Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:11 am

The best rush hour has consistently been st Louis. The only problem there, if someone gets a flat tire, they'll shut down 2 or 3 Lanes out of 5 for it, no exaggeration.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:20 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
For me there has to be an IKEA less than an hour away. :p

My closest IKEA is in another country.

Would you get hit with import fees from Canada?

I haven't so far.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:22 am

Heiwashin wrote:
The best rush hour has consistently been st Louis. The only problem there, if someone gets a flat tire, they'll shut down 2 or 3 Lanes out of 5 for it, no exaggeration.

And there is ALWAYS somebody on either I-255 or I-270 with a broken-down car.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:23 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
Weve had a terminal in various parts of Indianapolis for a while. As far as cities go, it probably rates a B- on rush hour congestion compared to Dallas, ny City, Chicago all getting a F
Because it is such a transportation hub, I've heard the intentional layout of various highways and rail lines makes it travel better than most for it's size.
It's also flat with no major rivers. For example, the population numbers are similar to Seattle, but Seattle proper is sandwiched between Puget Sound and Lake Washington, and when you get too far East you run into mountains and forests. Makes for a beautiful city, but getting around is a nightmare.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:35 am

The I-465 beltway probably helps quite a bit with mitigating gridlock in Indy.

Unfortunately for Chicago, geography makes a beltway impossible so a lot of traffic ends up funneling through the city center on I-90/I-94/I-290/I-55. And then there's the "Hillside Strangler" interchange just to the west of the city, where I-290, I-294, and I-88 all intersect... the ramps were reconfigured in the early 2000s so the traffic in that area is now merely awful, as opposed to the near-24x7 raging dumpster fire it was previously.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:44 am

hey at least we all don't live in LA, right?

(traffic in LA truly is something to behold. it's so, so bad)
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

The Egg

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:05 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Unfortunately for Chicago, geography makes a beltway impossible so a lot of traffic ends up funneling through the city center on I-90/I-94/I-290/I-55. And then there's the "Hillside Strangler" interchange just to the west of the city, where I-290, I-294, and I-88 all intersect... the ramps were reconfigured in the early 2000s so the traffic in that area is now merely awful, as opposed to the near-24x7 raging dumpster fire it was previously.

Thankfully I wasn't doing much expressway driving back then. Nowadays, the worst stretch seems to be 90/94 from the circle out until 294. I generally just completely avoid it, but I'm not sure what the deal is there, or why they haven't been able to figure out a solution.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:08 pm

The Egg wrote:
Thankfully I wasn't doing much expressway driving back then. Nowadays, the worst stretch seems to be 90/94 from the circle out until 294. I generally just completely avoid it, but I'm not sure what the deal is there, or why they haven't been able to figure out a solution.

2+ million people will do that.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:25 pm

DancinJack wrote:
The Egg wrote:

It's basically hemmed in on both sides for the vast majority of that stretch. Can't really make it any wider than it is.

superjawes

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:41 pm

just brew it! wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
It's basically hemmed in on both sides for the vast majority of that stretch. Can't really make it any wider than it is.
Even if they could, it wouldn't help. Building wider roads to fix traffic jams doesn't work.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:00 pm

superjawes wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

Even if they could, it wouldn't help. Building wider roads to fix traffic jams doesn't work.

Yeah, even the fix for the "Hillside Strangler" I mentioned above suffered from that effect to some extent. While it did make the interchange in question better, it also caused an increase in congestion to the east along I-290.

The Egg

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:42 pm

superjawes wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

I disagree with the logic in those studies. If adding lanes doesn't improve traffic, then the inverse should be true --- that reducing lanes doesn't make traffic worse. The reality is that lack of bandwidth on an expressway simply pushes the traffic burden onto the adjacent surface streets (or possibly other nearby expressways). If they just look at a single expressway in a vacuum and say "We increased capacity by 11 percent, and traffic subsequently increased by 11 percent, therefore it didn't help", they're missing the big picture. Traffic was relieved from other areas, and they also likely still aren't meeting demand.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:56 pm

The Egg wrote:
superjawes wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I disagree with the logic in those studies. If adding lanes doesn't improve traffic, then the inverse should be true --- that reducing lanes doesn't make traffic worse.

The article does touch on that.

The Egg wrote:
The reality is that lack of bandwidth on an expressway simply pushes the traffic burden onto the adjacent surface streets (or possibly other nearby expressways). If they just look at a single expressway in a vacuum and say "We increased capacity by 11 percent, and traffic subsequently increased by 11 percent, therefore it didn't help", they're missing the big picture. Traffic was relieved from other areas, and they also likely still aren't meeting demand.

Part of the article's point is that demand tends to increase in step with capacity though. So you're never going to "meet" demand, since more people will pile on until the pain level again reaches a point where people find alternatives.

superjawes

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:16 pm

The Egg wrote:
I disagree with the logic in those studies. If adding lanes doesn't improve traffic, then the inverse should be true --- that reducing lanes doesn't make traffic worse. The reality is that lack of bandwidth on an expressway simply pushes the traffic burden onto the adjacent surface streets (or possibly other nearby expressways).
You might want to take a closer look at the article, because they do address this:

Wired wrote:
Interestingly, the effect works in reverse, too. Whenever some city proposes taking lanes away from a road, residents scream that they’re going to create a huge traffic snarl. But the data shows that nothing truly terrible happens. The amount of traffic on the road simply readjusts and overall congestion doesn’t really increase.
For instance, Paris in recent decades has had a persistent policy to dramatically downsize and reduce roadways. “Driving in Paris was bad before,” said Duranton. “It’s just as bad, but it’s not much worse.”
And this does make sense if you've been reading the DYMT responses to traffic. We've got plenty of people talking about how they don't like traffic, so if they perceive an area to be a mess, they are much more likely to avoid it entirely, keeping the demand in line with supply.

The Egg wrote:
If they just look at a single expressway in a vacuum and say "We increased capacity by 11 percent, and traffic subsequently increased by 11 percent, therefore it didn't help", they're missing the big picture. Traffic was relieved from other areas, and they also likely still aren't meeting demand.
I think what's really being said is that is that increasing a road's capacity to serve the existing traffic need is flawed logic because it assumes that no new drivers will be added to the equation. In order to get the desired effect, you have to increase the capacity of the road while simultaneously preventing additional drivers from using it. That would reduce congestion (because the demand says constant while supply increases), but it's not been the practice.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:24 pm

IMHO, adding lanes doesn’t help with general traffic, but when there’s a wreck it is less congestive. I’d if 2 of 3 lanes is blocked that is worse than 2 of 4 lanes.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:51 pm

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:58 pm

DancinJack wrote:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4485197/windows-10-mobile-end-of-support-faq

lol

How tragic, does that mean that Windows 10 will follow suit? Microsoft needs that juicy Windows division revenue.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:29 pm

That's gotta be the dumbest question you could possibly ask.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:42 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

We need to work on your people skills, Daria.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:44 pm

ludi wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Daria?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:51 pm

ludi wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

My people skills are fine usually. :D

Also, somebody suggest a dumber question related to this topic and I'll withdraw the statement.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:31 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
ludi wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

My people skills are fine usually. :D

Also, somebody suggest a dumber question related to this topic and I'll withdraw the statement.

I actually tried but you might be right about this.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:08 pm

Just incase you want to see two trucks high five. This was at the baltimore maryland ports. As usual, you can tell it's my video by the reflection of many drones in the windshield.

When drunk.....

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:16 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
ludi wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Daria?

It was a reference I knew he was old enough to pick up.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:37 pm

I think all the regulars (Ben and myself included since we're the "young" ones) are old enough to remember Daria!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:23 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Just incase you want to see two trucks high five. This was at the baltimore maryland ports. As usual, you can tell it's my video by the reflection of many drones in th

We hate shipping out of Baltimore.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:31 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
Just incase you want to see two trucks high five. This was at the baltimore maryland ports. As usual, you can tell it's my video by the reflection of many drones in th

All of the ports are terrible for various reasons. I'm not a fan either but we send a lot of stuff overseas.
When drunk.....

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:10 pm

I'm getting into my thermostat for my thermo electric cooler, and i can't help but take pride in my organization and wire handling skills. For your consideration. :wink:

Story of my life. I'm getting it done, it just aint pretty. :lol:
When drunk.....

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:16 pm

DancinJack wrote:
I think all the regulars (Ben and myself included since we're the "young" ones) are old enough to remember Daria!

I KNOW Daria, but she wasn't really my thing. By the time it aired, I was out of high school and into things like underage drinking and playing four-player Goldeneye (usually whilst underage drinking). I wasn't watching much TV at the time.

My sister, OTOH, was still in high school when it debuted and loved it.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:39 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

All of the ports are terrible for various reasons. I'm not a fan either but we send a lot of stuff overseas.

80% of what we control goes out of Savannah or Jacksonville. A little bit else to Charleston. We’re banned from Miami for whatever reason.