly because people don't really eat them like we're talking about? Chances are most of us have never just picked up a Gravenstein and bit into it.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Redocbew

Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:57 pm

Yeah I bet that's true for a lot of things. The first time I had a tomato that wasn't store bought I almost didn't know what I was eating.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Kougar

Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:51 pm

You guys are making me curious about them apples. There's a single fancy HEB in town that stocks practically all varieties of everything produce. Last time I was there it was hard to miss the 15-something kinds of apples, but I didn't know anything about them other than the Granny Smith's and didn't want to end up with cooking apples.

Redocbew wrote:
Yeah I bet that's true for a lot of things. The first time I had a tomato that wasn't store bought I almost didn't know what I was eating.

I'll second that with heirloom variety tomatoes. Some of the grape varieties are incredibly juicy and so full of rich flavor when baked on a pizza it's amazing.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:06 pm

Yeah, there are quite a few delicious tomatoes too.

HEB owns. I lived in TX for a while and loved my local HEB. It was pretty ridiculous though. It had everything.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Kougar wrote:
I'll second that with heirloom variety tomatoes. Some of the grape varieties are incredibly juicy and so full of rich flavor when baked on a pizza it's amazing.

I find any tomato tastes so much better when freshly picked. They're sweet, acidic (but not like a citrus) and delicious. The heirloom varieties taste better in general, though, since they're not bred for shelf life.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:04 pm

We grow lots of tomatoes, and there's very little that's better than a fresh, home-grown one. More than we can eat when they're ready to go. We give them to neighbors and sometimes get cucumbers or green peppers in return.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:54 pm

I like my tomatoes slightly dehydrated if possible. So they have a firmer texture and aren't so watery.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:29 pm

At your local Sam's Club, you'll find "Campari" tomatoes--these are packaged with part of the vine attached to the fruit. The flavor is much more like home-grown tomatoes than you'll find from the Ruskin tomatoes that are most common in supermarkets.

The Ruskin tomato is notable for having an extremely thick skin. They pick them completely green (without ANY orange or red on the fruit) and load them up by the truckload. Any fruit that accidentally ripened enough to develop a hint of orange color is offered to locals for "U-Pick" by the bushel. Ruskin tomatoes are tough enough to survive the rough handling from packaging and shipping. A nice ripe home-grown tomato would be squished to juice and would rot before it made it to the supermarket shelf.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:37 pm

Thankfully my local Hannaford stocks true certified Pastene DOP San Marzanos. In VT, for all but about 2 months, the San Marzanos are a better choice.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:14 pm

If anyone ever needed confirmation that Carol Burnett simply owned TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-tAyQAS6JY

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:26 pm

We've been growing a small plot of heirloom tomatoes in a raised bed for the past several years. Way better than anything you can buy at the store. A lot of them don't even look anything like what we've been conditioned to think of as "tomato". Different colors and shapes, stripes, etc...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:34 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
If anyone ever needed confirmation that Carol Burnett simply owned TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-tAyQAS6JY

Holy crap, how was I not aware of this before? That's great. When did this originally air? I'm assuming during (or shortly after) TOS's original network run.

She's got Shatner down cold. :lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:45 pm

just brew it! wrote:
When did this originally air? I'm assuming during (or shortly after) TOS's original network run.

She's got Shatner down cold. :lol:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0536554/plo ... _=tt_ov_pl

Looks like the second-ever episode of The Carol Burnett Show sometime in 1967.

Uhura is what makes the whole bit work.

EDIT: Above is all wrong. Further research implies it's from one of the many reboots of TCBS and is from 1991.

https://futurism.media/carol-burnett-s- ... ersonation

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:19 pm

So maybe there's another one from 1967? Enquiring minds want to know!

Kougar

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:05 pm

Anyone want a KC-97 nose section for $97? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 352832673/

That thing would make for a great carport over the driveway... :P

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Hmmm i do have the means to transport it :p
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:50 pm

Evidently... I haven't been in the DYMT forum since Jan 01, 2014.

I had yet to post in the new and improved DYMT (Now, Imi's Legacy) up until now.

So... how's y'all doin'?

I think I may have a bit of catching up to do...

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:37 pm

Kougar wrote:
Anyone want a KC-97 nose section for $97? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 352832673/

That thing would make for a great carport over the driveway... :P

Yes I do. Too far away though.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:51 pm

krazyredboy wrote:

I had yet to post in the new and improved DYMT (Now, Imi's Legacy) up until now.

Welcome back!

krazyredboy wrote:
So... how's y'all doin'?

Not bad, for having just endured a week of sub-zero cold. Temperatures are finally solidly back in the positive range.

krazyredboy wrote:

Indeed. Better get crackin'!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:03 am

krazyredboy wrote:

So... how's y'all doin'?

You have a valid excuse, with all your PC construction projects going on.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:17 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
krazyredboy wrote:

So... how's y'all doin'?

You have a valid excuse, with all your PC construction projects going on.

Yeah, but that was only for several months... I hadn't posted in over 4 years! Plus, now that I've been homeless for 7 months, I can't use the "I'm building something, so I'm too busy" excuse.

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:20 pm

just brew it! wrote:
krazyredboy wrote:

Welcome back!

krazyredboy wrote:
So... how's y'all doin'?

Not bad, for having just endured a week of sub-zero cold. Temperatures are finally solidly back in the positive range.

krazyredboy wrote:

Indeed. Better get crackin'!

Thanks!

Glad you made it through the blizzard.

Yep. I need to start contributing again. So I'll try to be a bit more vigilant again.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

krazyredboy wrote:
Yeah, but that was only for several months... I hadn't posted in over 4 years! Plus, now that I've been homeless for 7 months, I can't use the "I'm building something, so I'm too busy" excuse.

Yikes, that sucks. Also valid. :o

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:47 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
krazyredboy wrote:

Yikes, that sucks. Also valid. :o

It sucks, but I'm getting along. In fact, I'm trying to make the most of it by staying busy with work and attempting to pocket what used to be my rent. I've been wanting to buy a house for the last couple of years, so the couch surfing and living out of my truck should help me toward that goal. However... I live in Monterey, California. The average home is over 500k, for a small house. So... I still need to save up a bit longer.

At least I'm in decent spirits. And my company is finally having me travel about again, so I get to utilize hotels a little more often!

The Egg

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:40 am

I know I've complained about it before, but I still don't understand how Dunkin coffee can be decent one time, and then complete garbage the next. Same people, same equipment, same beans, same everything --- during peak hours (so it's not sitting). I just don't get it.

I rarely drink the stuff now, and even with a diminishing sample size, their failure rate approaches 50%.

krazyredboy
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:27 am

The Egg wrote:
I know I've complained about it before, but I still don't understand how Dunkin coffee can be decent one time, and then complete garbage the next. Same people, same equipment, same beans, same everything --- during peak hours (so it's not sitting). I just don't get it.

I rarely drink the stuff now, and even with a diminishing sample size, their failure rate approaches 50%.

I would venture to guess it may be due to the staff. I mean... they work at a Dunkin Donuts... you're bound to have more bad days than good, when it comes to outlook and quality of life...

... then again, I say the exact same thing about my job, every day. And... every time I have a donut... which is never only just one donut when I do... which may or may not have an added effect on my outlook... and actual look...

The Egg

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:59 am

krazyredboy wrote:
I would venture to guess it may be due to the staff. I mean... they work at a Dunkin Donuts... you're bound to have more bad days than good, when it comes to outlook and quality of life...

I getcha, but at this point it should be so ingrained in muscle-memory that they can do it within 1% tolerance while blindfolded and juggling flaming torches. I would almost expect it to take more brainpower to break from their autopilot routine.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:08 am

Not to mention that the coffee is probably also pre-measured. I worked in a restaurant for several years while I was trying to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. The vendor had taken care of everything from picking out the machines we used to how much coffee when into each batch. The coffee was in packets that you opened and poured into the filter. No measuring required.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:19 am

My best up front guess, almost certainly pot cleanliness. 10 to 1 they're leaving in old, overheated and burned dehydrated coffee at the bottom when they make a new pot sometimes.
When drunk.....