Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:46 pm

My cousin took her family to Maine this week to get away from the heat...or so that is what she wanted. Turns out to not have worked out that way, which is amusing.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:11 pm

Bleh. This is one of, if not the hottest years I can remember in the Midwest. We've been above 90 (and closer to 100) most days since early May. Usually we don't hit that until sometime later in June. Oh well.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:27 pm

we have hit anywhere from high 90s to low 100s every day except yesterday since I moved here. With high (>40%) humidity.

I'm missing the high plains. Yeah we had heat but when I sweated up there, it actually worked. :-?
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:33 pm

Today I learned I've been running my desktop, monitor, the Internet gateway, and a horde of small devices off an outlet that was wired wrong: hot and neutral were reversed. It's one of the only outlets that was wired for 3-prong sockets when we bought the house.

I discovered this because I bit on the inexpensive CyberPower UPS that was offered as a deal on the front page this week, and plugged it in for the first time this morning. I immediately noticed that the "Wiring Fault Indicator" light came on - useful, that. I have a basic outlet tester, plugged it in, and lo and behold the red light comes on there, too.

I've wired a dozen or so outlets so far in my life. It's not hard! How the hell do you screw that up, or at the least, how the hell do you not test your work afterward to make sure you've done it right?

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:04 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Today I learned I've been running my desktop, monitor, the Internet gateway, and a horde of small devices off an outlet that was wired wrong: hot and neutral were reversed. It's one of the only outlets that was wired for 3-prong sockets when we bought the house.

I discovered this because I bit on the inexpensive CyberPower UPS that was offered as a deal on the front page this week, and plugged it in for the first time this morning. I immediately noticed that the "Wiring Fault Indicator" light came on - useful, that. I have a basic outlet tester, plugged it in, and lo and behold the red light comes on there, too.

I've wired a dozen or so outlets so far in my life. It's not hard! How the hell do you screw that up, or at the least, how the hell do you not test your work afterward to make sure you've done it right?

Some friends bought a late-1960s house which had aluminum wiring (fortunately, one of the later alloys that didn't corrode so aggressively). The previous owner was a double-divorcee who decided that instead of screwing up a third marriage by pretending he knew what he was doing, he would screw up a house instead. Did a lot of work, superficially it all looked nice, and then my friends started doing their own renovations. The first thing they found when cleaning up the laundry room was that this guy had wired copper to aluminum using standard wirenuts, instead of the required self-sealing Noalox nuts. The second thing they found was that he had also done this in the attic for a can-light project, and left his Al-Cu feeder ties lying in the cellulose instead of routing the NM cable through a proper J-box. After that, they removed a partition wall and found even more un-boxed terminations, which were tucked back inside the wall with cabinets installed in front.

From that, you can probably guess what his plumbing work looked like. The guy clearly hadn't heard of a code book. It didn't look like he had even heard of YouTube.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:42 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:

I can top that. Many years ago, at a summer job I had while still in school, the owner of the computer store I was working at got his buddy to wire a new showroom. The new setup included strips of outlets permanently mounted on the walls, just above floor level.

We discovered that there was an issue with the wiring in spectacular fashion. One of the systems was a fairly high-powered (for that day) setup from a company called Alpha Micro; basically a PDP-11 clone, but using the then-common S-100 bus. It had an external hard drive (the old school top loading removable media "washing machine" style, as this was circa 1979 or 1980), and multiple CRT terminals around the store connected via RS-232 wiring run through the walls.

When we plugged everything in, there were fireworks. Sparks coming out of equipment, crackling sounds, and the aroma of burnt electronics everywhere. Lots of magic smoke was let out that day. The path of destruction was truly epic -- disk controller and RS-232 ports in the system, the external hard drive, and all of the CRT terminals fried. Thousands of dollars in damage.

A post-mortem revealed that the idiot buddy had neglected to wire the protective ground on the problematic strip, and had gotten the hot wire pinched in a joint (so the metal enclosure and protective ground prongs were all hot). The unfortunate victim system was located in a corner of the room, and as luck would have it the system unit was plugged into one wall (hot ground), and the external hard drive plugged into the other (good ground).

Fortunately nobody was injured.

ludi wrote:
Some friends bought a late-1960s house which had aluminum wiring (fortunately, one of the later alloys that didn't corrode so aggressively). The previous owner was a double-divorcee who decided that instead of screwing up a third marriage by pretending he knew what he was doing, he would screw up a house instead. Did a lot of work, superficially it all looked nice, and then my friends started doing their own renovations. The first thing they found when cleaning up the laundry room was that this guy had wired copper to aluminum using standard wirenuts, instead of the required self-sealing Noalox nuts. The second thing they found was that he had also done this in the attic for a can-light project, and left his Al-Cu feeder ties lying in the cellulose instead of routing the NM cable through a proper J-box. After that, they removed a partition wall and found even more un-boxed terminations, which were tucked back inside the wall with cabinets installed in front.

A few years ago when I went to replace a bathroom light fixture I discovered that it was powered via a piece of flexible armored cable with the wires poking out (no box). Fixture was just screwed into the drywall, with a big ragged hole behind the fixture. Turned what should've been a half hour project into a major PITA (install a box, repair the drywall, then mount the new fixture properly).

I'll bet the fixtures in the other two bathrooms were done the same way (haven't checked yet).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:38 pm

Is there any place on Earth where people do pay attention to car alarms?
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:17 pm

Redocbew wrote:

In the QA department of the car alarm factory?

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:30 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Redocbew wrote:
In the QA department of the car alarm factory?

Talk about a dead-end job ... [/snark]
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:56 am

Redocbew wrote:

Old classic.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:39 pm

Now there's a commercial which doesn't suck. If they were all like that I might not have cut the cord.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:47 pm

Redocbew wrote:
my next cooking project: sourdough bread. :D

I'm calling this one a success also. The bread is super heavy, so I'll definitely use less flour next time, but as is usual with my projects (cooking and otherwise) I jumped straight into the deep end and things turned out alright. Going to try again later today and see if I can improve on the first attempt. :D

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:44 pm

my wife's picking up an A+ cert more or less on a whim. The review she's done today (she's testing next week) makes me want to build a new PC, but I just bought a new DSLR and moved :lol: But I wanna play legos with electronics now.

Oh, our garage door no longer works, and the two outlets in the garage are dead. I found this out when going to grab some frigging fish to cook for lunch only to find a godawful mess in our freezer. I do not want ice cream marinated mostly thawed fish...and I don't want to shell out however much this is going to cost to fix. Breakers are all OK, but there is 0 power in the garage.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:45 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Breakers are all OK, but there is 0 power in the garage.

Dollars to doughnuts there's a GFCI outlet in that string and it needs its reset button pushed.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:02 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
paulWTAMU wrote:
Breakers are all OK, but there is 0 power in the garage.

Dollars to doughnuts there's a GFCI outlet in that string and it needs its reset button pushed.

If your house was built back when GFCI breakers were still pricey and copper was cheap, it may even be wired through one that isn't anywhere near the garage. Or maybe it is behind something in the garage and you've forgotten about it.

Our house (built in the '80s) has one GFCI in the garage for the garage and all outside outlets, and one in the master bath for all of the bathrooms. With the price of copper these days, it's probably cheaper to just install separate GFCIs than run all that extra wiring.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:26 pm

Redocbew wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if there were a considerable number of people here in CA searching for quinoa recipes, but yeah it does seem a little hit or miss. I don't really have anything against quinoa its self. It's just on the same level as avocado toast now as something trendy.

I don’t mind the flavor or texture, but any meaningful amount of red quinoa (the kind they’ve been trying to slip into everything lately) does a fine job of upsetting my stomach several hours later.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:28 pm

I had that experience with Amaranth once. It tasted good at the time, and then held me hostage on the toilet for half an hour a few hours later.

Also, really glad I don't work for Amazon right now. Instead I'm having flashbacks of my boss at the time asking me "what does server error 503 mean?"

My response: "Uhm .... something bad."

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:33 pm

Redocbew wrote:
I had that experience with Amaranth once. It tasted good at the time, and then held me hostage on the toilet for half an hour a few hours later.

Also, really glad I don't work for Amazon right now. Instead I'm having flashbacks of my boss at the time asking me "what does server error 503 mean?"

My response: "Uhm .... something bad."

My entire day consisted of figuring out why "something bad" was happening on various systems. Total lines of code written today: 0

And yeah, food sensitivities suck.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:38 pm

Yeah, those days are not good. I actually kind of enjoyed the slow grind of ecommerce where it seems like everything's going at a snails pace and nothing is getting done, but not enough to deal with the fire drills and downtime that go along with it. Curious what's up at Amazon though. It's got to be something infrastructure related. Hard to imagine a bug in the Amazon hive mind causing such a widespread outage, but I suppose it's possible.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Can't find a GFCI anywhere near the garage--and that's after moving my gun safe :-? That was painful.

We just moved here so it's not super settled in yet either.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:18 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Our house (built in the '80s) has one GFCI in the garage for the garage and all outside outlets, and one in the master bath for all of the bathrooms. With the price of copper these days, it's probably cheaper to just install separate GFCIs than run all that extra wiring.

The NEC will get you first. Just to build a new 1BR apartment or condo, if it has its own electric water heater and laundry hookups, will require about 20 circuit positions to meet code. And anything that isn't a dedicated appliance circuit or a GFCI will probably require an AFCI panel breaker.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:52 am

I finally got around to labeling all of hte 240v circuits on the breaker box. It's only been 2 years since I replaced the box. The hot water heater was the pain, since there is no indicator lamp whether the circuit is on or not. I ended up having to take off the cover and use a multimeter to test the voltage over the wires running through the thermostat. Bare wire testing 240V certainly made me nervous.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:51 pm

i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, UltraSharp U2410, CVT Avant Prime, DeathAdder, Audioengine HD3+S8

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:29 am

That would be a really good idea. I'll keep my eye on those. I also need to find a proper clamp multimeter for measure AC current.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Gerbils:

This is what a useful and constructive midlife crisis toy (you'll all have one, someday) looks like. The Harley and the sports car were right out as the idiopathic (doctor-speak for "we don't have a bleedin' clue why") neuropathy in my feet means foot-operated gear shifting and/or clutch were right out. She starts skidding logs tomorrow AM.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:13 pm

I'm hoping my toy will be an ariel atom. :lol:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:02 pm

anyone have much experience building walking paths in a yard? Like, how much do I have to level the ground before putting in the sand and pavers?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:11 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
anyone have much experience building walking paths in a yard? Like, how much do I have to level the ground before putting in the sand and pavers?

More than we did (many of the pavers eventually cracked).

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:46 pm

dang :/ how far down did you go? I've got about 6" dug down in an 8'x30" area but it's kind of bumpy. Nothing super off level but lots of little bumps

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:22 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
dang :/ how far down did you go? I've got about 6" dug down in an 8'x30" area but it's kind of bumpy. Nothing super off level but lots of little bumps

That's (probably) deeper than we went. Work was done by one of the offspring, with initial instructions but no direct supervision. Draw your own conclusions. :lol: