Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Kansas City is an odd duck in this regard too. Big ol' metro area spread over something like 15 counties. The city itself even spans two states!
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:06 pm

Is there any software more famously obnoxious and bloated than Acrobat Reader? Probably, but it's got to be pretty high up on the list.

Le sigh...
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:15 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Is there any software more famously obnoxious and bloated than Acrobat Reader? Probably, but it's got to be pretty high up on the list.

Le sigh...

I need a PDF tool with OCR in my Windows 10 VM, and I just went with Foxit instead. Less expensive, works fine, OCRs well, far less of a resource hog.

Redocbew

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:20 pm

Foxit is the other one I know of as well. That's usually my go-to when dealing with PDFs in Windows. Not sure why I didn't think of it this time.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:01 pm

I used to think that until I got a copy of Acrobat Pro for work. I couldn't believe how good it was. But yeah, Reader sucks. There used to be issues of compatibility with Foxit back when I used to use it (like, a decade ago), but I'd imagine it has to be better now.

To answer your original question, possibly iTunes for Windows (it was SO bad back in the day, I don't think it's that terrible these days though). What an abomination.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:08 pm

Now that Apple has abandoned the Windows version of Quicktime (which they did years ago) the Windows version of iTunes has some annoyance stuff but it's really not all that bad. Adobe Reader DC is worse by a long shot.

Somebody thought they were being funny and signed me up for some fringe nutball newsletter. And that turned into three or four different groups sending me unsolicited nonsense, none of which Gmail thinks is spam. Ugh.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:44 pm

Our office is slowly converting to BlueBeam PDF software.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:33 am

For even more fun, try getting Acrobat Reader working on Linux. None of the native Linux PDF tools handle PDF forms decently, so there's actually a use case for it; unfortunately, the last version for Linux was Acrobat Reader 9. You can make it work, but installation on a modern distro is a PITA.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:05 am

Adobe's solution to being unable to edit XFA forms and submit them is to move to a cloud solution with pricey subscription options. They will spring told that make those files earlier this year (LiveCycle ES4 and the like) and the format is basically dead.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:32 am

just brew it! wrote:
For even more fun, try getting Acrobat Reader working on Linux. None of the native Linux PDF tools handle PDF forms decently, so there's actually a use case for it; unfortunately, the last version for Linux was Acrobat Reader 9. You can make it work, but installation on a modern distro is a PITA.

This sort of thing is precisely I have a few Windows VMs in regular use. It would be nice if it wasn't necessary, but I need to be able to work with client files that are often in less common, proprietary formats. Third-party apps (on Windows or Linux) that attempt compatibility haven't gotten there yet, so I'm stuck with expensive software suites for a lot of stuff.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:58 pm

Had a tornado come through Ottawa yesterday around 5pm. It trashed a few homes but only 5 people in hospital.

Unfortunately it also trashed one of the 2 power connections between the Ontario grid and the city grid. We live a bit of a distance from where the tornado was so we had no damage but were without power for just under 24hrs. Fortunately we have a friend only a couple of blocks away had power come back overnight so we've been driving our 2 UPS back and forth to theirs to keep the fridge/freezer running and stop things spoiling. Some people are going to be without power for a few days as they rebuild the transformer connections. The power across the city is really patchy right now - it all depends on where on the big transformer substation your block is connected.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:21 pm

notfred wrote:
Had a tornado come through Ottawa yesterday around 5pm. It trashed a few homes but only 5 people in hospital.

Unfortunately it also trashed one of the 2 power connections between the Ontario grid and the city grid. We live a bit of a distance from where the tornado was so we had no damage but were without power for just under 24hrs. Fortunately we have a friend only a couple of blocks away had power come back overnight so we've been driving our 2 UPS back and forth to theirs to keep the fridge/freezer running and stop things spoiling. Some people are going to be without power for a few days as they rebuild the transformer connections. The power across the city is really patchy right now - it all depends on where on the big transformer substation your block is connected.

Glad most are OK. Lucky it wasn't worse. I think Ottawa is ~1MM?

Growing up right smack in the middle of "Tornado Alley" has desensitized me somewhat. When I was graduating from college we had a little get together at a friends house and we were all hanging out in the backyard playing lawn games and drinking beer, and the sirens went off. Since most of us were from Kansas, we just kept hanging out. I check the radar/warnings to make sure I am not in imminent danger, but tornadoes just don't phase me much anymore. Earthquakes? freak me out. It's an odd, odd world.

Luckily no one in my family ever got hurt from tornadoes or lost a lot of property, but there were lots of two hour spells hiding in the basement when I was a kid.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:01 pm

Tornados are super not-fun. Glad everyone is OK. Where I live they run rampant from late April through June. They can do some massive damage.

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Put the $90 towards a brand new Xbox One S. It will play Xbox 360 games through backward compatibility, UltraHD Blurays and best of all, awesome HDR. I downloaded Forza Horizon 4 demo yesterday and it was a blast! The graphics are unbelievably good and the sense of speed is just insane. FPS seemed rock solid. The demo is so good that I think I could easily wait for the game to come down in price while the demo keeps me satisfied with its speed thrills.

About half the games I own are not backward-compatible. Some are retail games that saw release on Xbone/PS4 but I have no interest in re-buying. Some are arcade games that the licensing expired (TMNT 1989 arcade, Uno), and some just never made the jump. This is for a light-usage console in another room outside the living room, so have no interest in $500, or even ~$250 for an Xbox One S (500GB models are still out there as new-old stock).

I did get one that worked on the second try, and plugged a handy USB drive into it that had all the games from my launch-era 20GB unit. Fired right up and has worked well for at least a couple days, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:22 pm

Tornados freak me out. I’ve lived through earthquakes in 2 different countries and hurricanes in North Carolina and Florida. No problem. Tornados though, scary.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:05 pm

We really don't get tornadoes around here, maybe every 2 or 3 years someone's shed will get blown over and there will be some argument about whether it was a microburst or a tornado, but nothing proper. From the reports I've seen, this was at least an EF2 that hit Dunrobin and half a dozen houses no longer exist, Gatineau and removed roofs, and also trashed at least 80 power poles and 1 of 2 main transformer feeds for the city:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/o ... -1.4834478

We expect that from an ice storm (my first winter in Canada) but not from a tornado.

superjawes

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:21 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Tornados freak me out. I’ve lived through earthquakes in 2 different countries and hurricanes in North Carolina and Florida. No problem. Tornados though, scary.

Can't hurricanes cause tornadoes, too? :wink:

I do understand the fear, though. They can be incredibly destructive, and the only real defense is to stay close enough to a city with skyscrapers (or to live exclusively underground).

Fortunately, I've only lived through a couple of tornado scares, and they were at my school, so we were relatively safe inside, and I don't think one ever touched down close enough to "really" be a threat.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:38 pm

yep. hurricanes will spawn tornadoes.

For the first time in a decade I'm not following the hurricane season since I'm not on the coast, nor am I in a field that even touches on responding to disasters anymore :) I feel slightly ashamed at how relieved that makes me
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:29 pm

Tornadoes are freakin' terrifying (the winds in the most powerful tornadoes are ~100 MPH stronger than a category 5 hurricane), but they've physically much smaller and therefore tend to be very localized in the damage they cause. Even if you live in a tornado-prone area, you're probably more likely to to die by being struck by lightning.

I've seen them off in the distance while driving multiple times, and had a near miss at a campground in Iowa once. A few years back we had a number of trees blown down, fences shredded, and roofs damaged at the other end of our subdivision, but I don't think that was ever confirmed as a tornado touchdown (probably just a microburst).

We currently live just a few miles up the road from the site of the 1990 Plainfield tornado, one of the most powerful tornadoes to ever hit Illinois:
As the tornado crossed US-30, a 20-ton tractor-trailer was thrown more than half a mile from the road, killing the driver. Three other motorists were killed in this area as their vehicles were thrown from the road. Some cars were picked up and carried considerable distances through the air.
the tornado directly struck the Plainfield High School, killing three people, including a science teacher and two maintenance workers.
volleyball players preparing for a game in the gymnasium rushed to the nearest door and took shelter in the hallway. It is reported that as soon as the last player was through the door, a coach quickly closed it, only for it to be immediately ripped back off by the storm. The gymnasium proceeded to fall apart and crash down filling the gap in the doorway. They took shelter in the same hallway as the football team, and once the tornado had passed, that was the only hallway left standing in the building.

This is the stuff nightmares are made of. But TBH, it's not something that is particularly high on my list of existential worries 99.9% of the time.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:23 am

My morning commute involves both a bus and a commuter train. This morning on the bus there was a hilarious radio convo going on between another bus driver and the dispatcher. Started with "I'm completely turned around here, I have no idea where I am." Went on for at least 10 minutes, and was still going when I got off the bus; they were still trying to get her back to her route.

Only thing I can figure is she must've not had a cellphone with her, and was either too embarrassed to ask her passengers for help, or was on the way to the start of her route. I felt a little sorry for the driver... but only a little. Hopefully she doesn't lose her job over this.

I'm mentally picturing this poor driver wandering around in one of the many suburban subdivisions where all the streets curve and loop, and half of them end in cul-de-sacs. It sure sounded like that was what was going on from the conversation.

I guess some people are gonna be late for work...

Krogoth
Gerbil Elder

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:45 am

it is the flying debris that poses the greatest threat in a tornado. The human body doesn't take well to getting hit by a 2x4 hurling at 100MPH+.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:34 pm

Departmental reorg... as of today I have a new boss. Previous one (whom I've known for many years, from previous jobs in addition to this one) is now a "lone wolf" -- a level up the corporate ladder, but currently with nobody under him.

New boss seems like a pretty laid-back guy. Moonlights as a bass player in a bar band. Out of all the managers I could've been transferred to, I think it could've been a lot worse.

Such is life as a cog in a gigantic corporate machine...

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:01 am

just brew it! wrote:

Precisely why, if I were to get a new job, it would not be for a large company.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:23 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Precisely why, if I were to get a new job, it would not be for a large company.

Places I've worked have covered the entire spectrum -- tiny start-ups, medium-sized businesses, mega-corporations, a stint at a national lab, and 10 years as an independent contractor. Each had its advantages and disadvantages, and I wouldn't say I have a clear preference.

One thing I will say about the current gig -- I wish I'd worked here when we were having kids. Their parental leave policy (both maternal and paternal) is eye-poppingly generous. 20 weeks for mothers, 12 for fathers. That's paid leave. Never heard of anyone else doing that. Sadly (for those of us who can't take advantage of the parental leave), the rest of the benefits are just average.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:32 am

just brew it! wrote:
One thing I will say about the current gig -- I wish I'd worked here when we were having kids. Their parental leave policy (both maternal and paternal) is eye-poppingly generous. 20 weeks for mothers, 12 for fathers. That's paid leave. Never heard of anyone else doing that. Sadly (for those of us who can't take advantage of the parental leave), the rest of the benefits are just average.

You need to adopt a 17yo that's about three months from his/her 18th birthday. You take your leave, then he/she takes theirs :lol:
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:47 am

just brew it! wrote:
Places I've worked have covered the entire spectrum -- tiny start-ups, medium-sized businesses, mega-corporations, a stint at a national lab, and 10 years as an independent contractor. Each had its advantages and disadvantages, and I wouldn't say I have a clear preference.

This is generally my experience too. I've worked for a couple huge corps, and a few pretty small (50-200 person) start-ups. Start ups are more fun, hectic, less rules, but there are things that they are definitely lacking. Benefits (primarily good healthcare/parental leave) and I know a lot of people wouldn't necessarily think about this one, but startups rarely have HR departments, and if they do they just usually aren't very good. It's almost always someone doubling up jobs as HR admin and something else.

Tech jobs in SV are definitely realizing those benefits are a big deal these days though. (though not in SV) Spotify has some pretty crazy great benefits. They offer SIX MONTHS paid parental leave to every single parent. SIX MONTHS. PAID.

Redocbew

Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:25 pm

People who use powerpoint for site mockups need to be stabbed a lot with a toothpick.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:38 pm

Redocbew wrote:
People who use powerpoint for site mockups need to be stabbed a lot with a toothpick.

Wait, what? Was this a designer or PM using PP for a mockup? seriously?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:39 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

Wait, what? Was this a designer or PM using PP for a mockup? seriously?

I'm being forced to (at the moment). I finally threw a fit (well, protested loudly in a meeting with several managers present) about it after this conference last week and all the sudden we've been approved to look into other tools.

Redocbew

Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:40 pm

It wasn't a designer. More like a PM, but yeah I'm not sure happened over there. It doesn't take an engineer to see that these slides have jack to do with anything on the existing site.

Square peg + round hole = good?

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:03 pm

https://balsamiq.com/index.html

share with your (noob) PMs/whatever they are