Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:25 am

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Absinthe would be similarly interesting.

One of the worst substances I have ever put in my mouth was home-made absinthe made by another member of the homebrew club.

And I even consider Malort to be drinkable... though I wouldn't willingly pay for it.

Have you ever been able to try real (i.e. professionally made) absinthe? I think it's quite good, although the flavor is definitely not going to be everyone's favorite.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:52 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Absinthe would be similarly interesting.

One of the worst substances I have ever put in my mouth was home-made absinthe made by another member of the homebrew club.

And I even consider Malort to be drinkable... though I wouldn't willingly pay for it.

Have you ever been able to try real (i.e. professionally made) absinthe? I think it's quite good, although the flavor is definitely not going to be everyone's favorite.

No, I have not tried commercially produced absinthe. From what I've heard, it is probably similar to Malort (both are flavored with wormwood, apparently).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:46 pm

Back at a jobsite this week, and the rental chariot ended up being a Nissan Frontier. I'm impressed; it captures the size, spirit, and utilitarian feel of the Hi-Lux derived Tacoma, back before that model line started super-sizing all of its Extra Value Meals. The one welcome difference is that unlike the old Tacomas, this truck has enough engine to get out of its own way.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:06 pm

just brew it! wrote:
No, I have not tried commercially produced absinthe. From what I've heard, it is probably similar to Malort (both are flavored with wormwood, apparently).

Gross.

I'll stick to Whisk(e)y
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:41 am

Login forms that don't allow you to paste in passwords are ridiculous. We should be making it easier for people to use good passwords not harder.

/rant
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:57 am

Redocbew wrote:
Login forms that don't allow you to paste in passwords are ridiculous. We should be making it easier for people to use good passwords not harder.

/rant

As someone who has had to make a login page for multiple products, there are definitely pluses and minuses. When it comes down to it though if someone really wants to brute force a password, not being able to paste into the box isn't going to stop them. I understand why some people do it, but they should be designing a better process rather than making it harder for people to actually use good practices.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

farmpuma
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:48 am

Free blue wave stickers while they last -

https://act.moveon.org/survey/free-vote ... 269.QsxFcS
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:45 am

At this stage phone only texted code logins are my favorite. They're pretty fast and effortless
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:46 am

95% of the time, yes. Unless you don't have your phone on you or the battery dies.

The Egg

Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:56 am

ludi wrote:
Back at a jobsite this week, and the rental chariot ended up being a Nissan Frontier. I'm impressed; it captures the size, spirit, and utilitarian feel of the Hi-Lux derived Tacoma, back before that model line started super-sizing all of its Extra Value Meals. The one welcome difference is that unlike the old Tacomas, this truck has enough engine to get out of its own way.

We have a couple '15 Frontiers tasked with light duty at work. The V6 has gobs of power, but seems a bit thirsty (could be partially due to a heavy foot). The frame leaves alot to be desired. Small sliding racks were installed, and on the few occasions where they're loaded with a modest amount of weight, there's a scary amount of flex between the bed and the cab. The previous-gen Colorados before them had no such problem.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:11 pm

The Egg wrote:
We have a couple '15 Frontiers tasked with light duty at work. The V6 has gobs of power, but seems a bit thirsty (could be partially due to a heavy foot). The frame leaves alot to be desired. Small sliding racks were installed, and on the few occasions where they're loaded with a modest amount of weight, there's a scary amount of flex between the bed and the cab. The previous-gen Colorados before them had no such problem.

Yeah, I could see that. A sliding rack concentrates the weight and this truck doesn't look like it was built for serious work duty, just camping supplies and the occasional cubic yard of landscaping materials.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:23 pm

Killer NIC has been really great for me using my phone as internet primarily. On average i'd say i can expect a 1.2 megabytes down and a few hundred kilobytes up. Fluxuations and bad connections in certain places can get annoying, but killer does a pretty good job at keeping my netflix or web browser prioritized if i'm trying to download a game in the background or something.

I'm guessing that most of you don't have to worry about it with the silly levels that ground based internet speed is reaching.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 pm

For those who wish to sound authentically English.

https://www.indy100.com/article/british ... om-7340446
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Redocbew

Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHBcVlqpvZ8

I guess even the creators of our future robotic overlords can get bored sometimes.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:09 am

The moonwalking was my favorite part. Super amusing video.

Redocbew wrote:
Keeping your skills up to date, and not necessarily just what you need for the day job is a good idea though. For example, NoSQL didn't exist when I was in school, and now it's in pretty heavy usage in a lot of places. It still feels like a weak spot for me since I haven't done many projects using it. It sounds like this latest course just isn't very useful, so that's when you become that guy in the back with his laptop who spends all his time hacking on other projects. :)

As it turns out, I now get to hack away on projects for this class using the tools of my choosing. The students are dropping like flies. Not an exaggeration to say that 50% of the students have dropped the course. In fact, it might be more. The instructor appears to have given up any hope of teaching us anything himself, and we're allowed to create projects with the development tools of our choosing IF the college already has licenses for those tools. That means that development for native Android is on the table now, and I can crank out the assignments more quickly than I can with Cordova. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:08 pm

ugh, native Java. No thank you.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:55 pm

DancinJack wrote:

I'm doing Kotlin for the next assignment. All the behind the scenes work they did so you don't have to manually wire up inputs and outputs alone make it better than Java. Besides I chose this over Xamarin forms because you told me it's not so bad to go native. Change your mind?

It's definitely different and there's a learning curve but anything is better than Cordova.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:04 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

I'm doing Kotlin for the next assignment. All the behind the scenes work they did so you don't have to manually wire up inputs and outputs alone make it better than Java. Besides I chose this over Xamarin forms because you told me it's not so bad to go native. Change your mind?

It's definitely different and there's a learning curve but anything is better than Cordova.

Oh I've redone a few of my own personal APKs in Kotlin, I just didn't think that's where you'd go first. It's so nice though at least relative to Java. There are caveats to all the ways to make apps these days. Native takes a while, pretty big learning curve, but is almost always the best performing and you can target the APIs way way way better. On the other hand, the pre-built packages can save a tonnnnnnnnnnnnn of time.

I vastly prefer native, but I understand those who don't want to put in the time and work. :)

edit: Also, Android Studio (the native DE from Google) is pretty great IMO.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:21 pm

I started messing around with it this summer and have a pretty good feel for ConstraintLayout and the like already (back when I thought the class was going to be somewhat useful). The previous assignment was storing data on any remote server, which goes back to the original conversation where I mentioned he wanted us to write PHP and somehow run that on the device. Once he said we could use anything we wanted, I picked a free Firebase account. The JavaScript was pretty easy to use, so it seemed like a no-brainer. It's also pretty simple in Android...took about 45 minutes to connect to my Firebase instance and set up authorization. Another 45 minutes to figure out why it crashed every time I clicked the Email Sign-in button, but I eventually found this issue on GitHub. The last comment is mine - rolled everything to 27 in my build.gradle and it worked like a champ.

Now I just have to retrieve the data and do whatever fun things I can dream up with it.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:26 pm

Firebase owns. So many uses. Glad you had a decent time with the native Android stuff though. It can be...messy.

Redocbew

Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:01 pm

Apparently J-Electronics = Newegg?

I bought a cheap motherboard recently, and it came in a newegg box with "For Newegg customers only" promos in the box. Good to know.

Redocbew

Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:09 am

... and I've got a dead machine. Guess it's time to buy some new hardware. Fortunately there's no data loss, and I try to keep the laptop as a reasonably up to date dev box for client meetings, so things could definitely be worse. Let this be the reminder often given by people who find themselves in this situation.

Backup your ****. It's important. :P

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:44 am

Today (10/21) is International Nacho Day.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/51147/super-nachos/
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:47 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Today (10/21) is International Nacho Day.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/51147/super-nachos/

It's na-cho day but it is my day! Ba-dum tss .... I'm sorry
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 am

Redocbew wrote:

I bought a cheap motherboard recently, and it came in a newegg box with "For Newegg customers only" promos in the box. Good to know.

...or they're using recycled Newegg boxes!

Redocbew

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:52 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

...or they're using recycled Newegg boxes!

As it turns out, I'm returning the board and it's getting sent to Newegg Returns. Weird.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:44 am

https://www.amazon.com/pcs-Miniature-La ... 01EI3KZMM/

Make sure you scroll down and read the "Important Information / Legal Disclaimer" section of the listing. I'm really tempted to leave a joke review.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:32 pm

just brew it! wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/pcs-Miniature-Lamps-soldered-resistors/dp/B01EI3KZMM/

Make sure you scroll down and read the "Important Information / Legal Disclaimer" section of the listing. I'm really tempted to leave a joke review.

"This exceeds my daily recommended intake of neon. Also, it's extremely difficult to chew, and the leads got stuck between my teeth."

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:48 pm

Neon is a noble gas. It is non-toxic other than as a simple asphyxiant (similar to Nitrogen and Argon). However, phosphorescent salts lining neon lighting tubing and lead used in fabricating Neon signs may be more hazardous.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:03 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Neon is a noble gas. It is non-toxic other than as a simple asphyxiant (similar to Nitrogen and Argon). However, phosphorescent salts lining neon lighting tubing and lead used in fabricating Neon signs may be more hazardous.

These particular units appear to be old-school NE-2 glow lamps though, which do not contain any phosphorescent salts. The wires, solder, and resistor may contain unhealthy substances though, and consuming them (as well as the glass bulb) may be detrimental to your digestive health. ;-)