Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:26 pm

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/paul-alle ... s-sinking/

Paul Allen (and crew) has found the wreck of CV-2 USS Lexington, lost at the Battle of the Coral Sea one month before Midway. From the condition seen in the pictures it's pretty obvious that the dissolved O2 content of that water is near zero.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:48 pm

That image quality is fabulous.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:49 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
That image quality is fabulous.

Well, he can afford the very best in equipment.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:57 pm

Took a flyer on a CM MasterKeys S tenkey-less keyboard for my study desk (as opposed to the one I work at all day down the hall...working from home can be a pain in that regard). I got the one with MX Red switches since Amazon was out of both Brown and Blue, figuring I could send it back if I didn't like it.

I'm glad I did. The Reds feel nice. I think I might like the non-tactile feel better than the browns in my work office.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:04 pm

I use blues + o-ring mod here. I'm still getting used to the split keyboard thing. The spacing inbetween each half of the keyboard changing from time to time seems to throw me off more than I thought it would, or maybe having the same keyboard forever means I'm going to type like an idiot until I'm finished unlearning the old layout. Overall I like it though. The keys feel good, and I guess I always made a lot of noise when I type, because I can't really tell the difference between this one and the old keyboard.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:09 am

Some genius at corporate just created a company-wide Slack announcements channel last night. 200K+ members, and you can't unsubscribe. Direct posting disabled but you can post replies (and emoji reactions) to existing messages. What could possibly go wrong?

There are already complaints about it pegging CPU and causing network disconnects in the Slack client.

Best reply so far: "PLEASE STOP CLICKING REPLY ALL"

:lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:12 am

just brew it! wrote:
There are already complaints about it pegging CPU and causing network disconnects in the Slack client.

Ve ViLL make it run as crappy as Notes.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:17 am

Redocbew wrote:
I use blues + o-ring mod here. I'm still getting used to the split keyboard thing. The spacing inbetween each half of the keyboard changing from time to time seems to throw me off more than I thought it would, or maybe having the same keyboard forever means I'm going to type like an idiot until I'm finished unlearning the old layout. Overall I like it though. The keys feel good, and I guess I always made a lot of noise when I type, because I can't really tell the difference between this one and the old keyboard.

There's a big difference between the browns in my work keyboard and the reds in the new one. I didn't think there was much difference between the brown and my old rubber dome switches when I first switched, but now that I'm off the browns for a period, it really does make a big difference.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:40 am

just brew it! wrote:
Some genius at corporate just created a company-wide Slack announcements channel last night. 200K+ members, and you can't unsubscribe. Direct posting disabled but you can post replies (and emoji reactions) to existing messages. What could possibly go wrong?

:lol:
When I worked at Cisco there were similar email list addresses that had large chunks of the company (e.g. all of engineering) subscribed by corporate. About every 9 months or so an email would be sent and chaos would ensue. Plenty of "Why am I on this list?", "Please remove me from this list", "Stop replying all", "Use bcc:" etc replies. Things would then start getting nasty with comments on how those doing reply all were clearly not in the top 10% performers in the company (stacked ranking was used in performance appraisals). Once the thread was truly on fire then cookie recipes would start being posted. At that point IT would finally take down the email servers and spend the rest of the day cleaning up the mess. :D

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:54 pm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... mas-fiasco

If you guys remember that Fyre Festival disaster from a year ago, yeah, they got him for fraud.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:49 pm

This is CISCO the tech company?? Even it has that BS happen?
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:31 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:

Tech companies are often surprisingly bad at using tech in their own business.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:37 pm

...and the global announcements channel lived for less than 24 hours. It just disappeared from my Slack workspace.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:36 pm

and there was much rejoicing.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:37 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
and there was much rejoicing.

The minstrels got what was coming to them.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:33 am

just brew it! wrote:
paulWTAMU wrote:

Tech companies are often surprisingly bad at using tech in their own business.

Expanding on this, I think there are multiple reasons this can happen:

1) Tech companies tend to have a lot of tech enthusiasts *ahem* engineers *ahem* nerds working for them. So there's an "Ooh, shiny!" factor, where some cool-sounding new tech gets jumped on even if it is a solution in search of a problem.

2) All the technically competent people are working on building/fixing whatever product it is the company sells, so internal infrastructure/IT gets neglected.

3) The "eat your own dog food" principle. (Variations: Beta- (or even alpha-) testing your products by forcing your own employees to use new versions before they are production-ready; requiring the use of an in-house product even though a 3rd party product is a better fit.)

4) Being stuck on an old platform/API because a critical application is incompatible with newer ones and never got ported forward (things that rely on legacy versions of Windows, Java, etc.)

5) Some combination of the above.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:05 am

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:08 am

There's also:
6) Once companies get successful people join them because they want some of that success.

7) In a sufficiently large enough company, there are plenty of places for weak performers to hide.

If you add stacked ranking in then you can end up with pathological behaviours where weak performers are kept around and strong ones are let go to make the favoured staff look even better.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:21 am

notfred wrote:
If you add stacked ranking in then you can end up with pathological behaviours where weak performers are kept around and strong ones are let go to make the favoured staff look even better.

I've seen places where people get shuffled from project to project, to find something they're actually capable of doing (or where they will cause the least damage).

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:44 am

I once had the misfortune to come across a manager who was way out of his depth. It turned out that as a developer he was notorious for going in to the lab and breaking stuff. He was made a manager because only developers went in to the labs, managers didn't. That way the rest of the team could get some work done. :o

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:16 am

notfred wrote:
I once had the misfortune to come across a manager who was way out of his depth.

Only once? That stretches the limits of credibility, given that you've been in the industry a while. :wink:

notfred wrote:
It turned out that as a developer he was notorious for going in to the lab and breaking stuff. He was made a manager because only developers went in to the labs, managers didn't. That way the rest of the team could get some work done. :o

I've seen that, but I've seen the reverse too: good developer gets promoted to management because they seem to have a clue, so "let's put them in charge of the other developers".

This can work out well or badly, depending on the situation and the temperament of the person. In one case, said manager actually threatened to quit unless he was giving a demotion, because he hated doing "manager stuff" so much. In another case, the person ended up being a decent manager, mostly because he went out of his way to avoid doing the kinds of stupid things previous managers had done that pissed him off.

Oh, and the one who hated being a manager so much would still go into the lab and break stuff. Very good software developer, but you needed to keep him far away from lab prototypes because he would do things like wire the power backwards (and let the magic smoke out). :lol:

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:09 pm

just brew it! wrote:
notfred wrote:
It turned out that as a developer he was notorious for going in to the lab and breaking stuff. He was made a manager because only developers went in to the labs, managers didn't. That way the rest of the team could get some work done. :o

I've seen that, but I've seen the reverse too: good developer gets promoted to management because they seem to have a clue, so "let's put them in charge of the other developers". This can work out well or badly, depending on the situation and the temperament of the person.

That describes one of my friends, about five years ago. The promotion wasn't asked for and was gratefully relinquished when the company realized his people skills were, shall we say, not so good. As a developer, he was (and still is) happy enough to either fix things himself or kick them back up to management so the culpable dev team can catch heat. As a manager, he wanted to kill most of the developers.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:37 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

Dr. Peter’s book is actually pretty good.
i7-9700K, H100i v2, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:10 pm

just brew it! wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Unexpected/comments/82u5ys/this_chinese_ad/

That was one of the most f'd up commercials I've ever seen.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:17 pm

For those conversant in the number 42, BBC Radio 4 has launched The Hexagonal Phase of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 40 years to the day after the original broadcast. It's based on Eoin Colfer's And Another Thing ..., a/k/a the sixth book in the trilogy along with assorted leftovers in Douglas Adams' archives. The original voices of Arthur, Ford, and Zaphod return, with Trillian/Tricia played by Sondra Dickinson, who played Trillian in the BBC-TV show and Tricia McMillan (and wife 8) ) in the Quintessential Phase (Susan Sheridan, the original Trillian, passed away in 2015 and is featured in clips). The Book Mk. II is played by Stephen Hawking's voice box.

The first episode is 95% rehash, as the last time this was original programming was 1995 (Quintessential Phase). Still, to hear such familiar voices is comforting to me. Ep 1 available here, and for once it's not region-locked by the Beeb. I especially like that it honors the original by being a radio-only production (the age of the primary cast just might have something to do with that as well).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09th4hf

Adds some extra to Towel Day this year.

thecoldanddarkone
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:07 pm

The intel p3700 had a total host write of 700 GB. Running this diagnostic scan is going to write more to this disk than that.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:05 pm

JBI: A friend of mine in the mental health field (degrees out the ass, 10 years experience in clinical work with patients) just switched jobs to get back to actually doing what he liked instead of managing so I don't think that's unique to tech, unfortunately :/

Letting the magic smoke out sounds like something I'd do when drunk though :lol:
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:15 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
JBI: A friend of mine in the mental health field (degrees out the ass, 10 years experience in clinical work with patients) just switched jobs to get back to actually doing what he liked instead of managing so I don't think that's unique to tech, unfortunately :/

The one who's good at managing doesn't particularly like it either. I expect if he gets an opportunity (either with his current employer or somewhere else) to get back to nuts-and-bolts development without taking too big of a pay cut he'll probably do it.

paulWTAMU wrote:
Letting the magic smoke out sounds like something I'd do when drunk though :lol:

Anyone who deals with prototype hardware is bound to do it at least occasionally. But the person I mentioned really had a knack for it. The really funny thing was, his degree was actually in EE, not CS.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:39 am

Captain Ned wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09th4hf

Adds some extra to Towel Day this year.

"Make Alpha Centauri Great Again."
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:37 am

Seen on another forum:

Interviewer: If you can explain what "deadlock" is, you've got the job.
Applicant: If you hire me, I'll explain it to you.

Ahh, nerd humor at its best. :lol: