Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:55 pm

just brew it! wrote:
RMAing the entire device was a non-starter, as it weighed a couple hundred pounds and was semi-permanently attached to something else which weighed several tons.

Like an A-10??
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:42 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
RMAing the entire device was a non-starter, as it weighed a couple hundred pounds and was semi-permanently attached to something else which weighed several tons.

Like an A-10??

No, different job. For the A-10 the FRU containing our firmware was a roughly 3 lb box mounted in the side console of the cockpit, which could be swapped out by undoing 4 captive fasteners and a couple of cables. I also wrote the code to handle the in-place firmware upgrades the first time around (instead of having to fix someone else's mess), so it generally tended to work. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:11 am

Paid time off is a wonderful thing.

I've only been at work once in the last week.(That was on Wednesday.)

I don't have to be back until next Monday.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:32 am

Well that was easier than I thought it would be. For some reason I remembered installing pfsense as being hard. After the install it asked if I wanted to drop down to a shell to make any manual changes, and then asked again before rebooting. Not exactly the sort of thing you'd see while installing Win10, or even Ubuntu. :lol:
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.