Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:02 am

DancinJack wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Just figured out that my supervisor's supervisor went to high school with my daughter (not the same class, but there was a year of overlap). He's got a yearbook with my daughter's picture in it. How's that for making you feel old? :lol:

One of the hazards of being 50-something in the tech industry, I guess... :-?

Probably a MBA grad from a decent school. Which is incredibly infuriating at times.

That's the way it goes though.

Nah, he came up through the developer ranks. But he's currently the longest-serving employee in the entire business unit, and has been here since it was a tiny start-up a decade ago. He must still like what he's doing, otherwise he'd have no reason to stick around; I'm certain he could retire if he wanted to on the proceeds from his stock options.

So no it's not particularly infuriating in this case. Lucky bastard just happened to get in on the ground floor of something big straight out of college.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:08 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Pet peeve: Robocall that immediately puts you on hold when you pick up. Great way to guarantee that I won't talk to you.

Saves me time. If I don't hear a human voice within about 10-15 seconds; I hang up.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:36 pm

The grand majority of the calls are scam calls for me. We aren't even the targets. They're farming for the old people who don't know any better.

Lately I've been watching, "kitboga" on twitch. He has a vm where he lets scammers connect to his PC and do their routines, with a voice changer and some quirky things to annoy them. One such thing is a script that has a 10% chance of replacing a typed character with a random one.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

uni-mitation
Gerbil XP

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:56 pm

Am I the only person that takes the time to file Do-not-call complaints to the FTC & State's equivalent regulatory agency?

uni-mitation

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:57 pm

uni-mitation wrote:
Am I the only person that takes the time to file Do-not-call complaints to the FTC & State's equivalent regulatory agency?

No, you're the only person who wastes their time on useless actions.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:05 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
uni-mitation wrote:

:lol: :lol:. I know they can't use credit cards but I feel like actual legal cases against them are probably pretty hard. Based on what I've seen they spend a lot of time giving the appearance of problems on the PC by basically making stuff up. To someone that doesn't know any better, most of a courtroom, it looks scary and legit. I'm surprised the IRS scams and similar survive as long as they do though.
Last edited by Heiwashin on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

uni-mitation
Gerbil XP

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:08 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
My old windows phone died its' final death (draining batteries within 2-3 hours of standby, wifi not working)....so I wound up with an iPhone....god I hate OS, but there weren't a ton of options on short notice and I need a working phone with my cell number since its on job apps that're out. :evil:

I share your pain. Yesterday I had to spring for an IPhone SE as the "lesser evil" of the options available to me. An opportunity came by that I could not continue with my trusty BB Q10. I am typically very skeptical & critical of Apple's heavy-handed curating, nannying, and walled garden, but the other side seems to be a wasteland of deserted phones lacking any long-term support & privacy guarantees. I will continue to give credit where it is due.

And I am not that happy with the OS myself too. Just to keep my longtime ring-tone I have to do some hoops with ITunes. It will eventually get solved.

BTW- I am in the market for a rugged case for this very fragile phone. Also, should I opt out for getting a tempered glass covered in addition? Any recommendations are welcomed from experienced gerbils!

uni-mitation

uni-mitation
Gerbil XP

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:16 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
uni-mitation wrote:

So, is it due to lack of funding to prosecute these civil infractions or is it because they are so hard to source the point of origin?

uni-mitation

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:28 pm

uni-mitation wrote:
So, is it due to lack of funding to prosecute these civil infractions or is it because they are so hard to source the point of origin?

It's because it's as existentially frustrating as an arcade game of whack-a-mole. They never stop popping up.

idchafee
Gold subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness

Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:51 pm

So this is my 2nd year of having a garden. Last year I focused on hot peppers and things to feed my daughter's guinea pigs (cucumbers, parsley, romaine). This year I branched out into sweet peppers, kale and beans. I read somewhere that for peppers (both hot and sweet), that you should pinch off any blossoms until the plant is 18-24 inches high. The thought is that all the nutrients go towards growing the plant until there's peppers, then the plant stops growing and all the nutrients go to the peppers. Anyone else have a garden that can corroborate this?
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:04 am

idchafee wrote:
I read somewhere that for peppers (both hot and sweet), that you should pinch off any blossoms until the plant is 18-24 inches high. The thought is that all the nutrients go towards growing the plant until there's peppers, then the plant stops growing and all the nutrients go to the peppers. Anyone else have a garden that can corroborate this?

My folks have always included 4-8 pepper plants (variously sweet bell and chili) in their garden. They alwaya bought greenhouse plants rather than starting from seed, but AFAIK they have never pinched buds and always got a decent quantity of peppers. Maybe they could have gotten more by doing this, who knows.

In any case, pretty much all the nightshades have a magic formula that also works well for zucchini and related squash family plants: horse manure, hot days with direct sunlight, and lots of water. Two of three and you'll have a good crop, even in bad soil. Three of three and you'll be leaving the surplus on neighbors' doorsteps in the dead of night.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:23 am

ludi wrote:
Three of three and you'll be leaving the surplus on neighbors' doorsteps in the dead of night.

Why do Vermonters lock their doors in September? To keep out the zucchini.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:32 am

Captain Ned wrote:
ludi wrote:
Three of three and you'll be leaving the surplus on neighbors' doorsteps in the dead of night.

Why do Vermonters lock their doors in September? To keep out the zucchini.

Last year we got like 20 lbs of cucumbers off of a single plant. :o This year the cucumber plant is not doing well, and we have no idea why, we haven't done anything different.

Looks like we'll get a decent crop of tomatoes (again) though, and the blackberries we planted several years back have basically taken over the entire side yard. (The blackberries have turned out to be a pretty good way to control the thistle problem we had, but they are also crowding out everything else. At least we get a decent harvest of berries with our thorns now.)

The hops are going nuts; we might actually get enough for a batch of beer this time! :lol: (It's just one hop vine, planted in a non-ideal location; but it's been getting a little stronger each year, and has started sending runners all over the place like the blackberries do, so I guess it's happy now.)

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:15 am

We’ve had blackberry bushes for four year’s now that never berried. Probably going to rip them out this fall. It provides nice under-window thorn protection though.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:55 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
We’ve had blackberry bushes for four year’s now that never berried. Probably going to rip them out this fall. It provides nice under-window thorn protection though.

We have raspberries, and if blackberries work similarly, they need a lot of water in order to fruit: recommendation from a gardening store was ~1 inch of rain or watering per week. That seems to be working for us this year, we're getting berries whereas we didn't last year, even though the plant was healthy.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:02 am

We're actually planting yucca in Dallas...after living in the panhandle for a decade or more, the idea of actually planting a yucca is foreign to me.

At least it isn't prickly pear; the nursery guy told my wife and mother they're impossible to kill and bloom so pretty but no way are either of us having that in our yard :evil: Trying to do something with this sloped yard; good drainage, lots of sun, don't want more trees. So 3 yuccas and some milkweed so far. It'll take a year or three to really grow in, and we're still figuring out what else to plant.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:36 am

just brew it! wrote:
(The blackberries have turned out to be a pretty good way to control the thistle problem we had, but they are also crowding out everything else. At least we get a decent harvest of berries with our thorns now.)

Uh-oh, keep an eye on where they go next. In the rainy side of the Pacific Northwest, they're an invasive species and really difficult to root out.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:54 am

ludi wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
(The blackberries have turned out to be a pretty good way to control the thistle problem we had, but they are also crowding out everything else. At least we get a decent harvest of berries with our thorns now.)

Uh-oh, keep an eye on where they go next. In the rainy side of the Pacific Northwest, they're an invasive species and really difficult to root out.

Hops can be invasive as well. I guess we can let the hops and blackberries battle it out? :lol:

Years ago, a former co-worker planted hops at his parents' house. After he moved out the parents wanted them gone and roto-tilled them in an attempt to kill them. This is exactly what you DON'T want to do to get rid of hops, as the normal method of propagation used by hop growers involves cutting a small section of rhizome from an established plant, and replanting it. With that single act, they multiplied the problem a hundred-fold. IIRC he said it took several years of "scorched earth" Roundup treatments to get rid of them after that.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:25 pm

AC in my car is dead. Took it to Firestone. Cracked condenser and a hose kit needs replaced. $1500 quote, but only 5 hours of labor. Their labor is $80/hr, so that means their parts are $1100. Really, $1000, since they say charging it is $100 and included in the estimate.

So I start looking around online and the parts are under $400 from any one of a dozen online car parts stores. I'm having a hard time figuring out what the difference is.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:38 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
AC in my car is dead. Took it to Firestone. Cracked condenser and a hose kit needs replaced. $1500 quote, but only 5 hours of labor. Their labor is $80/hr, so that means their parts are $1100. Really, $1000, since they say charging it is $100 and included in the estimate.

So I start looking around online and the parts are under $400 from any one of a dozen online car parts stores. I'm having a hard time figuring out what the difference is.

Their quote probably includes "How badly do you need your AC?" charges.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:50 pm

Ask for an itemized quote and go somewhere else. Check Craigslist for locals doing garage repairs. I used to get killer deals from weekend mechanics.
When drunk.....

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Ask for an itemized quote and go somewhere else. Check Craigslist for locals doing garage repairs. I used to get killer deals from weekend mechanics.

That's what I'm looking for, honestly.

I got the itemized estimate.

Condenser + drier - $582.99
Hose assembly - $153.99
5 hours of labor - $495
AC system charge - $40/pound
AC system dye - $10
AC charging labor - $80
"shop supplies" - $25
Tax - $70

Total $1460-ish.

I mean, it's hot out, but it appears to me I can get the main parts for $262 and the hose assembly for $53. I mean, that's $320 vs $736-something for the main parts. That $130 to charge it is probably something I'm not going to get out of but the whole rest of it seems like I can hire it out cheaper.

Lest anybody get any ideas, I am all for paying for labor. Skilled people need to make money. It's the parts charges that have absolutely floored me. If they hadn't jacked up the parts cost by 125% or whatever, I may have just had them do it today.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:54 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

I wouldn't bother with quotes from namebrand chain shops, unless it's a need-it-right-now scenario. They'll always have the highest price, although for what they're quoting you there, I would hope they're at least using dealer-branded parts and warranty terms, rather than WorldPac. Did you check around for independent shops and then compare BBB ratings? Ask around for referrals from friends and coworkers?

OTOH I also wouldn't use that kit you posted as a guide for parts costs. None of the reputable parts stores sell even a remanufactured AC compressor for less than the price of that entire kit. Even accounting for the difference in retail markup, there's something fishy in it.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:43 pm

I have a guy lined up, someone I've known for a long time who does work out of his garage. I basically just used Firestone as a low-cost estimator (ran me $30 for them to dig into it) and then I could tell him what they told me, and I sent him a picture of the estimate that had all the part numbers and such. He's got parts picked out and will get to it late next week. It's not a "need it now" thing despite the 95-degree temps. We'll just roll down the windows for now. :lol:

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:06 pm

I'd sweat a little too if it saves enough money for a home theater PC :P
When drunk.....

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:57 pm

I have spent half a day bonking my head against a faulty screen in an electronics kit (Adafruit PiGrrl Zero) that I finally decided to put together. Solder everything together, all of it looks fine and connections check out with the multimeter, turn it on and ... white screen. Switch it on and off again, same. Try re-flashing the SD card with an updated image, this time it works! And then I turn it off and turn it back on to see just the white screen again. Seemingly at random, incredibly frustrating.

Finally found a support thread (via Google search, not via the Adafruit forum's own search function) that explains that they've determined they received a faulty batch of the screens with an incorrect diode used, and that the solution is to ... e-mail and ask for a replacement. Ok, so good, because it isn't me going bonkers or botching one of dozens of solder joints. But bad, because at some point I need to desolder a 40-pin connection between the screen and the Pi Zero, and that's just not going to be fun, even with a desoldering iron.

Man, I was all looking forward to playing with this, too - have a nice, colorful case and buttons all printed up and ready.

BIF
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:56 pm

Anytime you take your car in to somebody but yourself for AC work, it always costs between $1,000 and $1,500. I keep my cars for a long time, so I've come to expect that once or twice for any car that I own.

And I'll pay it too, because I hate working on cars. Yeah, I hate it THAT much. And if that's all that's wrong with the car, it's almost always worth fixing...compared to a new note. :o And way more worth it than having to deal with any car salesman. :x I particularly hate the "I'll need to talk to my manager" scam. :roll:

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:26 am

idchafee wrote:
So this is my 2nd year of having a garden. Last year I focused on hot peppers and things to feed my daughter's guinea pigs (cucumbers, parsley, romaine). This year I branched out into sweet peppers, kale and beans. I read somewhere that for peppers (both hot and sweet), that you should pinch off any blossoms until the plant is 18-24 inches high. The thought is that all the nutrients go towards growing the plant until there's peppers, then the plant stops growing and all the nutrients go to the peppers. Anyone else have a garden that can corroborate this?

This is true with a lot of plants. Bearing fruit is a difficult thing for plants and they focus all of their energy on it. If you pick off the flowers, then the plant will direct its energy in growing foliage. The theory is that you should pick off the first few flowers in order to let the plant grow larger and therefore support more fruit growth later in the season. The theory is a good one, but it's not entirely necessary. It really comes down to how hands-on you want to be with your garden.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:40 am

Finally got to see the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science today. The actual quantity of scroll material on display is not large, only about 20 fragment sets are viewable at any given time (and rotated every few weeks to preserve the material from light damage). Lots of coins, stamps, pottery, and trinkets though, and they use a 5-minute introductory lecture/video set in an entry room to transport your imagination to the Dead Sea region while also giving your eyes time to adjust to the darkness of the main exhibit floor.

It's pretty amazing how neatly and meticulously people could hand-copy a text, or lay mosaic floor tiles, in a pre-industrial society. Guess that's how you fill time without an Internet connection.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:01 pm

Well, come home from BBQ to find wife/daughter pointing at the washing machine (top-loader) and telling me to "deal with it". It was one brown mouse who had obviously (from the pee odor) had several bad nights in the drum. Chased it around with a mason jar and put it outside. Machine is currently in a cleaning cycle with an Affresh tablet.

New house rule: Lid stays closed at at all times.