Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:04 am

Redocbew wrote:
On Google's 4th of July homepage California's featured recipe is **** quinoa?

Le sigh.

American Samoa got 'pizza dough' so I don't feel so badly for California. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:40 am

Glorious wrote:
heiwashin wrote:
Speaking of which I met a driver that sneakily carries in his truck. Got me mulling it over again.

Leaving aside the multiple-state legal issues, can you get fired for that as per company policy?

No. The company has a policy because of, "the difficulty complying with varying local laws." Which is certainly appropriate, but in the end they let drivers take risks that don't directly place liability on the company. I've never heard of an issue with someone getting caught in my company, but I have seen a few news articles for drivers in general.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:44 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

Le sigh.

Regarding the one for my state... I don't know anyone who orders Italian beef with "a blend of hot and sweet peppers". It's typically one or the other (though there's nothing stopping you from having both), or neither (for silly people like my wife).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:58 am

Waffles??
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:59 am

Redocbew wrote:

Le sigh.
I'm not sure I "get" this cookbook.

AZ: Spanish Rice
IN: Buckeye

Sure, the Spanish Rice is just a form of rice, but you'd think AZ has something a little more Americanized. As for the Buckeye, I was pretty sure that was an Ohio thing, and a breaded pork tenderloin would be more appropriate, IMO.

EDIT: added Wiki link with a picture.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:56 am

It's not a cookbook per se; it's frequently searched for recipes by state.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:59 am

I like the Florida one for Ceviche. I loved that when i lived in Peru. Especially Octopus. I haven't found the US-made one's to be quite as good. Probably different food safety laws with "raw" meat.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:21 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I like the Florida one for Ceviche. I loved that when i lived in Peru. Especially Octopus. I haven't found the US-made one's to be quite as good. Probably different food safety laws with "raw" meat.

Ceviche is also the national dish of Peru. They know what they're doing.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:14 am

DancinJack wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Ceviche is also the national dish of Peru. They know what they're doing.

The best ceviche I've had in the United States was in Puerto Rico. It was octopus, and both visually beautiful and incredibly delicious. I still remember that meal.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:44 pm

I started cooking with an electric pressure cooker in the truck. Most appliances use too much power, but at about 900 wats I have no problem running the cooker.

It's great since it doubles as a slow cooker and electric pan.

I cook a few servings of something then bag the leftovers, set it front of the air conditioner for a rapid cool, then move it to the fridge.

I've been loving the fresh scrambled eggs and good flavorful home cooked food. Best thing I didn't know I needed 2018.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Redocbew

Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:33 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

I just made some pizza dough not even a week ago. :lol:
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:48 pm

WHEW. Quite a game there between England and Colombia. Super chippy, tons of yellows, and went to PKs.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:49 am

superjawes wrote:
Sure, the Spanish Rice is just a form of rice, but you'd think AZ has something a little more Americanized. As for the Buckeye, I was pretty sure that was an Ohio thing, and a breaded pork tenderloin would be more appropriate, IMO.

EDIT: added Wiki link with a picture.

Maybe I'm un-American or whatever but I just hate hate hate paper-thin tenderloins. It's like I'm just eating breaded cardboard. Thicker slices of breaded, deep-fried pork loin are fantastic. Making them so thin just ruins the experience.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:52 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Maybe I'm un-American or whatever but I just hate hate hate paper-thin tenderloins. It's like I'm just eating breaded cardboard. Thicker slices of breaded, deep-fried pork loin are fantastic. Making them so thin just ruins the experience.

Your mistake is in thinking of it as "meat". It is in fact meat-flavored crispy fried breading. :lol:

The concept is not unlike what Chicago-area hot dog joints call "tamales". The tamale filling isn't actual meat; it is just seasoned, meat-colored/flavored cornmeal (soaked in meat juices and spices). If you have a taste for a real tamale, they're rather disappointing; but if you think of them as a carb side (e.g. get one instead of fries), or smother them in chili, they're actually pretty good for what they are, and cheap. If you want a tamale with actual pieces of meat or other fillings in the center, you need to go to a Mexican restaurant run by Mexican immigrants.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:22 am

We're very fortunate to have two pretty authentic Mexican restaurants in Pekin, but for some reason people still pack in line at Taco Bell. I just don't understand humans. :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:32 am

People are afraid to try new things. Taco Bell is familiar, safe, and predictable. As fast food goes it's OK as long as you don't compare it to the authentic stuff.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:37 am

Been using sugar water with boric acid to control our ant problem these past few months. In the past week or so we appear to have a different species of ants than before, which are exhibiting very odd behavior WRT the baits. They seem to be digging up dirt from a nearby potted plant, carrying it over to the nearest baits, and piling the dirt on top of them.

W. T. F.

Redocbew

Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:42 am

I'm not sure "safe" is the word I'd use WRT to taco bell. :P

However, in my neighborhood you'd have to go out of your way not to have authentic Mexican food. There's two places within walking distance of here and at least half a dozen others nearby where English might as well be a second language.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:34 pm

Redocbew wrote:
I'm not sure "safe" is the word I'd use WRT to taco bell. :P

My daughter took a food sanitation course a few years back. The instructor also worked as an inspector for the local health department. He claimed that Taco Bell is among the best fast food restaurants in terms of sanitation, due to most of the ingredients being shipped to the restaurants in sealed sterile packaging from a central processing facility. This greatly reduces the odds of poor prep kitchen sanitation practices at the local level causing contamination issues.

He also claimed that Burger King is among the worst, which is consistent with our experience. My wife flat-out refuses to eat at BK, as she's gotten sick after eating there multiple times, from different locations.

Redocbew wrote:
However, in my neighborhood you'd have to go out of your way not to have authentic Mexican food. There's two places within walking distance of here and at least half a dozen others nearby where English might as well be a second language.

None within walking distance of us, unfortunately; but there are dozens of possibilities within a ~5 mile radius. Aurora, IL (which borders the suburb we live in) is over 40% Hispanic, and there's no "might as well" about English being a second language in certain parts of Aurora. It *IS* a second language!

Redocbew

Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:15 pm

It's been years since I've been to a fast food place, and honestly I don't plan on going any time soon, but that's good to know I guess.

There are parts of town here which are basically shut down on Cinco de Mayo even more so than the rest of town on the 4th of July. :P

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:50 pm

Redocbew wrote:
It's been years since I've been to a fast food place, and honestly I don't plan on going any time soon, but that's good to know I guess.

Yeah, we don't eat fast food much any more either, but still hit McD's or Taco Bell once in a while for breakfast if we're in a hurry. And if you're on the road and are faced with grabbing a quick bite at a highway interchange, Taco Bell is the least dodgy of the usual suspects. If the choice is between gas station roller grill hot dogs and Taco Bell, I'll take the Taco Bell! :lol:

And I still get Popeyes chicken for lunch about once a month. Best fast food fried chicken, hands down.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:17 pm

Your description of Chicago "tamales" made all of the Trans Pecos, NM, and Arizona collectively hate that city.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:26 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Your description of Chicago "tamales" made all of the Trans Pecos, NM, and Arizona collectively hate that city.

It's only the hot dog stand fast food ones that are like that. There's enough of a Hispanic contingent in the Chicago area that you can get good ones easily enough. There's even a place within walking distance of where I work that does decent Mexican; not unusual for me to head over there and get a couple of tacos (fish or chorizo) and a tamale for lunch. As noted previously, there's no Mexican (real or fake) within walking distance of my house though; in fact the only food of any kind within reasonable walking distance is a pizza/Italian place and a Dairy Queen. :roll:

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:34 pm

just brew it! wrote:
paulWTAMU wrote:

It's only the hot dog stand fast food ones that are like that.

I guess the first mistake would be trusting a hot dog stand that offers to sell you a tamale.

Got to admire the raw creative entrepreneurial spirit, though. I always thought the hot dog was at the very bottom of the chain for things that can be sold to humans as processed meat, but apparently these guys have found a way to sell the hotdog drippings.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:38 pm

ludi wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
paulWTAMU wrote:

It's only the hot dog stand fast food ones that are like that.

I guess the first mistake would be trusting a hot dog stand that offers to sell you a tamale.

Got to admire the raw creative entrepreneurial spirit, though. I always thought the hot dog was at the very bottom of the chain for things that can be sold to humans as processed meat, but apparently these guys have found a way to sell the hotdog drippings.

Hey there now... Chicago-style hot dogs are fantastic. Dontcha be dissin' the Chicago-style dog!

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:32 am

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/07/ ... e-instead/

I suspect someone who used to work at Sony is looking for a new job today.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:45 am

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:20 pm

And the New England heat wave is finally broken. I've opened up the house and turned off the A/C, and it's supposed to be 50F tonight. Can't wait.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:34 pm

Turn off the A/C? You’re hilarious. We’ve got 4 more months before that can be considered.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:50 pm

95 is an Interstate, not a temperature.